Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The Ur playtest had different recruits for fort/nonfort provinces and also swamp-only recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Reincarnation not firing in battle explains why I've only ever seen it happen once... If they chaned that it would be pretty neag to havd a bunch of white ones come back as gurus after a battle. Might be OP ic the chance is too high, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Decrepus posted:

What do they come back as? The way it is worded I assumed they had a chance to become a temple-check.

I had a few 1s mages come back as 2s1n mages after being cut off in a retreat. This was back in dom 3, mind you.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If yo do include Pikes with your other infantry, do they automatically distribute themselves throughout the line, or do they clump up in the order they were recruited? The former seems more useful, but the latter seems more in keeping with the spirit of Dominions in rewarding micromanagement.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

What's the general strategy for underwater fort placement? Should I build along the coast near other nation's caps or isolated in deep water comfortably surrounded by friendly provinces? For reference, I'm middle age Atlantis, without any serious aquatic competition.

Don't put them next to Arco's cap, or his domspread will screw up your stuff. Everywhere else is probably fine.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
And if someone does attack you, fight bitterly to the death. Expend all your resources trying to harm your attackers. If you can hurt them enough, perhaps someone else will be able tp destroy them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

Edit: What are these fort upgrade doohickeys I don't even :negative:

Waiting while sieging down forts has always been the most exciting part of dominions, so the fort addons are there to make that part of the game more interactive and exciting!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Agartha is sieging Pelagia's capitol, maybe that makes the sites spawn there? Since he sort of ”owns” the province.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If you were going to burn a stack of nature gems on some summons, which would get you the most bang for your gem?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, I remember someone mentioning that provinces no longer give gold/gem income to you if they aren't connected to a fort by a chain of other provinces; is that accurate, or am I having some sort of false memory?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

Yes it is. It is mostly relevant in the early game, when you have only one fort, because it means if an enemy besieges your cap you get no income whatsoever and only your cap gem income, meaning you can have quite a few provinces left but no income or hope of survival.

Ok, cool. I cut some guy's capitol off from the rest f his empire, so even though I lost the battle in front of his gates, knowing that he won't get any income from the hinterlands warms the cockles of my heart and takes away the sting of the defeat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Are some pretender chassis unavailable to use as disciples/masters?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Yeah man having one spare army in your heartlands is totally vexing when you've got +10% income overall the entire game when using those 80 points in Mis-2 for O2 (or more likely O3 and not doing another thing).

That's kind of a false dichotomy, though, considering that o3 is essentially mandatory, so you're going to have it regardless. Those 80 extra design points are probably for something else, maybe a point of magic or balanced temp scales or something. If faced with a choice dropping 80 points in order to get o3, I'd probably go drain-1 and cold-1 before going into misfortune.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Anyone know what determines the chance for a spy to infiltrate a capitol is? Haven't had much luck in SP and don't want to risk an international incident in MP. Was thinking that if it were simply a stealth check, one of those stealth boosting items might help.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

Okay thanks, Abysia is obviously very resource intensive so I kind of figured they weren't a good fit for that strategy. It is really tempting to try and supercharge my blood economy with early double lock production though.

Warlocks are cap only, though, so most you can do is start charging up research with your anathemants. HAving more fire evokers earlier isn't the worst strategy, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Decrepus posted:

In this game every single one of your commanders is looking to betray you on the battlefield at their own peril.

Gotta defer to the man on the ground sometimes. If he think it's necessary to dump 20 gems and mass enslave on a scout and a couple PD, well, you gotta trust him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Brands are for clearing chaff and pd. If you're hunting ponymans, try a flesh eater axe or something that hits one person really hard. Or multiple attacks. Those are good for whittling down defense. Two bane lords with half the gear. But I can't imagine that it's easy to catch a ponyman with a thug like that, since they are stealthy and can trapeze around.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Microcline posted:

Multiple layers of defense, often targeted to whatever you're going against. Things like Prot, Def, HP + regeneration, Ethereal, Invulnerable, Heat/Cold auras, and making sure you can deal with being surrounded (i.e. you don't rely too much on defense and you have some way of handling fatigue). MR is important because it allows your opponent to easily circumvent all of your other defenses with nasty save-or-die/save-or-suck wizard bullshit.

Lilli used to have a guide up to thugs/SCs, but it seems to have gone down with the Dom3 wiki.

It's still there. The major changes are that resistance no longer is a percentage, so it is difficult to be immune to the nastier magics, and luck has been completely reworked. Probably some others, but in general the advice is still as good as it always was. There was another guide, I think, but the gist of that one was basically to try and get your thugs down to as cheap as possible and don't cry when they die horribly (because they will eventually.)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
How does allied combat work in a disciples game? Will me and my buddy defend against the enemy horde together or sequentially? Hell, can we even share the same province?
In a related note, can we use each other's labs?

Don't have access to the manual at the momenf, so if the answers are in there, I apologize.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

You can defend the same province, but you will defend sequentially. You cannot see or use each others labs.

Nuts. Was hoping my ally could use my discount site.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

You could cede it back and forth as necessary? Just can't use it both at the same time, obviously, but if one of you has better paths/research for using it on a given turn, you can work something out. Unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, for big ticket summons we could do that. But will forts also switch possession? Naturally I forted it up to protect the mages and the site.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

Unless you're one of the factions that gets affliction healers in which case mind hunt to your hearts content.

You should probably have better things to do with your pretender.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

Speaking of rebirth does anyone have even the faintest idea how White One Reincarnation works? I've seen plenty of white ones of all kinds; warriors, tiger riders, gurus etc die and I cannot recall seeing anything reincarnationy happening.

My understanding is that they have to die from non-battle related causes, since violence is a stain on the soul that prevents moving to a higher existence. Or it's hard-coded that way, I don't know. Dying from BoT, assassin spells, or during retreats may trigger the events.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
This message goes out to, well, you know who you are:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

What happened?

An underwater nation wished for population, transporting everyone in my province to one of his. Since I neglected to provide them with water breathing gear...

I think this water nation's plan is to cast wish until everyone in the world is dead, so he can walk up on the land uncontested.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LordLeckie posted:

Congrats to Flavah for winning the bizarre game of flute with one of the strangest maps ive ever played on.

A wraparound map where due to weird placement it was actually cut in 2 pieces making movement impossible without sailing.

Thanks for showing the picture of my empire at it's high point. It was all downhill from there. Under a tide of spiders and fire arrows and oh god more spiders. A dead world would have been sweet release at that point. How many armageddons does it take to wipe out the population?

Oh yeah, and those guys who all drowned? They were guarding one of the two point thrones that I had. Another map where a lot the two point thrones were clustered around me (Ok, technically around Shin), this time I wasn't able to stealth grab the last two I needed for victory before it all went to spider-poo poo.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

No Phoenix Pyre (LA Man has really bad odds for fire access), just standard 200-fatigue overcasting deaths that I imagine a bit more dramatically than they actually are.

I'm sure it was pretty dramatic... mages passing out from the mystical overload, lying on the ground, twitching. The masters push on, draining more energy from the void and the unconscious slaves. Slowly, eyes start boiling away, brains melting out of ears, finally, as the last few blade winds are hurled at the fleeing enemy, heads start popping like popcorn... skull fragments and pink goo all over the place. It's just that the graphic engine doesn't really do it justice.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jBrereton posted:

With the classic lizardman bodyguard for your Daimyo, too.

(also where are all your mages, what the christ)

Magic? What is this western deviltry? A samurai only needs his sharp steel, his Ashigaru blockers, and a few birdmen for moral support.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shachar posted:

As EA Pangea, is Turmoil worthwhile for the freespawns? If so, does it make more sense to max Turmoil to 3, or take less of it to get some freespawns while also having cash for heavy lifting troops to complement them?

The freespawn is terrible. Revelers are awesome. And the white centaurs can carry you for half the game with a simple w9 or n9 bless. If you really want to rush someone, an awake w9 dragon and those white centaurs will do the trick; unfortunately, the LP where Flavah was rushing Mictlan, Ashpodel, and someone else all at the same time seems to have died. I'd be curious to learn what his fate was.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Arg, there's a reason why I told you assholes to cast stellar cascades, and not, say, blade wind, into that crowd of jaguars.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

If you have even moderately good rainbows you manually search that poo poo. Remote site searching is usually not a good idea: how many casts do you consider acceptable before finding a site that gives 1 gem/turn?

I am going to propose that the correct thing to do is often not to sitesearch at all, or if you do do it very rarely. The best way to get gems is to run around the map killing other players and taking their sites.

It's sort of prisoner's dilemma going on, though. If nobody site-searches, you don't get that benefit by attacking people. Like Aby doesn't appear to have searched for any fire sites at all in this game, maybe I'll just leave him alone next time because his lands aren't as well site-searched.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Both EA and MA Pan are very good, both in single MP and disciple MP (assuming you don't get seduced by the thought of having hordes of naked women at your command) and use their regular troops. Solid troop line up, nature/earth mages for buffing said troops, and a few other nifty tricks mean they do well in the early/mid game. White centaurs with one major bless (W or N) can carry you surprisingly far in the first few years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

amuayse posted:

How would you guys fix Fire so it isn't such a crap path past the early/mid midgame?

I kid, of course. But having some summons that aren't fire snakes might help.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Yeah i mean, something as simple as Stellar Cascades instantly incapacitates any SCs and big thugs on the battlefield and still does work on troops.

Unless your mystics think that casting bladewind or fireball on all those vulnerable blessed jaguars is a better idea.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Khris Kruel posted:

Hey guys, my wife just got me this game for my birfday and I'm super excited about joining the game. I never played Dom 3 but I heard it was like Risk and I was pretty good when I was 10. Anyways will be joining a game as soon as its done downloading and will read the manual during my first turn.

See ya'll on the battlefield!!!!

It's like Risk, except you can totally flip the board and light it on fire to give you an edge, and then just say "a wizard did it."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Lobster mage was pretty popular in Awesome Gods in Dom 3, thanks to his +6 path boost.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As far as Ur goes, don't forget to keep an Ensi and an Enti in your capital so they can do the sacred marriage each year; otherwise you get some bad Ur-only events.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RBA-Wintrow posted:

If it dies in combat in friendly dominion it reappears in your cap as a slightly different unit. There is a short list of possible forms. Some more powerfull then others.
It may also "become one wih god" giving you a candle on the map but you lose the unit.

Technically, I think it has to die of non-combat related stuff. Disease, assassin spells, and death during retreat count, whereas death in battle does not.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

As always, feedback appreciated. I'm still iffy on the magic lineup, I'd like to keep the current paths but I'm not sure if it's going to work out.

If their crossbows don't fire +kitten bone+ bolts, I will be somewhat disappointed. Also, maybe give them cap-only philosophers? I always liked those guys. Best nobles ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

How are u posted:

Yeah I've dicked around with this mod in single player and it is pretty drat hilarious, you never have any idea what you're going to find. You start out all weak and poo poo and suddenly run into a site that gives you jags or vanheres or those loving underwater Jomon dragon mages or Niefel giants. Can't imagine how chaotic it would be in multiplayer. Would love to see a LP game running this!

I played an MP game with that mod in dom 3, it was definitely entertaining. I think i ended up with sybils and pans. Very rng dependent to what you get, which isn't some people's thing. But the possibilities...

• Locked thread