Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Our magical paths are backed by nuclear weapons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

lokipunk posted:

So a few years late to this party, but I just got Doms3 because I had plenty of steambux sitting around. I am absolutely loving this game and kicking myself for not getting it sooner. I am only currently playing against easy ai with http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki open on my other monitor to get a feeling of what the hell I am doing. Is this the kind of game where I should pick a race(theme) I like and go with it? Really like LA Ermor but I feel like that race won't win me any friends if I ever stop being afraid to play online.

As long as you don't play a blood nation you can't go wrong. Unless you pick Agartha. So I guess you can go wrong two ways. Oh yeah and LA Ermor like you said so three ways I guess.

e: If anyone has a link to Lili's LP where TheDemon was playing Lanka that would probably be an interesting and informative read for the guy

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 18, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Dude had some pretty badass gear in his barn.

Welcome to the wonderful world of goats. It's such a great feeling to wake up in the morning, knowing you can step out of bed, get a cup of coffee and there are your goats... you are at work. You don't have to put on a suit or put on a uniform. The best way to learn about goats is to visit a goat farm or ranch. Find one near you in our goat ranch guide which includes everything you need to know about the industry: how to get your business started, the financial aspect, maintenance and care, and so much more. To order your guide scry 1-800-GOD-GOAT.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

Anyway, AwesomeGods is going to come back with Dom4, and it's going to be more awesome than ever, with all the new stuff I can put on gods. Especially the new ability to summon random creatures from a pool, either existing or built yourself, and the start of battle summons that don't require a #onebattlespell.

Prince of Death needs to be accompanied by a black picket fence instead of shades.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Why aren't there temporary gemgens for every school? It is such a good idea it doesn't make sense to me to only have a few.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The comet has appeared in an underwater province and drowned.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Niefelheim is a really powerful and easy to play nation which has a lot of flexibility:

1. You can bless Jotun Giants and have them kill everything by walking toward it
2. You can recruit some skinshifters and kill everything by maiming it

It is this vast array of strategies that makes it a strong nation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

An average human is also strength 10.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

How much resistance do I need to withstand heat and cold auras with this new system?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Has anyone been summoning Zizs? Mine seem to crawl across the ground instead of flying.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

How to play Dominions 4 for newbies:

Pick EA Ermor

Train Hastati
Train Princpe
Train Tritari
Train Equite

Decimate your enemies (this means you should only kill 1/10 of them in this context).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Wasn't Mrs. Butterworth the LP where after a few turns he realized 75% of the players had gone AI?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I have two mod questions:

1. I added shock resist to a piece of armor and it gives a value of 2 no matter what I set it to. Is this normal? It is default equipment and not something forged if that matters.

2. What am I doing wrong with the montags? I want a random elemental summoned once at the beginning of battle.

#selectmonster "Earth Elemental" 497
#montag 1000
#end

#selectmonster "Water Elemental" 412
#montag 1000
#end

#selectmonster "Fire Elemental" 598
#montag 1000
#end

#selectmonster "Air Elemental" 571
#montag 1000
#end

Then #batstartsum1 -1000 on the summoner and I get nothing and 1000 gives me a demon jester which I assume is just his number.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Try giving them a #copystats before the #montag.

This didn't work. :( I don't know what I am doing wrong with this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Utterdark
Burden of Time
Go Computer Controlled

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

TheDemon posted:

- A silent neighbor is more threatening than a friendly one. Talk to your neighbors.

From the OP. All newbies heed this advice.

e: by newbie I mean actual newbie and not SA "played the game for 3 years but not 100% sure about their late-game strategy newbie"

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 12, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Anyone do spritework for :tenbux:?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I got in touch with Slug for spritework. Thanks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

goodness posted:

I did actually, I just wanted to know if there are any mods specifically useful to a new player and such.

To start out with maybe just the Single Age mod since I think it is cool being able to play any nation you want against any other one. CBM is the most popular mod but I would just play the base game to learn it. I'm not sure if these work with Dom4 though. Don't sweat the passive-aggressive people, the community is actually pretty good (if not bad).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I just wanted to leave this here and say that Slug's sprite work is absolutely amazing!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I made a unit with a #demonundead #bonus ranged weapon and gave it to a monster but he just sits there shooting it at non-demon and non-undead units inflicting no damage (obviously). What gives?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

sullat posted:

Reincarnation not firing in battle explains why I've only ever seen it happen once... If they chaned that it would be pretty neag to havd a bunch of white ones come back as gurus after a battle. Might be OP ic the chance is too high, though.

What do they come back as? The way it is worded I assumed they had a chance to become a temple-check.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Give their demons +1 or +2 stats, remove turmoil related abilities, and be done with the whole disaster.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

de_dust posted:

So I was having a mediocre albeit fun game, when suddenly I get the notice that my god had been permanently vanquished and those all-seeing-eye icons popped up everywhere in my nation. What happened?

de_dust, the pretenders have spoken, please being me your torch candle.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

amuayse posted:

Only one of the lesser horrors has a horror mark attack (astral claw) so if you get marked once, it usually isn't too bad.

Someone Sent Lesser Horror against my Shedu pretender one game and by the time he finally trampled the fucker to death he was so marked that he was immediately eaten by a Doom Horror the following turn. I was still killing independents. :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Iron Angel or bust.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Only if you're dedicated to making the game thug-based again.

Bane and Banelord-level summons would be nice. Just dear God nothing like Zmey ever again.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Has anyone experienced routing from just commander damage before? I was in a test game just brainlessly expanding (commander mixed in with infantry in a large square) and the enemy fired some arrows which hit the commander for 10 damage out of 11 hp and the army immediately routed and he died of a disease.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

if all your commanders rout your army will rout, commanders make a morale check if they are damaged so if you only have one commander leading a bunch of dudes it's a bad idea to put him in harm's way unless he's real tough

Thanks. I didn't know commanders made their own checks, I had just assumed the 75% rule was all I had to worry about in a situation like that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

W9 for jags that gotta go fast and throw more attacks and get hit by less attacks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Yeah the manual is altogether too big and also wrong in places. Just learn by doing.

In no particular order, forging "boosters" requires research into Construction, and is almost always more cost-effective than Empowerment.

Abysia is great against the AI, against other players you might have some trouble against people who artifically age the world, including your old-rear end mages and expensive troops (in Dominions 3, though, you're pretty safe in MA), and you might have problems against people who increase the unrest in your forts so you have trouble producing troops.

You have good battle magic paths, and high enough Astral and Blood that you can move into doing other stuff too. Sounds like your pretender has some Water and Earth magic, which cover the main gaps nicely.

Enslaving enemy units requires magic like Charm or Hellbind Heart on the battlefield. There are a few units that can do it with a 'weapon' called Enslave Mind (such as EA R'lyeh's Mind Lords), where it's done using the Fire (x) command. You can also use Succubi from the Blood tree to Seduce as a 'strategic' order, but that's in no way a given. It does have the advantage of taking them as a Commander rather than normal unit who has to be 'restored' through an expensive Thaumaturgy spell called Gift of Reason, though.

Keep in mind that you can boost a mage's casting path by 1 for one spell by consuming a gem. A mage however can only consume as many gems as their magic path is. So a F3 Anathema Dragon could cast Phoenix Power to raise himself to F4 then consume a gem to raise himself to F5 to cast Heat From Hell (2 gems so 2+1) but not Fire Storm (5+1). So you would need a booster to pull of non-communion Fire Storm.

Also, unless something has changed, there is only one communion per side per battle. This means that blood sabbath and astral communion all tie in together if you wanted to use that synergy. One master sacrificing a slave to Reinvigorate the communion for example or using a Demonbred as your large fire battlefield caster.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

MONKET posted:

Alright, thanks a bunch for the help guys. Everything's a lot clearer now, will hang around IRC more for sure. I love this game and its hundreds of blood-boiling spells so much :unsmigghh:

How do you consume a gem? Simply by giving to them and putting it in their inventory and then ordering them to cast a ritual spell?

Yeah they'll burn the gems automatically if they have them and you scripted the spell. Make sure they have the box checked to conserve gems or they will burn them doing stupid crap if they have the chance.

An extra gem can also be used to reduce fatigue, so Heat From Hell could consume 4 if you had it but I'm not sure if there is a point since casting a huge spell and passing out is pretty much the cool thing to do.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

If Caelum infantry's purpose is something other than grounding themselves with a storm and body-blocking the enemy then you need to remove thunder strike.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

How do afflictions work with Phoenix Pyre? Will a thug using Phoenix Pyre eventually become a crippled, eyeless, monstrosity? Or is there some sort of diplomatic immunity?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I wish there was a "Conserve Communion Slaves" button. Thank you for joining the holy dominion brave dudes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Armageddon, BoT, or Utterdark just means its time to blast out through the canopy and let the AI deal with it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Do I need to sign up a seperate Brainwrinkle account if I only used the old (matryx?) one before? I can't log in and it isn't sending a password but want to make sure. I haven't played MP in a long time.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I remember in my first newbie game there was a 4 year veteran who joined because he wasn't exactly sure about his end-game strategy. :laffo:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

amuayse posted:

So what niche should Zmeys fill?

None, get rid of the fuckers and start over with a fire summon that doesn't fly, or have AoE3, or 25 strength with 3 attacks, or 150HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Is this game ever going to go on Steam and give us Steam keys? I want to buy a copy for a friend and guilt-trip him into playing but if won't make it to Steam I know it will never be installed.

• Locked thread