Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Quick question: What level of magic and technology is required to be able to make those mechanical arms I've heard so much about? Since my white Minotaur commander managed to lose his arm in a battle, and I don't want the #1 living combatant in the game to have an impairment such as this; especially not when there are so many battles going on that he could tip the scales in. :ohdear:

Also, I've got another question, now that I think about it - what's a good general-purpose army composition for Pangaea? Since at the moment I'm using a core of Satyr warriors (double line, attack closest) with Cantaurites (or whatever they're called) lined up behind targeting large monsters or cavalry, and a flanking force of Minotaurs (double line, hold+attack rearmost) and the commander up at the far/top end of the formation. However, I feel that they could be more effective against some of my enemies, but aren't. (I'm versing Ermor, Helheim, Odo, and POSSIBLY another)

Thanks

It's a "copper arm", you need Construction 6 and a E3F1 dude to build it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Is scripting buggy or something? I have a fire jar but my mage absolutely refuses to cast Flaming Arrows, even though when it's the only spell in his script. Range shouldn't be a factor since it's a battlefield-wide spell.

For that matter, is there a general guide for scripting battle commands out there? Everyone says it's important but there's like zero information on it.

Scripting is buggy, but can you give us more information about your problem? I haven't had any problems with F4 (or F3 + fire power) dudes casting Flaming Arrows with a fire in a jar.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Hey, if you missed out on the other newbie game and are sad about that, you can join the new one I made. Details are in the PGS thread.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Keep your priests away from your other guys!

Mictlan priests fuckin' love charging into battle for no reason.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Thoughts on a single point of Air on Dragons in return for two bad scales in LA?

I'm increasingly liking it in single-player testing. Keeps you extremely safe from crossbowmen firing into melee, which are pretty much the only problem an SC pretender has early on.

Don't you need like 2 or 3 points because dragons have reduced magic in stuff that isn't their element?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

Bit of a rush, I'm looking to get into the multiplayer now as well. Single player was a blast but I'm ready to move on up now. Did have just have an amazing battle breaking into an EA R'lyeh castle to be greeted by well over a thousand polyp spawns at the gates that my giants (slowly) hacked through. Even on turbo the battle took about 5 minutes.

You're in luck, because there is a noob game open :siren:right now!:siren:

noobs 'r' us is open to all noobs. Note: I don't have the real port information from Tenjou yet so don't try to upload your pretender yet.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Paging Engineerharry, please take your turns in noobs 'r' us. And, also, check the PGS thread or IRC so you know when games start.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Stevefin posted:

Sadly twitch video system hates me and takes half a day to view one video.

I have been trying to build more scouts but I keep forgetting where I place them, and such never touched again.

As for nations. I seem to be doing rather well as the Agartha Golem Cult in the middle ages

You can hit 'j' to cycle through units without orders for the turn, which should help with your scouts.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

TheresNoThyme posted:

Movement question for people who know this stuff way better than me:

Let's say my enemy has an army defending province A, and he's moving a 2nd army into it this turn (defensive movement). If I cloud trapeze/teleport an SC into province A, and he wins the ensuing battle, will my opponent's 2nd army still continue their movement order and attack province A? Or will their movement order just get cancelled?

Your SC will fight only the army that's already in A, and after that's resolved, your opponent's 2nd army will move to the province and fight your SC in a second battle.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Holy poo poo, you can do that with battlefield enchantments? I might have to give Grip of Winter another try...

I'm pretty sure earthquake isn't a battlefield enchantment, just a battlefield-wide AoE.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Attention all. AXE_COP is a NAP-breaking fucker. Don't make deals with AXE_COP. He just invaded me, like, 6 turns into a 12 turn NAP. And despite the NAP-breaking surprise attack, I probably would have killed his pretender if my own pretender didn't autocast the dumbest possible spell and route my own army.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

How are u posted:

Sounds like you didn't word your NAP correctly.

It was worded "Let's have a 12 turn NAP" to which AXE_COP said "sure"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
If you're going to be making a shitload of ice crafters, take 3 magic. 45 gold for 10 RP is insanely efficient. Also, ice crafters are recruit-anywhere as well as your High Seraphs.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Most of the time, the dangerous parts of the dark vine provinces are the dudes spamming blood magic.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's been like 50 or 75% off before. Now's a silly time to come out of lurkdom.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Good thing literally everyone wins by throne victories now.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I just want to say that the 'inclusive search' button owns.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Solar Brilliance is a Darkness counter.

I mean, I guess it doesn't matter if the battlefield is dark if your eyes burned out.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Just put it on an undead or lifeless unit, whichever one doesn't have any melee encumbrance.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I think it might only be 2x if there's a temple, and it's 1x otherwise?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Nature bless actually helps that more, since every point of regen is effectively 10 points of reinvigoration once the slaves hit 200 fatigue

Yeah, but an E minor is a lot cheaper than an N major.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

Can you expand a bit on that? How's treeman different to the monolith or oracle? Is it simply the benefits of cheap high-level nature access?

It's the combination of starting with 3 Nature, 4 domscore, and having a reasonable pathcost for extra magic. The fountains also both start with 3 in a path and 4 starting domscore and even have cheaper pathcosts, but in most cases nature is a better bless than astral or blood.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Torrannor posted:

No, nothing done after the game start affects your bless. Even if your pretender loses all his magic paths through dying and being revived constantly, your bless remains the same.

Except claiming thrones.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I always imagined that given the industrial amounts of virgin sacrifices in Dominions, the virgins were from both sexes.

You can see blood slaves in battle though. They're all chicks.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

amuayse posted:

Modpud, you could've just posted in the bug thread and said that Amazons and Vestals having less hp/strength than a militia is weird.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a bug. Whoops my finger slipped and I systematically gave female units less strength and hp. Add it to the tracker.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

folytopo posted:

I like to play disciple games more than is healthy and have been trying to get drafting formula right. I think I am the admin in TheresNoThyme's game. I have tried snake drafting before but with 5 or more teams snake drafting gets a little dicier. The current game is 5 teams of 2. The current setup for the draft is that each nation nation submits 3 picks for the first nation then rolls off in the case of conflicts. The cycle is repeated on more time for the second nation. This is my first draft with this system. Does Something Awful have a good method for drafting?

Honestly I think snake draft is probably the best. What's 'dicier' about it?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

The Gentleman posted:

Hey didn't they add in sound modding back with the Ragha/Caelum patch, wasn't that a thing? We should make a non-horrible sound effect mod.

This exists already.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Make Marignon autospawn flagellants.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Dear Caelum players,

Please stop sending your super expensive StR guys against me without sufficient army support. I'm not sure why it's happening with multiple players in multiple games but seriously it's embarrassing for you all.

Hey man, when I get all my mages killed I get an army killed with them.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Luck and growth are both pretty good. Better than production for almost everyone. Spend your money on more forts and labs and mages instead of troops.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

The Gentleman posted:

Scelaria, the graveyard of Empires

C'tis, garbage disposal of High Seraphs

Edit:

GenericOverusedName posted:

While Scleria and Asphodel duke it out, plucky little C'tis is chugging along with a cap population of less than 8000 now.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Is that a... bipedal human-elephant hybrid?

Pretty sure it's just a frog-dude.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Place your hydras in the dumpster where they belong

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

TheresNoThyme posted:

Since you're not on irc, did you post anywhere how long you're gonna be out? I see gaysonly is on 260 hours, hopefully not 10 days...

I'll be back this Thursday for sure and Wednesday maybe.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Libluini posted:

At least I guess I can go and punch some Zotz. Zotzs. Zotzes?

Good luck, fucker!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Make all the sites have really awful negative effects like events that tear down forts in the province or something so that you can't just plop them down in your capital.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
'Any underwater', and 'don't'.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Most of the hand-made maps have like, entire regions of swamps or desert which look pretty but are awful for actually playing. And most of them don't wrap either which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Libluini posted:

If that pretender is finished and ready to go, yes. But I think it's bad design to give you a pretender chassis who already starts as a one-trick pony and gives you no choice about what kind of one-trick pony you want. Never having a bless at all just closes off all possible bless strategies right then and there.

It makes for some boring and predictable pretender choices.

Human pretenders are currently zero-trick ponies so give them any niche at all would be nice.

• Locked thread