Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Is dom 4 any fun to gently caress around with in single player or is this still an entirely multiplayer game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Speleothing posted:

Holy crap, LA Pythium is nice, all the heretics & 'frontier' troops available without a fort. MM3 Comitatense and MM2 Palatines available at every fort and a MM3 standard to go with them.

More nations should have the ability to raise troops out in their hinterlands, I think. Though it'll have to be carefully balanced to be not better than fort troops, but still useful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone give LA Ulm a try yet? Anything big change with them?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Benagain posted:

Is dom 4 any fun to gently caress around with in single player or is this still an entirely multiplayer game?

It's better than dom3 because of the interface improvements, but I think the AI has managed to become worse. Less aggressive and has a much harder time expanding.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So. Anybody playing the game, is single player actually fun and challenging now?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Nah, the AI is still pretty dumb-dumb. Fun to experiment in though.
Anyways, what do you guys think about having teammates specialize in spell schools? Conjurgation, Construction, and Evocation seems like a good combo.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 6, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

WYA posted:

So. Anybody playing the game, is single player actually fun and challenging now?

AI is, and will always be, terrible. Multiplayer is the way this game can be good.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Anyone doing a nation mod? I'm working on one based on Hawaiian mythos. Almost done with the initial stuff, just need to add unique pretenders and fix up a few sprites.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/an8a2m7i9xni1n4/Sawaiiki+0.6.rar
Forgot to add, it's for Dom3. Dom4 is still a bit glitchy right now.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 7, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Kenlon posted:

AI is, and will always be, terrible. Multiplayer is the way this game can be good.

Yeah theres pretty much zero chance of the AI ever being able to utilise all of the mechanics in an efficient way let alone be able to respond to the billion billion small counters you can make.

e: Ooh im loving new little changes like heat is setting grass on fire as well as other fire spells, the area around where these abysian indies started is all scorched black.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 7, 2013

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Benagain posted:

I think the AI has gotten better. Granted I've only played the Dawn of Dominions map, maybe it sucks on randoms.

It's still not anywhere close to experienced players. It doesn't know any metagame stuff. It plays like a competent brand new player.

boho fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 7, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Despite having Dom 3 and now Dom 4 for years I still can't design a pretender worth a drat. Is there any good write up or advice that can help create good pretender gods for specific nations?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Reason posted:

Despite having Dom 3 and now Dom 4 for years I still can't design a pretender worth a drat. Is there any good write up or advice that can help create good pretender gods for specific nations?

I think TheDemon made a post about it a while back, it might still be in the current Dom3 thread.

Back when I still played I just asked in IRC if I didn't already have some (bad) idea in mind.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Reason posted:

When in doubt, go scales. Here's what I did for Hinnom and some general thoughts on roles. http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/Update%20252/

A lot of it depends on the nation. Really you need to ask yourself "what is my pretender going to do for me?" If it's expansion of rush deterrent or an early research goal or just filling in magic paths or a bless then that will determine what your options are.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Pretender design is best if it's goal-oriented. Pick goals first, build the pretender to fill them, no more no less. The more specific your goals are, the better.

"Get spells!" - bad goal
"Get Darkness by turn 20, Cast Darkness from the pretender with no Boosters, Get Boosters so my cap mages can cast Darkness by turn 24" - good goal

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Curse of the Frog Prince seems pretty hilarious. Its funniest bit is that almost anything you frog will, in addition to getting almost all stats set to 1, will also suffer crippling old age penalties to those stats not set to 1 (frog old age is 7 years). It's effectively a nice nature save-or-die for 0 gems at N2.

I've been looking at a lot of the nations, and I think one of the clear winners of the balance changes is MA C'tis at present: Their Marshmasters are still recruit all castles and not slow to recruit and are as good as ever, and they have new limited-amount cap-only sacred ultraheavy infantry added to an already decent army, and they got several nice spells out of the changes and addons. Mostly, it's people being nerfed around them though that makes them stand out from the crowd, though - a lot of STR mages everwhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dammit, I wanted to get in on the beta but Desura refuses to take my money so gently caress them I'll wait for it to get on Steam.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Started a new game on cradle and took one province and this greeted me.
Anyone else seen this? It doesn't appear to be a throne province.

rzal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 8, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

rzal posted:

Started a new game on cradle and took one province and this greeted me.
Anyone else seen this? It doesn't appear to be a throne province.

Indie provinces can get random events so I assume it was a slinger/infantry province that got an event that spawned a 300 elephant army on top of it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The massive # of elephants was a dom3 bug that never got tracked down.

e: You should post it in the bugs thread on Desura Dom4 forums.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 8, 2013

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

This post has a list of some of the more important items that have changed in the Dom 4 beta. Notably the Ring of Sorcery now requires 7 Astral from 5, and the Ring of Wizardry requires Astral 8 from 6. This affects the Magic Path Booster Guide in the OP.

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=54424&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200#346478

EDIT: Thanks, just discovered the original post made by Great Gray Shrike in this thread.

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 8, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

TengenNewsEditor posted:

This post has a list of some of the more important items that have changed in the Dom 4 beta. Notably the Ring of Sorcery now requires 7 Astral from 5, and the Ring of Wizardry requires Astral 8 from 6. This affects the Magic Path Booster Guide in the OP.

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=54424&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200#346478

It is literally a quote from a post earlier in this very thread.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I looked through the links in the OP but didn't see it so apologies if this is a dumb question: Is there any sort of babbys first Dom3/4 tutorial? There's a ton of info to internalize before you even click play so stuff like how to build a non-retarded pretender and how to actually play the drat game is sort of hard to decipher.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

I looked through the links in the OP but didn't see it so apologies if this is a dumb question: Is there any sort of babbys first Dom3/4 tutorial? There's a ton of info to internalize before you even click play so stuff like how to build a non-retarded pretender and how to actually play the drat game is sort of hard to decipher.

I'm going through this now. There's a tutorial in the Dom 3 manual for really basic stuff. For learning Pretender builds there are some nations guides here:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=38122. The guides are not always completely coherent, but reading the comments on each one provides a basic understanding of the different ways to go with pretender builds - often SC builds that depend on attacking with your pretender early vs Bless builds that take 9 levels in one or two magic scales on an Imprisoned Pretender.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I learned much of what I know from this Let's Play.
http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/Update%2001/

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

amuayse posted:

I learned much of what I know from this Let's Play.
http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/Update%2001/

Ye, read some LPs and you're good to go.
The original one as far as I know, newbie Rlyeh by Matrix.
Some useful mechanics posts at the bottom, also Builds as Hinnom explains a lot (though he's very verbose).
Wiki, still very handy.
And you can always ask things in here!

We've started two test games, so people will probably comment some on differences between dom 3 and 4.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Benagain posted:

Most goons swear by multiplayer and it is very fun, but I never had the time to handle games, they can become time intensive as the game goes on.

I always had fun in single player.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm not serious about multiplayer in Dom4, but I can have fun in both playmodes. Single-player can be entertaining (especially if you want to broaden your horizons by trying out new strategies you aren't sure of against the computer), but it can get pretty grating if you take a bunch of turns in a row, so you might want to consider breaks.

Single-player is definitely aided by the various micro-reducing features of Dom4, and hotseat co-op might be pretty fun. I'm gonna start a local disciples game later today, and I think it'll work pretty well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I imagine single player will be more interesting now since the AI actually stands a chance of winning the thrones victory condition.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The Ryleh LP isn't a newbie game. Though I believe he's not particularly experienced with EA Ryleh.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

There are some pretty cool main screen backgrounds...

e: not the best screenshot of this horizon though

Speleothing posted:

The Ryleh LP isn't a newbie game. Though I believe he's not particularly experienced with EA Ryleh.

It totally is. He put it on the wiki as "Dominions 3 Newbie Game"

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 8, 2013

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

uPen posted:

The developers ditched Shrapnel (and their insane pricing model) some time ago. Dom3 has been sold for as low as $10 and dom4 is launching at $35.

So... does that mean there's no hope for ordering a physical copy? :ohdear:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

So... does that mean there's no hope for ordering a physical copy? :ohdear:
Come on, you've had that option for years :shrug:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Pierzak posted:

Come on, you've had that option for years :shrug:

I meant for Dom4. v:shobon:v

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Yeah, looks like Dominions has going all-digital.

People have been bugging me for literal years about this, so yesterday I finally said gently caress it and drew up a draft of EA Muspelheim for Dom4.

It needs sprites desperately but the troop stats are done and all. I'm working on the descriptions right now. I guess I'm looking for a sprite artist volunteer before I try recoloring Niefel sprites red or something.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Had a spare half hour, made a thing.

I don't have time to do all of them, but maybe it'll inspire someone or something.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

That's incredible. Do you have that in .rgb or .tga (which are the only formats dom4 accepts) or the base file for that matter (psd or whatever)?

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 8, 2013

Charez
May 10, 2013
What exactly are the UI improvements? The ones that I'm aware of are:

More detailed report screen
Can set newly produced mages to auto research
Can set your production queues to loop
Can enable an end of turn warning for idle commanders

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Charez posted:

What exactly are the UI improvements? The ones that I'm aware of are:

More detailed report screen
Can set newly produced mages to auto research
Can set your production queues to loop
Can enable an end of turn warning for idle commanders

Mage paths displayed on icon
Many improvements to army setup screen, including commander in-combat orders.
Servers you connect to are listed in a recent connections list so you don't need a separate shortcut for every MP game you're in.
Improved orders screen for commanders.
Spell info screens are vastly improved with more information.
Monthly Forging

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

TheDemon posted:

People have been bugging me for literal years about this, so yesterday I finally said gently caress it and drew up a draft of EA Muspelheim for Dom4.

It needs sprites desperately but the troop stats are done and all. I'm working on the descriptions right now. I guess I'm looking for a sprite artist volunteer before I try recoloring Niefel sprites red or something.

If you want to just tell me what sprites you want to recolor or alter, and how, I would work on it in my free time. My custom stuff hasn't always been popular with the community, but I could do simple recolors and alters without upsetting anyone I think.

Some stuff I did if you don't remember.

You can just email me at dominions4stuff at google mail if you are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I was always really impressed with your arco sprites they're beautifully done.

• Locked thread