Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh god I ran a super strong Dominion pretender as the skeleton empire in the middle era. There are undead everywhere, my lands are spontaniously generating Tomb Lords, ghouls, soulless and longdead in foot and horse forms. Constantly.

Every time I end turn I pick up another two or three Tomb Lords O_o

If I had even the faintest idea what I was doing this might even have been a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh god, don't try to do MA Ermor for your first multiplayer game. Eventually the micromanagement of just organizing your endless swarms of undead gets to be loving INSANE.

It's single player but yes it's gotten a little bit out of control; I'm spontaniously generating like three armies per turn and it keeps going up. I could totally see how if used correctly that unending tide of undead could be quite potent.

I think I may stick with the Pale Ones in the future >.>

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

I have a feeling any capital province Agartha takes over might have a Roots of the Earth spawn in it.

And a Chamber of the Seal\Broken Seal apparently; those two are only supposed to exist in the Agartha cap.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Slaan posted:

There are also random events that can add and subtract sites as well, IIRC.

There are also random events that occasionally hint at or outright reveal the existance of an undiscovered site. I've had an earth gem site revealed by a random event and had a fire + earth gem site hinted at by another one.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't think there's any particular restriction on where the random event +gem sites can spawn, so if you got lucky you could probably end up with a bunch of sites.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What the crap has even happened there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I guess sometimes Pan is a Niefel Jarl.

What happens if you transform him again?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ooh I see what happened. Is that supposed to happen? I get the feeling that transforming a Pan into a Niefel Jarl isn't the intended use of the spell.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jsoh posted:

Its been a thing for years so if its not supposed to happen at the very least nobody has made it to not happen.

I love this game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

It's a common earth site, but Agartha has one just so they don't have to hunt over the map to use their summons. It's just a fancy title for a deep hole in the ground where Pale Ones can phone up Rhuax/Barathus for some favors.

Now explain the Chamber of the Seal.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pierzak posted:

Only with Turmoil 3 for maximum hilarity. Then post the best bits.

"Let's play Dominions with maximum chaos!"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JosephWongKS posted:

The next game which is LP-ed should be a game where everyone is required to take Turmoil 3 and Misfortune 3, with random events set to "common".

I would totally do that, just to see how long I could survive.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

We've thought about it for at least twenty minutes, and our conclusion is "make their income 10% of normal or so, don't kill the population".

On the other hand, this would mean that they'd need for their longdead to spawn as "alive" units, as currently ghouls are produced if their domkill, and thus all those corpses, is eliminated (I tested this).

It's also beyond the realms of codeability so far, I think.

I think a lot of the MA Ermor's 'wasteland' problem could be solved if population could emigrate from other provinces into the empty provinces you capture from Ermor. The fact that once a province hits 0 pop it's stuck there forever unless a random event grants it some pop is crippling.

Maybe if you capture a province with 0 pop it gets a free +100 people. It's a pity MA Ermor ruins the game so much cuz thematically they're great.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

I think the whole migration/rituals to boost pop thing is honestly just a mechanics disaster in the making if we can get faction-based #poppergold going somehow, or at least an analogue of it.

I don't follow?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kenlon posted:

#poppergold is the modding command that sets how much population you need, at neutral scales, to get one gold per turn. It is a game-wide command, so the fix of being able to take Ermor and radically lower their income is not available.

Oh I see, jBrereton was trying to say that the immigration thing was a disaster in the making and it would all be a lot easier if we could just set the population per gold faction-wide instead of game-wide.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sovietski posted:

Bah! The Longdead are happy to be chaff, at least they can occasionally take someone down. They could always be a blood slave instead!

The Longdead are happy to be chaff because the sooner they're dead again the sooner they can go back to sleep. Imagine how grumpy you'd be if someone woke you up after centuries of snoozing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm told Earthquake works well against the undead hordes of Ermor too.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

Do you really want to get stuck with the upkeep on 500 starving elephants?

Only for as long as it takes to throw them at the nearest enemy capital.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

On the other hand, you can take Misfortune-2 and be mostly fine-ish, plus 200 design points richer than someone who took Luck 3 and got maybe a turn's worth of gem income in the midgame for it once.

Actually based on my experience Luck 3 + Turmoil 3 will get you an event of similar value (1000 gold, a big blob of gems) every 2 - 3 turns on average at Rare events level.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Are those some kind of giant leopard toads?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jon Joe posted:

Wait, which part of reverse communions no longer work? Do the master's buffs no longer apply to slaves or something?

Slaves are now literally just fatigue absorbing meat blobs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Theantero posted:

undead and demons, but how often are these even a concern if lemuria isn't around?

C'tis says hi.
Actually they say 'Skeletons'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Fire in a Jar is also con 2 and only requires 1 fire to make, giving you a free temporary gem each battle to keep the costs down; use it 5 times and its paid for itself, every gem you use after that to boost and\or cast flaming arrows is pure profit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

No, they say "tomb chariots, millions of them"

Skeletons riding chariots pulled by skeletons. Sounds like skeletons to me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I made a thing to add a Dwarven faction to the game. They are available in MA and are not quite finished yet; some sprites are still placeholders and they're missing their national summons, spells, items and heroes, but otherwise it's all in.

I'd appreciate it if some guys who actually know how Dom works could test it and gimme some feedback, I expect my numbers at least are way off.

Download Dothven - Empire of the Underkings 1.11

:frogsiren: CURRENT VERSION 1.13 :frogsiren:

1.13 brings with it another round of bugfixes, the Mechanical Wright becoming a Commander and an across the board reduction in the protection values of Durium equipment.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 1, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lilli posted:

Neruz I will murder an entire game recruiting nothing but their militia. That is how OP your nation is, sorry.

Don't be sorry; this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm after.

I am new to Dominions, I do not know how to properly balance things, that's exactly why I posted the mod here.

The big thing is I wasn't aware size 1 was actually a good thing; I thought being smaller would be a disadvantage, that not being the case significantly changes things. That being said: Dwarves are supposed to be tougher and more resistant to magic than Humans from a thematic point of view and from the faction standpoint.

Would increasing the base gold cost for a 'dwarf' to 20 (from 10) help? I think I'd rather keep their toughness and make their troops more expensive than reduce it significantly. If all else fails I can just upgrade them to size 2 which should help a lot.

On Battleragers, if sizeresist really doesn't work then I'll need to change how blademail functions. The multitude of low damage attacks from blademail is supposed to basically be ineffective on enemies of size 3 or greater.
Is number of attacks a huge deal? I would have assumed that lots of low damage attacks is worse than one high damage one due to how protection works, but if there's some extra mechanic operating that gives multiple attacks a significant advantage over singular I'll tweak blademail to just be one attack.

Thanks for the feedback; keep it coming. Looks like I need to run another across-the-board reduction to stuff.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JosephWongKS posted:

When a unit faces more than one attack per round, its Defence against the second attack in the same round is reduced by two, its Defence against the third attack in the same round is reduced by four, and so on and so forth. If the unit is facing a high number of attacks per round, its Defence against a good proportion of those attacks will be so low as to be autohit by those attacks; and even if the attacks are low-damage bouncing off against high armor, with that many attacks, some of them will crit and bypass armor entirely.

Aha, this is a useful piece of information to know. I shall have to rethink my design choices in a few places then as that is definitely making certain units a lot more powerful than they should be.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I copied human stats and tweaked them slightly to try and represent 3'6" beings that are half-stone elemental. That said I fully expected all my initial numbers to be way off, I think I actually landed a lot closer to the mark than I expected to land.

The other big mistake I made I see in hindsight is I vastly undervalued stat increases in all cases; an increment of 1 HP (and other stats) is a lot more significant than I assumed.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 2, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
LA Lemuria literally is MA Ermor; if you read LA Lemuria's backstory they were overrun by the ghosts of MA Ermor's legionaires who promptly took over. It's the same guys just in a different part of the world.

The fact that all their dudes are ethereal would probably be a lot better if it wasn't for the fact that by LA everyone and their dog has magic weapons.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Castle Crushers being batshit insane is entirely intentional. Almost all the ritual costs are too low though due to me failing to understand how fatigue translated into gem cost on rituals.

There's also a real issue with the scaling summons scaling waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast that I need to consider.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I want to be 100% certain that I can't bring the faction down to at least the top end of the 'balance scale' so to speak before I give up on that goal, we'll see.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Slaves get nothing. They are nothing more than immobile meat sacks for fatigue soaking.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Underkings Update

Too many changes to list, major changes include:

Significant increment in costs for Dwarven units across the board
Rescaling of Dwarven stats
Sprites for Gryphon Lord, Ursa Lord and Mountain King
Ritual costs now make sense (I think?)

Download Here

Feedback last time was great guys, more of that please :thumbsup:

e: Hahahaha I forgot to set the ressize for the Earthshaker cannon so it costs 1900 resources. Better fix that.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 7, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lilli posted:

Your army overturns and is swept down stream. You lose two bane lords and a fire brand.

What how, did the bane lords drown :iiam:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

They didn't really drown, they're just pinned against a rock somewhere and can't be found.

Now I want a semi-rare random event where you find a barrel and upon opening it a Skeleton jumps out and joins you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

I want to wish for a comet to hit a province.

Great Gift from Heaven. Better hope it hits the province you were aiming at.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Donkringel posted:

What are other bless heavy nations people would recommend? When I think bless I immediately think jags so my expectations are skewed.

Vanheim can pull a brutal triple-bless with ponymans.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Oh, I guess I should note that I recall reading that Desura and GamersGate keys from copies bought before the game was released on Steam could be registered on Steam after Dom4 was released there, but what about now, as it's been a while since that point? Can you still register GG and Desura keys on Steam, or is that no longer permitted?

Im pretty sure the keys that Gamersgate and Desura generate all use exactly the same algorithm and thus can be transferred to Steam with little effort.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Immortality on a mage isn't all that handy unless you're expecting a shitton of SC assassins, on an SC pretender though it's pretty nice when used carefully; helps them avoid wounds amongst other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheDemon posted:

Also to cast Flaming Arrows you only need F2. An F2 mage casts Phoenix Power to get to F3, then uses an extra gem to simulate F4. So all you need is 2 gems and F2.

And the extremely cheap and easy to make Fire in a Bottle misc item provides you with one free fire gem per battle so you can make that 1 gem. Fight 5 battles and its paid for itself.

• Locked thread