Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Victor Vermis posted:

An insane commander.

That is a man with a fish, perfect material for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Since he's Mindless, he could actually be useful under the right circumstances. IIRC, mindless commanders are actually fairly rare in Dom3. 10 leadership could do some damage as a raider with the right troops and a little gear. Assuming that he's only 25% insane, not totally loopy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Ahh, got insanity mixed up with shattered soul. Is that still A Thing in Dom4? Has anybody seen it in use yet?

To the best of my knowledge, they're the same thing. Maybe they have a different set of non-actions to pull from?

Edit: Judging from the listed item paths/costs above, they're now separated? But costs do still seem to go up by increments of 5.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 3, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I can't be sure yet. I've only played a couple of turns and looked at the Pretender builder for a few hours. For example, the Beta download doesn't seem to have the manual, so there are a lot of mechanics that I'm seeing, but not necessarily understanding.

While it seems like a lot of the more non-intuitive mechanics have been dealt with and the UI is friendlier, there is also more complexity coming from spells and recruitment.
Fortunately, team games are a standard option, so it should be easier to get into MP that way.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Somebody posted an image in the PGS thread that has all the nations.

EA Ermor's Flamen and Pontifices are only available without a fort. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

THAT'S where they hid the Flamen? I fired up a game and thought maybe they'd just been removed.

That's awesome. They were barely worth recruiting before.

Still not sure that they are. Best to have another good recruitable mage in the same province to make the lab & temple a good investment.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Warlocks don't have high enough random paths (2 10% picks is useless). Hard to blood-hunt with cap-only mages.
Dragons are too expensive, and don't get any cross-paths. Old age. Few F2 spells good enough for Salamanders to be useful in battle. Fire resist makes them both useless.
Heavy infantry too slow to recruit in early game & has bad mapmove in late game. Also have enc problems.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Holy crap, LA Pythium is nice, all the heretics & 'frontier' troops available without a fort. MM3 Comitatense and MM2 Palatines available at every fort and a MM3 standard to go with them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Benagain posted:

Is dom 4 any fun to gently caress around with in single player or is this still an entirely multiplayer game?

It's better than dom3 because of the interface improvements, but I think the AI has managed to become worse. Less aggressive and has a much harder time expanding.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The Ryleh LP isn't a newbie game. Though I believe he's not particularly experienced with EA Ryleh.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

At least they've got H3s for claiming thrones? StR really screws a lot of nations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Mr Right posted:

I don't see it posted anywhere, will current Dominions 3 users be able to register their keys once it comes to Steam? It's basically the standard practise but as I said, I can't see it anywhere.

This has been confirmed, yes.

Also, the tutorial will be in the manual once the game is released. The open Beta is mostly just being nice to long-time fans. As far as pretender builds & long-term strategy are concerned, I'm sure that people will start posting ideas once the current crop of test games are finished. Until then, go dormant scales + minor bless in two diversity paths.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Here's the thing. There's a difference between blood magic & blood sacrifice. You could give #sacrificedom with no blood mages (like Dom3 Marverni), and either force decisions about whether to spend time building up an economy, or give a douse bonus to one of the units.

Unless you want the nation to be summoning demons, it's generally inappropriate to give out B paths. The use of Blood in magic & religous ceremonies was common throughout the world, it's a question of whether it was really that common, and whether it thematically fits with the 'Demonic' nature of B in the Dominions universe

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

If you can gear Skratti for crowd-clearing, they'll be able to chew up the masses of freespawn undead pretty easily if you send them in teams. Even the good ones only have a couple HP apiece. It's summoned units with auras or special attacks that you need to watch out for.

Hopefully you have access to F/E, the Flame Brand & Charcoal Shield tend to do well against undead. Otherwise, Vine Shield & a multi-attack weapon.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

First off, get all of Ermor's neighbors to ally up and murder him. LA Ermor begs to be dogpiled because they are insane and annoying to fight.

Assuming you have a large pile of Vaetti Hags researching stuff, I'd get Thaum 1->Evo 2->Conj 4 ASAP so that they can do things.

Thaum 1 lets your D randoms use dust to dust.
Thaum 1+Evo 2+Conj 3 lets you setup a reverse communion for solar rays spam with your S randoms.

:siren:Reverse communions are no longer a thing. :siren:

Edited for bolding and alarms.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this change. On the one hand, I know they're essentially unintended behavior (since they require fiddling with unit order, which is not something that should be required). On the other hand, they've been a thing for a long time and they're a lot of fun to set up and use. I'm not sure that they're a gamebreaking thing that needs to be removed, honestly. I feel like the game is tactically richer when small squads of otherwise crappy mages can link up and rain down some hell.

Oh yes. They were incredibly important and fun and fiddly little things. And they are the biggest reason for certain nations to be at all fearsome in Dom3. But it's a fact of life that we must adapt to.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Pulled this from the PGS thread, should probably be in the OP.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There's an Enc 2 Spell: Revive King that will give you a commander with 80 undead & 40 regular leadership for 5 gems.

Slightly more useful is Revive Bane, in Conj, since they have more HP and are thus less likely to take one arrow to the face and have your forces route. Censors are the Achen Empire's cheaper national version of the Bane. Both require a D2 mage to summon.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Goon coalitions make houses of cards look like fortresses.

Whoever kills Ermor is rewarded by being stabbed in the back. I'd better not be the one to kill Ermor.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

But then sometimes a Serpent Priest casts berserkers on your Hydra swarm, and they destroy everything. So it balances out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Preorder discount was 27ish. Current price should be steady, excepting sales.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Darkness is different, though. Cave Darkness and Solar Eclipse is -3 att def prec. Darkness spell is -6. Neither is as good as Darkness was in Dom3.

I'm surprised they didn't change DV to work like the other resistances, in this case. I feel like this makes more sense, since elite troops were more shafted by darkness than line troops. It'd be nice if the Eclipse/Cave penalty were higher, but you make do with what you've got.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's certainly not the bad one. You could argue the Pelagia are the 'good guys', maybe Oceania. It's easy to id the evil factions in the game, but the good guys are harder to highlight.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

You're pretty much right. The standard choices for Ctis are an SC to fend off rushes or fairly pure scales, maybe a minor E for your commanders. LA Ctis gets D/F naturally on the Sauromancer and they become sacred, so raining down (unresistable) Banefire on everything everywhere is a good addition to the classic "wall of undead".
Lots of people would go Sphinx in Vanilla Dom3 - get E for Hammers and high S for Wish. Depending on your Mod choices, that may still be a great option.

Someone, I think Lilli, posted a little folding wallet-sized turn checklist & general advice card a long time ago.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 19, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

You mean to tell me that you've left the oceans free from your tyranny message of hope? Barrels of Air! Your noble armies should not fear the waves!

Spread the good word! Coastal temples bringing human sacrifice hope to the tritons and mermen.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Research points tend to be spread pretty thin as it is, and unless you've got national spells the real payoff comes at Blood 4. You're best off just using slaves from a single hunter-mage for forging.

Maybe if you're expecting the game to last into year 7+, you'll see a payoff on that investment.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Helheim is excellent, Ulm varies between good (LA Ulm), alright, ish (EA Ulm), and terribad other than at indie bashing (MA Ulm). Agartha is probably the worst nation in every single age it inhabits :v:

LA Agartha can do some fun things with some planning. Ktonians are cap-only now, but they get bonus resources from Reanimators. Slow-moving, nearsighted legions of doom will be a Thing.

MA now has access to Rhuax and Barathrus Pacts, which are good summons. Plus the whole Golem Cult dominion effect.

Edit: For Caelum-chat, Corpse Constructs are super cheap (with the Staff bonus), shock & cold resistant, high HP, high Morale chaff. They can take a while to amass, but when you've got A1D1 mages and plenty of high A&W Evos to fling around, might as well set some dudes to monthly summoning.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 25, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Scelaria is probably going to serve you better than Ermor.

Any era of Arcos is probably good for beginners, also.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

They're fantasy Carthage. Whether they end up with a new, custom name list or if reusing Greek names will be good enough is another question.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sound effect volume didn't effect trample. :shepicide:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

boho posted:

I wish I could choose which songs I wanted it to play and which I didn't want it to play.

(Santa Maria song :frogout:)

You can replace any of the sound files. I've never done it personally, but a lot of the guys on DomMods forum switch the sound effects around. Don't know how it would work with the music, but the ability is there.

dominions4/data/rawsound

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Photosynaesthesias posted:

How do you pick a nation? I picked this up last night and it seems pretty cool and the learning curve isn't quite as steep as I expected, but every time I start a game it seems to assign me a random nation. Is that because I'm playing on a random map or something?

When you're in the New Game set-up screen, after picking the map and the Era, it defaults to random. Just click under "Nation" and you can choose whichever one you'd like to play in that era. This is also where you set up teams and AI difficulties/personalities.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I've just been leaving nation selection on random, then trying to figure out what the hell from there.

Gives an incentive to learn new strategies. Seemed to work okay for me in Civ 4.

Some general guides would be nice, the few that are around tend to be very specific. I know it's a complicated game, but an experienced player could look at a nation and see that this mage can cast X, or bless Y would be good. Or even, "these guys suck! I'd better take a blood/death pretender and bootstrap myself into vampires!"

Us new players have no bloody clue at all, it can sometimes leave us floundering!

The problem with random nation selection is that you really can't know what a nation needs from its god until you've looked at its units. What most of us do is have a saved game for each era where we have every nation active and set to human-controlled. That way we can just load up that game and take a peek at whichever nation we want. When you're setting up those games, just accept whatever random chassis is presented for each nation, and set "Starting Provinces" to 3 or 4 so you can get a look at any non-fort recruits each nation might get.

As a general newbie tip, I always say that a dormant god with Dom7, positive income scales, and a x4y4 bless can never do you wrong. It might not be multiplayer-competitive, but you'll be able to get a handle on how the game works.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Also, it's very important to keep your commanders out of harm's way. One unlucky arrow or sword hit can effectively destroy your starting army.

Edit:

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 6, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

We go to http://www.brainwrinkle.net and sign up for games.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's really quite flexible, since Brainwrinkle manually activates each account.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Am I correct in assuming that two temporary gem items on the same mage don't actually provide two temporary gems?

I don't know - try it out in Single player and tell me what happens.
I would think that if you're willing to fill both slots with the gem-items, you should get 2 gems.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's a free magic item on your dude, if nobody else enters. Don't send in a god, but maybe a mid-level thug.

Also, communions are the only practical way to get to H5.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Once and Future Queen should be H4, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Is anybody else having Dom4 take a really long time to download each turn? It's making me re-receive the map image every time.

• Locked thread