Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Gilgameshback posted:

Has anyone been able to get the Mac version to run? I bought it from Desura but it crashed as soon as I entered my serial number and now it crashes immediately when I start it.

Yes, it's a bit funny though. The game's sound is playing up, which is what is causing it. So the way to do it is to disable sound before you go in. The only way I know how to do it on a mac is this way:

1. Right click, or ctrl click on the Dominions4 app and select 'open package contents'
2. Select Contents Folder
3. Select the MacOS Folder
4. Open Terminal
5. Click and drag the Dominions4 unix executable file into terminal
6. At the end of the line " -s"

^ Make sure you include the space, but don't include the quotation marks.

7. Press Enter, the game should load up normally.
8. Disable sound in menu

After you do that, the game should load without needing to do those steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I like the idea of LA Ermor where they get chaff for free and use gems to summon their mages. I don't like their 'kill everything' aura of death.

Is it possible to make a mod nation where they get free chaff? Or is that something that only an Ermor thing? I'm interested in trying my hand at modding a nation and that would be the kind of thing I'm interested in making.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I know that, but it is an example. LA Ermor is replaced by an L starting one with Soul Gates or something.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Ok, the obvious answer to this question is going to be 'play the game more rear end in a top hat' but I wanted to see if an idea is too overpowered.

The premise for the nation is it is an Air nation with a little fire and astral. It is also similar to LA/MA Ermor in the sense that is summons it's commanders are summoned and you do not recruit your chaff/units. You do get your chaff for free, but you have to summon it, either through a commander who can summon or an item similar to the devil summoning contracts. You get less, but they are better quality and can fly. The nation also doesn't Dom-kill.

Now here is the part that I can't decide is overpowered or not.

Since Caelum is already the nation of powerful air mages who fly (at least in EA, they get worse as time goes on), I don't want to tread on their feet. Instead I was looking at mages with 3 air base and a chance of 4 10% of the time and give them something else.

This is an either or scenario.

1. Their expensive mages (30 gems to summon) all come into battle with auto-storm similar to the staff and all of their commanders and chaff can fly in storms.

2. They have an expensive commander (between 20 and 30 gems to summon) doubles as a gemgem (generates 1 air gem a turn). I prefer people to objects for gemgems as you can rescue the items if you know your castle is going to get stormed but your commanders are stuck there.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I wasn't planning on giving them any paths. I wasn't even planning on giving them fly so they can't just flutter away.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I don't think I'll go the Gem-Gem path. I'll give some later summons/heroes the temporary gems instead.

So I'll give them Storm Immune, flying and some commanders that auto-cast storm. Their mages also won't be slow to recruit. To compensate for that advantage they won't have great magic access and need gems to get their mages. I'm thinking max 4 air, 3 astral and 2 fire.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Either EA or MA. If I like doing this enough, I might do a set of 3 era for the guys.

It was also going to be A3 with a chance of A4, the free storm means it can get up to A4 without any issue anyway.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

amuayse posted:

What race are they btw?
I have no art skills, but was thinking like air otherworldly looking things.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Agartha is my favorite nation and I haven't been really played Dom 4 that much since I bought it shortly after it was released. I've noticed that EA Agartha has gotten so much better and looks viable.

I've been playing around an imprisoned Titan of the Underworld, 7 Dom 8E5D (for the minor earth bless and to cast that spell that opens the seal) and 3 Order, 1 Production, 1 Heat, 3 Growth and 1 Drain.

Is this pretty good? I figured that Agartha needs money and it's troops are good enough without needing a super bless or an awake SC.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
^^^ I'm just playing with myself at the moment. But I will give that Valanis map a go.

Absum posted:

Go at least Heat 2 preferably 3 to counteract winter and people with cold dom, the cold blooded encumbrance penalty is kind of horrible.

Will do, Heat 3 will get me Magic 1, Production 3 (probably useless since I'm constrained by Holy Points) or Protection 9 or so.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That is music to my ears. It was upsetting when only LA Agartha was any good.

I haven't really looked into it, but is MA Agartha decent now or is it still kinda poo poo?

EDIT:

Is protection good or is bad? I forget if defense skill is the good one or not.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The Dom 1 human mages, what do you do with them?

I find Dom gets really expensive so I never go them, but I'm sure they useful. I just don't have the skills to know what for.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
MA Agartha feels a little like playing on easy mode. Their Ancient Ones are simply awesome with a N9 bless. Adding three to the army at the start and making him a prophet in all my test games is basically unbeatable. A second and third armies with just ancient ones and oracles is basically just me painting the map black and once you start summoning up elementals and living mercury you are basically just a walking victory.

EDIT:

I just signed up to the newbie game. What sort of things should I be doing with LA Man? Since they can take Drain I've taken max drain and an awake Dragon with just 7 dom, 3 order, 1 production and 3 growth.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 23, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

akulanization posted:

:allears: these fat wormy dudes that can barely hit the broad side of a barn before they pass out from heaving around their jelly rolls can't stop won't stop.

:downs:

akulanization posted:

If you are taking an awake dragon you should go dom 9 at least for awe. LA Man has longbows and crossbows and if you set those on fire with flaming arrows (enchantment 4) you can do some good stuff. Magisters Arcane are decent mages and if you can manage a communion you can throw around lightning and earth buffs. Late game isn't so hot with a dragon but with an awake SC and a decent midgame you should be able to toss something together.

Well, I wasn't too sure what to do with them. Are there better commanders?

I should probably get on IRC.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Better commanders than what? Castellans? Not really. They're pretty good at their job. 80 leadership and +1 morale is always nice. You'll often want to buy indie commanders just to ferry troops with, though, and save your fort recruitment slots for mages.

I meant Gods or scales, I should have written that down :downs:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I feel better with Growth anyway. I'm looking at a Dom 9 Dragon with 4 in whatever magic, O1P1G3D3. Is there a particular magic path I should take as LA Man or is whoever good? I'm leaning towards Fire just because :downs:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
With Assassination, can you retreat your mages or are they stuck?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

jsoh posted:

retreating from assassination is death, but you also cant script defense for assassinations so they will just do whatever random poo poo the ai decides they should do.

So I am unable to script at all? It's just whatever the AI decides plus whatever the bodyguards decide to do? What about for the assassin? Can I script him to retreat at the end without him dying?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Is it common for Dominions 4 to CTD a lot with Multiplayer? I have it both on my Mac Laptop and my Windows PC but I cannot play it at all on my Mac. Everytime I go into play, the game crashes. It also took forever to download the map on my Windows PC (bad packet errors constantly crashing).

It appears to be working on my PC but I wanted to play it on my Mac as well so I could do turns on the train.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
:gonk: I have the worst luck. I've never heard of profused bleeding but the first hit against my SC caused it and he died during the first battle.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Decrepus posted:

I really hope you blind expanded on turn 1.

I always do. It wasn't even a difficult spawn, 20 random crap dudes and like 10 heavy cavalry. A dom 9 dragon should have eaten them for breakfast.

I'm getting the feeling there is a rule I don't know :downs:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

If profuse bleeding is like other afflictions, it may be because you attacked into not-friendly dominion and the damage vs total HP rolled profuse bleeding. But then profuse bleeding may not be considered an affliction and may not work like them, so I don't actually know! I try to only attack with my dragon pretender into friendly dominion because I get very sad when my dragon dies.

I am very sad now and I'm sure the nation of Man is currently wondering why they decided to hitch their wagon to that particular dragon.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
What do you do to recall your pretender?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Neruz posted:

None of the major religions in the world have an actual physical god that you can go talk to, in Dominions terms all the major religions in the world are worshipping Imprisoned pretenders so we only see the prophets, who are of course human because unlike in the Dominions world on Earth your choice of sentient creatures are Humans, Humans or Humans.

I can, however, say with some authority that if a giant slab of basalt rose up in the middle of Sydney and started issuing mental commands and employing magical spells most of Australia would probably convert to the Monolith pretty quickly: certainly everyone in Sydney would.

gently caress off, Salamander Jesus is the only real god.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm playing test games and I'm having trouble working this out. Does the spell Horror Seed work?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Mu. posted:

A lot of the time when you have multiple different mod nations they will conflict and not work because both nations will have used the name unit id or some poo poo. This makes it hard to do modnation games, because some poor rear end in a top hat has to go through each .dm file and merge them, making sure that there are no conflicts.

I figured that, surely, it must be pretty easy to automate this process. All you need is a program which: 1.) take a bunch of .dm files as input, 2.) merges them into a single .dm file, and 3.) goes through the newly merged file incrementally overwriting those commands which might cause conflicts.

LordWindy on IRC then agreed to produce such a piece of software, and so I said I would make a list of those commands which may cause conflicts, and find out what their allowable ranges are.

Turns out this poo poo is more complicated than I thought it would be.

http://hastebin.com/raw/wijakuriwi <-- if any fucker retard who mods this lovely game wants to look over this and see if it covers everything, please do so.

That is an awesome list!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Update on PMS (Project Mod Smasher)

I'm in the process of compiling mods into their parts. Life has been made easy by requiring a #end and an opening statement like #newmonster.

The only problem I see in the future is what happens when two mods modify the same thing. Eg, the same vanilla weapon. Similar mod mashing tools pick the one closest to vanilla but I don't want to do that. I may either throw an exception telling the user to fix it or just using the first one and telling them of the conflict.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Enjoy posted:

#FeelTheBern

What mod does that come from?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

jBrereton posted:

OK, some things about this:

- Monsters can be assigned a #montag value in a range from 1000-10000, which is used in the positive form on the monster ID itself, and then the negative form for anything that uses it (I have no loving idea why but this is the case). So if frogs (unit 2222) and goats (2227) were assigned #montag 1001 and you have a #makemonsters type command, you'd summon them with -1001.

I believe different montags cannot include the same creatures but I could be wrong on that, I know there's something weird like that about them (and in general certain things accept them and certain things don't).

Easy enough to work with. If Mod 1 and Mod 2 both use the same montag I can easily give one a different value and update the montag value thoughout the mod. Useful to know the syntax however!

quote:

- You can use multiples of 1000 between at least 2 and 4 (haven't tried with more or less, probably possible up to 9000 before you get rituals at 10000) to create lingering clouds for X amount of turns, I believe this works with all one-time effect #effect values like summoning and damage.

Extra things: if a mod contains an #xpshape command is it 100% crucial the monster numbers remain consecutive after being reconciled, because the argument is the amount of XP it takes to get to the next monster number, you can't currently define specific monsters to turn things into.

Same goes for #growhp and #shrinkhp.

Ok this was super important. Thanks for letting me know! I'll order everything by their ID number over the written order now that I know it's important. That way I don't have to change how I assign IDs.

quote:

- Events go between 1 and 3192 by default as of 4.24. Like spells, which go up to 1071, this is very likely to rise with future patches so starting at 3700 or so is probably best practice.

- Modified event codes might be a bitch to reconcile, since they're so interdependent with event numbers and can often string together. Then again computers might be really good at it.

These two won't be any issue. I already have defines in place that let you choose the range.

As well, 100% of IDs will likely be changed unless they luck into being in the correct ID for their spot. If numbers change I want to have people be able to throw their mod back into the Mod Masher and have the ID numbers updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Blitzes are amazing, I will stand by that.

• Locked thread