Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

mugrim posted:

Sunshine (2007)

Production Cost: 40m
Domestic Box office: 4m

How is whether a film was a flop or not calculated for non-American English language movies? This was a British film and did much better outside the US, it took $28m in non US territories compared to under $4m in the states.

In this case it's still a clear flop as the worldwide box office was lower than the budget (but only by about 20% rather than the 90% you would assume looking at the American numbers), but there are a lot of other British, Canadian, Irish, New Zealand, South African, Australian etc. films that are English Language movies that performed very poorly in America but made their money back in their home territories or in worldwide takings. Do you call the domestic gross the takings in their home country? Is this fair for films made in countries with small populations like NZ where the makers probably assume a more distributed box office? Should a non American film have to have a GLOBAL gross lower than it's budget to be considered a flop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

mugrim posted:

half the cast was American.

Two of the cast were American, out of ten. The others were English, Irish, Australian, Maori, Japanese, Zimbabwe-Chinese, Malaysian and British-Asian. It was a very international cast and whether it was heavily advertisted in the states or not, it made nearly 90% of it's money outside the US.

Like I said, it was still a flop even based on worldwide box office and I'd love for it to be included in the book because I think it's a great film, but it was not an American film and judging the overall success of non American films purely from the American box office could lead to assuming some films that were hugely successful in their home territories were actually flops.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

John Dough posted:

Pacific Rim is considered a bomb for this thread even though it's made back double it's budget already, mostly from non-American markets. I think it's strange that only US returns are considered, at least in cases where there is a big disparity between market returns. It's a useful general indicator though.

Pacific Rim is an odd one too, it's an American film with a Mexican director, filmed in Canada, with a bunch of British people in the cast, based on a Japanese genre and with effects by an American company. Like the Lord of the Rings movies, it's an example of a film with an international pedigree aimed at an international audience. It has a roughly 75/25 split of International to American box office, which while somewhat unusual is not unprecedented. Even Avatar, a huge hit in the states, only did about 28% of it's total business there, which was very similar to the split for the last Harry Potter film and not so different from Titanic. 2012 would be considered a flop in the US but did nearly EIGHTY percent of it's business elsewhere, making it highly profitable overall.

I guess the decision has to be, are you making a book about films which completely failed to find a receptive audience, or about films which were not well loved by American audiences? If you're going for the latter, you are asking very different questions than if you go for the former, as you'd be focusing on a single (if varied) culture's reaction to films that come from a much broader variety of backgrounds.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'd like to see someone do a life less ordinary, maybe in conjunction with Boyle's only other substantial flop, Sunshine. It's not a well loved film and only made back 1/4 of it's budget (in the US at least, international performance is harder to gauge but it at least had a mostly American cast, McGregor aside), but I think it achieves what it sets out to do really well and just had trouble finding an audience

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Constantine was on TV last night. Keanu was not very good indeed. He particularly stood out in any scene with Tilda Swinton.

They should make a Constantine TV series, it lends itself well to the current trends, but use a proper knackered looking blonde Liverpudlian as the lead.

• Locked thread