Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Skwirl posted:

Anybody know the budget for Undercover Brother? It made 38 million, so it seems like it might qualify, but neither Wikipedia nor Boxoffice mojo list the budget.

IMDB lists an estimated $25M.

If anyone is interested in the following:
Bulworth and Deep Rising

I knew a lot of people in the 90s who loved this movie, but Bulworth might be an interesting contender. It's not quite a blockbuster, but it was fairly well hyped and came out as part of a string of politically-themed films about scandalous figures/events that happened to coincide with the final term of the Clinton Administration while he was under investigation for misconduct.

After the relatively popular (and pop-culture) success of "Wag the Dog" and the use of the term by media pundits since, neither "Bulworth" or the even more hyped "Primary Colors" did all that well, and neither recouped their budgets.

Bulworth:
Budget: $30M (Wiki)
Domestic Box Office: $26.5M (BOMojo)

Primary Colors (If there are fans):
Budget: $65M
Domestic: $39M (BOMojo)

I know I'm sort of tempted to do one on Deep Rising (If anyone else wants it, please take it, as I'm just throwing it out there mainly for people who might not have considered it.)

Deep Rising
Budget: $45M
Box Office: $11.2M

There was a window in 1997-99 that seemed to be a banner era for poorly performing films heavily based in the water. From Virus to Speed 2 to Free Willy 3.

Releasing within weeks after the unstoppable and acclaimed Titanic, maybe audiences weren't in the mood for a light and horror-actioner set at sea that was Deep Rising. With cartoonish characters, B-actors, and questionable 90s computer effects, it doesn't really do much to put it on par with the Cameron film.

Despite that, I do enjoy the hell out the movie.

Edit: I didn't notice it mentioned elsewhere in the thread, for anyone wanting to do a double-feature:

Grindhouse
Budget: $67M
Box Office: $25M

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can't recall if this was posted in the thread or not yet, but another potentially good place to find some forgotten flops might be The Numbers.

You can show by release dates and it shows budget/domestic box office in the chart.

For example, to look through 1998 would be:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/year/1998

It's not complete, and it's still probably a good idea if you see something to see if you can compare the numbers with other sites (imdb, wiki, BOMojo, etc.) in an attempt to validate the budget/earnings, too. Also, might be good too to doublecheck overseas earnings to help find films that did poorly both home and abroad.

Some potentially interesting flicks in there, so I'll post a few from just 1998 that MIGHT have some fans in this thread, that I haven't seen posted yet.

Movie: Budget/Domestic Box Office
Hard Rain: $70M/$20M
Mercury Rising: $60M/$33M
Quest For Camelot: $40M/$23M
Without Limits: $25M/<$1M
What Dreams May Come: $80M/$55M
Beloved: $53M/$23M
The Siege: $70M/$41M
Meet Joe Black: $85M/$45M
Babe-Pig in the City: $80M/$18M
The Thin Red Line: $52M/$36M
Mighty Joe Young: $80M/$50M

1996:
Striptease: $50m/$33M (Hey, if people can be fans of Showgirls, there might be Striptease fans...)
Chain Reaction: $55M/$21M
Escape From LA $50M/$25M
Last Man Standing $67M/$18M
Long Kiss Goodnight: $65M/$33M

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 10, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If the criteria is that the film must have made LESS domestically than it's budget, and Wiki can be believed, I think I found a film that someone on this site likely could write a thing on fairly easily...

Transformers: The Animated Movie.
Budget: $6M
Domestic Box Office: $5,849,647

It's a flop by mere inches...

A few more I stumbled upon that might have some goon fans. Like Transformers, they aren't massive budget films, but seem to have enough of a loss to warrant bringing up:
Return to Oz: $27M/$10M
Lifeforce: $25M/12M

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 11, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
There were a couple of movies I'm surprised didn't make the list of selected films. I didn't see anyone pick up The Fantastic Mr. Fox, nor Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I also partially assumed Last Action Hero would have maybe had some fans.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Skwirl posted:

As cliche as it to say it'd be better as an HBO series, an HBO series would be awesome, I always thought James Marsters would have been perfect, but he might be too old by now.

Conversely, isn't Constantine supposed to age in relatively close to real-time (or at the very least, acknowledges his own past in the 70s-80s-90s) compared to the rest of the DCU? It might make him too young.

• Locked thread