Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a spell that lets unmoveable pretenders search for magic sites? That's more or less why I've always been hesitant to play one.

Edit: I somehow managed to miss all of them but the one for Arcane sites for the last 7 years.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pomp posted:

Is there a spell that lets unmoveable pretenders search for magic sites? That's more or less why I've always been hesitant to play one.

There isn't one that will allow you to search remote provinces with a pretenders magic paths, but having 2 in a path allows you to cast a sitesearch spell for that path which reveals all sites of that path in a province.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

:siren: I've updated the Goon Game Service to be compatible with Dominions 4 :siren: for anyone crazy enough to try multiplayer on the beta. I haven't tested the implementation very thoroughly, so it will probably have some bugs. One aspect that could be particularly bug-prone is nation IDs, since I didn't have a list to look at. I managed to make a decent preliminary list from looking at a few nation ID's from .2h files, but there could definitely be some incorrect ones.

Let me know if you find any bugs/feature requests! Either shoot me a PM or message me on IRC. I can provide my preliminary nation IDs and protocol details on request too.

Oh, I added some new colors too.

What you really need to do is make it so various unit sprits appear flanking each of the games for maximum fun.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
On immobile sitesearching: there are a few options.
Each path has an individual site search spell. It costs a couple gems and reveals all sites in that specific path.
There are a couple multi search spells. If you are underwater, voice of tiamat searches all the elemental paths (AWEF) using water gems. For a massive 25 astral and a S3 caster turn, acashic knowledge (formerly acashic records) reveals all sites in any province, including holy.
Finally; Immobiles can be moved a few ways - teleport definitely works, and I think most other transport magic does too, eg cloud trapeze etc. Not sure about Stygian paths or other spells. This is inefficient though - every province you want your immobile to leave will need a lab. Its more a handy trick for moving a big caster immobile onto a useful bonus site.

Overall though Immobiles are better as cost- efficient ritualists and forgers.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Victor Vermis posted:

In other news, Arco's Engineers REALLY don't like long, drawn-out sieges.

:stare:

:dance:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Update notes popped up when I launched a few minutes ago.

code:
GAME
Air shield from throne show in bless info
Alchemy bonus didn't work
Changed maximum number of thrones
Could get non water breathing retinue under water.
Crossbredding had good/bad monster switched
Don't show retinue popup for monsters without retinue
Dragons could not shape change on first turn
Ermor etc. did not get their special holy spells
It's no longer possible to start dead because of high age
Modified reanimation numbers
Never start with no sound unless -s is used
Random event fixes
Stat fixes
Throne dark vision effect did not only affect blessed units
Turn off music for network server
Typos fixed

MAC
Sound on caused game to crash

WINDOWS
Updated windows SDL version
edit: err.. it's from 11 hours ago, apparently, so it's not exactly new.

edit2: Had a game going where I could conveniently check the Crossbreeding change using a Freak Lord with the innate (10) boost to casting it:

Before :black101:

After :smith:

edit3: Siege Bonus on Arco's Engineer is back down to (25)

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 3, 2013

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
Debug mod (gives 1 gem wish, most spells at 0 research and all 9 caster) works for dom 4 as well in case anyone was wondering. Mods are stored in your user directory now and there's a handy button under game tools in the menu to take you there.

edit: also looks like the chalice doesn't work on tarts anymore.

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 3, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fleur Bleu posted:

edit: also looks like the chalice doesn't work on tarts anymore.

How do they want you to heal undead then?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Lilli posted:

Gift of Health?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
My guess is they don't!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Would be nice if there was a special spell/item under enchantment or construction for healing undead. GoH for Tarts is hopefully dead though. Have they diversified the selection of summonable SCs at all or will that have to wait for the CBM port?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I would not expect SCs to really be a thing unless you go out of your way to aim a game's settings at them or you start playing with mods. Research across the board is slower, recruiting your good mages is slower, and bootstrapping your way into other paths is much more difficult.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It seems like a lot of the changes they've made to the game are mean to de-emphasize supercombatants and promote conventional armies and battlemagic in the end game. I think that's cool!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

It seems like a lot of the changes they've made to the game are mean to de-emphasize supercombatants and promote conventional armies and battlemagic in the end game. I think that's cool!

Stretching the midgame is definitely a plus to me! I've always been partial to A nations and they kinda get hosed (at least in vanilla) unless you had bootstrapped into something else for the late game. I'll get to play with lightning for longer before it goes obsolete :science:.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Lilli posted:

Did some SP testing - GoH still works on Tarts, so I would assume that carries over to all undead.

How are u posted:

Some of the changes are probably actually counter-productive to that goal - making boosters harder to get will really hurt nations with limited path spreads available to them.
And the removal of the ability to adjust taxes is also going to hurt nations in the long run. (No more LA Man patrol-tax-CASTLE SPAM cycle, for example.)

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Kenlon posted:

(No more LA Man patrol-tax-CASTLE SPAM cycle, for example.)

That was a theorycraft myth anyway. It hurts blood nations more than anything else.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Incy posted:

That was a theorycraft myth anyway. It hurts blood nations more than anything else.

If I understand the new system correctly, it will just force you to spread out blood hunting and take order for the passive unrest reduction. Hopefully there's a better way to move slaves around without labs as the micro with scouts was already rather annoying :(

Don't hate on LA Man's castles. That was all I did when I got them in multiplayer and it worked well enough to annoy anyone trying to siege my un-siege-able castles. You aren't going to win as LA Man anyways so might as well annoy your neighbors!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Incy posted:

Wasn't a myth - I did it myself, and while it wasn't perfect, it gave me ludicrous research and income in a hurry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Yeah, it may lead to me being actually able to maybe win a game, so I'm cool with it. (Or maybe not, I'm still mentally wincing every time I remember how Lilli stamped on my great Furnace of Ulmitude. An army of 300+ fodder and a communion of dozens of mages, wiped out. Lilli lost something around five units, I think.)

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
The copper arm is awesome, you can turn your huge chunk of stone pretender into a berserk axe wielding one with it!

:getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

6 armed crone. Make it happen.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

There's no discount for owners of Dom3 or anything, is there? I'd like to get back into Goonmionions MP, but putting down another 35 for this isn't something I'm keen on doing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Culka posted:

The copper arm is awesome, you can turn your huge chunk of stone pretender into a berserk axe wielding one with it!

I'm picturing this in my minds eye and it's loving perfect.

I loving DARE YOU TO STAND NEXT TO ME. COME ON!

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Culka posted:

Game of the Year all years i am sold.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Is there a way to patch the beta or do you have to download the whole client to play the newest release?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Problem: Your god is a pillar of stone with no hands or limbs.

Solution: BUILD IT A ROBOT ARM.

Man I'm going to buy this as soon as I can figure out for sure whether I'll have any money left this month.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The only thing that seems like a weakness is magic duel. But early on, most people won't have that, so just set your monolith to blink or just stick him out way in front. The best thing about this though is that he can now wield Scepter of Dark Regency.

How are u posted:

Somewhat. Since research is MUCH harder at high levels, you're going to have to choose between getting big dudes with Conjurgation or awesome gear with Construction. I guess it depends more on what nation you have now.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 4, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
So I started up a MA game of two teams, with each team consisting of one god and one disciple. Team 1 is Ermor (God) with Arco, and team 2 is Asphodel (God) with Marignon.

Nobody gets to prophetize in Disciple games. The Disciples are effectively the prophets themselves. Notice the lack of "Become Prophet":

Any commander of any nation has the ability "Relinquish Province", making the province change hands to whatever allied nation has a unit also in that province. Allied units can co-habitate in the same province.

You will "see" other Allied units in your province through an accurate scouting report, like when selecting a province held by neutrals/enemy.

You'll get confirmation once you've relinquished, but no notification if someone relinquishes to you.

The Disciples' domain is their God's domain. So you can get Ermor freespawn in non-Ermor nations, like Arcosephale! :hfive:

...but your people are going to die, too. :smith:

And Arco doesn't Dom-scry as a Disciple nation. :smith: :smith:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well at least there's no unrest from them dying. Guess that Kool-Aid must be tasty.
:)

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 4, 2013

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.
It turns out that LA R'lyeh makes a great disciple nation because they don't drive their teammates insane. I'm sure there will be several other thoughts regarding what makes a good team, like picking nations that benefit from similar scales (all moderate-to-high resource nations that can benefit from 2 or 3 Prod, for example). It's pretty cool.

I guess I failed to stay away from the beta completely. At least I have avoided touching MA or any aquatic nation? :unsmith:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Is Summon Ogres as much of a boon to MA Ulm as I think?

Ogres have repeatedly killed my thugs, and the spell is super-cheap. I'm picturing an army of 40 ogres hitting the field the turn after Ulm hits Conj 2.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Ogres seem pretty solid to me, but I am probably missing something. They hit really hard, though, and probably are going to go-to units unless something changes for nations with easy E access.

In other Ulm news, EA Ulm has a hidden benefit/buff - in half (6) of a dozen or so provinces conquered so far, the following are recruitable WITHOUT a fort:

Warrior Scout
Warrior Chief
Shaman (req. lab, temple)

Archer
Axe Warrior
Warrior
Mountain Warrior

While Shamans aren't great, you will still likely want a bunch of them for diversification if nothing else over the smiths, and the fact that they are recruitable at all without forts seem interesting, and likewise for the other units. Getting the Warrior Chiefs is nicer than a typical indy commander also.

Any other nations have this new 'recruitable national units in some provinces without a fort' feature?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The Ur playtest had different recruits for fort/nonfort provinces and also swamp-only recruits.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Is there a good list of nations up anywhere yet?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Somebody posted an image in the PGS thread that has all the nations.

EA Ermor's Flamen and Pontifices are only available without a fort. I'm sure there are plenty more.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ogres seem to get pooped on easily by anyone with decent evo. But they can kill 90% of any nation's infantry and most cavalry too.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The preliminary draft of the modding manual has been released.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you install the mods? The old method doesn't seem to work.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

amuayse posted:

How do you install the mods? The old method doesn't seem to work.

The mod folder is now in your user folders, not the dom3/4 folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks.

• Locked thread