Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Posting to confirm identity, signed up on the GGS. Looking forward to the next chance to get obliterated.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vendoviper/games/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

ClothHat posted:

I'd like to add that the amount of time this game takes up is not extreme either. While you do need to be free enough to play daily, it's only something like a 5-15 minute commitment unless it's extreme late game or you're in a ton of games at once. You really don't need to spend hours scripting or on IRC to play. I would highly recommend this to anyone on the fence, while winning is extremely difficult, even small victories are extremely satisfying in this game.

Something that I have found now that I am finally transitioning from my noob "I have no idea what I am doing" phase, and into a more "I actually did that on purpose phase," is that you actually do need to spend 30m scripting on your big magic heavy armies. The thing is, that you only really have to do it once, unless you take massive losses or unlock a new spell which invalidates everything you set up.

After losing my army that I had spent 30m scripting and re-building it, it took only a few minutes, because there was no decision making left, I just had to re-craft everything.

At first I was super worried about going into multiplayer games since I didn't feel like I was coming into the games with a coherent strategy that stretched from turn 1 to my eventual conquest of the world. But no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, and I have found that I have a much easier time of making informed decisions when they are in the context of "how do I best counter what he is using against me."

Dominions is a game of hugely numbered and varied approaches, and it is nigh impossible to make useful decisions about their interactions until you have experienced them. That being said, after joining a game but before it starts, you should absolutely load that nation up in single player and make sure that you have your early game expansion down against the indys. Also that your expansion plan gets you to your second fort before turn 16.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Is there any way to undo The Curse Of The Frog Prince? Is there a princess somewhere who can plant a kiss on this useless amphibian and bring back my national hero thug?

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Tagichatn posted:

What's a good research path for ea Tien Chi? Flaming arrows looks good with all my archers but the default mages look like they don't have enough fire to cast it.

Looks like your Celestial Masters, and Masters of the Five Elements are both at best F2. If you have F4 on your pretender you can forge Flame Helmets for them, and then get them to F3, then it should only cost you 2 fire gems per battle to cast Flaming Arrows. At F3 I think a mage can eat up to 3 gems, one for the under level, and one for the spell cost, where-as at F2 you would hit your limit of 2 gems just for getting to effective rank 4. At least that is how I think that stuff works.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Oh yeah, summon phoenix power, Conjuration, forgot about that.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
The best thing I ever did was learn the attack scripting hot keys for giving orders to troops, hover over their orders and press 'h' for "hold and attack" and then press 'c' for "closest". That and "control groups" for commander orders, ctrl+1 to save (hold) (hold) (hold) (hold) (hold) stay behind troops.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

violent sex idiot posted:

the key to see what your saved scripts is is ctrl s

<tim and eric mind blown.gif> That is amazing! So far my tactic has been press numbers one through nine until I find the one I am looking for.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
What the hell is this? I thought normal army movement happened simultaneously and that you couldn't catch someone by chasing them.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
So I was on a fort, gave a move order to a province I controlled. Other player, who owned the fort in the province I started from sent some birds to take the province I was moving to from the 1 PD. So my best guess is that instead of beating all the birds to death, my guys decided that they should stick around to get pimp slapped by a god instead.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

violent sex idiot posted:

if the birds you are talking about were black hawks then the birds came from the spell call of the winds . battles caused by spells resolve before regular movement, so your order changed from being a friendly move to being a offensive move, or if the province was not directly adjacent to you it became and illegal move, so it didnt resolve. You got owned.

Great theory, unfortunately

There is no reason that shouldn't have been a legal move.

No matter why it happened, I think we can all agree I got crowned.

VendoViper fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 25, 2017

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Senor Dog posted:

Oh drat, I was wondering why you actually stayed on the fort. I thought I was being sneaky by cutting your retreat, but I didn't realize how sneaky I was actually being!

e:

Now I'm confused. Are you sure you weren't trying to retreat 2 provs away VendoViper?

It is entirely possible, I don't really remember. But the plan was to draw you into my territory so I intended to move one province. But we all know this UI, it is possible I screwed it up, that would make a lot more sense.

I think it is safe to say we all learned something useful here today.

VendoViper fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 25, 2017

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I mean most Dominions games are a 10-12 way free for all. If you don't think that Losing is Fun, maybe don't sign up, because most players will lose most of the time. The way I see it, at my skill level, not dying first is a win, and knocking out one other player is winning big.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I know I for one can't wait to start using this to generate maps for my test games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
NoSnek

I am very pleasantly surprised to see myself come in a very respectable third place on those score graphs, as MA Shinuyama no less. I have been making it a point to only pick nations I have never played before whenever I sign up for a game. I have played a lot of single player Dominions, but I traditionally found myself always playing the same nations. It has been very good for my game to stretch out and experience other strategies. Looking at what Shinuyama had going for it, it was clear that the name of the game was summons.

I looked through each of the national summons, and most of them are garbage. In my initial research and testing, I decided that flying sacred lightning throwing bird people sounded pretty cool, and Shinuyama has access to a couple different flavors.

Karasu Tengu
These guys are the earliest bird people you can get access to coming at conjuration 2. The only problem is perversely they require paths you don't have access to without summoning. Looking around for how to get ahold of N1A1 I ended up making out like a god drat bandit, expanding into 3 separate Deer Tribe provinces. While Deer Tribe Shaman only have a 10% chance of getting the A1 path, when you are building three a turn you are bound to get a couple. By the end of the game I had 5 Karasu Tengu summoning shaman, and I had them spawning 3 bird samurai a turn.

These guys did some really great work for me, but they die a lot. I think they might have been better off with more of a blessing to help their survivability (water or earth), but they still ended up being a great way to dump nature gems. At least until I started putting out a Bane Lord with Frostbrand and VineShield every turn.

Dai Tengu
These were the bird people I was really after, a good Air mage who can fly and lead my bird samurai around and cast storm for them. Unfortunately the Pankreator giveth, and the Pankreator taketh away. While I was blessed with a superabundance of Deer Tribe, I didn't find a single air site in my territory the entire game. I only ever got to summon one of these guys. He managed to do some work, but I didn't get storm researched in time before he died due to poor scripting on my part. I decided to alchemize my gems to get Well of Misery up, and shift into Dai Oni before ever thinking about getting 55 air gems together again.

He also comes with some friends:

Kohona Tengu
These guys are a little worse than the Karasu Tengu, I guess their pants slow them down. But they come with air gems, and are obviously what your Dai Tengu should be summoning, since unlike the Karasu Tengu they scale with Air paths. Not that A1E1 are paths you can get without summons either.

And

Tengu Warriors
Armored Tengu, I sure wish I could summon these guys on their own, but they are nice while they last.

Since I am writing this at work, I don't actually have a picture of my god, but Rainbow Bakemono Roll was an asleep Celestial General with A4S4E2N2, I took Luck, Heat and Order. The idea was for him to come online after my initial expansion and site search up the huge amounts of gems I would need for my summons. I waffled around with other pretenders, but ended up deciding that the Astral paths were key. I ended up doing so much alchemizing, having the high pearl income ended up being super useful. I did however manage to get him killed shortly after he woke up attacking a throne, he got petrified and murdered during an HP route. I brought him back to life eventually but with only H1 priests it took a while.

Since I didn't want to put all my (bird samurai) eggs in one basket, and since I sure wouldn't have a summoning engine online for early game expansion, I had to figure out which of my national units were least bad.

Dai Bakemono
I ended up maxing out my resources in every fort almost every turn for the first three years of the game building these guys. Just huge piles of 21 HP Prot 17 Str 16 guys with two handed swords. They are very expensive, but by and large they just don't die after you have a critical mass of them. I found I was able to clear indys pretty reliably once I had about 9, and once you had a stack of 20 you typically didn't take losses either.

To help my Dai Bakemono scale up and survive in later battles I was chasing them around with these guys.

Bakemono Sorcerer
Very expensive and Slow To Recruit, but they are recruit anywhere. On turns where RNG (and Luck 3) gave me piles and piles of gold to burn, I would kick these off in as many forts as possible. About half of them come with earth 3, and for the ones who don't it is easy to give them boots. I would have them do the typical Strength of Giants/Legions of Steel just to have my Dai Bakemono win more. These guys were also critical for my death magic, since I didn't take any on my pretender. I got real lucky and had one roll a natural D4 in year two, once he had a skull staff and skull hat we were ready to go.

While I ended up not being very influential in the end of the game, I had a short war with Agartha, where I got absolutely destroyed by their god and excellent scripting, but then Eriu got involved, and ended up taking Agartha's provinces which were on my border, pretty much ending that conflict. Next I ended up attacking Bandar Log, he put up a good fight, but unfortunately for him, I had a huge pile of useless water gems that I had turned into demons at the front of my army. And those useless bastards soaked up most of his F9 falling fires. If those had been landing on my good troops I would have been screwed. Also I was lucky to have my border be only two provinces away from his cap, so I was able to make a bee line for it.

I also regret not paying more attention to other players turns. Ashdod was one of my neighbors, and it took me almost two turns to notice that he had been set to AI, so I lost some key choke points to Mictalin. Who also went AI without me noticing for several turns.

Oh and I found the Labyrinth magic site which let me recruit minotaurs, I used about 20 of them and a plain jane commander to take most of AI Mictalins territory. Also Dai Bakemono's high strength and massed Tengu's flying really make sieges go quick.

• Locked thread