Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

If anyone is interested in the following:
Bulworth and Deep Rising
Tentatively claiming Deep Rising as I unabashedly love that movie. Seriously.

Are these articles supposed to be more "why this movie is actually good," "why this movie failed" or "Treat Williams represents the struggle between gender relations of Hun Dynasty China and the giant sea worms are Captain Cook and his crew"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Deep Rising
Budget: $45M
Box Office: $11.2M

There was a window in 1997-99 that seemed to be a banner era for poorly performing films heavily based in the water. From Virus to Speed 2 to Free Willy 3.

Releasing within weeks after the unstoppable and acclaimed Titanic, maybe audiences weren't in the mood for a light and horror-actioner set at sea that was Deep Rising. With cartoonish characters, B-actors, and questionable 90s computer effects, it doesn't really do much to put it on par with the Cameron film.

Despite that, I do enjoy the hell out the movie.
My Pitch:

Deep Rising is a movie that is 2 F-Bombs, 400 deskeletonized debutantes and 4 months from being regarded as a modern action classic.
Stephen Sommers is a talented action director, and it's no small miracle that he was given the reigns of The Mummy after Deep Rising sank to the bottom of the Pacific. While Ebert savaged this creature feature for having no depth whatsoever and being "an Alien paint-by-numbers," he neglects to realize that with genre pictures, it isn't big ideas that carry the day, but execution.
And Deep Rising is not short on perfect execution. Each character is nearly a Joss Whedon level quip-machine, and they utilize their ability to make light of a dismal situation perfectly, while the body count rises at a steady rate.
But as I said, the movie just doesn't work as a hard-R rated picture. Released in the death slot of the 'end-of-January' dumping grounds, it's clear Hollywood Pictures had no confidence in this film after their first choice - Harrison Ford - backed out of the film's lead role.

But as a PG-13 mid-Summer action/comedy, this film would have done fantastic. Unfortunately, to get there, they'd need to cut the cursing and the half-digested passengers and crew of the Argonautica.

It's a cop-out to say that the studio is responsible for not making a film the hit it needed to be, but in the case of Deep Rising, the choice to make a hard-R creature feature and drop it in the same ghastly release window of films like Dante's Peak was the death knell for what should have been a fun summer B-movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

The ones I really want to see are Constantine and Josie and the Pussycats.

My favorite part about Constantine is the movie is set in LA and it is raining nonstop. Yes, Los Angeles... noted for its heavy rainfall.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad someone is doing Looney Toons Back in Action, it has one of my favorite casting gags in a movie.
I'm drawing a blank. Are you talking about Brendan Fraser being such a looney tunes mark that he begged Joe Dante to do Taz's voice?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have a fairly well-researched and compelling case that Deep Rising was completely a victim of bad timing and studio fuckery, but very little to say about the film itself - it's a pretty-good monster flick, that should've done generic $80-100m summer popcorn numbers. I don't think it's a particularly great film, but would an article about how sometimes even perfectly servicable films are tanked be acceptable?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Conversely, isn't Constantine supposed to age in relatively close to real-time (or at the very least, acknowledges his own past in the 70s-80s-90s) compared to the rest of the DCU? It might make him too young.
:devil: As a guy who's made multiple deals with various devils from many pantheons, he *might* have gotten eternal youth thrown in at some point. Shame he didn't get a lifetime supply of Silk Cuts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wasn't this a huge hit on home video though?

EDIT: Tharizdun - Deep Rising is a loving classic and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

I agree. My article is 100% about how it's a great summer blockbuster action movie, but somehow got released in the January death slot.

• Locked thread