Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Filthy Hans posted:

I hope someone will write an essay on Color of Night, a movie that can accelerate puberty faster than Adderall and fast food hormone treatments combined. This movie grossed less than half of its estimated budget, which was presumably spent on an ensemble cast including Bruce Willis, Ruben Blades, Lesley Ann Warren, Scott Bacula, Brad Dourif, Lance Henriksen, Kevin J. O'connor, and Eriq LaSalle. It is part psychological thriller and part fever dream, with gratuitous sex scenes and bizarre plot twists. The world of 1994 was simply not ready for this movie.

Sounds like you just wrote paragraph one, why not take it further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Here are some films that didn't make their money back:

The People vs. Larry Flynt
Man on the Moon
The Frighteners
The Mosquito Coast
Centurion
Gods and Generals
The Four Feathers
Wyatt Earp
3000 Miles to Graceland
Enemy Mine
Explorers
Looney Tunes: Back in Action
Holy Man
Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil
Ghosts of Mars
The Ward
Escape from L.A.
Gattaca
Hearts in Atlantis
Freejack

As for me, I'm proposing a double feature.

Dangerous Game and The Body Snatchers

In 1993, Abel Ferrara was supposed to blow up. After the critically beloved, high-buzz King of New York and Bad Lieutenant, he was a hot item. He directed two movies that year: Dangerous Game, an erotic thriller starring Madonna and Harvey Keitel, and The Body Snatchers, the high budget second remake of the classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

They're worth looking at together. Dangerous Game is about a film director making an intense two-hander about a dissolving marriage, only to find that the anger and frustration of the story is seeping into his life and the lives of his cast. Body Snatchers is about a teenage girl who slowly learns that her family and the world at large are being replaced by alien duplicates. Each features unique and experimental camerawork - deep pools of shadow, limited color palettes, and a fluidity of film stock. They pushed the bounds of acceptable nudity and sex in American cinema, and feature moments of rattling violence, religious impotence, and sexual anger. They are among the most courageous films of their era, two deeply paranoid and heartbroken essays on the horror you experience when someone you've known for years suddenly ceases to be recognizable.

The yield? Less than a million dollars combined.

Dangerous Game
Budget: $2,000,000 (estimated)
Gross: $23,671

Body Snatchers
Budget: $13,000,000 (estimated)
Gross: $428,868

An under-confident Warner Bros sabotaged Body Snatchers, limiting its release and shuffling it to the January garbage dump. An underconfident Madonna, embarrassed by the cold reception to her similarly themed Body of Evidence, publicly trashed Dangerous Game, blowing its buzz before it ever developed. They were both wrong, and together they sank one of the most artistically productive years any film director ever had.

If it helps, LOOK AT THIS loving LIGHTING:

penismightier fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 2, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I hope someone does Soldier. I love Soldier.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

There's also Ridley Scott's bombs: Legend, White Squall, and most dramatically 1492. Shockingly, Robin Hood did not bomb.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Lifeforce has some of the best nudity of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I got held up because I just couldn't find an interesting enough angle, but I'll dive back into it.

• Locked thread