Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dirk the Average posted:

Depends on the god. Eventually they'll eat enough horror marks from horror attacks that they'll attract a big enough horror to eat them, but some gods last longer than others. If you've got a giant fuckoff dragon, for instance, it can easily eat a lot of horrors. If you've got a crone, on the other hand, she might just get eaten immediately the first time a lesser horror pops up.

How does that interact with pretenders like the phoenix? Will it get to the point that they will fight against horrors every single turn? And are horror marks wiped if you die "for real" and are brought back by your priests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

amuayse posted:

Tests indicate that anything below MR 23 when attacking/shooting/casting damage spells/looking in the general direction at Blood Vengeance +0 units is hazardous.

What values of MR do most mages start out? I imagine it could be difficult to get too much magic resistance. What methods are there anyway? Some crafted gear. Does Astral magic give mages a passive bonus to MR? Is there a spell to buff MR? Anything else?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lilli posted:

I'm slightly reluctant to post why we picked each of our nations since our composition has much to do with our team strategy. That being said, I'm willing to post an AAR about why we did what we did and what our (or at least my) thoughts were going into the game and how we did during it.

Since you are fighting against dirty (forum-)foreigners, I think everybody understands if you don't post more stuff or your thoughts about the on-going game. As long as we get an AAR where we see you go :black101: against your enemies we will be satisfied.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That is... that is just great. Oh Dom4, never change.

How many more easter eggs are hidden in this game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there any point to the ritual that wards your province against enemy spells but slowly horror marks all your units under it's protection?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Question posted:

If you ever get that guy in a real game: he has a hidden magic path boost, so if you empower him in any path, he's automatically at 2.

Besides, he is your only natural source of fire magic, since none of the recruitable Tuatha mages have fire paths.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There should be a sea to sea province teleport spell.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chomp8645 posted:

It looks like the next thing on my list is to figure out how the hell sieges work. I was doing alright against the AI until my main (enormous) army with my pretender spent at least 10 turns trying to bash down a castle gate with seemingly no progress, while in the mean time Caelum was able to burst into my fortress in something like four turns.

Are there siege weapons or spells I need to acquire to get past fortifications faster? If so how do I get them? I couldn't see anything obvious as middle age Man.

Basically, sieges work by pitting the units inside the fort against the units outside. If you have more guys besieging the castle than there are defenders, you will reduce the defense value a certain amount. Different castles have different defense values, with capitals typically the highest values. If you cannot outnumber the defenders then the siege will make no progress. BUT castles also have a limited supply, when this is used up the defenders will begin to die. So many dudes inside the castle can prevent besiegers from making progress in tearing down the walls, but they will eat up the supplies quickly. Except if the have certain magic items and nature mages that feed them I guess.

Castles can be build up to have more supplies and better defenses, but capitals always start with a fully built up castle. If Caelum besieges one of your new, undefended castles while you siege their capital it is no wonder that they took less time to siege it down. There are troops who count double or more for defending castles (you should have some as well as MA Man) and for sieging castles (you are out of luck as Man). You can craft magic items (with earth paths) that give a sieging bonus.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You could look at this LP of Dom 4, though it appears to be on hiatus at the moment:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574174

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What about Forge of the Ancients?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If somebody casts Burden of Time, and a unit cannot age (equipment/unique fountain of youth artifact), will BoT override this?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Which non-undead nation is least affected by an ongoing Burden of Time? EA Tir na nog?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jBrereton posted:

Pale Ones are rare as gently caress to find as indies.

Yeah if your map is choked with caves like Valanis there are going to be some, but Valanis is not a terribly good map, gameplay-wise (looks great though).

What's wrong with Valanis? Unbalanced starts?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Gabriel Pope's Dom 3 LP was on a map with corners, it was still great. Speaking of LP's and Valanis, is there any new on when/if Klisanth Magus will continue with the first Dom4 LP?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neruz posted:

These brave crossbowmen saw their chance.

Wow, I bet somebody was a bit pissed after his pretender was killed by the fleeing enemy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing I would love were buttons to adjust values by 5 or 10, instead of one. I like to put 5 or 10 PD in my provinces, and casting a big spell with 20 additional gems can get tiring. And I am always afraid that somebody will snap up important mercenaries, so I don't mind spending 50 gold more than the suggested amount, but it leads to too much clicking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

I'm just curious, what kind of kill message did you get? Was it some generic "X is dead" message, or something that references what actually happened like the "X drowned" messages from underwater?

Do a quick test yourself, play an underwater nation with aquatic astral mages, teleport said mage onto a conquered land province.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Slaan posted:

But turkeys are good tactics. They are purpose-bred for God Slaying! Not even a pretender can get through that province. :black101:

That was one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Although I liked grounding the Zmeys with Perpetual Storm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He says that you should pick air as a newbie, probably because of the ease of use that you wrote about.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Kitfox is already a famous Dominions player with a known quirk without appearing in an LP. You can be proud.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

akulanization posted:

EA Caelum gets a stealthy sacred flyer and better Harab Seraphs. Seraphines also have F1 in EA now, so I think the nation wants to raid much more aggressively than it did before and you can justify a cheap bless. Caelian infantry isn't good by any metric, but it has a use with its moderately powerful charge bonuses for small amounts of gold. The Conj 7 summon is very nice, 30 gems for A3S2H3 are respectable paths for a bunch of things; it can claim thrones, thug with built in awe and ethereal, and summon itself with a starshine skullcap at a minimum. The death troop summons are good if you can get the income and are not an order nation or fighting an order nation (so not that good in practice) as they have inbuilt fear. The mage summons in death are good for magic diversity and can give you some high level paths, but they are very expensive, will require a god or empowerment to cast, and will not be able to thug because of chaospower. I think that taking astral on your god is a good idea for EA Caelum, empower a harab in fire if you get lucky with income for the death stuff.

Also, completely unrelated, that Titan of Heaven province casts round one fog warriors sometimes. Hope you have lightning resist and magic weapons.

I only know Dom4 through the demo, the LP's and the Mod Inspector, so I don't have the most experience with the game. But to that "completely unrelated" sentence:

Lucky for Caelum to have mages able to cast thunder ward AND troops inherently resistant to lightning who ALSO have magic weapons. Curious how that works sometimes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there any other spells connected to each other like Eyes of God and Fate of Oedipus? I guess Sea of Ice mostly cancels out Thetis' Blessing, though it doesn't end it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurnugia posted:

Question, does boosting your pretender your pretender through items or empowerment also affect the bless?

No, nothing done after the game start affects your bless. Even if your pretender loses all his magic paths through dying and being revived constantly, your bless remains the same.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, how do I get rid of the necromancer's lair that spawned in my game (story events on)? It's constantly spawning undead armies which devastate my provinces and then apparently spawn special sites and reduce the population of these provinces to 10.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What does Strands of Arcane Power do? I never got around to casting that global, and I don't quite understand the description. And is it as bad (useless) as I suspect it is?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How can you build temples when you have no income at all?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Donkringel posted:

Make the drat thing a gem gen unit. By the time a player can do any sort of magic trickery, they will appreciate the gem income more.

Can units have more than one gem gen attribute to them?

There is already at least one pretender that gives you one water and one nature gem per month, so yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

scalded schlong posted:

Please mod all commanders so that 10% of them have their gender tag switched for the purposes of seduction, to accurately represent my dryad/oreiad fanfiction.

Penthesilea casts Entangle

Aren't Arco's sacreds immune to seduction on account of being gay?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yes, AI, banishment spam sure is a great idea when you are spamming undead summoming spells at the same time :doh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Impressions from Turkish Delight: The War That Never Ends

The endless Cold War between Eriu and C'tis is finally over with this counter-offensive striking back at a massive skelespam-army. 27 Marshmasters can summon a lot of undead. I just barely had enough chaff and summoned units to break this massive horde of skeletons. In the end I won because my air mages are sacred and my rainbow-pretender has enough earth paths to give reinvigoration.

With 5 mages lost against 19 mages killed, I think I came out on top. Luckily my chaff is cheap enough the losses didn't really hurt, it's just a pain to hold them alive when heavy magic is exchanged like artillery grenades on the battlefield.

Before I forget, here's the recording I made from the battle:

Skelespam vs. Thunderhammer

Please don't mind the music, I completely forgot I had my radio running and Dominions 4 isn't really important enough for me to redo the video. (Yes, I know. I'm lazy.)

Video not available :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neruz posted:

Apparently 820 gold worth of PD (40 PD) is also more than capable of killing over 2000 gold worth of elves.

Well, it obviously depends on the nation you are playing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Boing posted:

So it looks like scripting Summon Storm Power is really annoying because your mages won't cast it unless there's a storm already up. Which means if you have 9 A2 mages and one A3 mage with some gems, you better hope the A3 mage is first in the casting order so he can do Storm before the rest of them, else your guys have to wait til turn 3 to start casting their evocations. Especially since it's really hard to boost your A2 of choice to A3 and will probably have to rely on random paths to get that A3.

Is there no way around this? Is casting order hardcoded in?

Yes, casting order is fixed. It will always be the same mage who goes first, so if you have any boosters or empower the A2 mage who always goes first then your problem will go away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

goatface posted:

It's not even got the slots to stack boosters on it. I'm not sure what it's meant to be for.

What do the rest of their mages look like?

Hey, they can wear a Skull Face and a Winged Helmet, as well as a Ring of Wizardry, Ring of Sorcery, Skull of Fire AND a Crystal Coin!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

So wait, does this mean if I use this one weird fire spell for temporary immortality, I can heal afflictions with suicide?

If I recall correctly, then phoenix pyre gives the unit "reformation", a 100% chance to reform on the battlefield (if they are not asleep), and not immortality.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If Agartha can cast Rhuax Pact, why can't Abysia cast Pyriphlogos Pact?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Maybe a 6 credit course at a post-secondary school.

How does anyone get into this game? Are most people holdovers from dominions 1-3?

I learned by looking at one of the screenshot LP's here on Something Awful, and then got my rear end kicked a few times before I understood the game enough to at least beat the AI. Links are in the OP of this thread, just look it up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's only a couple categories for globals

the 'gently caress you' category: astral corruption

the 'this is really aggravating' category: vengeful waters, burden of time, etc.

the 'this is vaguely okay at best and pointless at worst' category: everything else

Arcane Nexus nowhere to be found on this list? Fail!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do Ulm's drain immune mages actually profit from magic domain or are they similarly unaffected (research wise)?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elukka posted:

So after getting some conquest done, basically all of my soldiers are terribly traumatized and wounded. As MA Ulm, I don't think I have healers. Is there anything I can do to fix my veterans or do I just throw them into suicide squads? Or do I just not care that they're missing arms and frightened by battle?

I hope you picked an Irminsul and have already cast Mother Oak, so that you can cast Gift of Health soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
These are really cool, thank you. Is there an unique message for Xibalba stealing the sun?

Also, the message for The Looming Hell appears twice in your list.

• Locked thread