Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lawrence Edward posted:

So I conquered a province that had the Throne of Flames in it. It says I have to "claim" it to get it's benefits. Standard, the throne produces 1 flame gem. Claimed, it spreads dominion, blessed troops get fire resistance 3, and it produces 2 flame gems. It is currently only producing 1 flame gem. I moved a mage in there, and he has no options to claim it. There are no special building options in the province. Does anyone know what I need to do to claim it?

IIRC (and I'm phone posting so I can't check right now) you need to bring your prophet or pretender god there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes, but how does it incur a penalty from that? Obviously everything not in control of the flow of time will have an age, but surely it doesn't suffer from old age on a human timescale, which I thought was the implication?

Edit:

Oh wait, you mean when it turns into a mummy it suddenly gets hit with old age penalties because it's now mummy-type? If so that makes more sense, I thought the statement was that everything now takes old age penalties from the get go.

Yeah, mummies have a maximum age (presumably they start to fall apart after that) but since the Vastness is older than that, a Vastness turned into a mummy magically shows up already old.

I blame the problem of putting extradimensional bubbles inside cloth wrappings.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Time to get it and die horribly in newbie games, then! $20 was my limit and it's about that.

I haven't actually played any Dominions game at all, though I read the LPs, so this ought to be fun.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

He's got some nice stuff in his barn.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm looking at the blessing list and oh my god the stuff on there is absurd.

They made ethereal a blessing. Ethereal.

What's 'incarnate only'?

I may have to finally learn to play when D5 comes out...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

the Orb of Zot posted:

R'yleh getting some new toys. It's actually only available as dormant or imprisoned, RIP

...Map move 102?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I think this might be the Dominions that makes me take the plunge and learn how to lose at play one of these games instead of just reading LPs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I... I bought it. It's my first Dominions.

Now I can learn how to die horribly in multiplayer. I wonder if the manual is worth reading this time or very wrong.

Edit: What's the best way to learn? One AI game to figure out the actual commands and then dive straight into MP?

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 27, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Turin Turambar posted:

I would play 4-5 games against AI before MP, but that's me. You have to understand that MP games are long as hell, so it isn't like a FPS where you can play a few rounds to learn as you play.

I do indeed understand that MP games are long as hell; I just expect to lose any I'm in early on.

I'll start up a single-player game tonight. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

violent sex idiot posted:

sure but, you have to make a whole lot of decisions before the game starts and if you gently caress around in single player for 4 hours between turn 1 and turn 2 of a mp game you will probably want to kill yourself for making such an insanely bad pretender

That's going to happen anyway.

The manual isn't complete yet, either (lol), and doesn't include stuff like 'a section on what each nation does', though you better believe it has a section on what inspired them to make every nation.

edit: No, it does have them... scattered in the other pages as footers. Immediately between the sections on how the RNG works and Interface is the description of Ragha, for instance. Is there a list of nations and their general gimmick sitting around anywhere, even for Dom4? Most of them will be the same in concept if not in execution, I assume.

double edit: lol the manual's title is Microsoft Word - Dom5_manual.doc. I think I'll look for info elsewhere. Suggestions welcome.

vvvvv: not well.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jBrereton posted:

It's probably called what it's called because it's a work in progress by IW, idk though

Oh, I know, it's just funny. I have other reasons to look elsewhere for info, mostly because the info I want is not in the manual.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jBrereton posted:

What info would you specifically like?

There is an FAQ on steam but it's fairly useless atm.

A brief description of each nation would be nice so I know what I'm jumping into. It doesn't have to be extensive. Something like 'Early Age Caelum: Zoroastrian winged humanoids. Lots of lightning magic and flying infantry, but expensive and fragile.' (I don't know if that is accurate, I pulled it out of my rear end out of a half-remembered description of Caelum.)

Instead, the description of Caelum I have reads

Manual posted:

Caelum was originally a purely fictional nation of winged humanoids living atop the coldest mountain peaks. Later development has gifted them with Zoroastrian traits. The background of the Bandar Log and the Eagle Kings made the early Caelian history self-evident and a lot more interesting. The Yazatas, and the Spentas in particular, are Zoroastrian in origin, but the Caelian society at large is not.

which doesn't really tell me much about them in the game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I can see a couple I want to try out immediately. Thank you!

Is EA the most common age used in MP games?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jBrereton posted:

Certainly used to be.

Any particular reason? Increased magic, better nation designs?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Thanks a ton for those summaries and the ages explanation. I'd say more but phone posting with multiple quotes is a pain. Kinda want to give Ulm or TDD a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

LA Ulm was my favorite faction in Dom 3 and Dom 4. You get decent priests that are also earth mages and by way of a national spell also moonlight as large antimagic crossbow formations. Astral/blood spies, cheap astral mages that don't need a fort to produce, fortunetellers that give you weak access to basically every kind of magic. One of the best crossbow units in the game, a stealthy one that will gently caress you up with an axe if you try and get in their face. Antitheist ghouls in black plate that murder sacreds with their halberds of no gods no masters. Sacred superheavy cavalry in black plate, the leader of which can often chew up indies on his own. And that's not getting into the vampires and horrors they inevitably summon scores of.

I love pretty much everything about this, honestly. Definitely Ulm first. (Even though I might not start in that era.)

• Locked thread