Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Unless you are likely to get their capitol, in which case you should negotiate to block everyone else while you get the sole route to their cap and everyone else fights their armies in the middle of nowhere, therefore loving over everybody because you probably overestimate yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
llamaserver is automated PBEM, which works just fine. snek.earth will do the same for a server game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

He was an immortal so those might heal? Also I am against an Ermor here and everything I take from them is horrifically depopulated. How do I fix that? I have growth scales 3 as MA TC.

You can't do anything about provinces that are depopulated. As anyone. Don't play against Ermor.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I don't see a reason to Hold the masters one round. All the slaves will be slaved before you start casting bigger spells anyway.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Other anti-Ulm strategies may include an E2 mage with Epower-> Destruction vs the smaller armies, or the aforementioned Gifts from Heaven communion. Earthquake is not really recommended as it doesn't do enough damage to bypass armor.

It sounds like you have having problems with the macromanagement aspect though. Gold -> Forts -> Mages is the forumula that lets you dominate AI and most players too. Chances are if you're falling behind on production you aren't aggressive enough to get gold and you aren't spendy enough on more forts. Troops that are lower quality (like TC's and most human nations) are basically only good for fodder so the proportion you spend on them cannot be as high as if you're playing a nation that can lean hard on the troops.

If any strategy fails just default to spamming Thunder Strike. Viability may vary on nation but if you have A2 or air/astral you can do it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

My preferred way of dealing with a water nation is to have 2x their gem income then cast Sea of Ice.

e: I see you actually want to keep your water provinces though, have you thought this through?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

If someone spent 999 gems on a global, y'all are probably completely hosed, because it means they were able to earn 999 gems.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

So is there a formula for this? Like, if I have two forts with one prov between them, is that one prov's resources split 50/50 between the two, or does the "admin" value factor in?

I sort of feel, without doing any math, like not 100% of a prov's resources go to the neighboring fort, because you can still do a little non-fort indie recruitment in a prov that's adjacent to a fort. So there must be some left over kinda?

But like you always want more places to build troops and always want more gold and resources too. So is the strategy to always build more forts as many as you can possibly afford, to the exclusion of spending money on other poo poo like armies? Because clearly not, so there has to be some kind of balance, and I'm asking what sort of approach you guys take to finding that balance, do you just go by gutfeels or do you have a complicated spreadsheet that helps you calculate ideal number of forts per turn per prov for each specific nation etc.?

1. Each province's true resource total is 2x their non-forted resource total.
2. Forts allow access to their own province's true resource total and block it from being drawn to another fort.
3. Forts draw their admin value as a percentage from adjacent provinces' true resource total.
4. Overlapping forts draw their admin value up to 100% of the true resource total, at which point each fort reduces in proportional terms. As in two 60 admin forts will each get 50%. One 50 and one 60 will be 45% and 55%.

As for strategy, it depends on the nation, your gold income, locations, chokepoints, game-specific strategy, current army upkeep, etc.

Generally speaking, forts pay for themselves in gold over a very long term (admin adds to gold income). They also allow mage recruitment, which most nations want as much of as possible. A very general rule of thumb would be as long as you can afford to start a fort after accounting for necessities, you should start a fort. In addition, your first and second forts are important to get going quickly as they sometimes remove capitol vulnerability, or allow midgame-centric nations into a faster midgame. Sometimes you'll skip recruitment, or recruit lesser mages, just for forts. Other times you'll only build them with excess money after recruitment is spent. If you're being rushed or feel early game war is imminent, you might spend it all on an army instead of a fort, or you might panic build a fort to get it up before the war starts and end the possibility of a rush. It all depends.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 20, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you for this very helpful and precise post! It might be a good little snippet to quote in the OP since it is directly relevant to getting going in your first couple of years of play.

Could you also explain exactly how admin adds to gold income? I'm not sure yet if building those admin+ add-on things for a fort are worth it or not.

I believe although I'm not 100% sure that admin adds the admin value as a flat # to gold income.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Stone rain:

Head protection like helmets is meaningless. Stone rain has no preference for head hits. Bad advice. Boots of Stone is more expensive, but will help crucial casters. 5 gem armors can technically work but if you're spending 50 gems to kit an entire force you should invest those into a buff caster instead.

It depends on the nation but the best defense are any mass defensive spells like Mass Protection, Fog Warriors, Army of Gold, Army of Lead, Stygian Rains, or even Will of the Fates if you prefer.

Don't walk into Stone Rain casters if you can help it. Like, Stone Rain is particularly nasty, but 1 round -> retreat is a valid strategy for attrition using Thunder Strike even, or any number of single cast battlefield spells, the worst of which is probably Master Enslave.

I also recommend remote assassination attacks on the provinces containing the Stone Rain casters. And at this point walking around with armies may be less effective than taking provinces with smaller forces or thugs and using armies only against similar strengths.

If someone can chump you with Stone Rain, they can do the same with more expensive strategies like Flames from the Sky or assassins. Basically, Stone Rain and similar exists to transition out of the army-with-mage-support midgame and if you don't have a plan for that you might find yourself at a loss for how to play the endgame.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

It's a bit expensive to try to bait a RoS caster into gem use. Like, you can do it with remote army attack spells, but by the same token they can do it to you to stop your defensive buff casters and that would be more effective. If you have 20 to 40 gems to spam remote attack spells to gemuse threshold, then just assassinate them instead. Assassination will either kill them or guarantee gem use because they'll be unscripted yet still able to use gems.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Yeah thrones in Dom4 make it so throne grabs before endgame are a thing and if you lose them you don't need to play the endgame because you're dead. In Dom3 you kind of had to engage the endgame, which pretty much meant Tartarians unless you were playing a modded game, but in Dom4 you have the choice of doubling down on a stronger midgame push.

In seriousness though there is no one endgame, endgame is throwing everything at the opponent in the right ways.

Nexus brings gem-income and using those gems is one way to fuel your wars, blood sacrifice can in some ways be uncounterable, vamps and the magic and dompush to support them is a kind of strategy, wish is kind of an endgame strategy but more of a precision tool to gently caress over specific other strategies, and each item that you can use on the battlefield (Fog Warriors, Master Enslave, Rain of Stones continued from midgame, many others) is another tool. Gift of Nature's Bounty is usable. Assassination globals are defensive tools. You definitely can use remote assassination spells like Earth Attack or disease demons. Elemental and Demonic Royalty are a thing. National summons especially mage-thug or mage-SC chassis.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The best part is we can make a new thread so that the OP is no longer inactive.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

where's the new thread so I can finally close this one?

e: Also need a new pgs thread with updated links

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Goodnight sweet thread. Here is the new one:

violent sex idiot posted:

i made a thread, its very bad. please make a better one so it doesnt get used thank you https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842007

• Locked thread