Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Decrepus posted:

What do they come back as? The way it is worded I assumed they had a chance to become a temple-check.

They come back as random monkey units or a temple check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm sorely tempted to go through and make a mod that gives leather caps to all the armor but no hat units. Something about hatless units just annoys the hell out of me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dai Oni are a terrible thug chassis because their rout themselves with the autosummoned dogs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pikes are great because you'll get 3 repel rolls against anything shorter than a spear. Every repel that lands forces the attacker to roll morale vs 10+(half what the repel beat hitting him by) and rolling several of those is bound to fail pretty often.

A square of hypothetical 10 across the board pikemen repels a hypothetical 10 across the board dude with a length 3 or less weapon about 61% of the time. Attacker morale and defense can modify this quite a bit, as can defender attack.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 23, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jBrereton posted:

On the other hand, there are no 10 across the board pikemen. Ulmish pikemen are either 6 (non-blacksteel) or 5 (blacksteel) defence, and even TC's relatively limber leather-armoured pikemen are defence 8 (actually the best in the game, for pikemen, shared with LA Ulmish/Marignonian Pikeneers), and those repel modifiers are reduced for those repelling subsequent times per turn.

Yeah, but repelling 60% of the ~60% of attacks that actually hit tends to be at least as effective as tanking your encumbrance for a shield. In the case of that glaive dude you're taking far more attacks than the pikemen, since you don't get any chance at all to repel the every popular spears and only 2 against broadswords.

Now I kinda want to make a nation with sacred pikemen to watch f9 be a defensive bless :v

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone suggest to me some good Thugs that might be possible with MA Ulm? Someone had suggested Bane Lord summons if my pretender had some death magic, but she doesn't so I'm looking for a good alternative. It's great being able to produce magic items so cheap, but it's nothing if I don't have anyone who can use it well.

My pretender has a fairly large amount magic in all paths except Death and Blood (In which I have none).

Summonable thugs were pretty rare and not very cost effective in vanilla Dom3 and that hasn't changed much for Dom4. Maybe a Sleeper if you're that desperate but he's more of a super troop ferry than a thug.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 27, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They rule but they're also Conj 8 and need a lot of gear to really function.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gift of reason adds a huge up front cost and almost universally gets you something that needs half a dozen items to survive on its own.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The enlarge item only works on size 4 or less and I wouldn't be surprised if the spell was the same way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

Just for curiosity's sake: A quickened crone with flaming arrows and three bows of war.

Start a disciple game and give your pretender an f9d9a4-8 bless for maximum murder

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And the moment you try to rely on it some poo poo for brains decides the fight is too small for him to burn a gem casting the vital buff you ordered him to cast and everything goes to hell fast.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The map generator hates placing caves and quite a lot of existing maps are dolled up randoms. They're supposed to be about 3% of provinces but you'll run into plenty of 200 province maps that don't roll them at all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

Some things don't seem to have a really obvious solution like changing stats, like for Caelum's infantry being worthless due to flying fatigue or the fact Bowl of Blood has pretty much no use. But I agree that that should be the exception, not the rule. Bringing down blood vengenace to a penetration 10 check (it seems like it's penetration 12 as of the moment) would solve the problem of it being OP yet still make it viable unlike what B9 was in Dom3.

All MR rolls that aren't specifically easy or hard are vs 12. Easy are against 8, hard against 16.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, how's Abyssia in Dom 4? They were always my favorites in Dominions 3, but they were so--eh, unit wise.

Did the shift to mage/troops over SC/thugs help them at all? Is fire still a "bad" casting tree?

poo poo troops, poo poo mages that aren't the MA/LA Warlock, poo poo nation. Enjoy your 8 and 9 encumbrance infantry and no meaningful troops for any other roles. LA has some cool assassins but the good ones compete with Warlocks for recruitment slots. Everything is a little overpriced because Abysians are "better" than humans.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gift of health takes its sweet time healing them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mod the seal breaking spell to 0 research, 1 gem and castable by earth readers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LordLeckie posted:

Im not sure what drives the gods, i summoned them in an SP game and 2 of them just sat on the throne of splendour for ages not moving at all, then one of them disappeered somewhere else and the other sat on the throne eating whatever i threw at it so i have no idea how really active they are. I put up the eyes of god and even then i could see much activity.

Do they have a bunch of insanity/shattered soul? If so they're probably just wasting a bunch of turns doing little to nothing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LordLeckie posted:

I just noticed in TestPantheon that Abysia has gone AI, turns take absolutely forever to happen and ive run out of things to actually do, all thats left is script a doomstack of mages for Ulms demon/undead stack eventual assault on my cap. I feel like we should just call this one and declare team Ctis/Utgard/Bogarus as the victors.

Oh, I haven't played the last 3 turns and probably didn't get around to scripting monthly casts at the lab I built in front of your capital. Game's dead, put it out of its misery already.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olm Sage looks to mostly be a clayman generator, which isn't a bad thing because claymen are cheap and better than pretty much anything Agartha can field short of very big blesses on seal guards.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd argue that N9 is the only thing keeping attrition low enough to make Niefel Giants worth recruiting. Otherwise they pick up too many afflictions and become useless pretty fast. E9's protection buff is a pretty big help, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheresNoThyme posted:

I played Niefel a few weeks ago on this thread's recommendation (asking for nations that build thugs and early aggression). Skratti + skinshifters were obscene after an early investment in blood hunting and a site searching pretender. Probably the strongest year 1 army I've yet to put together in this game, and when you're murdering everything + sitting on EA gem income giants didn't even seem to matter unless I felt like upgrading my arrow catchers.

Skratti are even better with shrouds, especially now that you can't spam them as hard as you used to. With E9N9 you get 20 prot, 12/turn regeneration and no fatigue in werewolf form. You're just that much better at not dying and you can also cheap out and use Jotun Jarls with frost brands if you have to. It's just harder to justify running scales Niefel with the new lower return on investment.

Skinshifters die really easily compared to e9n9 Niefels and you can't even spam them anymore since they're 5/turn now.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 26, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Smerdyakov posted:

Also, all the ritual spells that negatively affect provinces aren't very good against the AI, because they seem to have infinite money/resources on higher difficulty levels.

That's because they do. "Difficulty" is just a gold/resources multiplier.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's plenty of newbie games and also crazy disciple gimmicks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ZeroCount posted:

I just got this game as a gift and have little to no Doms experience apart from looking at some LP's. What's the most newbie friendly race/pretender dealy?

The one that sounds the coolest. No matter what you pick you're gonna be drinking from the firehose the whole time so you might as well pick someone cool. Losing in an entertaining way will keep you in it more than winning in a dull one and you're probably not going to win anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Midgard's first research priority: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Transformation spell turns the caster into a random animal, selected from the entire list of animals. This includes every Pangaea or Bandar Log unit, all sorts of wildlife and, of course, our good friend the Great Eagle that turns into a Niefel Jarl. The main use is mitigating the crippling upkeep of his Pans by turning them into wild animals with no gold cost instead of the 300something gold they cost normally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Microcline posted:

Can one of the veterans enlighten me as to the finer points of (magic resistance negates)? What kind of a check is being performed? I've been guessing it as 10 + Extra path levels + penetration + DRN vs. MR + DRN, but that's just something I pulled out of my rear end.

Also, with the (admittedly out of date) wiki gone, is there any other source for spell lists or documents like Lilli's SC guide?

12 + (extra paths/2) + penetration + drn vs MR + (target's paths in the school/2) + DRN (add 4 if "mr negates easily")

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not to mention hundreds of cheap crossbow dudes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have to ask: why Gath?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why did you use your whole army with the earthquakes? I can't really say I'd call that winning. Good job throwing away 15 mages, including a hero and 2 frighteningly expensive cap only STR ones to kill half a chaff blob and 5 mages, mostly cheap researchers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 18, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And? Send the god out to earthquake and run back inside.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

Quick, research Thaum 8

Do you really want to get stuck with the upkeep on 500 starving elephants?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neruz posted:

C'tis says hi.
Actually they say 'Skeletons'

No, they say "tomb chariots, millions of them"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's piss poor and you won't get graphs worth reading unless your spies are also mages.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's weird because the purest Abysians: the Anointed of of Rhuax live for something like 200 years but all others that aren't Demonbred get old around 35.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Heh, I just had my sacred heavy Bandar Log army decapitated by mind burn (my prophetised noble was only MR 8). I thought massed makartas might be a suitable decoy for it (MR 7), but their HP mustn't be high enough as they were totally ignored.

What are my options early game (no spells or construction)? Elephants would probably do the trick, but they're pretty expensive just to lug around for that. I don't think atavis/bandars will work, since they have the same MR but lower HP.

Later on it's not going to be a problem because I'll have summoned commanders out the wazonga, but it's a pretty crucial weakness early on.

Spells will generally target the highest hp units unless they're resisted so hard that they just aren't going to do anything. Elephants would probably work except that they'll break and trample your own dudes unless you're drat careful about positioning them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They can be tougher without having twice the hp, better attack/def/str/morale than most elite units on their militia, overpowered as gently caress custom weapons, grossly overkill armor as well as reinvigoration and naturally low or no encumbrance to ignore the drawbacks of it. A size 1 unit that's actually competent in combat needs to be carefully considered since this is a niche that doesn't exist in the base game. You're probably better off just rolling with the dnd standby of a foot shorter by a foot wider equals the same size as everyone else instead of clown-carring every square. Maybe copy Ulm's stats give or take a point here and there instead of whatever giants you copied.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It wasn't a term. It was just pointing out that Midgard doesn't really need a pretender, thus one they do have ends up just being a random plaything rather than an integral part of their strategy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unless it's changed the raptor assassin priests autocast divine blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every 5 points of fear increases the morale loss by 1 and dificulty of the morale check, in addition to the normal aoe increase. My fear 22 dracolich in MadPantheon thus hits 28 squares, lowering their morale by 4 and forcing a morale check vs 14 to keep fighting.

• Locked thread