Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
Anyone know what those dark red 0s and 1s you sometimes see during battle replays symbolize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
I can't recall if this was the case in dom3 as well, but I have noticed the battle ai will now override scripts to cast Breath of Winter if there are friendly (not cold resistant) units within the chill aura range

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently there's a new patch. F9/D9 blesses have been changed so that they work on missile weapons, including magic weapons. Are there any sacred troops other than LA Tien'Chi ancestor vessels that have ranged weaponry? Also flaming arrows is now apparently automatic and works on all non-magic missile weaponry, so flaming sticks and stones from monkey nations could be amazing.

I guess you could always give your Mictlan priest a Bow of War?

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I love this game but am terrible at this game. I'm slowly getting better at it but my problem is that eventually I get over run by doom stacks where the enemy AI is rocking 300-500 guys and my own smaller troops drop from fatigue before they can finish it.

I enjoy playing as Ulm and Man so am I just screwing myself via faction picks?

Most likely you're not bringing enough mages to the battle field

The recruit everywhere Master Smiths of MA Ulm for example, will tear massive holes in AI armies if massed and set to spam Magma Eruption and similar evocations

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
Fomoria is probably my favourite Dom3 nation, haven't had the opportunity to play them in Dom4 yet.
I think it's the opportunity to deal instant terrible death that appeals to me

And barghest are fantastic units period. Just avoid long drawn out slugging matches

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

TheresNoThyme posted:

Two endgame questions for the more experienced players here:

1. For master enslave communions, I'm planning a communion master under the effect of power of the spheres + light of the north star with the following items: rune smasher, green eye, ring of sorcery (for +1 penetration and +1 astral) and starshine cap. I could throw in a robe of the magi for an additional +1 astral but he's currently sitting at even astral power after all the boosts, so if I understand correctly one more level won't improve his penetration.

Is there anything I'm missing to buff this guy's chances? I assumed that rune smasher penetration doesn't stack if you dual wield them.

Second question: is there a reliable off-script spell for dealing with SC's who you just can't get to before 5 turns? If I load up an E mage with E gems, does the AI like casting petrify or am I just gonna get 30 earth elementals? One thing I've noticed is that the AI seems to love spamming enslave mind, but that requires a lot of kitting up to be viable against high MR SC's.

Bring a crystal shield so that he doesn't have to waste a combat turn casting power of the spheres, and replace the WoS with a crystal matrix so that he doesn't have to waste a combat turn casting communion master (assuming he has a high unit id). Unless he's already equipped with the Green Eye, I'd replace it with the Eye of the Void

the boost to penetration and Astral you get from RoS is outweighed by the +4 to MR all your opponent's units will get when he casts Antimagic, so getting your master enslave off on turn 1 is important

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's actually base fatigue / (mage path level - required path level + 1)

So 100% for meeting the requirement, 50% for +1, 33% +2 etc

also in a communion, the fatigue taken by the slaves are modified by their path relative to the master

slave level = master level: no modification
slave level > master level: fatigue / 2
slave level < master level / 2: fatigue * 4
slave level < master level: fatigue * 2

so if the master keep casting spells from paths the slaves don't have, they'll fatigue much faster

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

scalded schlong posted:

Hey, the Agartha bonus HP for constructs looks like it stacks with Gift of Health!

I've got a N9 bless, too :q:

Next on your to-do list:

Prophetize the Kin-Breaker

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

amuayse posted:

Try not to attack lizard (curse), amazon (evo magic and skelespam), dark vine, heavy cav, or tier 2/3 thrones with a solo pretender without any magic. Barbarian provinces are give or take.

longdead horsemen can also be unpleasant

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
A single IF check is not enough because the algorithm also has to check if the scripted spell has any valid targets (no point in casting control undead if there are no undead present, or bless if someone already cast divine blessing)

I think this was a bug only introduced in 4.10 when I believe they modified how the spell scoring worked.

Or at least from what I can remember from earlier forays into the log file, spell scores used to be in the 1000s at most.

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
Did any of the slaves get wounded during the battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Isn't awe THE thing to have for SCs?

The key thing to have for SCs is something to prevent them from getting hit a lot.

Awe is the default option for SC pretenders as it's achievable for every chassis by just raising Dom high enough, but really high protection or fear also works.

Attempting to expand blindly on turn 1 with your Awe SC pretender and running into longdead horsemen can be ... unfun

Fornadan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 26, 2015

• Locked thread