Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I haven't played Dominions in a year or more but I have to admit a newish makeover might make me get back into it. Only problem I have is it seems like this feels like a huge content patch rather than the major differences they added from Dominions 2(great game if you loved thugging out commanders) to Dominions 3(which finally made non-ermor armies worth a drat.)

So if anyone remembers Dominions 2 jump to Dominions 3, does Dominion 4 feel like a similar jump or is this more of a lateral move of taking the core of Dom3 and making it much better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: How do people prioritise mages? I really, really hate pulling them off research to go to war because while 3 mages spamming fireballs is great, I just want to race down the research paths for the good stuff.
Every newbie has this issue until you realize what good is having X level research if you're not putting those spells to good use? I'd rather have twice as much land, gold, forts, and troops than X level research. The thing about research is that you wanna hit key spells for your mid/end game plans, but after that you can refocus on taking land.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lorini posted:

IS the AI any better? I'd like to get this but I'm broke at the moment and not sure if I want to try MP.
Everyone will tell you the same thing so let me start it off. Dominions is way more fun MP than SP. This is because the way you play in MP you're able to use a wider variety of strategies because diplomacy is an actual thing. In SP you can only hold something by force which means you're gonna spend a lot more gold on preserving land, or you spend it on large armies/thugs to rush to the capital of the AI and deal with them. Its essentially the same game in SP every time you play to some degree. SP is for testing expansion strategies or messing around.

AI seems better than Dom3 but not by a lot.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lorini posted:

The issue for me and MP is that I'm honestly not as serious a player as many others are. I'll certainly get my turns in on time and stuff like that, but I'm not going to spend two hours agonizing over turns and this game seems to demand that to have much enjoyment MP. At the same time I love strategy games and micromanagy type strategy games as well.
You're in the same boat I've been in for years. I would love a Dominions-type game that was really fun in SP but they just don't exist right now. Maybe next year with several kickstarter games releasing but until then... Dominions is where its at.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

-Troika- posted:

How do people feel about Luck 3 scales? It seems to me like they're far better in Dom4 than in Dom3-- I put those on my pretender and almost every turn magic items and gems and stuff just poo poo out everywhere in my dominion.
Actually there's been tests and Luck 3 is giving less gold/gems than Dom3. If you are loving the boost, go for it but its probably not as necessary as you think. If you're playing singleplayer to practice for multiplayer it can actually teach you bad habits.

• Locked thread