Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

quote:

Missiles can now strike through shields on high damage
This is a MASSIVE change to game mechanics and a huge buff to archers, especially xbows and any bows flaming arrows.

e: It would now be reasonable to say there's a point to recruiting arbalests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Oh jesus that is big, time to cast skeletal body on all my thugs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LordLeckie posted:

Temp scales now start at the optimum for a nation rather than neutral so you cant get a bunch of free points as hot or cold nations now.

Ah, I had noticed that it started at the appropriate heat scale but didn't think to check if the points added up. Still useful to note that the description states they prefer heat +1 but the scale starts at +0 and gives points and penalties for increasing that to heat +1.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Zurai posted:

but I think it could use a bit of tightening up and concentrating on what it's supposed to "do" as a nation.
Well if it's any consolation, they have poop armor and lovely infrastructure. I do agree it needs tightening up in some aspects, but their core theme has always been "ali'i goes in, priests buff them". Research is considerably harder in Dominions 4, so even though there is a lot of cool poo poo available, it's unlikely you'll see all of it.
Forgot to add
#idealcold -1

amuayse fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 10, 2013

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Zurai posted:

Just a couple comments from a very, very non-pro player:

This nation feels like it just gets too much. Sailing, recruit-anywhere sacreds with magic weapons, great if capital-only underwater troops and leaders, amphibious scouts with useful leadership scores, blood hunters, assassins, free points from heat scale (or at least so the description says; the heat scale in the pretender setup doesn't seem to think so), casters with a forge bonus, healing, fortune telling, recruit-anywhere strength 3 priests, oh and a bunch of national summons including unique high level summons. Heck, you even got fancy and included a mage and a few units that can't be recruited anywhere that has a castle.

I'm not saying that it's too powerful, because to be frank I am nowhere near good enough at this game to assess that. However, it does feel like someone just took pretty much every cool tag they could find and threw it into the pot. It's kind of scattered and unfocused. I like it as a concept and I love the flavor, but I think it could use a bit of tightening up and concentrating on what it's supposed to "do" as a nation.

It's too powerful. Happy to help.

What are their paths like?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There are three main mages. I'm thinking of jacking up their price to like 230 or making them StR.
Each one is either A2, D2, or B2 with a 50% chance of +1 path bonus. They all have heal disease +1, except for the blood mage which has heal disease+2 and heal affliction +1. The Death Mage has a research bonus.
The Priests of the Four has either W/A and a 50% chance of W/A/N/S. The Priestess of Ruin has F and a 50% chance of F/A/E. They both have research malus.
The Ali'i Aimoku has H3 and Sailing and high leadership bonus, but costs 300. I'll probably make him StR.
The Menehune, which is a StR Forest-Recruit mage that is E2A2W1, but also has a research malus. Has a forge bonus of 1.
The Ilahi lord has poor-amphibian, an assassin tag of 0, has N1A1H1, Awe 1, Sailing, and an extremely good leader. StR, Cap only though.
I'm thinking of jacking up the prices all across the board gold wise and adjusting the sailing tag since sailing is actually pretty useful now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

There are three main mages. I'm thinking of jacking up their price to like 230 or making them StR.
Each one is either A2, D2, or B2 with a 50% chance of +1 path bonus. They all have heal disease +1, except for the blood mage which has heal disease+2 and heal affliction +1. The Death Mage has a research bonus.
The Priests of the Four has either W/A and a 50% chance of W/A/N/S. The Priestess of Ruin has F and a 50% chance of F/A/E. They both have research malus.
The Ali'i Aimoku has H3 and Sailing and high leadership bonus, but costs 300. I'll probably make him StR.
The Menehune, which is a StR Forest-Recruit mage that is E2A2W1, but also has a research malus. Has a forge bonus of 1.
The Ilahi lord has poor-amphibian, an assassin tag of 0, has N1A1H1, Awe 1, Sailing, and an extremely good leader. StR, Cap only though.
I'm thinking of jacking up the prices all across the board gold wise and adjusting the sailing tag since sailing is actually pretty useful now.

Or... Crazy thought here: make them worse.

Right now your access is: A3, d3, b3, e2, w2, f2, n1, s1. You literally have access to every path, no disease, assassins with mistform, good leaders with sailing, h3(4 with prophet), research bonus, forge bonus, underwater, PEW PEW PEW LASERS :supaburn: and and and and and

Mod nations being OP is a thing. It is consistently a thing. There are lots of reasons for this thing. The solution is not making everything expensive, it is making things worse.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmm. Maybe nerfing all the mages by 1 path? So it's A1, D1, and W1 with a 50% chance of +1? And sending the Priest and Priestess random paths down to 30%? Sailing will DEFINETLY be nerfed, and there will be a lot more nerfs when Kristoffer finally brings out coastal recruit like he said. I'll get rid of Menehune's forge bonus and replace it with a resource bonus when that mod command comes out.
Oh, and I'm adding Mo'o as a mountain recruit. I don't know if I should make them sentient or non-sentient.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

amuayse posted:

Hmm. Maybe nerfing all the mages by 1 path? So it's A1, D1, and W1 with a 50% chance of +1? And sending the Priest and Priestess random paths down to 30%? Sailing will DEFINETLY be nerfed, and there will be a lot more nerfs when Kristoffer finally brings out coastal recruit like he said. I'll get rid of Menehune's forge bonus and replace it with a resource bonus when that mod command comes out.
Oh, and I'm adding Mo'o as a mountain recruit. I don't know if I should make them sentient or non-sentient.

Why not just get rid of B and S entirely? Is there really a reason that the nation needs those paths? That would also give you an excuse to up the paths or add a little diversity to some of the other mages, since they won't be able to naturally form communions (assuming that's still a thing in dom4). The Ilahi lord seems like it has a bit too much of a mishmash of abilities. Consider removing the assassin ability. Also, why do the mages need disease/affliction healing? There's a very good reason why healing is incredibly rare in Dom3.

If you really want blood on the nation, you might also consider adding in blood hunters as a national summon instead of as recruitable mages. That way their blood income is throttled by their gem income.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE

MrMoose posted:

I bought 3, but had a hard time getting into it. It just seemed way too deep and hard to learn :(

I'd like a quick start guide too. Or, even better, a noob's guide to Dominion, or Babby's First Dominion Game or something like that. Maybe even played along with an experienced player who could help me to learn the game as I made plays.
This game's difficulty comes mostly from research goals and mid/endgame counters & strategies. These can be hard to learn (esp. in single-player) because games are long and human players are dastardly.

Here is a complete newbie guide multiplayer walkthrough of Babby Cthulu's First Clutchings. There are also a lot more Let's Play Dominions games around and a slew of slightly outdated guides here. You can also join irc.gamesurge.net -> #Dominions and noob it up there with questions and blitz games.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
S exists as a rather small random, so I think it's alright as long as I tweak Priest of the Four's random paths. I'm not sure what do about Blood though. Human sacrifice was a thing in Hawaii, but it wasn't a very big thing. Still extremely important though when it was done. Maybe I could just make the blood mage a B1H1 instead? I'll throw out the assassin tag for Ilahi lord, since the Retribution of the Kapu exists as an Assassin spell.

I really appreciate the feedback though. :)

amuayse fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 10, 2013

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

Look at the ma nations, figure out how many paths their good mages usually have (iirc it's 4-5), look at their pricing and then price accordingly. I don't think the issue is having A3 or D3 or B3, but having access to literally all paths (at site searching levels for all but N). Sailing by itself isn't too much, but what other amphibious nations are there in MA? Are you making them the default UW power if there isn't a real UW nation?

S1 is sufficient to protect from mind hunt, magic duel and site search S.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

amuayse posted:

S exists as a rather small random, so I think it's alright as long as I tweak Priest of the Four's random paths. I'm not sure what do about Blood though. Human sacrifice was a thing in Hawaii, but it wasn't a very big thing. Maybe I could just make the blood mage a B1H1 instead? I'll throw out the assassin tag for Ilahi lord, since the Retribution of the Kapu exists as an Assassin spell.

I really appreciate the feedback though. :)

On the one hand, the S is a small random, on the other hand, having S opens up communions. It also opens up a whole host of incredibly useful utility items. It's a very powerful path, and not having national access to it means that players are more likely to purchase it on their god, which is good from a balance perspective (this is doubly true if the nation benefits from a bless, as an S bless isn't as strong as some other alternatives).

If you add in blood, people will use blood. That means that people playing your nation are going to be doing tons of human sacrificing, rather than just a small amount. Making blood mages sacred and spammable makes the problem even worse, since people will buy them everywhere. Making them healers just compounds the problem even further, since now they're useful even outside of blood hunting and combat.

The problem isn't that individual units are too strong, but rather that you've just got too much going on. Healers are powerful, sailing is powerful, access to lots of paths is powerful, blood is incredibly powerful, H3 priests are powerful, etc. Reign some things in. For a nation based on islanders, sailing fits thematically; I'd consider keeping that. Healers might feel thematic (everyone has doctors after all), but they're very strong and very rare for a reason; it's probably best to just axe that ability. Blood is the sort of thing entire nations are built around. Adding blood in just to add some flavor doesn't work well, because players will convert their entire economy to blood hunting if and when they can. If you really want to add in some blood flavor, gate it behind some expensive (gemwise, researchwise, or both) national summons to at least delay the inevitable. Does your nation really need access to every path in the game? Removing access to the strongest paths (B and S) gives you an excuse to make your mages more heavily focused on their remaining paths, which increases the number of cool things they can do.

Remember, almost every culture has really diverse myths that can be used to justify adding almost anything. Make sure you focus on what makes the nation you're making unique and balanced, rather than just adding in everything because it's mentioned in a random myth somewhere. Figure out a central theme and stick to it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Here's the thing. There's a difference between blood magic & blood sacrifice. You could give #sacrificedom with no blood mages (like Dom3 Marverni), and either force decisions about whether to spend time building up an economy, or give a douse bonus to one of the units.

Unless you want the nation to be summoning demons, it's generally inappropriate to give out B paths. The use of Blood in magic & religous ceremonies was common throughout the world, it's a question of whether it was really that common, and whether it thematically fits with the 'Demonic' nature of B in the Dominions universe

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Okay, I can throw out blood. I'll keep that one astral summon, since that'll probably be reserved for the pretender to cast if they really need it. Astral will still exist as a 7.5% random chance on one unit.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The best "splash blood" nations had literally no blood on their rosters. Dom3 Marverni had the capability to blood sac but not recruitable blood, not even randoms. MA Mictlan had a 2.5% random of B1 and Mictlan's blood summons. Bandar Log and Patala had Lanka's blood summons but no blood recruitables at all. All of those nations still ended up leveraging blood as a major strength in the lategame. Marverni less so, but blood sac vic as an option is never unviable.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
That does sound like a pretty good idea. I'll think about adding blood sac. The previous bloodmage could simply be a minor priest healer that has a small douse bonus.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm looking for a list of nations in each era, and the magic paths they can get on their recruitable mages. Does anyone know if something like this exists, or will I need to make it myself?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Can you add a douse bonus to units without any blood skill?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Darn, you're right. Even tried doing the whole 1 path with -1 path malus trick. Douse doesn't count for poo poo if you don't have blood. Oh well, I'll keep the Olohe Kaupe as a blood summon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

That does sound like a pretty good idea. I'll think about adding blood sac. The previous bloodmage could simply be a minor priest healer that has a small douse bonus.

You can also give the very expensive h3s a 10% chance of b1. Something like that. But I really do suggest looking at total paths for ma, deciding which paths you want to give and then using that as your primary framework. If most nations get one 5 level Mage and one two level Mage and they get 4 paths then that's one thing. If it's level 4 and level one and only two paths that's very different.

All of this ignores the recruit everywhere sacred with magic weapons.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I was sorta going toward's Tien Chi's approach with lots of paths, no general specialty.
Here's the revised version then:
Priest of the Four H1 A/W with 30% NWAS Research Malus 175
Priestess of Ruin H1 F with 50% FWE Research Malus 150

Hoʻounāunā A1 with 50% AW Fortune Teller 10% 170
Nānāuli D1 with 50% ND Research Bonus 180
Oneoneihonua Disease/Affliction Healer 1 with 10% B 160

Menehune N2E1 StR Forest-Recruit 200 Gold
Mo'o N4W1 Sacred StR StR Mountain-Recruit 400 Gold

Ali'i Aimoku is H3 has 10% B and StR.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

ZLogic posted:

This game's difficulty comes mostly from research goals and mid/endgame counters & strategies. These can be hard to learn (esp. in single-player) because games are long and human players are dastardly.

Here is a complete newbie guide multiplayer walkthrough of Babby Cthulu's First Clutchings. There are also a lot more Let's Play Dominions games around and a slew of slightly outdated guides here. You can also join irc.gamesurge.net -> #Dominions and noob it up there with questions and blitz games.

Awesome, thanks! I'll read through that lets play and try to get started!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well, Dom3 is on Steam now and it's only 20 bucks! Crossing fingers for Dom4.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/248510/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Looks like you can't register regular Dominions 3 keys, though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Registered my Gamer's Gate copy at lunch. I guess it depends on where you bought it from. Long time players get hosed? :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My physical key doesn't work.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dis astranagant posted:

My physical key doesn't work.

Same here. I imagine they'll put up a page where you can plug in a physical key and it'll spit out a steam key but who knows.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
TestCradle and TestRandom:

I have updated to 3.99g because it didn't blow when I tested it locally.
Upgrade your clients, and hope it doesn't go too insane.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

I was sorta going toward's Tien Chi's approach with lots of paths, no general specialty.
Here's the revised version then:
Priest of the Four H1 A/W with 30% NWAS Research Malus 175
Priestess of Ruin H1 F with 50% FWE Research Malus 150

Hoʻounāunā A1 with 50% AW Fortune Teller 10% 170
Nānāuli D1 with 50% ND Research Bonus 180
Oneoneihonua Disease/Affliction Healer 1 with 10% B 160

Menehune N2E1 StR Forest-Recruit 200 Gold
Mo'o N4W1 Sacred StR StR Mountain-Recruit 400 Gold

Ali'i Aimoku is H3 has 10% B and StR.

Nooooo, too much nerfing (who compares to five paths for 400 gold for a ma human mage?). I think (without checking too much) that caelum and ctis are the two nations with good recruit everywhere mages. And then there's shinu with one of, if not the, best mages in the game. The bakemono sorcs singlehandedly make shinu good. Anyway, the high seraph's and marshmasters both get six paths. From dom3 wiki, High seraphs are 270, marsh masters 220.

MA TC on the other hand gets cap only mages with seven paths and then recruit everywhere with only two (+10%). None of these nations get particularly great troops. Why not figure out which paths you want the nation to have (why the sudden focus on N instead of W/A/D/F/E? All of which seem equally appropriate for islands or sailing or volcanoes?) and then build around whatever your main Mage or mages are going to be? Also, I would be frustrated to play a nation where my best Mage is mountain recruit only. I would be very careful with terrain restrictions like that. Hinnom's wasteland only restriction on summons is, by way of example, just not fun to play with and that's just summons. Even if it is thematic. But just because the devs do unfun thematic things does not mean you should join them.

For what it's worth, I think you'd be fine with something like three different mages, one volcano (e/f), one water and sailing (w) and one jungle (n). Make the volcano and water your big ones and then the jungle the small ones and balance from there, bearing in mind that e/f is a good combo. Maybe a little more background on each of the mages (or cp/SS of their descriptions) would be helpful in apportioning paths.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, I'll think of something.
The Mo'o aren't human btw. They're very big lizards.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Our magical paths are backed by nuclear weapons!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1590&st=0

This dom4 map looks really nice.

EDIT:
Does anyone have tips for fighting Ashen Empire Ermor as MA Jotunheim with Alteration and Construction researched to level 6?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Herald lances and flambeaus?

Dust to dust is thaumaturgy 1, only needs D1 to cast. Solar rays is evocation 2, and needs S2. There's also banish spam, even level 2 priests wreck chaff.

Watching Maerland taught me that Ashen Empire's troops are mostly mindless, so you can try to use spells that ignore mindless units (mind burn) to decapitate their armies.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If you can gear Skratti for crowd-clearing, they'll be able to chew up the masses of freespawn undead pretty easily if you send them in teams. Even the good ones only have a couple HP apiece. It's summoned units with auras or special attacks that you need to watch out for.

Hopefully you have access to F/E, the Flame Brand & Charcoal Shield tend to do well against undead. Otherwise, Vine Shield & a multi-attack weapon.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Is Lum dead? He hasn't posted or done his turns in TestCradle. . .

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1590&st=0

This dom4 map looks really nice.

EDIT:
Does anyone have tips for fighting Ashen Empire Ermor as MA Jotunheim with Alteration and Construction researched to level 6?

First off, get all of Ermor's neighbors to ally up and murder him. LA Ermor begs to be dogpiled because they are insane and annoying to fight.

Assuming no one is helping you out and you just have your national path access, your Skratti thugs can effectively block a lot of the chaff with vine shields and a little regen. If you could trade for fire brands that'd be pretty great for them.

Assuming you have a large pile of Vaetti Hags researching stuff, I'd get Thaum 1->Evo 2->Conj 4 ASAP so that they can do things.

Thaum 1 lets your D randoms use dust to dust.
Thaum 1+Evo 2+Conj 3 lets you setup a reverse communion for solar rays spam with your S randoms. Get everyone setup in the communion and have the master who is last in the order throw down power of the spheres to bring everyone to S2 for solar rays. If you can get a slave matrix for the communion leader, it will save you a very valuable turn and allow for more solar rays. Alternatively, if you have the ability to get a lot of matrices, a pile of H2 communion masters backed by 8-16 slaves will melt the ever living gently caress out of Ermor's trash with banish. For added murder ability, you can give them eyes of the void if needed. H6 + 2 spell pen makes a lot of very powerful beamy death rays that will likely get through even if Ermor is throwing down antimagic.

Conj 4 will let your N randoms cast maggots which does seem to work ok though it does cost N gems.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

First off, get all of Ermor's neighbors to ally up and murder him. LA Ermor begs to be dogpiled because they are insane and annoying to fight.

Ashen empire (the one that used to be LA ermor) is now MA.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

President Ark posted:

Ashen empire (the one that used to be LA ermor) is now MA.

gently caress Ermor forever. Did they just flip them around or is LA somehow even worse than Ashen Empire?

And I just remembered reverse communions are gone now. Yeah basically you need those slave crystal matrices badly or a great ally to provide you with fire stuff.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

gently caress Ermor forever. Did they just flip them around or is LA somehow even worse than Ashen Empire?

I think they're both in MA and what was once MA Ermor is now a nation with a different name?

• Locked thread