Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CBM was a big portion of why I quit playing the game before. It went from something that attempted minor balance tweaks to something that seriously transformed the game and simply reinforced the playstyles favored by the dudes who wrote it and a few of the people they commonly played with. The dudes at Illwinter may not be the best at balancing stuff, but I still think they did a better job than some of the later versions of CBM I saw.

I'm tempted to, after it comes out, release CBBM (Conceptual Balance Balance Mod), which would simply be deleting all of their changes.

That being said, this summer is proving to be a major strain on my free time. First Civ 5 has a new expansion, Shadowrun Returns, then EUIV (which I've still not dove back into), then I find out a new Dominions is coming out, not sure if I'll be able handle all these games! Although I'd like to get in a early MP game after the official release, I'll try the beta some and see how long it takes to get re-acclimated to playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

TheDemon posted:

The huge thing to note is that everyone's mages are now slow to recruit and cap only. Getting a fantastic communion mage like the lower tier Druid in compensation is infinitely more compensation than most other nations got. So it's very difficult to judge a nation by comparing it to their Dom3 peers, because in Dom4 things are very different.

I've actually warmed considerably to Slow To Recruit because I like what it does to my gold income: you can now afford cap mages much more easily while having bursty gold income to stick down poo poo tons of forts every other turn.

Well, from my understanding you could've done the same in Dom3, by not recruiting a mage every turn in your cap.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I actually thought LA Agartha previously was pretty solid (although this may have been under CBM, can't remember). The other ages were definitely lackluster. Also LA Ulm could really be a superpower if you can get their blood developed and turn into a vampire nation. I could see them being better now with ranged weapons piercing shields (rangers are a solid unit).

I've been really trying to get the Carrion Woods version of MA Pan to work, but am at a loss. Their mages suck outside of the Pans, and you need a bunch of magic on pretender and scales for freespawn. Any advice?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The more I've played (single player, however) the less I'm liking a lot of these changes. No tax adjustment just seems to hammer blood nations-you get less money than previously (due to higher unrest), and you're also slowed by having fewer slaves so conversion to full blood econ takes longer.

Also, I don't know if I'm a fan of the slower research. I think I understand the purpose of making national troops more relevant longer, but I think one of the weaker parts of the game is shuffling largely generic dudes around the map. I think if they wanted more of a focus on troops, more national spells (non-summons) with a focus on buffing would've been better. Of course, there's so many good buffs already so it could easily end up redundant...

Along with that, slow to recruit seems largely arbitrary in it's application. And I'm not a fan of locking you entirely out of the recruitment slot-I'm unsure if it would be possible but if it only locked you out of recruiting other mages I think that would be a good change, and would allow for more national commanders to be used (which outside of some rare niche choices I don't think get bought whenever it's otherwise possible to recruit a mage).

And I really, really wish they would've put in some other diplomacy options. The team options are cool, but just not enough.

All that being said, I'm still trying to absorb all the new changes. There seems to be a bunch of new spells along with old spells changed, The new nations all seem pretty interesting. And as I've been messing around more, there's a lot of stuff with old nations that I'm finding has changed (poor MA C'tis losing leadership from all their troops :( ).

When the game's released, if possible I'd like to hop into a newbie-ish style game. Also, do people still do blitzes at all? I remember getting in some previously, would be nice to organize a 6-player (or more...) blitz game sometime.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I haven't played this in a long while, and was maybe thinking of getting back in. I see it's on steam now and according to the OP your Desura key works there, do you get patches the same when you have the game on Steam? Also, how much has changed since launch for this, and are there a suite of mods that are considered common usage now (like CBM for Dom 3). I remember there was talk of a new CBM, but not sure if that ever went anywhere.

• Locked thread