Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Roland Jones posted:

How hard is it to learn Dom3/4 modding? An idea I had for a mod was, well, basically something that tried to bring the bad nations up to the level of the good ones (and possibly bring the absurd ones down a peg or two) without going to AwesomeMod levels or drastically changing their feel. I like both yours and Ninja's ideas, but as you say, you guys put your own spins on them. I think it'd be kind of neat to be able to play all the nations the way they're "meant" to be (loosely speaking; I mean something close to their vanilla incarnations basically), minus the horrible sucking.

We tried to do this for the five(ish) worst nations in each age - making them not terrible. Not making them good, just making them playable. It's way more difficult than you would think to make a nation just OK vs making them OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
First time seeing this, and it may be (may be!) super relevant for Mictlan Blood Hunting in Amazon provinces, if nothing else:

While buying PD as Machaka in a Lion Tribe province, I noticed the green "Friendly civilization" note on the PD card.

Assuming this isn't just a Machaka thing, anyways.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I remember having ridiculous expansion and rolling over everyone with CBM W9 Black Hunters and then they just kept making Machaka stronger and stronger :allears:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

builds character posted:

We tried to do this for the five(ish) worst nations in each age - making them not terrible. Not making them good, just making them playable. It's way more difficult than you would think to make a nation just OK vs making them OP.

A lot of the worst nations weren't really bad on the level of cost and efficiency, but on conceptual levels. Sometimes i can think of things that would really help without being absurd (EA Agartha's oracles should have more than 1 in their loving relevant paths), but i'm really at a loss to think of what would make Abysia or MA Oceania good while still being recognizable.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

So how is multiplayer at the moment? Trying to decide if I should get it now or hold off.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

team overhead smash posted:

So how is multiplayer at the moment? Trying to decide if I should get it now or hold off.

The game isn't officially released yet.... Sooooo nonexistant.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tulip posted:

A lot of the worst nations weren't really bad on the level of cost and efficiency, but on conceptual levels. Sometimes i can think of things that would really help without being absurd (EA Agartha's oracles should have more than 1 in their loving relevant paths), but i'm really at a loss to think of what would make Abysia or MA Oceania good while still being recognizable.

MA Aby was pretty good! For all the UW nations we made everything amphib for a start. For ea aby (and anyone with high elemental paths, really , we made a spell that was half regular damage and half elemental damage. So your f4-5 mages aren't totally useless after a five gem ring.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Lilli posted:

The game isn't officially released yet.... Sooooo nonexistant.

Not true - I have a pair of beta games up at the Goon Game Service waiting for players. We'll probably have to restart the games once or twice as patches come out, but if you've preordered and gotten the beta. . .

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Victor Vermis posted:

Assuming this isn't just a Machaka thing, anyways.

Mictlan gets friendly civ bonuses to their PD in Jaguar Tribe provinces.

Regarding multiplayer, I don't think there's anything keeping people from just emailing a full save folder back and forth even if it turns out the beta can't do normal PBEM.

Of course, that ends up being really slow in games with more than 2 human players.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Do you guys think that Luck +1 is worth getting? Compared to Dominions 3, there are 1500 events compared to 500. Even if I set events to rare and not put any points into turmoil and luck, I get events about 2/3rds of the time.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 6, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a way to make sure that commanders stay in a group? I can put commanders under another commander in Conquest of Elysium, but I'm not sure how to achieve the same here.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Is there a way to make sure that commanders stay in a group? I can put commanders under another commander in Conquest of Elysium, but I'm not sure how to achieve the same here.

Ctrl select?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Anticheese posted:

Hold down control while clicking on commanders and you can sort-of group them. Shift works for grouping large blocks of commanders.

You cannot put a commander under the control of another commander, however.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestRandom:
Mightypeon, Fleur Bleu, Korwin and Roland Jones need to put in their pretenders so we can kick this off. :mad:

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Kenlon posted:

TestRandom:
Mightypeon, Fleur Bleu, Korwin and Roland Jones need to put in their pretenders so we can kick this off. :mad:

Submitted mine.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Just bought the game and im currently squealing with joy over the new sprite art it looks fantastic. Going to take a while to get used to the new UI though its actually giving me a headache due to the size and making me feel a little sick.

Also noticing little things like there always seems to be mercenaries on turn one now and how you can no longer alchemise some extra gold at the start as a nation with fire or earth access + a mage to squeeze out some more units.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Korwin posted:

Submitted mine.

And mine.

amuayse posted:

Do you guys think that Luck +1 is worth getting? Compared to Dominions 3, there are 1500 events compared to 500. Even if I set events to rare and not put any points into turmoil and luck, I get events about 2/3rds of the time.

You seem to get a lot of revolts and indie attacks with low pd now. If luck helps with that, it'd be pretty useful.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fleur Bleu posted:

And mine.

You seem to get a lot of revolts and indie attacks with low pd now. If luck helps with that, it'd be pretty useful.

Are they targeting the low pd provinces? That would be wonderful.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
I think so, some events even specifically mention the low pd.
Also, in an 11 pd province I got an event informing me that they'd caught a guy scouting for an attack and the barbs actually turned up next turn.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is there a list of changes from Dom3 all in one place somewhere? This sounds like more of the same, but a huge awesome upgrade patch :allears:

ed: Also, someone make a Luck3/Turmoil3 race and post the event screens :haw:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 6, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
"The repell system is reworked.
Long weapons are now actually useful. With several long weapons in a square and a low mrl unit attacking you can be pretty sure no one attacks you. So go for barbarians and animals with your pikes. Pikes might well defeat sword and shield units of similar skill lvls.
Difference in weapon length is important (up to 3 i think)."

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1562&st=15

Ulm's pike and axemen are REALLY good now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fleur Bleu posted:

Is there still a cap on the # of events per turn?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Please tell me there is some way to make elements of the UI bigger, the tiny tiny unit trait icons and such are doing my head in and im still getting headaches and nausea from playing the game, if the UI was just a little bigger it would be amazing.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is there still a cap on the # of events per turn?

Maybe, but it's more than three now.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

LordLeckie posted:

Please tell me there is some way to make elements of the UI bigger, the tiny tiny unit trait icons and such are doing my head in and im still getting headaches and nausea from playing the game, if the UI was just a little bigger it would be amazing.

> and < to Change the size of the commander Icons, but appart from that, If there is something more. I want to know myself too...

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey did somebody mention that you can now recruit mages that will automatically be set to research?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There are an enormous amount of quality of life improvements, it's a lot of fun finding all the new stuff.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why are people saying MA Abysia is unplayable in dom3?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Warlocks don't have high enough random paths (2 10% picks is useless). Hard to blood-hunt with cap-only mages.
Dragons are too expensive, and don't get any cross-paths. Old age. Few F2 spells good enough for Salamanders to be useful in battle. Fire resist makes them both useless.
Heavy infantry too slow to recruit in early game & has bad mapmove in late game. Also have enc problems.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Because they're wrong?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

WYA posted:

I have no idea. They aren't a powerhouse but they are a blood nation and you can do a hell of a lot more with them than you can with the true losers of MA like Agartha and Ulm.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And then someone casts Burden of Time and Abysia's the first to lose all their poo poo.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestRandom:

Mightypeon still has not uploaded a pretender, and so we can actually get this game going before they patch again and we have to restart, I've kicked him.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

And then someone casts Burden of Time and Abysia's the first to lose all their poo poo.

To be fair, BoT always fucks over a lot of nations including the mighty MA Agartha. At least Abysia has the Demonbred so they don't have all of their mages die.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kenlon posted:

TestRandom:

Mightypeon still has not uploaded a pretender, and so we can actually get this game going before they patch again and we have to restart, I've kicked him.

So wait, when I asked yesterday I was told it's a beta so no multiplayer but you guys seem to be trying to start a multiplayer game. What's going on?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

There aren't a ton of games happening because it's a beta and new patches might/will probably break old saves, but some of us are dumb and impatient so we're going to play one anyway.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've set up a pair of beta games using version 3.99f (the current desura version) on the Goon Game Service. The MA game just started up, and the EA game still has open slots. If they both fill and people are interested, I'll also put up a LA one.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WYA posted:

Because i'm particularly bad at fire nations and also i was too lazy to specify that MA is better than EA or LA and just said "Abysia" because i wanted an example of a conceptually poor nation other than MA Oceania. And conceptually bad doesn't mean unplayable - it just means that making them good would make them very, very different.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tulip posted:

Because i'm particularly bad at fire nations and also i was too lazy to specify that MA is better than EA or LA and just said "Abysia" because i wanted an example of a conceptually poor nation other than MA Oceania. And conceptually bad doesn't mean unplayable - it just means that making them good would make them very, very different.

You should try both DE and WM. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Holy crap, LA Pythium is nice, all the heretics & 'frontier' troops available without a fort. MM3 Comitatense and MM2 Palatines available at every fort and a MM3 standard to go with them.

• Locked thread