Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Id love to contribute

Pitch: Sucker Punch(2011)
Budget: $82 Million
Domestic Gross: $36 Million

Helmed by incredibly divisive director Zack Snyder, Sucker Punch was a film absolutely stuffed with visual metaphor and subtext that flew over audiences heads due to expectations, marketing and pretty weak dialogue. Regardless, its a tremendous statement on the male gaze and our tendency to "lobotomize" women in pop culture, especially nerdy pop culture. Its a film in which its heroins quite literally physically destroy genres that typically objectify women. The title itself is a reference to the fact that male audiences would go see the movie for the "hot chicks" only to be "sucker punched" by Zack Snyder into showing them that this is what we as a male audience do to women.

Produced by his wife and long time collaborator Deborah Snyder, its one of the most misunderstood films of this era and close examination of its story and visuals reveals a deep, complex metaphor for objectification of women and the male gaze. For example, theres is a scene in which a character, after we see her reflection distorted in the face of a mindless robot, shoots said face, destroying the image that is reflected. Its this type of visual symbolism that thrives in this film and something audiences did not expect and did not catch on to. These are the strengths I would like to explore. Its a film that certainly suffers from some mistakes, but is also too smart for its own good.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Android Bicyclist posted:

Have you seen the director's cut of it? Apparently there's a fair amount cut out that makes the film more accessible. I say this having only seen the film once on HBO.

I have and I plan on addressing this in my essay.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I was supposed to do Sucker Punch but a ton of real life crap got in the way and I won't be able to finish it in time. If anybody wants to take a crack at it in 24hrs its up for grabs.

Sorry guys. Was really looking forward to doing it :(

Edit: Nevermind! I'm going to try my best to finish it next week for the new deadline.

• Locked thread