Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's probably the transparency that's loving with your head. Being able to see through the menus is kinda neat, but sorta disconcerting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, I cannot go more than 3 turns without it crash due to some dbg error or whatever. Is that common or do I have a bad install?

Run as admin.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What're the new nations like?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like that defense now pulls from the local province recruitment, thats new right? Its pretty cool. Is anyone else completely unable to use the shift key?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Fuligin posted:

What're the new nations like?
Bertyos is good at everything...as long as they can get their coastal fort only slow-to-recruit mages up.
Vanarus is Vanheim with Bogarus's spells but with WEREBEARS!
EA Machaka has a bunch of diversity. Pygmies, brave elephants, and giga niggas.
Lemuria is extra-spooky ghost version of Ashen Empire.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

amuayse posted:

giga niggas.

Wow, that was loving racist.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
So I conquered a province that had the Throne of Flames in it. It says I have to "claim" it to get it's benefits. Standard, the throne produces 1 flame gem. Claimed, it spreads dominion, blessed troops get fire resistance 3, and it produces 2 flame gems. It is currently only producing 1 flame gem. I moved a mage in there, and he has no options to claim it. There are no special building options in the province. Does anyone know what I need to do to claim it?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lawrence Edward posted:

So I conquered a province that had the Throne of Flames in it. It says I have to "claim" it to get it's benefits. Standard, the throne produces 1 flame gem. Claimed, it spreads dominion, blessed troops get fire resistance 3, and it produces 2 flame gems. It is currently only producing 1 flame gem. I moved a mage in there, and he has no options to claim it. There are no special building options in the province. Does anyone know what I need to do to claim it?

IIRC (and I'm phone posting so I can't check right now) you need to bring your prophet or pretender god there.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Apparently any H3 priest can claim, or the pretender.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Prism posted:

IIRC (and I'm phone posting so I can't check right now) you need to bring your prophet or pretender god there.

Or a H3 priest, if you can recruit one.

Looking at the older nations, alot of them have had their big mages made slow-recruit, to try and limit them. Less big mages around means more communions for battlemagic/buffs, and makes the ones you do have more valuable. Although some nations have had their big mages made cap-only and made slow-recruit (Marveni), which seems a bit excessive to me.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I've noticed a lot of people asking on IRC about keys and installing without the Desura client.

You can download the game client from the Downloads section on the right of the game page here http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

Then go here http://www.desura.com/collection and click "keys" next to Dominions 4 to get your CD key. You have to type it in manually when you first start the game, but that's all there is to it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Will the blood auto-transport-slaves thing work only if there's a lab in the province, or will it work if there's a land connection to provinces that have labs in them?

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
MA Abysia Warlocks are not slow to recruit, but Demonbred mages are. Works for me!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is Abysia still abysmally lovely?

Konec Hry posted:

Read this as MLP LP and got very angry very quickly.

SA's very own master LPer Quovak already did an MLP LP. I'd watch a MLP conversion Dom4 LP if only for the massive, endless, impossibly sweet goon tears.

TheDemon posted:

Of course, this is only a gemgen if you have a disease first. Not sure if anything has synergy with it, maybe Bane Venom Charm if that's still in?

Can't you just get a low-supply province and fill it with lovely troops? Disease will start to set in after 2 turns of low supply.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Tulip posted:

Is Abysia still abysmally lovely?

SA's very own master LPer Quovak already did an MLP LP. I'd watch a MLP conversion Dom4 LP if only for the massive, endless, impossibly sweet goon tears.

Can't you just get a low-supply province and fill it with lovely troops? Disease will start to set in after 2 turns of low supply.

Nah you need commanders, and commanders are exempt from the detrimental effects of supply.

Jaur
Jun 5, 2005

uguu~

Reason posted:

I like that defense now pulls from the local province recruitment, thats new right? Its pretty cool. Is anyone else completely unable to use the shift key?
I also can't use the shift key.

But god drat all of these improvements are brilliant. Definitely worth the cost to upgrade if you spent a lot of time playing dom3.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Don't think I ever had this one happen in a Dom3 game.. let's see what we got here.

An insane commander.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, I have some money and I liked the last one, think I might preorder this. Real-life stuff screwed me over a bit when I tried to play with goons a year or so ago, but fortunately that stuff's taken care of.

Since we're discussing whether or not nations are still good/bad, is Caelum still self-defeating with their unique stuff? They were neat as hell but them more or less killing themselves sucked.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jaur posted:

I also can't use the shift key.

But god drat all of these improvements are brilliant. Definitely worth the cost to upgrade if you spent a lot of time playing dom3.

Weird my shift works on my laptop, but not my desktop

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Reason posted:

Weird my shift works on my laptop, but not my desktop

Restarting fixed the shift key for me.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
About the disease gem-gen - at present it is unique in the beta, so I would not particularly worry about a strategy based on them unless/until that changes. I mean, 1 gem per turn isn't NOTHING, but it also isn't something to build a strategy around - especially by the time Con 8 rolls around.

I've been playing the beta, and I really like all the interface improvements. It feels much more usable.

Astral got pretty nerfed at present, in that Ring of Sorcery/Ring of Wizardry got pushed to requiring S7/S8 for forging. This means it's a lot harder to get them to use to booster yourself up other paths, unless you burn gems on empowerment, or have unaided S5 AND a head slot and earth access, or have artifact astral boosting items.

Also: I've been running a game for a long time to try new spells and look at new items etc. Around early Year 8, it started giving me messages every month about the stars being right for blood magic and therefore blood magic being cheaper. This seems to be a 20% off to blood costs for spells, and it happens every month. Anyone else seen this?

Great Gray Shrike fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 2, 2013

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Has anyone been able to get the Mac version to run? I bought it from Desura but it crashed as soon as I entered my serial number and now it crashes immediately when I start it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Earth boosters seem to be nerfed as well. On the other hand, pikes+line formation can mow through indies extremely well.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

Hm, I have some money and I liked the last one, think I might preorder this. Real-life stuff screwed me over a bit when I tried to play with goons a year or so ago, but fortunately that stuff's taken care of.

Since we're discussing whether or not nations are still good/bad, is Caelum still self-defeating with their unique stuff? They were neat as hell but them more or less killing themselves sucked.

Well no more insane raiding strategies involving Eagle Kings. Just Mammoths and Seraph Researchers.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Dwarven Hammers are now a flat 2 gem discount, Hammer of the Forge Lord 4 gems. So still super good for mass producing cheap thug gear, but you no longer need to kill yourself if you can't get them and want to make an expensive item someday. Also like a billion other really cool and good changes. New Demon Lords! New Horrors! Hooray.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Pumping out all those troops with repeat recruitment makes me happy. Like a bunch of freshly made cookies. Smell that new troop smell.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Victor Vermis posted:

An insane commander.

That is a man with a fish, perfect material for the OP.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

An insane commander.

His weapon is a cod :stare:

e: DAMNIT

I think I'll get ahold of this game as soon as I can; it looks awesome.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I got another one about a year later. Misfortune 2. Jerks.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

I got another one about a year later. Misfortune 2. Jerks.

Did he destroy any temples yet?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Since he's Mindless, he could actually be useful under the right circumstances. IIRC, mindless commanders are actually fairly rare in Dom3. 10 leadership could do some damage as a raider with the right troops and a little gear. Assuming that he's only 25% insane, not totally loopy.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Booster Changes in the Beta as far as I can tell (using the wiki as a baseline):

Air:
Winged Helmet: Cost from 25 air to 20 air.
Bag of Wind: Requirements from 4 air to 5 air.
Robe of the Magi: req from 5 air 5 blood to 6 air 6 blood.
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from A25/E25 to A20/E20.

Tome of High Power: Unchanged.

Astral:
Crystal Coin: unchanged
Starshine Skullcap: unchanged
Ring of Sorcery: cost from 40 astral to 55 astral, req. from 5 astral to 7 astral
Ring of Wizardry: cost from 65 astral to 70 astral, req. from 6 astral to 8 astral.

Tome of High Power: unchanged
Dimensional Rod: Unchanged
Forbidden Light: Cost 25 astral 25 fire to 30 astral 30 fire, req. from S4/F4 to S5/F5.
Atlas of Creation: NEW. Artifact. E5/A5 + 30 gems of each, gives +1 Earth, +1 Astral, +1 Nature. Also gives castable spell that reveals all sites in the province where the Atlas is located

Blood:

Blood thorn from 25 to 20 slaves.
Armor of Souls: Requirement from B5 to B6.
Armor of Twisting Thorns: Unchanged.
Brazen Vessel from B4 to B5, from 25 slaves to 30.
Robe of the Magi: req from 5 air 5 blood to 6 air 6 blood.

Flesh Ward: Requirement from B5 to B6.
Tome of the Lower Planes: Unchanged.
Black Book of Secrets: Unchanged.

Death:

Skull Staff: Unchanged.
Skull Face: From D4/25 gems to D5/30 gems.

Sun Slayer: Req. D5 to D6.
Flailing Hands: Unchanged.
Jade Mask: Cost from 65 to 55 death gems, path req from 6 to 7 death.
Scepter of Dark Regency: Death bonus +3 to Death Bonus +2. Req. from 5D to 6D.
Black Book of Secrets: Unchanged.

Earth:

Earth Boots: Unchanged.
Blood Stone: Unchanged - except for the free gem/turn into a temporary battle gem, which I think was fairly integral to the whole Blood Stone experience...
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from A25/E25 to A20/E20.

Pebble Skin Suit: Unchanged.
Boots of Antaeus: E4/25 gems to E5/30 gems.
Sword of Many Colors: Cost 25 earth gems to 20 earth gems
Atlas of Creation: NEW. Artifact. E5/A5 + 30 gems of each, gives +1 Earth, +1 Astral, +1 Nature. Also gives castable spell that reveals all sites in the province where the Atlas is located.

Fire:

Flame Helmet: Cost from 25 to 20.
Skull of Fire: Unchanged.
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from F25/W25 to F20/W20.

The Ruby Eye: Unchanged.
orbidden Light: Cost 25 astral 25 fire to 30 astral 30 fire, req. from S4/F4 to S5/F5.
The Staff From The Sun: NEW. Artifact. S5/F1 30 astral 5 fire. +1 fire magic, +1 fire ritual range, +5 fire resist, +1 temp. fire gem. 2 handed.

Nature:

Thistle Mace: Unchanged.
Treelord's Staff: Req from N5 to N6.
Moonvine Bracelet: Unchanged.
Armor of Twisting Thorns: Unchanged.

Atlas of Creation: NEW. Artifact. E5/A5 + 30 gems of each, gives +1 Earth, +1 Astral, +1 Nature. Also gives castable spell that reveals all sites in the province where the Atlas is located.

Water:

Robe of the Sea: Unchanged.
Water Bracelet: Unchanged.
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from F25/W25 to F20/W20.

Orb of Atlantis: Unchanged.

Holy:

Biggest change: I actually care about boosters for this now that there are thrones to capture and not all nations have native H3 priesting.

Immaculate Shield. NEW. Artifact. F3/15 gems, S2/10 gems, +1 Holy, +2 Awe, 23 prot, -1 def, 9 parry, 1 enc.
Sword of Injustice from 25 gems to 20 gems.
Sword of Justice unchanged.

OTHER new items:

A set of Unique 'Dawn' Equipment with lore that it belonged to Enkidu. Sword, Shield, Helmet, and Armor. This actually seems to really suck right now except MAYBE as an anti-demon fighter if the enemy is using ONLY demons. It just doesn't provide the necessary level of offense and crowd damage to really do anything against swarms of opponents.
A unique Helmet of Perfection - W3A3 and 15 gems of each, 25 Prot and Awe +5.

A construction 6 Bow for D3/15 gems and A1/5 gems that does 3x14 armor piercing and anything it kills resurrects as a soulless.
Construction 2 Helmet for N1/5 gems with Luck and Poison Resist but no armor.
Construction 6 E4/20 gem helmet that onbattlespells ironskin.
Construction 4 shield F2/10 gems with 23 prot, -1 def, 9 parry, 1 enc, 15 fire resist.
Construction 2 armor A1/W1 5 water gems 5 air gems, gives 13 prot, 1 enc, -1 def, +3 Magic Resist.
Construction 2 misc. E1/5 gems for +2 Magic Resist.
Construction 4 misc. E1/N1 5 gems of each for luck and shock resist +5.
Construction 4 misc. N1 to make a non giant unit giant sized (size 4).
Construction 4 misc. N5/30 gems to cure wearer of disease.

A bunch of 5 gem artifacts that boost ritual range.
A bunch of misc slots for messing with people's passive scouting info:
- at Constr 2, A2/N1 + 10 air and 5 nature to make 25 units invisible to scouting.
- At Constr 2, D1/N1 + 5 of each gem to make an army appear +50 units bigger.
- At Constr 4, A2 + 10 Air gems to make an army +75 units bigger.
- At Constr 6, A4 to make an army appear to all be the same unit type.
A bunch of cheap items that give a lot of stealth.
A bunch of items now give wound prevention (prevents afflictions apparantly)

Great Gray Shrike fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 3, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

That's a great collection of stuff, thanks!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Did he destroy any temples yet?

He "preached", did some "site searching" every other turn (no paths in anything, naturally). I tried to build a fort with him but he decided to do his own thing the very next turn and when I tried to continue building there was no sign of any building in progress. No sign of my money, either.

Fed him to indies.

In other news, Arco's Engineers REALLY don't like long, drawn-out sieges.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Gilgameshback posted:

Has anyone been able to get the Mac version to run? I bought it from Desura but it crashed as soon as I entered my serial number and now it crashes immediately when I start it.

Yes, it's a bit funny though. The game's sound is playing up, which is what is causing it. So the way to do it is to disable sound before you go in. The only way I know how to do it on a mac is this way:

1. Right click, or ctrl click on the Dominions4 app and select 'open package contents'
2. Select Contents Folder
3. Select the MacOS Folder
4. Open Terminal
5. Click and drag the Dominions4 unix executable file into terminal
6. At the end of the line " -s"

^ Make sure you include the space, but don't include the quotation marks.

7. Press Enter, the game should load up normally.
8. Disable sound in menu

After you do that, the game should load without needing to do those steps.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Lord Windy posted:

Yes, it's a bit funny though. The game's sound is playing up, which is what is causing it. So the way to do it is to disable sound before you go in. The only way I know how to do it on a mac is this way:

1. Right click, or ctrl click on the Dominions4 app and select 'open package contents'
2. Select Contents Folder
3. Select the MacOS Folder
4. Open Terminal
5. Click and drag the Dominions4 unix executable file into terminal
6. At the end of the line " -s"

^ Make sure you include the space, but don't include the quotation marks.

7. Press Enter, the game should load up normally.
8. Disable sound in menu

After you do that, the game should load without needing to do those steps.

This worked perfectly, thanks so much!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

He "preached", did some "site searching" every other turn (no paths in anything, naturally). I tried to build a fort with him but he decided to do his own thing the very next turn and when I tried to continue building there was no sign of any building in progress. No sign of my money, either.

Fed him to indies.

Ahh, got insanity mixed up with shattered soul. Is that still A Thing in Dom4? Has anybody seen it in use yet?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Ahh, got insanity mixed up with shattered soul. Is that still A Thing in Dom4? Has anybody seen it in use yet?

To the best of my knowledge, they're the same thing. Maybe they have a different set of non-actions to pull from?

Edit: Judging from the listed item paths/costs above, they're now separated? But costs do still seem to go up by increments of 5.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 3, 2013

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
:siren: I've updated the Goon Game Service to be compatible with Dominions 4 :siren: for anyone crazy enough to try multiplayer on the beta. I haven't tested the implementation very thoroughly, so it will probably have some bugs. One aspect that could be particularly bug-prone is nation IDs, since I didn't have a list to look at. I managed to make a decent preliminary list from looking at a few nation ID's from .2h files, but there could definitely be some incorrect ones.

Let me know if you find any bugs/feature requests! Either shoot me a PM or message me on IRC. I can provide my preliminary nation IDs and protocol details on request too.

Oh, I added some new colors too.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Is Dom 4 any easier to learn than 3? My main complaint of that game was that I never felt confident that I knew what I was doing well enough to ever try multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I can't be sure yet. I've only played a couple of turns and looked at the Pretender builder for a few hours. For example, the Beta download doesn't seem to have the manual, so there are a lot of mechanics that I'm seeing, but not necessarily understanding.

While it seems like a lot of the more non-intuitive mechanics have been dealt with and the UI is friendlier, there is also more complexity coming from spells and recruitment.
Fortunately, team games are a standard option, so it should be easier to get into MP that way.

• Locked thread