Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There's also the frank miller Spirit, since someone mentioned comic movies. And I know closefriend has written a lot of words on The Phantom before. IMDB doesn't have the budget of Barb Wire but I'm guessing it was a dud. It's exactly what you'd expect if you update Casablanca for a 90's audience though. I'm surprised Gattaca was on one of those bust lists, I love that movie. What was the movie Fox thought would outsell Star Wars? Didn't they do the same thing with Predator too, expecting one of their other movies would be the hit that year? Frankenstein (1994) also bombed but I like some of the things it did, like having the guys fight over the same woman. Did Sorcerer ('77) "bomb"? It has a new restoration or something this year, good time for reflection. The 2004 Punisher bombed harder than the sequel, if I read IMDB correctly, how'd a sequel even get greenlit?

Just some more ideas.

Edit: Blade Runner, Ladyhawke, Buckaroo Banzai, Kingpin, Cleopatra ('63), Speed Racer, Dune, Catwoman, Death to Smoochy. Oh man Ebert's review of Smoochy: "Only enormously talented people could have made Death to Smoochy. Those with lesser gifts would have lacked the nerve to make a film so bad, so miscalculated, so lacking any connection with any possible audience. To make a film this awful, you have to have enormous ambition and confidence, and dream big dreams."

http://classicfilm.about.com/od/classicmoviereviews/tp/5-Classic-Movies-That-Were-Box-Office-Flops.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_office_bomb reminded me of Head '68, now that's a goofy one.

You can also look at the repeated failures recently to copy the Harry Potter success, like Golden Compass, Cirque du Freak, Percey Jackson, etc.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just remembered Tom Hanks and Dan Aykroyd have had a number of flops. Nothing But Trouble could make for a crazy essay, 1941, Loose Cannons, Stepmom is an Alien, Blues Bros 2k, and Nothing Lasts Forever still hasn't been released in the US (but is on youtube). Tom Hanks was in Joe Versus the Volcano (with a classic review by Ebert), Bonfire of the Vanities was a famous flop that stalled his career, Volunteers took 6 years to make.

Just trying to list some more movies I'd be interested in reading more about, written by better writers than myself :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Post the drat essay anyway, don't gimmie blueballs here.

We should make this thread a repository for cined goon essays on movies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone ever do a Robocop essay for this or one of the contest threads? I'm curious how to explain how Murphy was invulnerable as Robocop in the first few battles he was in, but the ED breaks that invulnerability, then the police (corrupted by capitalism) further injure him. There must be a thematic reason.

Maybe it's connected to Directive 4? Since the ED attack is right after.

• Locked thread