Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
I have seen this film a countless amount of times. I have written a major essay on this film in a theory course using Lacan. I have no issue with claiming that this is the best film of the century (which, admittedly, is hyperbole) . I am not really surprised it bombed, because it featured Michael Cera in the lead, at a time when he seemed to be everyone's least favourite actor, and was a difficult film to market. Personally, I wasn't excited to see the film until I read the graphic novels, because the trailer made the film look like a confusing, terrible mess.

So, why do I love it? The language of the film is embedded with video game logic, laid over the reality of Toronto. It makes it appear as if the film is occurring in an alternate universe. But, this appearance is deceiving, and part of the subversive nature which makes up the theme. It is a film that confronts the middle class white male's casual misogyny and racism. The same male who conflates reality and video games into one inseparable worldview. While Scott believes that he's embarking on a hero's quest reminiscent of a video game to "get the girl", in reality, he is confronting his biggest challenge yet; a woman with a difficult past that he has to acknowledge and not treat as an object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am also dropping out, because I didn't consider how busy I was going to be with grad school, so I wouldn't be able to write anything until the end of December.

• Locked thread