Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
Debug mod (gives 1 gem wish, most spells at 0 research and all 9 caster) works for dom 4 as well in case anyone was wondering. Mods are stored in your user directory now and there's a handy button under game tools in the menu to take you there.

edit: also looks like the chalice doesn't work on tarts anymore.

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Korwin posted:

Submitted mine.

And mine.

amuayse posted:

Do you guys think that Luck +1 is worth getting? Compared to Dominions 3, there are 1500 events compared to 500. Even if I set events to rare and not put any points into turmoil and luck, I get events about 2/3rds of the time.

You seem to get a lot of revolts and indie attacks with low pd now. If luck helps with that, it'd be pretty useful.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
I think so, some events even specifically mention the low pd.
Also, in an 11 pd province I got an event informing me that they'd caught a guy scouting for an attack and the barbs actually turned up next turn.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is there still a cap on the # of events per turn?

Maybe, but it's more than three now.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

amuayse posted:

I learned much of what I know from this Let's Play.
http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/Update%2001/

Ye, read some LPs and you're good to go.
The original one as far as I know, newbie Rlyeh by Matrix.
Some useful mechanics posts at the bottom, also Builds as Hinnom explains a lot (though he's very verbose).
Wiki, still very handy.
And you can always ask things in here!

We've started two test games, so people will probably comment some on differences between dom 3 and 4.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

immolationsex posted:

I've never understood why they haven't fixed communions by simply explaining them. Have an in-battle console that explains, blow by blow, who cast what, what boosts that gave them/others in the communion, who got how much fatigue and why, etc.

Hell, I'd like to see a similar console for melee and archery as well: Who took a swing at whom, why didn't it connect, what were the odds of scoring a hit and so on.

Press 3 when you're watching a battle and you'll have so much information you don't want.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
So I tested archers against the blood9 bless.
I had about a hundred jags guarding a commander and a couple of hundred archers with flaming arrows shooting them.
All casualties are from blood vengeance.
This is with mr9 bakemono.

And mr 10 bandits.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Korwin posted:

Wonder how much the numbers Change with an N9B9 bless...

Had a dude cast mass regen on the jags; 550 bandits against 145 jags, 160 died.
With antimagic for the archers; 480 against 145, 72 died.
Also I did this:

All damage the Hannyas do is fire and they have 33 fire resistance and 17 mr.
That's 11755 gold in dead jaguars and 13600 in dead mages, without the jags even doing anything.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

alansmithee posted:

I actually thought LA Agartha previously was pretty solid (although this may have been under CBM, can't remember). The other ages were definitely lackluster. Also LA Ulm could really be a superpower if you can get their blood developed and turn into a vampire nation. I could see them being better now with ranged weapons piercing shields (rangers are a solid unit).

I've been really trying to get the Carrion Woods version of MA Pan to work, but am at a loss. Their mages suck outside of the Pans, and you need a bunch of magic on pretender and scales for freespawn. Any advice?

I'm playing them in testrandom; took a sleeping titan of war and wisdom with a4 e4 s5 5dom t3 g3 l3 m3.
Went turmoil cause your pop dies anyways and then growth and magic to get more and better manikin.
It's turn 32 now and my cap still has 14k pop, so I suppose order is not totally out of the question.
You don't need a high dominion as your temples are only 100 gold and you need them to get more undead.
Don't take a lot if any sloth, you'll need to hire plenty of troops early on and they continue being decent later on.
Seven or so of the female centaurs with a harpy can take most indies, don't use the berserking ones.
Alteration and enchantment will be your most useful research paths I think.
Get a good mother oak up, you want those nature gems to get carrion lords.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Lilli posted:

Errr, did it have anything else on it in terms of boosting items or special abilities (lots of reinvig?). At just base S10 and 10 pearls you couldn't get master enslave down to 115 fatigue so I'm curious to hear about your setup.

Magic 3 scale probably.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Smerdyakov posted:

I checked the Dom4 manual and maybe I missed it, but what's the rough formula for unit xp?

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/User:Lch/Sunray%27s_FAQ#What_are_the_levels_of_experience_.28grey_star_shields.29_for_units_.3F

Dom3 wiki is still useful for many things.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
Search every province with a n1 mage and save your money.
There's often n1 magic sites that give a free fort, other than that put them on high income provinces and near the coast.
Just don't put them next to Vanarus, he'll mess you up.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Asehujiko posted:

Inverted old age penalties that make them stronger to go with their "never die of old age" theme?

I like this. Maybe take the lazy way out and have them all start with 3 xp stars, 4 on the mages.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah. This is the big problem with Illwinter.

Balancing stuff is 'boring'. Adding a couple of points of att/def, and maybe a national battlefield H3 that increases sacreds' Precision by 3 points, too dull. Getting them to a level playing field with other nations? Shameful homogenisation!

So instead we'll get a whole new set of mechanics going on, and a bunch of new lore, which I'm sure is fun to work on, but ehhh. Cave summons and the like are not the fix - how many maps actually have caves? Not many. Valanis is very pretty, but not very well-balanced, as we're seeing in the LP. Other than Dawn of Dominions (Not A Real Map), I am scratching my head for other built-in maps with caves.

I like their approach, just upping stats is boring.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
We just finished our first vanilla dom4 game, yay!
I always enjoy reading summaries of games, so let's do that for this one too.
I played the new Pangaea offshoot, Asphodel.
Their dominion kills your population and gives you manikin:

They come in a couple of flavours but they're all pretty excellent, against living troops.
Temples, forests, growth and magic increase reanimation rate.

Panic apostates are sweet because they're not cap-only and nature has great buffs for your troops, which are more important than in dom3.
Still not much battlemagic, so they all defaulted to skelly spamming after buffing.
They can also get 1 earth or water, so magic diversity isn't very high.
I also recruited some black dryads to ferry around manikin and many, many harpies. You can get them in forests now and they're awesome scouts, gemcarriers and leaders of raiding parties.

They're the only troops I recruited, around 8 can take pretty much all indies or pd under 20.

Here's my god, Asphodel expands fine and can't really use a bless, so she brings a bunch of diversity and utility. Dominion strenght isn't important because temples increase it and I only have to pay 100 gold for one.

World map, tried to colourmatch to game colours; I'm the forest green, bottom centre.
Early expansion went well, grabbing 25 indies.
By that time Ulm was attacking Pan (light green, east of me) and Vana (light blue, north of me) was fighting Pyth (light purple), Sceleria (dark purple) and sometimes Mari (orange). Ermor (black) was at war with Caelum (gray) and Mari. I tried to save Pan, got as far as sieging Ulm's cap but he threw me off. Was counting on shadow blast and flanking his pikemen, but his line formation messed up both those plans. My manikin took too long getting through his blockers and his iron darts casters (two times the damage against magical beings) massacred them. Pan was done for by then, so Ulm and I made peace with a twenty turn NAP and me ceding a province. I got a hundred nature gems from Pan though, so not a complete loss. They were spend on mother oak, gift of health and carrion lords. I also cast a whole lot of transformation throughout the game, to compensate for my turmoil scales. Maybe two out of almost forty died and goh took care of the couple that got feebleminded.

You get holy spells giving AP and regen to your undead (though they can resist the buff), so they're very useful.

At this time Vana was pushing back Pyth and Scele with Ctis (the green up north) attacking Scele once or twice, Aby (red) and Rlyeh were bickering a bit and Mari and Caelum were holding off Ermor. Ulm went to fight Ermor, who had put up burden of time by now. and I attacked Vana, mostly raiding with centaurs untill I had arrow fend researched.
Now for a goon game staple: Caelum had been driving back Ermor, using his god to cast earthquakes and his allies were actually helping out. Things were looking up! And as soon as they did, everything falls apart. Rlyeh takes a large payment from Ermor to magic duel Caelum's god and kills it. And Ulm and Mari start fighting eachother.
The Vana war went much better for me, Scele took the brunt of the fighting and I of the provinces, finally finding astral mages. Rlyeh tries and fails a couple of times to take Pyth's cap, which falls to me eventually. Aby tried to invade Scele, but has suffered greatly from bot and is crushed. At this point Aby, Mari and Ulm go AI, leaving lots of land to be gobbled up by Ermor and I. Caelum's killed by Ermor and sends me another two hundred gems, for the aid I tried to give against Ermor and a promise to avenge him. Ermor, Scele and I are the main contenders now, with Rlyeh and Ctis also still playing.
Ermor and Scele attack me and dispell my mother oak, but leave goh up. I'd been hiding my centaurs in Scele for a while now and focus my main efforts there, while fighting a defensive war in the west against Ermor (the east still has a bunch of AI Ulm provinces). I stupidly lose my god against Ermor, casting earthquake instead of rain of stones, but she comes back quickly. My troops aren't very usefull against theirs since sleep vines don't work on undead, but I can commit more mages and I've been pushing my dominion hard, so I always fight in my dom with goh. My centaurs raid Scele with great succes, he can't really counterraid cause my lands are covered in undead with a priest in the pd. Rlyeh invades Ctis, who responds by putting up wrath of god, raining down ligthning in his dominion and also in my turmoil dom. In the end my armies just slowly follow my dom creeping into their lands.

Dom info at turn 68.
So many words!
Also iod I would like to see the dom and army graphs if possible!

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

tooterfish posted:

Quick question, why transformation?

Was Burden affecting your pans, I thought they had pretty long lifespans?

They transform into animals, which don't cost any upkeep.
I've had almost forty pans transformed for two years, saving about 15000 gold.
I lost a giant ant pan to bot after transformation. On the other I hand I got a great eagle, who could shapechange into a niefel jarl chassis!

jsoh posted:

Having a commander named to remind you of your treaties is a pretty good idea.

Also for trades, searching and some of the new events. They should really add a little notebook ingame.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

folytopo posted:

I know the ashpodel dominion kills population but only slowly. How did it feel in a long game? Seems like you still wan gold for pan's and centaurs.

I had 1540 pop left in my cap by turn 68. It's a great excuse to take turmoil, got two artifacts from events too. It doesn't have a big impact at the beginning of the game, when you need the gold the most. You don't have to buy many troops, I only bought 300 or so centaurs over the whole game, so you can spend more on mages. Most important thing ofcourse is wether you get enough gold to keep up with research. You'd have to ask iod for those graphs.

folytopo posted:

They are invulnerable, etheral,blood vengeance, innate spell casters that have an instant kill attack in addition to the rest of their awesome stuff. They are immune to normal troops. High but not insurmountable MR means that it can still be killed. A lot of it's defense is neutralized by magic weapons. So it is scary and annoying and hard to pin down on a strategic map level and you need something specially tailored to kill it.

They're true ethereal, so magic weapons and non-astral spells have a 75% chance of doing nothing. They also have damage reversal +1 instead of blood vengeance, so if you don't pass the mr roll they're not hurt. You're going to need a lot off astral mages to kill one! Also that's their second shape. They have a tartarian first shape. Also there are three of them.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Is something weird or not obvious going on with dominions 4 random paths for mages?

As MA C'tis, I can recruit marshmasters that have W1D2N2+1WSDN+0.1WSDN.
By my calculations, I should have a 1/160 = 0.625% chance of getting a D4 or N4 per each marshmaster recruited (1/4 chance of D or N, 1/40 chance of getting the corresponding D or N on the second roll).

I have recruited 16 marshmasters, and gotten D4 on 2 of them, and N4 on one of them. You would expect to see that many good randoms after recruiting ~120 marshmasters, not in 16 of them. It just seems really improbable - is something else going on?

That's like a 3.5% chance, if I'm not horribly mistaken. So not too unlikely.
[16!/(3!13!)]*0.00625, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: or more like 0.013%
[16!/(3!13!)]*0.00625^3*0.99375^13
I'm going with this.

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2013

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Mr Teatime posted:

When signing up for the new dom 4 game service, what the heck is this desura profile malarky it wants off me?

Edit: As an aside can someone remind me of the way to make desktop links that take you straight to specific multiplayer games?

In the target field of the shortcut tab of properties: "C:\Program Files (x86)\dominions4\Dominions4.exe" -C --ipadr proactiveapathy.com --port 9633 --nocredits

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Microcline posted:

Is it possible for independents to attack you capital if the unrest gets too high? If so, what happens if both of the last human-held capitals get taken by indies in the same turn? Does everyone just get a lose message?

It's always possible for indies to attack your cap after turn 3. They never storm forts however, so they can't wipe you out.

edit: Also, Lilli, are you guys playing a game against scrubs from another forum? Who's playing if so?

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 13, 2013

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Lilli posted:

Nah, not against scrubs, but yeah we're doing an SA vs Desura/Dom4mods game.

code:
Desura Team    SA Team
Maerlande      Lilli
Shovah         Thedemon
Lourdes   vs   Buildscharacter
Executor       Flavahbeast
AWildPanda     Schneeble
Ohlmann        Irony.or.Death
Here are the final teams drafted.

Team Desura: Utgard, Bogarus, Patala, T'ien Ch'i, Ulm, Agartha
Team Awful: Mictlan, Midgard, C'tis, Atlantis, Gath, Man

Make us proud! :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Neruz posted:

I copied human stats and tweaked them slightly to try and represent 3'6" beings that are half-stone elemental. That said I fully expected all my initial numbers to be way off, I think I actually landed a lot closer to the mark than I expected to land.

The other big mistake I made I see in hindsight is I vastly undervalued stat increases in all cases; an increment of 1 HP (and other stats) is a lot more significant than I assumed.

Echoing everything azram said, you could fight every other nation in ma at the same time and still come out on top.
Even your crossbowman is batshit op; it fires 2 arrows a turn every turn with 16 prot and 11 prec, for 13g 13r.
That's a 300% increase in firepower for a 30% higher cost, without the other advantages.
Summons are op too, you've got this thing at 12 gems.

That's invulnerable 100, fear 20 and an aoe2 60 armour negating attack btw. To be fair it's at const9 with an e8 s4 caster.
Don't know if it's intentional, but with an e9 caster you get, no joke, 97 size 4 earth elementals for 5 gems, at alt 2. To compare, Agartha just got their own version of this spell for their very own at 2 gems per elemental.
Also astral travel is an army teleport spell at thau 9 s5 for 25 gems, you have it at alt 5 e3 for 5 gems with increased range.
Your cap also gives 7 gems and so many bonuses, to the normal 5.
And your geode spell doesn't work, the summon dissapears before it can give gems. The description makes me think you'll get 31+ gems per casting for 2e, which would break things badly.
It's a very nice mod aside from the balance issues though, so keep at it!

Also we should really do a dwarves versus all the others ma game, it would be funny.

• Locked thread