Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I finished converting my Sawaiiki mod for Dominions 4 and I just have to finish pretenders and touching up a few sprites. They're a mid age nation btw.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/77cdmwk12zsg0qz/Sawaiiki_Dom4_Version_1.rar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I love the shark. Will download your mod and try it out.

rzal posted:

If you want to just tell me what sprites you want to recolor or alter, and how, I would work on it in my free time. My custom stuff hasn't always been popular with the community, but I could do simple recolors and alters without upsetting anyone I think.

Some stuff I did if you don't remember.

You can just email me at dominions4stuff at google mail if you are interested.

I think your arco sprites are great. Sending you an email now.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I was always really interested in Dom3, but last time I checked it was still physical only for ridiculous money. Think I'll have to check this one out. It always struck me as a ridiculously complex version of the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civ 4.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I've picked this up aw well, D3 was one of those games I always wanted to play more. Maybe this version will get me to do that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

I finished converting my Sawaiiki mod for Dominions 4 and I just have to finish pretenders and touching up a few sprites. They're a mid age nation btw.

Can you give us a brief rundown of the nation?

Also, where are Kamapua‘a and Puapualenalena? This is important. Thank you in advance.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I remember hearing about night marchers when I lived in Hawaii, very cool interpretation
Probably too contemporary for your mod's flavor, but it seems like as good an excuse as any to create a new immobile pretender:

I'd prophetize for that.

Also, the Wiki article on Haole is rife with possibilities for interesting auxiliary/foreignrecruit units or summons. :)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm planning on making Puapualenalena a hero. I sorta already have Kamapua‘a. He's called the Consort of the Wild in the mod.
Always bet on Duke though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

I'm planning on making Puapualenalena a hero. I sorta already have Kamapua‘a. He's called the Consort of the Wild in the mod.
Always bet on Duke though.

Size 7. Stealth +100. :smugdog:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just won my first game of Dominions 4 in preparation for my second multiplayer game tomorrow.

Against the AI.

As LA Lemuria.

With maximum luck, disorder, death scales and doing nothing but summoning commanders to build more troops, and rolling temples everywhere. I'm probably going to get rolled by a real player. :negative:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Anticheese posted:

I just won my first game of Dominions 4 in preparation for my second multiplayer game tomorrow.

Against the AI.

As LA Lemuria.

With maximum luck, disorder, death scales and doing nothing but summoning commanders to build more troops, and rolling temples everywhere. I'm probably going to get rolled by a real player. :negative:

Everyone gets rolled at first. It's just impossible to really understand the entire game and how all the pieces fit together initially. Particularly when you're fighting folks who have been playing iterations of the game for 10+ years ('sup Archaeo/internet superbot).

But you get just destroyed a couple times and you start to figure out what works and what doesn't and then one day it's your unstoppable demon hordes that are over-running the world. :hellyeah:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah the only success i had in my earlier games was through blind luck more than anything you're gonna get your butt kicked but its a fun kicking.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Are EA/MA Agartha less terrible this time around?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The opposite. More terrible.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does a high dominion scale give the pretender Awe still?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
At least they've got H3s for claiming thrones? StR really screws a lot of nations.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does a high dominion scale give the pretender Awe still?

It does.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

H..How can MA Agatha be worse? It had almost literally nothing going for it in 3. I always ended up trolling neighbors with their unique pretender + dom10 + the worst scales imaginable.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

their best mage is now slow to recruit, and research takes quite a bit longer in the mid levels. their statues are level 3 through level 6, so they're loving hard to get in any reasonable timeframe.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Kristoffer did admit that he didn't scale back the summoned units for all the nations in accordance to the new research costs. The ones he's not planning to scale back, he's going to make the summons more powerful/numerous/cheaper.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheDemon posted:

That's possible?

e:f;b

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Against the AI.

As LA Lemuria.

As long as you do it in a creative way and give your guys entertaining names it's all good. I think I won maybe 2 games in Dom3 and by "won" I mean I was the last guy to go AI.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I still haven't won a game, but I've still had alot of fun.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

builds character posted:

Everyone gets rolled at first.

Heh, says you. :smug:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

TheDemon posted:

That's incredible. Do you have that in .rgb or .tga (which are the only formats dom4 accepts) or the base file for that matter (psd or whatever)?

Sure, no problem.

http://www.llamaserver.net/wolfsbane/Muspell%20Hirdman.zip

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

:woop:Patch Notes:woop:

code:

GAME
Air shield 0 was printed as bless effect
Armies were not draw on right side of widescreens
Asphodel auto spawn tweak
Bouda shapechange 
Cat's eye amultet gave stealth instead of stealth boost
Caves are difficult terrain
Chaos & magic power stats printed
Could sometimes start without dominion
Disable info on other players hides score graphs too
Don't load the same map twice even if it's in both map dirs
Dreamlands start gems 5 -> 4
Drown units after random events
Earth attack no longer works against floating units
Event fixes
Fixed border in maerland map
Friendly dominion reduces unrest
Host crash bug when exploring city fixed
Items slots wrong after arm being chopped off
Lifelong protection gave too many imps
Limited regeneration that doesn't affect lifeless, Normal regen affects all
Message when failing to delete game
Missiles can now strike through shields on high damage
More Agartha specific spells for mid Agartha
Mountain passes are now easily passable
Multiple terrains in same province are now easier to traverse
New descriptions
New maps
New sprites
New thrones and some throne changes
No gold mine for Sauromatia
Nog, The King and the Clown
PD from sites didn't work
Poison resistance spell, res 100 -> 15
Spirit Mask cast fear on wearer
Sprites
Stat and typo fixes
Troglodytes for mid Agartha
MODDING
#animalawe didn't work

OTHER
AI Could design useless immobile pretenders
AI Didn't research and search for sites properly
AI Less evenly distribution of research
Kinda bummed about the Cat's Eye Amulet- I don't know of any other stealth granting items available early on. Stoked to see the BOUDA WERE-HYENA, as that unit is already really damned interesting.

Also.. I take that this to mean that Mountain Survival/Floating/Flying is no longer required to pass through mountains (the orange connectors, similar to blue river connections). Super lame if that's the case as I find it hard to believe anyone's really played a serious game where something like that would come up as a fun-ruiner or whatever. Will have to check this one out.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

amuayse posted:

These are lovely. Especially love the "Lost Ones."

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Bouda's Werehyena form:

Well. It's cool, I guess. Hyena form gets Stealth(40). While there could be some incentive to send this guy behind enemy lines because of Heretic2 & Unrest Increase 2, he takes his high earth/death paths & forge discount with him. Machaka already has spies, though, so he's not really all that much better at doing what they already provide at a cheaper rate and without slow to recruit.

edit: Oh, and Mesmerize is MR Negates, Doesn't Affect Mindless, Range:25, Precision:100, Ammo: 5. Causes Enraged, making the enemy "strike out at anyone, including friends"

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 10, 2013

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I went ahead and pre-purchased this. Currently dicking about in single player with the new stuff; looks like lots of little badly-needed interface changes and a bunch of new content. Excellent.

Looking forward to spoiling some people's fun in multiplayer post-beta.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Is there a quickstart guide? I notice that they haven't put out the manual for this game yet.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
I bought 3, but had a hard time getting into it. It just seemed way too deep and hard to learn :(

I'd like a quick start guide too. Or, even better, a noob's guide to Dominion, or Babby's First Dominion Game or something like that. Maybe even played along with an experienced player who could help me to learn the game as I made plays.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I don't see it posted anywhere, will current Dominions 3 users be able to register their keys once it comes to Steam? It's basically the standard practise but as I said, I can't see it anywhere.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

:woop:Patch Notes:woop:

code:
Troglodytes for mid Agartha

Speaking of MA Agartha, they now have a thing! :v:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mr Right posted:

I don't see it posted anywhere, will current Dominions 3 users be able to register their keys once it comes to Steam? It's basically the standard practise but as I said, I can't see it anywhere.

This has been confirmed, yes.

Also, the tutorial will be in the manual once the game is released. The open Beta is mostly just being nice to long-time fans. As far as pretender builds & long-term strategy are concerned, I'm sure that people will start posting ideas once the current crop of test games are finished. Until then, go dormant scales + minor bless in two diversity paths.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Trogolytes are now slaves and have limited recruitment. :(
There's now a Troglodyte Trainer though. :whip:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
loving poo poo are Dragons tough now. Well I don't recall how bad they were in Dom3 because I never used them but their new breath attack is goddamn killer. I was playing a game as EA Kailasa with N9 E6 bless and expanding merrily with my sacreds. Ran into Ur on like turn 5 so I rushed them and wrapped them up all the way to their capitol. Sent in a canary commander to storm the fort to see what they had inside when suddenly their little arch-mage transforms into a loving red dragon and eats him. I knew my troops couldn't handle it so I just sat on the fort until Ur broke the siege. Scattered my army to the wind, the blessed sacreds didn't stand a chance. So I figure "Alright, gently caress you I'll just Paralyze spam you to death you stupid wyrm" and I come back with every single one of my Gurus and other mages casting Dessication and Earth Grip, the whole nine yards. Well this god damned dragon had 22 MR in his dominion and I must have hit him with 23-25 Paralyzes in the battle before one stuck. Hit him right as the shattered remains of my all-in army limped off the field.

Fuuuuck that! :ocelot:

How are u fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 10, 2013

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
I did some modding back in the day but burned out back. I'm getting back into the fray now and updating my mods to dom4. I recall in the previous thread someone mentioned that they had a miserable time against my warhammer dwarf mod because their castles were too hard to siege due to national siegedef bonuses. I'm going to lower them for dom4. I was just wondering if anyone else can recall their experiences and give suggestions for fixes and the like. Goons probably did not bother to report them in the dom3mods forums. If you don't want to poo poo up the thread you can e-mail me at (insert my username here)@hotmail.com

My mods are/were
EA Alugra
MA Bretonnia
MA Dwarfs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey what gives, this looks exactly like the last game!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

SynthOrange posted:

Hey what gives, this looks exactly like the last game!

Not exactly, but the graphic changes are more in the UI than the sprites. This is no upgrade to TW style 3d battles, but it does feel neater. I've only had time to hit the AI once quickly, but I overused my Pretender and got him killed. (didn't notice the battle wound until the battle)

I'm looking forward to release and the goon games.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

amuayse posted:

Just a couple comments from a very, very non-pro player:

This nation feels like it just gets too much. Sailing, recruit-anywhere sacreds with magic weapons, great if capital-only underwater troops and leaders, amphibious scouts with useful leadership scores, blood hunters, assassins, free points from heat scale (or at least so the description says; the heat scale in the pretender setup doesn't seem to think so), casters with a forge bonus, healing, fortune telling, recruit-anywhere strength 3 priests, oh and a bunch of national summons including unique high level summons. Heck, you even got fancy and included a mage and a few units that can't be recruited anywhere that has a castle.

I'm not saying that it's too powerful, because to be frank I am nowhere near good enough at this game to assess that. However, it does feel like someone just took pretty much every cool tag they could find and threw it into the pot. It's kind of scattered and unfocused. I like it as a concept and I love the flavor, but I think it could use a bit of tightening up and concentrating on what it's supposed to "do" as a nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Zurai posted:

free points from heat scale (or at least so the description says; the heat scale in the pretender setup doesn't seem to think so), casters with

Temp scales now start at the optimum for a nation rather than neutral so you cant get a bunch of free points as hot or cold nations now.

• Locked thread