Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absum
May 28, 2013

I wanted to wait until this was in sale but I coudn't take it anymore.

I've signed up for brainwrinkle but I'll be looking around sp first for a bit, but all games are full anyway :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

I wish I could design pretenders that good :v:. I'm in a LA Mari game and I just got a S9 fountain for boosters. I do have slightly better scales but it's not really worth it.

One thing you should know that I only just discovered is that you can only recruit chartmakers in coastal forts.

For MP I'd say you should be most careful of BoT and bless rushes. Definitely go Ench first for flaming arrows and dispel (and possibly GoH).

Absum
May 28, 2013

LordSloth posted:

If you've just discovered that, I think I'll repeat this once more because it is a strange thing in this day and age to even have a manual:

They've been updating the manual from it's initial sorry state on release. Now the main part of the manual includes national bestiaries, including things like coastal only recruits for Mari, and capitol and cave troops like Agartha. This is incredibly handy, and I can't believe I entered an MP game without noticing that update.

I didn't know they'd been updating it, thanks :).

jBrereton posted:

Who're you casting GoH with, exactly?

No one in this case, but it's still really useful for Mari so I just thought I'd mention it as well. You are going to need Ench 5 relatively soon either way if Lemuria is in the game so you can dispel BoT.

Absum
May 28, 2013

According to the (dom3) wiki you can't use blood slaves this way though, does anyone know if that's correct?

Absum
May 28, 2013

Does anyone have tips for LA Caelum? I'm hoping to get through the midgame by using the strategic mobility flying gives me, it'd my first time using Caelum at all though so not sure how well that's gonna go.

I'm also thinking of not recruiting shortbows unless I encounter really low prot enemies such as jaguars/skinshifters/flagellants seeing as in the few tests I did my bows killed more of my own guys then indies.

amuayse posted:

Does its effects stack or do I have to cast it every turn? I'm playing EA R'lyeh and I've conquered and super fortified all the oceans, so all I've been doing is shooting mind hunts here and there. At least I have a throne :)

It stacks as far as I know. Note that it sends an event, so it's not reliable for remote cursing moving armies.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I've played 6 including ones that I'm still alive in (one that is still on turn 13), and I also feel it would be unfair for me to join a newbie game, especially as I feel that people with one or zero games should be given a chance to join first, or people that aren't in any games currently.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Currently yes, after the next patch hits they won't age anymore.

Absum
May 28, 2013

It does check mr, unless it has a random chance to fail, which doesn't seem likely.

e: Source is my units not becoming frogs on the very first cast but taking several instead.

Absum fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 22, 2014

Absum
May 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

At present in the game there are a number of nation specific 'event chains' that can occur. Most of them don't work correctly or only work for the first step; if MA Ermor finds the Silver Sarcophagus they get an event to send a dude to the sarcophagus to open it and get a friendly mummy for example. There are a bunch of other events for other factions like one for EA Ermor which I think is supposed to end up with you getting a C'tissian Sauromancer but the chain breaks after the first event. Another is for LA Man and involves sending a dude to a specified province to find a Daughter of Avalon and again stops there but sounds like it was supposed to keep going as you learn about some underground cult.

Hopefully those are the mentioned story events that now work, if so they'll probably skew the power balance a bit because some of the events result in fairly powerful rewards if done correctly. There are also presumably a bunch more both generic and specific to certain factions that are new and that I havn't run into.

Most of those aren't part of the story events currently, they still want feedback on whether they should be. The story events are different event sequences and there seem to be quite a lot of global ones?

Take a look on the Desura forums, there's a little bit of info in the event bug thread.

e: From the Desura thread:

Examples of new story events:
War in hell (global)
The three gates (global)
Time of the Northmen (global)
Gaia stirs (global)
The Necromancer
The King in the Mountain
Mage Kings Citadel
Tower of Thorns
The lion of helms (short event chain for Man, chelms)
Spreading plague + plague cult
Unholy flux
Fertility cult
Horror cult

Absum
May 28, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

I took a bunch of Caelum's castles then Ilanin turned around and looked at me and promptly obliterated my stacks of dudes with 50+ mages and sacked my capital to the ground in the final turns. :v:

I was Caelum, Ilanin was Midgard :v:.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Props to Midgard for winning despite Caelum being hugely ahead on every endgame scoregraph. I like to think my minor offensives had some part in delaying Caelum's progress but I suspect it really came down to who could grab the 2 point thrones.

I'm pretty sure your AC cast overwrote the Perpetual storm Midgard had up and because of that he managed to sail an army to the two point throne, which was lightly defended as he did not have any troops anywhere near that border.

Apart from that I have a higher opinion of LA Caelum mages now. I managed to find a use for most of them, although I'm not sure if they would still have been effective in smaller numbers.
Corpse constructs were pretty useful in the early and mid game but they died a bit too fast to be really useful chaff later on.

And of course well played everyone, I had fun :D.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

Always consider the source--a habitual Ermor player telling new players that attacking Ermor with everything you've got as soon as you see them is a losing strategy should raise some red flags. I've never had a problem with my neighbors stabbing my while I was attacking Ermor. That's probably because I write my neighbors a nice note explaining that if they attack me, I'll not only stop attacking Ermor and turn on them, I'll form an unholy alliance with Ermor and make sure they take all my provinces, gold and gems, like some kind of spiteful giving tree. If you're making a good faith effort to stop the Ermor menace (and especially if BoT is up), your neighbors will either leave you alone or chip in a little bit.

I think we're past the phase of metagame diplomacy where Ermor can win in larger games, but they sure can thoroughly and arbitrarily ruin it for all the nations whose mages can't handle old age.

I'm pretty sure you stabbed some guy fighting Ermor in the back though so I dunno man.

e: Personally I don't care either way, I only dislike BoT because of all the afflictions and old age.

People making alliances against Ermor or not or stabbing people in the back is all just regular diplo as far as I'm concerned.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Back To 99 posted:

This looks cool, but i can't really commit to multiplayer games. Is this like civ, paradox games or total war where you can play singleplayer against the AI without missing any content or the true experience of the game?

This depends on personal preference. Plenty of people play this game singleplayer only.

I would say if you can play civ singleplayer you can play this singleplayer as well. Personally I get bored of both real quick in singleplayer because AI are boring to play against whether you win or lose.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ilanin posted:

I just don't find this to be true at all. My first MP game after the first 25 turns I was taking an hour per turn easily, (two-thirds diplomacy one-third movement); and for the final 20 turns or so at least two and maybe three hours. For this reason I've not really been interested in playing another one, especially given that saxophone made it very clear quite how far removed I am from being even approximately good at the game. I don't know, maybe some decisions become more automatic with practice, but I certainly don't have anything like time to play the game regularly at the amount of effort it takes me.

You won saxophone though? I'd also say you were the only other major power besides me after the midgame so I'm not sure why you think this. Sure there were a lot of newer players in the game but you were as well so you definitely did good?

You really don't need to spend that long on diplo either, you can get by fine just sending people messages when you need something from them.

Absum
May 28, 2013

In addition to all that's been said I strongly recommend new players to click on literally everything. There is a lot more information ingame than people seem to realise.

For example if you click on ethereal it would at least have told you a unit is "very hard to hit with normal weapons", which is a pretty good clue as to how it works (iirc 75% miss chance don't quote me on it though).

Another example is your units age and maxage (the age at which they reach old age). The game shows these if you click on fatigue in a unit's stat screen. Now I understand that that might be kinda weird, but that is why I advise clicking on everyhing, that is how I found stuff like this.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Go at least Heat 2 preferably 3 to counteract winter and people with cold dom, the cold blooded encumbrance penalty is kind of horrible.

Absum
May 28, 2013

The auto research on recruit is in the preferences menu, a checkbox somewhere.

I think your guy fell asleep because of those boots, every square you trample counts as an attack for fatigue iirc, so you generally tire quicker. Also giving him a fire brand + trample is pointless, you can't both trample and attack at the same time and a brand is not that good against single units (the only things your guy will attack normally will be other size 6 units).

Also press 'y' to view combat orders for commanders that will be in the selected province next turn to coordinate attacks from multiple provs, also click things more, especially the morale and fatigue parts of a unit stat screen, they hide upkeep and age respectively.

Also copy combat orders by mousing over them and shift + a number, paste them by pressing the appropriate number with your mouse over the line where the orders go.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Apart from what Chairman said, CoE3 is a sp only game so the AI is a problem.

Uh no it isn't? I've played it multiplayer a few times.

I do like CoE3 and I played it before Dominions but it does indeed tend to get tedious unless you are one of the nations that can spawn AI-controlled stuff. I don't mind less depth though, sometimes I just want to summon some monsters and bump them into some other guys.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Slaan posted:

Hmmm, since I played D3 for years, I decided to just jump into a game or two and learn the hard only way to play Dom4. But, I can't seem to connect to the servers for the games. Any ideas why I'm not connecting? I'm not receiving any error messages other than "check your IP address and port are correct."

The server for prototype isn't up yet as far as I know and the thanksgiving thing is a placeholder until someone hosts for walgreets.

Absum
May 28, 2013

The server will normally be up fairly soon after the game is posted, but these two are both hosting for the first time and one is even trying out his own server so I dunno how it's gonna go.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I think he was talking about the indies next to him. Seems a bit premature to declare war on someone you haven't met yet on turn 3.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

A bunch of my friends are playing this game, so I bought it too. This thing is the most impenetrable web of bullshit I've ever come across. I watched a youtube video on how to play, and after 45 minutes the dude hadn't even started the actual game. Most of the interface is "here's a bunch of symbols that you're going to need to look up in the 300 page manual online" instead of just having a tooltip next to them.

Literally almost every symbol or stat can be clicked and the game will give you an explanation (which can range from super vague to relatively detailed) so just click everything you see.

e: I learned the game by clicking stuff, seriously I had never watched or read an lp but I knew more than most other newbies in my first games. I did play the super poo poo dom3 tutorial when I tried the demo but it's uh not that helpful except for learning that yes you can move armies and build stuff imo (didn't buy dom3 though).

Absum fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 26, 2014

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'm not qualified to say what you should research first but alt is a real good tree, MOak + swarm + wooden warriors + transformation. Evo is probably also good for sleep cloud spam, your chaff has higher than average mr anyway.

Turmoil is fine for checking out maenads, but I do hope you know what you're getting yourself into if so.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Higher level priests can sac more slaves and generate more temple checks so that can help too.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Not really anyone, MA Man or Arco if I had to pick someone probably. You can't have only super special unique nations imo, some "normal humans" are needed and I feel most human nations have decent enough themes&things to make up for it (well except MA Arco I guess they don't really have a thing).

Absum
May 28, 2013

NAP them and ignore them they'll be very happy.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Libluini posted:

That's a nice looking hand-drawn map. Where did you get it?

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/peliwyr-12718-wraparound

Absum
May 28, 2013

I see a lot of people say things like if you ignore Ermor they'll kill you later and win, but I don't see why this is a special Ermor thing? Everyone is dangerous if you ignore them until they're too big and win? That's what the game is, whoever expands easiest and fastest has a very high change of winning.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I mean I've literally never been in a game with Ermor because it gets banned all the time (which is also why I'm asking this), but I had no issues dealing with lemurs controlling half the map when I had about the same.

I understand that they're banned because they'll gently caress people over even if they die in their first war, but do they really get that much chaff that they'll win lategame even though you have tarts/RoS/firestorm/wish/vengeful/AC?

Absum
May 28, 2013

I've never seen jomon hold an uw fort long enough to make even a single ryujin, lemurs/atlantis/rlyeh will all wreck your poo poo uw.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I have only played EA Atlantis and LA R'lyeh but I most certainly do not feel irrelevant.

In both of those games my largest problem is dragging my mages and troops where I need them. I could probably deal with only getting my mages uw but the mm1 everywhere makes it awful to play. My second largest problem is the lack of indie scouts uw.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'd say Mictlan or Midgard for blood sac and decent early game.

e: I have literally never played a disciple game though

Absum
May 28, 2013

FnF posted:

The globals-board in ChunkyPanty this turn :

I (EA Ermor) don't know how I managed to get to this point, it's been a strange ride. Atlantis will presumably cast a 999-gem one right over it next turn, but at least I get to bask in my one turn of preposterous glory :v:

I've been making my own angry waters and putting them in bottles so I'd have to save up first. I also want you to keep it anyway because the more issues Boing has with you the longer I have to hang around and do nothing.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Sometimes your own simulation of the battle does not match up to the server's because :dominions: I guess.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Chunky Panty, one of the badnations games, is over. I sort of won as the last person remaining that's not an AI. It was more of a draw between me (Atlantis) and Boing (TC) and sort of AI Ermor (previously FnF).

Graphs:

So yeah a water nation sort of won.

I had a pretty bad start with my awake god dying turn 4 or something. Luckily the same thing happened to the other water nation. Normally MA R'lyeh would probably beat EA Atlantis but I was faster in deploying mass sharks and won a few early battles + I took some land provinces he couldn't get to, and those land provinces were really rich compared to lovely uw provinces. I was slowly winning and at some point the R'lyeh player disappeared (rip Afrosquirrel). If that hadn't happened I would probably not have been ready in time for the big showdowns on land.

I'd already helped TC out in a land war while R'lyeh was still alive so I had a decent amount of provinces. The big land players at that point were mainly Ulm and Ermor, with TC and LA Mari on the side. I only know that TC helped Ermor beat Ulm while I slowly ate indie thrones, AI Arco and the much smaller and newer LA Mari.

Ulm then went AI and TC and Ermor started fighting. TC tried to put up Nexus but failed even after alchemizing all his gems while Ermor was putting up more and more gently caress you globals ( he ended with strands, wrath of god and vengeful). TC then kinda gave up on attacking Ermor as far as I know because he couldn't move his mages into Ermor dom easily until he had Tartarians.

Then Ermor went AI and I started smashing my magestacks into TC because we both had max research. TC gave up not long after because gently caress communions lategame (I was just scripting frozen heart on all of my mages and killing horrors).

I also guess we both went into blood and I had some heliophages and all the elemental royalty and lotsa gems I literally couldnt spend because maelstrom is cool like that. I was also gonna make vampires but then I realised they would drown if they died and respawned on my cap rip.

Oh and I had almost no troops until at the end I started making bats and wolves because all my money was going into mages.

I think that's all? Hopefully some land nation can tell you what happened in the ~65 turns I didn't have a scout presence because uw provinces don't get indie scouts.

e: I got the graphs using my lotsa gems to cast eyes of god.

Absum fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 14, 2015

Absum
May 28, 2013

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Absum loving clowned us both all over the place. I could not win in any place that a sauo army appeared.

I had lotsa fun clowning on your undead armies and also taking things with my teams of guerrilla wolves. You did make me slightly sad because I had such a good start and I had a really good shot at winning until you attacked.

Sauro actually felt pretty strong. They are good skeletons makers for EA and get some blood. I imagine if I'd gotten rushed by Sloppy Milkshake/thespo I would've died though, I only managed to stalemate and later slowly advance because he didn't attack until I had ench5 (horde of skeletons + foul vapours).

Soothsayers are also amazing, I've seen people say enaries are better but when you are to poor to even build conventional troops and constantly trading provinces being able to get s1 mages for just 35g from every fort is really really nice. Enaries are probably the better mage but later on I mainly relied on witch kings supported by soothsayers communions because it allowed me the better path access of the witch kings yet was also cheaper overall.

Also I accidentally demolished my cap fort and had to rebuild it as palisades in this game.

fakeedit: Enchanted Forests is really loving strong it turns out, if you are not a bloodsac nation you will eventually lose your provinces and never get them back.

Absum
May 28, 2013

NotDeadYet posted:

EA: low income provinces, lots of tribal indies/militia and other things like amazons and lizards, very few knights, almost no crossbows

MA:medium income provinces, many more heavy infantry and knights, crossbows, still some tribals and odd indies

LA:high income provinces, almost all heavy infantry/knights/crossbows, very few tribals

Amount of magic sites also decreases from EA to LA.

Absum
May 28, 2013

They are probably correcting finals and stuff, doesn't that always happen around this period.

Absum
May 28, 2013

BurlapNapkin posted:

Midget's Revenge has ended

Gah I didn't know I was that far ahead and I already told you I shouldn't have gone AI gently caress. I still think I would've lost to jag warriors but I could've done so much more (probably).

Absum
May 28, 2013

Just click on morale to see your units upkeep instead of having to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

The dominions four interface might not be great, but compared to the dominions three interface it is amazing imo.

• Locked thread