Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Diseases are now apparantly supposed to eat 1/10th hp per month rather than 1 hp per month, so they matter a lot more if they hit high hp creatures; I think that item will be used a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
About the disease gem-gen - at present it is unique in the beta, so I would not particularly worry about a strategy based on them unless/until that changes. I mean, 1 gem per turn isn't NOTHING, but it also isn't something to build a strategy around - especially by the time Con 8 rolls around.

I've been playing the beta, and I really like all the interface improvements. It feels much more usable.

Astral got pretty nerfed at present, in that Ring of Sorcery/Ring of Wizardry got pushed to requiring S7/S8 for forging. This means it's a lot harder to get them to use to booster yourself up other paths, unless you burn gems on empowerment, or have unaided S5 AND a head slot and earth access, or have artifact astral boosting items.

Also: I've been running a game for a long time to try new spells and look at new items etc. Around early Year 8, it started giving me messages every month about the stars being right for blood magic and therefore blood magic being cheaper. This seems to be a 20% off to blood costs for spells, and it happens every month. Anyone else seen this?

Great Gray Shrike fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 2, 2013

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Booster Changes in the Beta as far as I can tell (using the wiki as a baseline):

Air:
Winged Helmet: Cost from 25 air to 20 air.
Bag of Wind: Requirements from 4 air to 5 air.
Robe of the Magi: req from 5 air 5 blood to 6 air 6 blood.
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from A25/E25 to A20/E20.

Tome of High Power: Unchanged.

Astral:
Crystal Coin: unchanged
Starshine Skullcap: unchanged
Ring of Sorcery: cost from 40 astral to 55 astral, req. from 5 astral to 7 astral
Ring of Wizardry: cost from 65 astral to 70 astral, req. from 6 astral to 8 astral.

Tome of High Power: unchanged
Dimensional Rod: Unchanged
Forbidden Light: Cost 25 astral 25 fire to 30 astral 30 fire, req. from S4/F4 to S5/F5.
Atlas of Creation: NEW. Artifact. E5/A5 + 30 gems of each, gives +1 Earth, +1 Astral, +1 Nature. Also gives castable spell that reveals all sites in the province where the Atlas is located

Blood:

Blood thorn from 25 to 20 slaves.
Armor of Souls: Requirement from B5 to B6.
Armor of Twisting Thorns: Unchanged.
Brazen Vessel from B4 to B5, from 25 slaves to 30.
Robe of the Magi: req from 5 air 5 blood to 6 air 6 blood.

Flesh Ward: Requirement from B5 to B6.
Tome of the Lower Planes: Unchanged.
Black Book of Secrets: Unchanged.

Death:

Skull Staff: Unchanged.
Skull Face: From D4/25 gems to D5/30 gems.

Sun Slayer: Req. D5 to D6.
Flailing Hands: Unchanged.
Jade Mask: Cost from 65 to 55 death gems, path req from 6 to 7 death.
Scepter of Dark Regency: Death bonus +3 to Death Bonus +2. Req. from 5D to 6D.
Black Book of Secrets: Unchanged.

Earth:

Earth Boots: Unchanged.
Blood Stone: Unchanged - except for the free gem/turn into a temporary battle gem, which I think was fairly integral to the whole Blood Stone experience...
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from A25/E25 to A20/E20.

Pebble Skin Suit: Unchanged.
Boots of Antaeus: E4/25 gems to E5/30 gems.
Sword of Many Colors: Cost 25 earth gems to 20 earth gems
Atlas of Creation: NEW. Artifact. E5/A5 + 30 gems of each, gives +1 Earth, +1 Astral, +1 Nature. Also gives castable spell that reveals all sites in the province where the Atlas is located.

Fire:

Flame Helmet: Cost from 25 to 20.
Skull of Fire: Unchanged.
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from F25/W25 to F20/W20.

The Ruby Eye: Unchanged.
orbidden Light: Cost 25 astral 25 fire to 30 astral 30 fire, req. from S4/F4 to S5/F5.
The Staff From The Sun: NEW. Artifact. S5/F1 30 astral 5 fire. +1 fire magic, +1 fire ritual range, +5 fire resist, +1 temp. fire gem. 2 handed.

Nature:

Thistle Mace: Unchanged.
Treelord's Staff: Req from N5 to N6.
Moonvine Bracelet: Unchanged.
Armor of Twisting Thorns: Unchanged.

Atlas of Creation: NEW. Artifact. E5/A5 + 30 gems of each, gives +1 Earth, +1 Astral, +1 Nature. Also gives castable spell that reveals all sites in the province where the Atlas is located.

Water:

Robe of the Sea: Unchanged.
Water Bracelet: Unchanged.
Staff of Elemental Mastery: cost from F25/W25 to F20/W20.

Orb of Atlantis: Unchanged.

Holy:

Biggest change: I actually care about boosters for this now that there are thrones to capture and not all nations have native H3 priesting.

Immaculate Shield. NEW. Artifact. F3/15 gems, S2/10 gems, +1 Holy, +2 Awe, 23 prot, -1 def, 9 parry, 1 enc.
Sword of Injustice from 25 gems to 20 gems.
Sword of Justice unchanged.

OTHER new items:

A set of Unique 'Dawn' Equipment with lore that it belonged to Enkidu. Sword, Shield, Helmet, and Armor. This actually seems to really suck right now except MAYBE as an anti-demon fighter if the enemy is using ONLY demons. It just doesn't provide the necessary level of offense and crowd damage to really do anything against swarms of opponents.
A unique Helmet of Perfection - W3A3 and 15 gems of each, 25 Prot and Awe +5.

A construction 6 Bow for D3/15 gems and A1/5 gems that does 3x14 armor piercing and anything it kills resurrects as a soulless.
Construction 2 Helmet for N1/5 gems with Luck and Poison Resist but no armor.
Construction 6 E4/20 gem helmet that onbattlespells ironskin.
Construction 4 shield F2/10 gems with 23 prot, -1 def, 9 parry, 1 enc, 15 fire resist.
Construction 2 armor A1/W1 5 water gems 5 air gems, gives 13 prot, 1 enc, -1 def, +3 Magic Resist.
Construction 2 misc. E1/5 gems for +2 Magic Resist.
Construction 4 misc. E1/N1 5 gems of each for luck and shock resist +5.
Construction 4 misc. N1 to make a non giant unit giant sized (size 4).
Construction 4 misc. N5/30 gems to cure wearer of disease.

A bunch of 5 gem artifacts that boost ritual range.
A bunch of misc slots for messing with people's passive scouting info:
- at Constr 2, A2/N1 + 10 air and 5 nature to make 25 units invisible to scouting.
- At Constr 2, D1/N1 + 5 of each gem to make an army appear +50 units bigger.
- At Constr 4, A2 + 10 Air gems to make an army +75 units bigger.
- At Constr 6, A4 to make an army appear to all be the same unit type.
A bunch of cheap items that give a lot of stealth.
A bunch of items now give wound prevention (prevents afflictions apparantly)

Great Gray Shrike fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 3, 2013

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
On immobile sitesearching: there are a few options.
Each path has an individual site search spell. It costs a couple gems and reveals all sites in that specific path.
There are a couple multi search spells. If you are underwater, voice of tiamat searches all the elemental paths (AWEF) using water gems. For a massive 25 astral and a S3 caster turn, acashic knowledge (formerly acashic records) reveals all sites in any province, including holy.
Finally; Immobiles can be moved a few ways - teleport definitely works, and I think most other transport magic does too, eg cloud trapeze etc. Not sure about Stygian paths or other spells. This is inefficient though - every province you want your immobile to leave will need a lab. Its more a handy trick for moving a big caster immobile onto a useful bonus site.

Overall though Immobiles are better as cost- efficient ritualists and forgers.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Ogres seem pretty solid to me, but I am probably missing something. They hit really hard, though, and probably are going to go-to units unless something changes for nations with easy E access.

In other Ulm news, EA Ulm has a hidden benefit/buff - in half (6) of a dozen or so provinces conquered so far, the following are recruitable WITHOUT a fort:

Warrior Scout
Warrior Chief
Shaman (req. lab, temple)

Archer
Axe Warrior
Warrior
Mountain Warrior

While Shamans aren't great, you will still likely want a bunch of them for diversification if nothing else over the smiths, and the fact that they are recruitable at all without forts seem interesting, and likewise for the other units. Getting the Warrior Chiefs is nicer than a typical indy commander also.

Any other nations have this new 'recruitable national units in some provinces without a fort' feature?

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Curse of the Frog Prince seems pretty hilarious. Its funniest bit is that almost anything you frog will, in addition to getting almost all stats set to 1, will also suffer crippling old age penalties to those stats not set to 1 (frog old age is 7 years). It's effectively a nice nature save-or-die for 0 gems at N2.

I've been looking at a lot of the nations, and I think one of the clear winners of the balance changes is MA C'tis at present: Their Marshmasters are still recruit all castles and not slow to recruit and are as good as ever, and they have new limited-amount cap-only sacred ultraheavy infantry added to an already decent army, and they got several nice spells out of the changes and addons. Mostly, it's people being nerfed around them though that makes them stand out from the crowd, though - a lot of STR mages everwhere.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Thanks!

After playing a bit of single player and watched some lps to get used to it I have few other newbie questions if people don't mind answering:

With creating a pretender what is the point of the non moving chassis?

I was playing a game with EA pan and had a pretender that could be stealthy (Lord of the Wild maybe?), unfortunately when I sent him with another commander to attack a province he just snuck in whilst the commander fought. How would I get him to join in rather than sneak?

Another thing is that when I made him attack from hidden I wanted him to cast those tunes spells (which I think are racial?) but he would never cast them despite them having no gem cost and him having the nature magic skills. Why would he not cast them?

It seems you should be hiring researchers every turn right?

1) The immobile chassis are cheap point-wise, and tend to come with a high dominion (saving more points). If you already have good expansion abilities in your native troops, and good magic abilities for the mid and lategame in your native mages, you can take an immobile with a 'scales' build and really good scales so you can make more units and more forts and so forth faster by focusing on economy, with maybe a little lategame magic. The oracle is a classic example of this - take maybe an S6-S7 oracle (depending if you can forge a crystal coin or not) and dom 6-8 and crazy high scales (lots of Order, productivity, luck, growth, and magic), imprison the oracle, and use your scales to win the game with a decent astral caster coming out lategame to cast wishes or whatever eventually and provide magic diversification. If your nation doesn't need/want help expanding or midgame fighting this can be a pretty decent choice.

Some of the new immobile chasses may be decent for blesses as well; I haven't tested it fully, but the Earth/Astral guy could probably provide a really good sacred-spellcaster-blessing with maybe E6S6 for good reinvigoration/magic resist, quite cheaply points-wise, for example.

2) Stealthy commanders can be ordered to move using control+click when moving. If a commander has all stealthy troops and is stealthy themselves they will default to hiding while moving so won't attack the target.

3) Not sure. Check the ranges on the spells, though - if the targets of a spell (allied for buffs/heals etc, enemies for damaging/etc) on aren't within range, they will cast AI-determined other spells instead

4) You want to hire researchers as much as possible, yes. There is occasionally reason to build other things out of your forts once in a while (occasionally you might need a good priest, for example) but usually you want to focus on getting researchers as much as possible.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
^Stationary pretenders don't do much early on. They can't really expand or sitesearch at all, ever, and you don't have the research early on to let them forge anything strong or cast any rituals. They present obvious problems with using them in early combat against other nations. I haven't even looked at every single nation's pretender gods in Dom4 and tried them all out yet, so I won't say that they are categorically useless, but in general they're probably better asleep/imprisoned and coming into the midgame/lategame so you have more points for scales etc.

In general, you want to choose a pretender to accomplish certain goals - e.g., take 1 province a turn for the entire first two years, or forge/cast high astral spells when your nation only gets low astral to give you access to Rings of Sorcery/Wizardry and lategame rituals Arcane Nexus/Wish, or provide high death access and break into death, or provide a huge bless so you can make an expansion party from every fort every turn or two. Usually these goals don't include 'stand around researching about as well as decent cap-only mage for a year and a half'.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Conquering Ermor tends to suck. It requires a huge investment in time/resources, and frequently requires you to invest in things you won't otherwise use much, and you have to trudge through low pop provinces that won't give you much gold/etc after taking them. The only bright spot is the ridiculous number of Death gems available from Ermor's capital.

For playing as LA Ermor, I was finding that the actual Ermor special summons weren't as cost-effective research-wise as Enchantment 3 revenants, so that might be a good early research target.

I don't think playing MA or LA Ermor are good nations to use to learn the game. They're completely different than pretty much any other nation, so pretty much everything you learn will be inapplicable to any other nations you play.

The AI doesn't do very much in the way of intelligent tactics. A couple defensively-kitted SCs can seriously take an indefinite number of AI 'armies' on forever, and even mediocrely geared thugs tend to be super effective. They also don't use battle magic well.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

User0015 posted:

According to the thread, Dom4 has massive UI/Quality of Life improvements. How does it handle win conditions?

Of course, mods will come out for it as well. I never tried anything except vanilla Dom3 because I'm still new, but it turned me off to the game as a whole and I'm hoping Dom4 fixes that. Combine better win conditions with UI/QoL improvements and I'm interested.

Previous win conditions are still available as choices, but there's a new one, that is now the default/standard: Thrones. They are similar to victory points (need a certain number to win, they spawn in provinces shown to all players), but they have some key differences

- Requires a H3 or higher spellcaster (e.g. your prophet), or a pretender, to 'claim' the throne (a month action taken once - until the throne is claimed by a different faction after they conquer it).
- Thrones give benefits. Some give minor benefits unclaimed (e.g. a gem/turn), they all give benefits that scale to the throne's point worth when claimed; These bonuses include: Recruitable units in that province with decent (2+) access to two or more paths, Massive gem income, Scale changes/benefits, Bonuses for sacred troops while blessed inc. standard bless effects and more obscure stuff like poison resistance or even awe. All thrones seem to spread dominion, though some are better at it than others.

This being the new default should encourage final games where the struggles is focused on taking and holding key thrones, and makes taking the provinces take at least 1 turn longer than VP provinces (because of the required action from a prophet or other H3 or pretender).

It should also be noted that forts can be improved to make sieging more difficult/longer, and give forts various neat bonuses.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

Does anyone have tips for playing T'ien Ch'i in MA? You have some interesting new pretenders, it looks like, and the capital mages have changed. Disease Healer on the Imperial Alchemist means old age is slightly less of a problem, perhaps.

There are a few things you might want to get on a MA TC god, and their attendant strategies.

- High level astral magic. You can't use a skullcap + crystal coin (made with earth boots) on a S3 to climb up to the Rings of Sorcery and Wizardry anymore, and even if you could getting that S3 in the first place is low odds. While you search well for astral a lot of Astral's power requires high levels especially for ritual use. Getting access to the rings gives you a lategame almost by itself because it means suddenly it's easy to get all your other paths (especially Air and Fire and to a lesser extent nature) to high levels for your cap-only mages without empowering. This is much more expensive to do now but if there's any nation at all that justifies getting some astral to do it it is probably TC. You probably want S5-S6 depending, more if your god doesn't have a head slot or two misc slots.

- Death access. With the number of summonable Death Mages from having death at all, you can get a sideline in death that can be helpful for lategame thug equipment, for ritual access, for tarts, etc. etc if you take it on your god.

-Consider ~level 4 in Air, Fire, or other stuff. Getting booster access easily and early without forging/using rings is nice.

- Good scales. You get a high resource cost but really good and versatile army as TC natively.

You probably don't need a supercombatant to expand. If it's a tiny cramped map and a rush game, consider a SC god anyways. Otherwise, rejoice that you have so many types of dudes with long reach weapons who repel stuff a lot now and as a consequence are much more effective. Seriously glaives and pikemen do a lot better in melee now against lower length stuff. You also have some of the best archers in the game, and access to enough Fire for Flame Arrows and Air for Wind Guide - basically turning every Archer with a composite bow from a good unit to an amazing unit.

As an expansion strategy, consider armies with a bunch of Archers, a small group of shielded, heavily protected arrow catchers, and a group of guys with pikes or spears/shields/armor depending on your resources.

Early on, get guys sitesearching by walking around. Early gems can be converted directly into expansion with new summoning spells, some of which are probably overpowered (see: Ogres). Try to get forts and recruit the guys who don't need labs to be bought but give like 11 research.

As a pretender, I would be torn between a dormant rainbow to get into death and astral and air and fire with medium-good scales, a imprisoned immobile with high astral and insane scales, and one of the titans awake with starting astral raised to decently high levels. The Boddhivasta (sp?) looks like it might be a good way to get astral 5-6 and air 4 cheaplu on a SC, which you can boost higher(skullcap/coin) and use to forge the Air Boosters, as well as being a decent SC. I have heard that all the 50 point chasses are temporary costs that will be replaced (read:increased) in the final version, so that advice will probably soon become outdated soon.

Scales: Growth helps prevents old age afflictions so is probably a good idea. Disease is less of a problem but mute etc still suck. Order is very strong, and misfortune seems a small disadvantage at present. Production is very useful. Temperature scales are probably not a necessary source of points but a point can make a huge difference in making maps more/less open with the new 'frozen winter'/'melted mountain pass' mechanic. More than that is probably inadvisable as TC likes to move around huge armies who eat a lot. If the other players are better at raiding etc than you, you may want to choose to get a point or two in whatever scales will make it harder to move around in the map as a whole. Hugely map dependent, but some seem to have a lot of mountain passes and not many rivers to freeze or vice versa. Of course if everyone else is a cold nation or whatever taking heat can be good just to make it more annoying to invade you.

Great Gray Shrike fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 24, 2013

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

I was wondering what the hell was going on with that event when I played a test game and out of five provinces that I expanded to, three of them were invaded.

Quick question - how do you get gelatinous cubes? I saw several Ur armies running around with them, but I can't see any way to get them, nor does Ur appear to have any national spells that would summon them. The AI was also running around with crocodiles in their armies. Is it just intended that Ur spend gems to summon critters to lead with their beast masters, or is there something I'm missing?

Cubes - Enchantment 4, 2W, Vile Water. Costs 8 water gems per cube.
Considering the research cost, and cost per cube, it doesn't seem that great; maybe if you find an enchantment discount site.

Crocs are summonable with conjuration 1.
Not sure about the beastmasters question.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
In a test game playing around with LA Man, I discovered an event basically telling me to send a magister or other mage to a specific province; once there, an event told me basically 'give him some guys and get them to patrol here'. A third event in the series gave me a Daughter of Avalon (N2 sacred mage) after I patrolled (forty guys and an indie commander, and the magister arcane, for three consecutive turns), and also at that time gave me some warnings about dark consequences (but nothing has shown up yet). Has this always been a possible 'thing' that could happen? It seems pretty nice, as otherwise you end up recruiting indie shamans to spend your nature gem income (having no other nature gem guys natively). I looked at a couple of old Dom3 guides for LA Man and they didn't mention the event, so I think it might be new? Regardless, breaking into nature with N2 instead of N1 helps a bit when climbing the "forge boosters" ladder since you don't have to empower from N1 to N2 to forge a Thistle Mace. I will play more of the test game tomorrow and see if any mysterious consequences show up...

In other news, the tax and castle strategy is pretty defunct, but Magisters Arcane for low gold costs with decent research/turn are a good compensation. Take drain and good other scales and laugh. Magisters can do a lot of different communion spells, including Wind Guide and Flaming Arrows for a very bow-heavy nation archery buffs, and some really awesome evocations - thunder strike, gift from heavens, etc. etc. They still are as vulnerable and weak as they were before, but they are significantly more expendable, and you can afford enough of them to make decent communions.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
^Also, it feels like the site distribution is now skewed more to level 1 and 2 sites that can be easily found by manually searching, and less to crazy level 4 sites that require manual searching by a VERY high-end mage or sitesearch spell. The overall effect is to make manual site-searching probably the best option for most nations with only a few exceptions - if you know a specific province has an elevated site chance for example.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Thern posted:

Even though I was never able to get into Dom 3, I just bought this game in attempt to try this again. As the whole concept scratches an itch that no other game has before.

Think I'm going to tool around in single player for a bit this time around, to see if I can get better at starting off. Are Giant nations since considered newbie friendly? And is blessing still a valid strategy in this version? The idea of controlling an army of super powered giants appeals to me greatly.

Giants are still pretty newbie-friendly. However, my favorite suggestions for learning the game fastest are Tien Chi or LA Man or other more 'human' factions. You will have to learn to use regular troops at some point, and learning it early is probably for the best - normal human troops without the badassery of giants are basically what you get out of 90% + of independents so them, and their counters, are probably the most 'core' troop type of the game. That said, giants you still learn stuff by playing as. The easiest to play for newbies nations are of course MA and LA ermor, but you learn basically nothing about how to play any other faction by playing those because they play so differently from other factions and because the AI is nowhere near sophisticated enough to bust out the required counters that human players will throw at those nations so you basically automatically win.

Blessing is still viable as far as we can tell now. Blood bless is a lot more powerful with the new B9 bless effect of damage return (doesn't prevent damage, just reflects damage as it is taken). People are starting a lot of games but only time will see how powerful various strategies still are. Giants in particular are in a strange place with the buffs/nerfs. It used to be fairly common to take something like E9/N6 but now nature doesn't provide percent-based regen until level 9, and provides bonus hp to each unit before that (which is least valuable to giants who already have a ton of HP each). B9's effect would be good but it's basic ability of bonus to strength is not very useful for giants who already 1-hit everything they don't hit a limb on. Also, some giant nations (Niefelheim et al, Hinnom et al) got free design points from temp scales that have since gone away.

On the other hand, Giants with decent protection and morale have benefitted hugely from the formation modification options in dominions 4 vs dominions 3 - a squad of 15 high protection high morale but not sacred or cap-only giants led by an indie commander will totally crush most independent provinces without taking losses now because the line formation makes them so much more effective now than they were before and less likely to be focused down on corners of a formation etc.

A lot of the most effective battlefield counters to giants are high-magic options which take longer to research now than they did before.

Basically, who knows at this point? There are so many changes to everything it's hard to say. But they still crush AIs easily so there's that.

In general, the AI will lose to most strategies that involve any of:
1) A decent mixed arms army that includes multiple types of units and/or synergistic buffing spells
2) Thugs or supercombatants that are decently survivable
3) Any sort of decent battlefield evocation plan
4) Armies made of good summoned magical units

The ai is good at fielding huge armies of mooks, but not much else. Anything that has a plan to deal with huge armies of mooks can win easily.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Is something weird or not obvious going on with dominions 4 random paths for mages?

As MA C'tis, I can recruit marshmasters that have W1D2N2+1WSDN+0.1WSDN.
By my calculations, I should have a 1/160 = 0.625% chance of getting a D4 or N4 per each marshmaster recruited (1/4 chance of D or N, 1/40 chance of getting the corresponding D or N on the second roll).

I have recruited 16 marshmasters, and gotten D4 on 2 of them, and N4 on one of them. You would expect to see that many good randoms after recruiting ~120 marshmasters, not in 16 of them. It just seems really improbable - is something else going on?

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
^If you can put up the Gift of Health (enchantment 5, N5) global you can heal most wounds with it for your dragon - if you can get +1 N on your dragon you should be able to cast it (forge a thistle mace, etc). There are also specialized healer units which I don't think are by default available to LA Man but you could theoretically come up with a magic site allowing recruitment of one of them.

Assuming your stalker assassin is the Eludian stalker, you should probably equip it based heavily on what you want to assassinate - you probably want to put it in an enemy capital and kill a high-end cap-only slow to recruit mage every turn, under ideal circumstances. It depends what that unit will be - if its a high astral but frail and weak human with lowish combat stats, you can probably get away with only giving it some magic resist items. If it's something that could spam Raise Skeleton (D2+), you might want to give it something like a vine shield and a frost/fire brand so it can actually clear that and go kill the mage. Etc. Assassin units are sort of hard to make profitable use of, though.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
There's a Blood spell called Blood Fertility (B2/N2) at research level Blood 4 for 10 slaves + a number of extras to set the duration of the spell. It is supposed to increase 'the fertility of the land'. As far as I can tell from a bit of testing, what this actually means is that it gives you +2 growth scales* in the province it is cast in for a number of turns equal to the number of bonus sacrifices. Multiple instances of Blood Fecundity on a single province don't add to the growth levels. Gift of Nature's Bounty, in spite of it's flavor text, doesn't seem to add any population growth.

*This means you go from 3 death to 1 death, or 1 death to 1 growth, etc.

Not really a worthwhile spell for most people, as I see most blood powers suggest taking growth scales anyways, and it only goes in one province per cast. Still, if you happen to take only growth 1 or worse on a blood/nature nation you might look into casting it in your capital and maybe other high income provinces.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Samog posted:

cross posting this

Link to the actual thread for convenience.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I am playing my first game of EA Xibalba currently. I am really, really impressed with them so far, and it's still fairly early in the game and they seem to only be getting better. Just... ludicrously powerful. They are strong, versatile, and remarkably effective in the early and start of midgame (all I've seen so far - but I'm thinking the lategame will probably go pretty well, looking ahead at the future...)

I have played vanheim and helheim only against AI, and I never had such an easy time as I am having with Xibalba. Vanheim and Helheim might be stronger theoretically in sufficiently skilled hands, but in my personal hands Xibalba are way, way stronger.

That said, I am still relatively inexperienced in multiplayer, so I might be missing something.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Nuclearmonkee put up a video about expanding with Ragha (or any elephant nation) called The Elephant Whisperer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s47o6GJ9WU

I can testify that it does indeed work out pretty good - productivity 3 ragha can expand really really well, very easily with elephants. And your units are good enough that productivity scales justify themselves.

In terms of what you want to do with Ragha - your most important choice is basically H3, H1, C1, C3. If you take a single point of temperature drift from neutral, you can build 1 type of temp-requirement unit year-round and the other once a year (during midsummer or midwinter), and almost never get stuck having to build a crap non-temp-dependent unit when you don't want to. If you take more than the single temperature scale, you can't get the opposite temperature stuff *ever* without having forts outside your dominion or using spells to adjust temperature manually or whatever, but you get more points to spend. If you go neutral there are big parts of the year where you can't recruit really good units and then you are sad.

Cold gets you hordes of A3 fliers who can cast thunderstrike out of the box and with a little effort can gear to turn-1 fog warriors or storm or whatever. They all fly, they all cloud trapeze, and overall have great strategic mobility. Cold's sacreds are sort of crap, at least for the cost, and I never found use for them.

Heat gets you hordes of F3 evokers who are capable of all the traditional fire battlemagic (and you field very fire-resistant guys to synergize with them). You also get turn 1 flaming arrows to go with your flying composite bowmen archers (!) and a neat Blood suite that you can probably parlay into armies of devils or something, and some death as well. Heat's sacreds are really expensive but very very strong fliers, but still cost way more than e.g. the number of elephants that expand as well, so are more of a midgame thing.

You can field a bunch of both with either heat or cold 1, but if you go beyond that you drop versatility a lot and you stop being able to do everything.

Finally, ragha's troops are all either really strong fire-resistant badasses or really crappy chaff that is supremely mobile (flying 3). It's really a quite effective army. Their guys on horses are pretty cool but overpriced for what you get.

Ragha needs a lot of gold and should take really good scales. You don't need a god to do anything so their god is tempted to be asleep or imprisoned for more scales. As far as blesses go, you don't really need to take a bless at all for expansion, and your sacreds are nothing to write home about early on - I honestly wouldn't worry about a bless. Good things to have on a god:

- High Astral (forging, and with S7-9 tanking up Magic Duels that otherwise eat your A3 guys)
- A4+ (you don't get A4 on anyone and need it to forge boosters; you can empower a guy but that's like 60 gems).
- Earth (you don't get earth magic natively, and a few hammers and communion matrices can go a long way, even if you do have to sitesearch with your god to start the earth income).

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I agree with most sentiment urging you to invest mostly in the more expensive mages.

Zaotar and Dastur are too expensive for what you get, are not useful in battle and are questionable in doing most everything. They can wear the crown of the Shah and claim thrones, that's about it - and you need precisely one of them for that job. I recommend the flying one (ideally a flying one with A2 for cloud trapeze).

The F1 mages, particularly the flying ones, can do a couple things that are useful though- particularly the Athravan. Mostly, the Athravan:

- Research more efficiently for gold cost over time (in the LONG run, not the short run). Mostly, you pay a bit less than half as much upfront and get about half as much research per turn, and recruit every turn instead of every 2 turns, which seems like it comes out a wash... but they're sacred. It's a way of saving money in the long run, by reducing upkeep costs of your mage corps in exchange for them being drastically less useful in battle, as forgers, as sitesearchers, etc. In the early stages you'd probably rather have an extra thunderstrike caster on hand than saving a small amount of gold.
- Fly around building labs and maybe temples if necessary to get e.g. lizard shamen
- Forge and/or hold Lightless Lanterns for research.
- Last resort defenses fireball machines (give a fire gem, order Phoenix Power -> Fireball x4).

If you have a bunch of magic scales, you might want to build the F1 guys a fair bit early game for research purposes (because they become more of a better deal). However, as Ragha, you are going to want O3G3P3 and probably only C1 or H1, so your pool of points for scales is pretty limited, and you are probably going to take misfortune 2 and/or drain 1 to actually make up the points. It's unlikely you'll find points to spend on magic scales.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I am pretty sure the 50% missile loss applies to all projectiles but maybe not thunder bows.

Thunder bows respond to high strength scores, while lightning bolts don't care about strength; at 12 strength your guys are probably better off with the bolts, which do more damage and also fatigue/stun damage on the side, but if you have some Strength of Giants / Rush of Strength / Blood Bless / Throne of Zeal+Might / or whatever going on this could change. However, even with all that lightning bolts don't cost 10 gems to make. If you get to Orb Lightning, it's more damage and effect than normal lightning, but has important range constraints, so whether to use it depends if you're worried about enemy evocations wrecking the guys just behind your frontline.

As far as the other two items go, I think you'd honestly be better off with just giving them to a regular infantry commander for 40 gold that can be recruited without a fort-turn. You lose a couple precision in storms, and their strength scores aren't as good for lightning bows, but they're totally fine for carrying arbalests or bows of war and other items like that around, and cost hugely less. You can (and should) still just use Wind Guide for precision boosts, not casting Aim.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
It used to be possible to register your Desura purchase on Steam and get your Dom4 downloads + patches on Steam - it's what I did, I bought Dominions 4 on Desura initially but haven't really interacted with Desura other than to use the Dominions 4 forum ever since.

The instructions on Desura for doing so were the following:

Google's cache of a Desura thread posted:

Here are instructions on how to activate your Illwinter Desura keys on Steam.

Go to your Desura Collection
Check the keys for your Illwinter games (Dominions 3, Dominions 4, Conquest of Elysium 3)
Write them down
Open Steam (download, install, register an account etc if you don't already have it)
Open the Games menu (from the very top, in tiny print, not the large print)
Select the Activate Product on Steam option
Enter your Illwinter keys and activate
Done

For Illwinter games that are not on Steam (Dominions - Priests, Prophets & Pretenders and Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars), download the standalone installers for those and write down your serial keys, then make sure you have as many copies as you need backed up so you don't lose them.If you have any questions NOT related to Steam activation, please post them in the Desura Shutting Down? thread.

If Desura is really, truly, finally dead, I would personally try the key in the file 'dom4key' file in your present Dom4 install.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
They patched to 4.24. It's mostly just fixing mod-related stuff, which is very welcome.

http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/history.html posted:

Version 4.24
This is a small bug fix update that mainly fixes a few annoying bugs with modded game that were introduced in version 4.23.

General
Event fix
Fix for caster only losing a limb when he should die instead
Fixed bug preventing mod .trn files from being found
Remove keyfiles on fail.

Modding
Fix for reading 64-bit values on windows
Game crashed when running a game after running a modded game

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I thought Golems, by virtue of being mindless, were immune to magic duel?

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
The Ys sacreds cost huge amounts (120 gold 53 r) but they are amphibious glamour sacred knights with great stats and when on land get a fiery breath 6 AP attack to go with their magic gold lances.

Ys has no national spells as far as I can tell.

Their build-anywhere mages are both 165 gold, the UW one is W1E1H1 +1WESN and the land one us E1S1H1+1WESN.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I was having everything desert from lack of money - I had a series of bad events killing off a bunch of people and raising unrest in my couple remaining provinces - and as well roughly half of my remaining mage corps was slowly dying of disease (mostly because of my own Jaundice Demon hero, as far as I can tell). I stalled off being completely crushed by people's half-hearted attacks like six times, but was getting basically nowhere.

Basically any of like 4 people around me could have killed me at any time in the last dozen turns if they actually bothered to send an army to do it, but no-one seemed to be willing to put in that minimal effort.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Mukip posted:

I didn't realize when I signed up to MoMagicMoProblems what a slog it is inevitably going to become. It's turn 15 and some people already have fortresses seemingly everywhere (looking at you, C'Tis). I've love to hear some advice from previous forever war veterans on how you are supposed to play this.

C'tis here - they're all palisades, which is why I can get so many of them up. 600 gold is not exactly a huge investment in this sort of game, especially with good scales. Micro is actually starting to level off a bit for me as I finish my current wave of lab+fort construction, thankfully - the worst hassle has been finding all the places I am building forts that are 2 turns to completion and sending mages there to build labs.

I am expecting some amazingly epic battles and wars this game, with the sort of scale we're all operating at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Horde of Skeletons is a good spell for arena fights.

• Locked thread