Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

3) Writing a comprehensive "this is an overlooked good movie!" review of something that came out about two months ago strikes me as a little lazy. The OP wants you to find him twenty movies, let's make it twenty really interesting ones that people wouldn't necessarily know a lot about.

Consider me a little lazy, then. If our bookleaders decide that Pacific Rim counts, I'd like to call dibs and I'll write up a formal pitch. I loved the gently caress out of that film, I saw it in the theater literally ten times. I have a lot of words to say about it that weren't noted by critics, as it was commonly dismissed as entertaining but shallow action fare.

A movie about robots punching godzilla can have just as much to say about human relationships as more "serious", oscar-baiting films, and a movie that missed the mark with its domestic audience and whose layers and themes were dismissed by even the critics who liked it deserves a fair shake, imho.

If it's decided that Pacific Rim doesn't count, then I'll write up a pitch for John Carter (with Vargo's permission, I know he was looking at doing a thing with live action Disney films).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Look, I wrote a pitch (while on migraine medication, please forgive me if it doesn't make any sense)

Pacific Rim (2013)

Budget: $190,000,000
Domestic Gross: $100,970,269

Commonly referred to by critics as having "more style than substance", this midsummer blockbuster helmed by Guillermo del Toro did end up recouping its budget - but only with help from an international audience. This film about Gundams punching out Godzilla has a lot going for it: brilliant effects, spot-on artistic design, and a perfectly tailored soundtrack, but that's not all. There's a very human heart beating in the middle. For all that Pacific Rim will largely be remembered for its bombast and grandiose style, its tapestry pulls together most impressively with an examination of its characters. Yeah, you read that right. The simple, familiar character archetypes throughout the film do something special here, not in their individual arcs, but in their relationships - their arc as a collective.

The reason I love this movie that everyone else enjoys for its spectacle, that I really love it, is because it's one of the few times I've seen it purely exemplified where adversity can be overcome by a collective arc. Sacrifice does not belong to our hero alone, but to everyone, and it is not only through sacrificing ourselves that we can overcome, but through accepting the sacrifices of the ones we love (represented with some excellent visual cues - the style is part of how they deliver the substance). This is, at its core, a film about solidarity, with some surprising depth to its symbolism (it's all about the shoes, the acts of god, and the little touches in the drift). These familiar characters may seem simple, but they are people, and it is in how they relate to one another that the film really shines.

Tl;dr - This is a film where the day is saved using the power of love and friendship, wherein the power of love and friendship is used to brutally rip the acid-spitting tongue out of a dragon-dinosaur. That's the best thing I've ever heard.

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 15, 2013

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

I wanted to ask how formal it should be? How much like an academic paper vs a snarky blogpost?

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Yeah, seriously thank you. My life has gotten hectic the last couple of weeks but I really want to finish sperging writing about Pacific Rim!

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

I have too many words, I need to cut it down and reorganize it, but I'm hoping to have it sent in the next day or two. Turns out working the night shift does weird things to your scheduling and plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

It's been a rough time for my family the last couple of months, but I've been chipping away at this thing when I have the time, so if you're still accepting things for a while I'd like to get it polished and submitted :3:

• Locked thread