Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Started a new game on cradle and took one province and this greeted me.
Anyone else seen this? It doesn't appear to be a throne province.

rzal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

TheDemon posted:

People have been bugging me for literal years about this, so yesterday I finally said gently caress it and drew up a draft of EA Muspelheim for Dom4.

It needs sprites desperately but the troop stats are done and all. I'm working on the descriptions right now. I guess I'm looking for a sprite artist volunteer before I try recoloring Niefel sprites red or something.

If you want to just tell me what sprites you want to recolor or alter, and how, I would work on it in my free time. My custom stuff hasn't always been popular with the community, but I could do simple recolors and alters without upsetting anyone I think.

Some stuff I did if you don't remember.

You can just email me at dominions4stuff at google mail if you are interested.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to type into the command line in Ubuntu Linux in order to start a Dom4 server? Once I understand how to do this I will host games.

Are the links in the first post not working for you?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

jng2058 posted:

The Three Moves Ahead Podcast talked with some Ilwinter guys about Dominions 4. It's worth a listen.

http://threemovesahead.libsyn.com/episode-234-seeking-new-god

Listened to this, this morning. I was hoping they'd say a bunch of nations names so I could know how to pronounce them. Then they didn't know how to pronounce Berytos.

Also, it sounds like they want to move the game towards a Total war style, real time battle, non province map strategy game. While I would buy a fantasy Total war style game set in the dominions universe, I love the board game-esque maps and hands off battles of the current games, so I hope they don't do this.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Photosynaesthesias posted:

How do you pick a nation? I picked this up last night and it seems pretty cool and the learning curve isn't quite as steep as I expected, but every time I start a game it seems to assign me a random nation. Is that because I'm playing on a random map or something?

When you create a new game, there should be a screen where you setup the type and number of nations. Click the word random on that screen to get the full list of nations. Its the "choose participants" screen. You can also set the level of AI and add more nations on this screen.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I am super pumped for this manual. I had the old wire bound one and it was the only video game manual I looked at more then once. But, I am still surprised it delayed the release date.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

How do you play EA and MA Arco? Specifically, what magic to research?

I know EA best. MA has better troops and face fewer giants, so it might be somewhat different.
Lots of ways to go early on(i.e. level 3 and under).

Conjuration so you have tangle vines, earth/fire power and summon ogres/vinemen for an emergency.
Construction has owl quills and legions of steel, with lvl 4 stuff within reach if needed.
Enchantment has claymen/str of giants, with Flaming arrows at level 4.
Alt has mistform and other small buffs, but with StR Oreiads, this is less useful.
Evo of course has many good spells you can use but less likely to make a huge difference under level 3 since the good spells are largely single target.
Thaum has mind burn/communions early and site search spells, but again less useful early and you can get mystics/priestesses to site search most paths manually. Communions largely suck now, so don't get to excited about them.

Anyway this just plays into the troop heavy meta of dom4, with getting cheap summons to flesh out your armies and large army buffs to make them survive longer.

After that you can push some Evo for the big spells. Roll down Conjuration for more troop summons. Construction for more path boosters. Alt for battlefield wide buffs. Hope you get death for bane lords/Tarts I guess.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Zauper posted:

Pretty sure you can trample them all.

Chariot archers now suffer pretty big casualties with the second shape changes. They are also useless against giants and dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

They can also do that while blind, deaf, mute, feebleminded, and missing both arms.

• Locked thread