Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is Abysia still abysmally lovely?

Konec Hry posted:

Read this as MLP LP and got very angry very quickly.

SA's very own master LPer Quovak already did an MLP LP. I'd watch a MLP conversion Dom4 LP if only for the massive, endless, impossibly sweet goon tears.

TheDemon posted:

Of course, this is only a gemgen if you have a disease first. Not sure if anything has synergy with it, maybe Bane Venom Charm if that's still in?

Can't you just get a low-supply province and fill it with lovely troops? Disease will start to set in after 2 turns of low supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

builds character posted:

We tried to do this for the five(ish) worst nations in each age - making them not terrible. Not making them good, just making them playable. It's way more difficult than you would think to make a nation just OK vs making them OP.

A lot of the worst nations weren't really bad on the level of cost and efficiency, but on conceptual levels. Sometimes i can think of things that would really help without being absurd (EA Agartha's oracles should have more than 1 in their loving relevant paths), but i'm really at a loss to think of what would make Abysia or MA Oceania good while still being recognizable.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WYA posted:

Why are people saying MA Abysia is unplayable in dom3?

Because i'm particularly bad at fire nations and also i was too lazy to specify that MA is better than EA or LA and just said "Abysia" because i wanted an example of a conceptually poor nation other than MA Oceania. And conceptually bad doesn't mean unplayable - it just means that making them good would make them very, very different.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Decrepus posted:

As long as you don't play a blood nation you can't go wrong. Unless you pick Agartha. So I guess you can go wrong two ways. Oh yeah and LA Ermor like you said so three ways I guess.

e: If anyone has a link to Lili's LP where TheDemon was playing Lanka that would probably be an interesting and informative read for the guy

It's in the OP.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So is Astral still 1 free nohit and how does that interact with blood vengeance?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pierzak posted:

Cattebloops :catstare:

I'm pretty sure TheDemon has a picture from when Catorjekla;jf had AOE attacks but i can't find it in the old threads.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Flavahbeast posted:

These are probably the images you're thinking of, iirc they're from a mod game where a lot of the summon spells were made more efficient (catoblepi being a rare case of the unit actually being sort of worth the gems to begin with)

PRECISELY! I dug through the last two threads filtering for both you and Diabl0, didn't see them. Was i just a moron or did the host die?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

amuayse posted:

Wow, tri blesses are pretty scary.

We could try to resurrect SADASS and see if a draft group fucks up so bad that somebody gets Divine Throne + Jaguar Warriors.

e: Again. I just wanted to double check that that is what Fleur Bleu did. F9A9W9E9S9 was a truly excessive bless.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 22, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

LordLeckie posted:

I think it was 4 major bless' F9W9A9E9 and then N4 maybe? And got lucky and found a flame shield from a random event turning one of the ponymen into a butchering machine.

NOPE

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AfroSquirrel posted:

With the Cookie Clicker fad going on, I'm wondering how long it will be before someone makes a Grandmatriarch pretender chassis.

I think you mean The Cookie Crone :colbert:

jBrereton posted:

I dunno, 12 Jaguar Warriors would probably've done the same, assuming they had a bless that was befitting of their Being Jags?

(also looks like a morale type failure on Marverni's part, but then their leaders in that battle are total garbage; remember those Barbarian Chiefs have -1 inspiration, as well as an unimpressive squad cap).

So they're probably 50% more powerful than they should be :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WYA posted:

Order is way too good now, everyone takes it. They need to spice it up a bit.

"Now"? I'm pretty sure people only touched negative order in mod games.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Don't even need BoT for that. Warlocks are so old they may as well start diseased.

Speaking of, did they fix aging for Atlanteans? The whole goddamn lore of the race is based on Atlanteans not "aging" but "continuously growing" (same with Aboleths, iirc) so they should at least be immune to aging if not get like neg-age.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Slaan posted:

Getting through that would be bad enough, but oh god the trumpeting! :gonk:

Doctor Zero in BOATMURDERED posted:

"What kind of emergencies?"

"Oh, you know, the usual. Sieges. Goblins. Elephants. Well, sieges, Goblins, and Elephants mostly. But the elephants. Oh, gods, the ELEPHANTS! See, sometimes we catch them..." He lowered his voice to a conspiratorial tone, "...you can hear them... in the night... the trumpeting... THE TRUMPETING!"

And then he screamed and ran off.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'd think the question would really come down to "are MA nations better equipped to fight tons of corporeal undead than LA nations are to fight some uncorporeal undead."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is it possible to create an item that is a reverse Air Barrel? Or a global that makes all your aquatic dudes amphibious? Or a spell that converts land provinces into water?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

jBrereton posted:

I believe Hypnotise is a Confusion effect upon the target.

On reincarnation, obviously the prostrat is to build your pretender around rushing Burden of Time (it's only Thaum 5!) and reincarnate until you have HUNDREDS of candles. Can't possibly fail.

This is the ultimate domkill strategy.

Have any Dom4 games actually gotten to "late game" or is it all just theory atm?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Re: Yomi, could you add some Turmoil-based nation-specific random events to make up for the income hit a little bit?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kenlon posted:

I've been playing around with modding ideas, and one of the things I've been considering is adding a communion spell to fire. F2, probably conjuration, probably with a higher fatigue than the base communion spells. Fire definitely needs something - and this would add some interesting flavor, too. I've been going through the janky spreadsheet of mages I'm putting together and looking to see if this expands the power of any nations too far - most of the nations that seem to benefit aren't exactly powerhouses already.

Is there any spell other than Curse of Stones that adds encumbrance to units? Maybe something with medium range, high precision, small AoE that's earlier in the tech trees? That kind of makes some sort of sense as a fire spell and would add another tool for trying to counter early game elite units/thugging.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kenlon posted:

The other thing that the game needs is more ritual magic with actual teeth. That could be helpful for the weaker combat magic lines.

Wasn't this one of the selling points for Fire?

Maybe it could use a dissent-raising ritual (as well as a higher end 'blow up troops' spell).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

jsoh posted:

There is a unrest raising ritual, burning hearts

gently caress i'm inattentive to things that don't make a big splash in LPs. Give them a better one then i guess.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dom4 meta comes down to C'tis vs. Mictlan.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ataxerxes posted:

Could you give a commander 2 brass arms and have him use four shields?

Give a four armed commander a brass arm and have him use five

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

amuayse posted:

Just for curiosity's sake: A quickened crone with flaming arrows and three bows of war.

This rules and should be in the OP. The only thing i'd want more would be a monolith with two bronze arms and a Trident of the Champion.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

amuayse posted:

Well they were able to kill like 17 out of the 30 W9B9 jags. Only took 120 slingers.

I was actually thinking Serpent Dancers.

The Sharmat posted:

Seriously, why did the devs feel that it made sense to give Mictlan BUFFS?

Any balance mod that doesn't approach this issue is not a balance mod.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Flavahbeast posted:

imo new bv isn't really a buff to mictlan because s9f9w9 is still better

The problem with mictlan is that jags and eagle warriors are too cheap, there is zero reason not to tank your scales for a tribless. MA mictlan was the strongest dom3 nation imo

What's the logic? I'd think archers+battlefield evo is a bigger overall threat to jagspam than...master enslave?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Asehujiko posted:

Inverted old age penalties that make them stronger to go with their "never die of old age" theme?

The fact that they don't already do this for Agartha and Atlantis is shameful as hell.

I thought Agartha also had the problem of incredibly poo poo path diversity and incredibly poo poo noncap mages? It's pretty loving hard to compensate for "lovely magic" with any nation.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Victor Vermis posted:

Given enough arrows, B9N9E4-blessed giants CAN be killed.

RIP 163 dead pygmies =(

Dominions 4: Everything Counts in Large Amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Neruz posted:

The stupid part was that the free points weren't accounted for at all, so Niefelheim got an entire scale dump worth of free points which they definitely needed because they're clearly one of the weaker factions.

Used carefully it could have been an interesting mechanic, but I think it was probably an unintended side-effect rather than a mechanic.

I just want to reiterate how out of sync the designers were with actual game balance: they listed Niefelheim's militia as one of their greatest strengths as a nation.

• Locked thread