Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Herald lances and flambeaus?

Dust to dust is thaumaturgy 1, only needs D1 to cast. Solar rays is evocation 2, and needs S2. There's also banish spam, even level 2 priests wreck chaff.

Watching Maerland taught me that Ashen Empire's troops are mostly mindless, so you can try to use spells that ignore mindless units (mind burn) to decapitate their armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Trying to learn, so much stuff. Is a lycanthropos' amulet on a Bane Lord a good idea?

Extra strength, attack, protection and regen all for the low low price of 10 magic seeds nature gems! Downsides, they won't follow ze orders any more, if they get bad afflictions you can't transfer it off, and if they die you just know one of your mages will pick it up.

Did I just answer my own question?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

From the horse's mouth.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If a unit survives battle, it's generally gets its HP healed right?

So a blessed undead going into undying HP and surviving will be at full strength after?

I'm going off the post on Dom3mods, but the phrase "survive with negative HP" is a little ambiguous.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's also an option to view the changelog, which instantly catapults Desura ahead of Steam in my book.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You might actually need the client to get the CD key, I can't see anything on the website for that.

Edit: I apparently have a brain condition where anything posted by Zurai gets filed under "ignore this and make yourself look like a moron!"

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 21, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A hundred plus water gems is 8 or 9 cata... catobl... death bulls!

That's a lot of death stare.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

did they take out the aoe death gaze? :smith:
If they did take it out, they've put it back in now.

It's a precision 100, AOE 5, ranged murder vs MR check in my game.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah it's 15 AN damage. I was being melodramatic, because that's what it looks like when you get a few lined up.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pangaea splinters into Asphodel in the middle age, is that where they went?

Dominion kills population and they get carrion freespawns. Hippy Ermor basically. Although they have national recruits too, not just summons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Slaan posted:

Right, and there are also fire, water and earth generators as well. I was just pointing out that the gemgens exist, just as pretenders.

It makes you wonder about life in the provinces during the wars are. Sure, a couple months of guys coming along to take your virgin daughters could be considered as 'normal' raiding. But 3 straight years of it in the same place? Where the hell do they find them? There can only be so many virgins in a province, and the supply of new virgins would obviously diminish quickly as people realized who was being taken.

"Oh hey, you hit menarch? Good for you. Hey Johnny, come over here, I got a proposal for you!"

I guess you can bullshit it by saying the 'unrest deaths' are guys killed for letting their daughters have sex, thus avoiding the 'no sex, ever' laws.
Presumably some of these people worship the (very very real... you can see him walking around over there!) god their daughters are being killed in the name of. They could just give them up willingly?

Historically, a woman's place many societies ranked somewhere below cattle... your virgin daughter being sacrificed at least means you don't have to pay a loving dowry. Probably seen as a win!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gah, Bow of War used to do magic damage before this patch.

I suppose that's how it's supposed to work, I still hate undocumented changes though!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've just been leaving nation selection on random, then trying to figure out what the hell from there.

Gives an incentive to learn new strategies. Seemed to work okay for me in Civ 4.

Some general guides would be nice, the few that are around tend to be very specific. I know it's a complicated game, but an experienced player could look at a nation and see that this mage can cast X, or bless Y would be good. Or even, "these guys suck! I'd better take a blood/death pretender and bootstrap myself into vampires!"

Us new players have no bloody clue at all, it can sometimes leave us floundering!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Speleothing posted:

The problem with random nation selection is that you really can't know what a nation needs from its god until you've looked at its units. What most of us do is have a saved game for each era where we have every nation active and set to human-controlled. That way we can just load up that game and take a peek at whichever nation we want. When you're setting up those games, just accept whatever random chassis is presented for each nation, and set "Starting Provinces" to 3 or 4 so you can get a look at any non-fort recruits each nation might get.
Oh, I restart once I've had a look at all that and tried to figure out what a workable strategy would be.

I just stick to the nation selected for me and try to make it work.

Edit: Tried forever to get Pan's songs to work, they look so good on paper! Just wouldn't happen on the battlefield though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 5, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Burnsaber posted:

I think that you cannot kill yourself with spell fatigue, you will just go to 200 fatigue.
You can if you're taking a nap while the rest of the army routs around you!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Maerland does a lets play with EA R'lyeh in D3

His strategy centres around using polypal mothers to freespawn aboleths gibothingys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thnjw6zbecE

And also lulling people with that hypnotic voice. The guy should read children's audiobooks for a living.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 8, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sorry guys, never noticed.

That voice, it just switches off mah brain.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Did he have a shield?

Awe only works in melee, an arrow probably hit him in the eye or something.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Their mages also seem very (very) expensive for the paths you get.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Only eventually.

Everything dies though, even gods. Be philosophical about it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've read the general consensus that LA Ermor was "very" powerful. But then, I've read some very knowledgeable players say that they're weren't actually all that.

They certainly had some acute weaknesses that are were easily exploitable by pretty much everyone, and those weaknesses haven't gone anywhere in Dom 4. They look more of a late bloomer to my (admittedly inexperienced) eyes.

Looking at the stats for Dusk Elders, the new ones do seem much better. They can all cast banefire and nether darts, and all of them can join communions. If you get a fire random, they can cast solar eclipse pretty easily (and for free with a fire in a jar). So there is a buff there.

I wouldn't say knights are worth blessing. They never heal and don't seem to spawn in any great numbers.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hah, well there's a thing. Probably still not worth building a bless around though.

When I tried Ermor against the AI, I used bishops with amulets of the dead to summon hordes of undead horsemen. The 4 knights a turn that spawned just had to suck up their pride and slum it with those.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 26, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Gift of reason adds a huge up front cost and almost universally gets you something that needs half a dozen items to survive on its own.
Yeah. I've noticed people knocking sleepers, but for the price of GoR alone you can get two of those guys.

They have really good combat stats, recuperation, and come pre-equiped with nice high prot/low enc armour, a large shield, and magic weapons (including range 25 magic javelins!). Stick on an amulet of luck or something and they're good to go.

They're probably not going to be rampaging through the countryside on their own, but they don't look completely awful to me.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 28, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Luck now negates 75% of all killing blows (including magic), doesn't work on the undead or lifeless (because they're dead, their luck has already run out!).

I thought sleepers with their high defence and relatively low hitpoints might be one of the better candidates for it now.

Wonder how it'd interact with a mistformed vanjarl/sidhe lord?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 29, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Wait, how does a man engage in sexual contact with bones?
Well, when a man and his bone love each other very much...

Edit: speaking of fire, it does get blindness and incinerate relatively early. That's two precision 100 "gently caress you"'s to anyone stupid enough to walk something big and nasty into your territory. If that's not scary I don't know what is.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pikeneers aren't very good, but they're pretty much all you've got. They absolutely require arrow decoys otherwise they die like flies. Rangers are decent though, if you can stop them from killing all your men with friendly fire.

I had some success versus the AI with an awake blood fountain specced to summon vampire counts.

First few turns hire wolfherds to summon free patrollers. Blood hunt with the fountain from turn one and summon counts when you have 44 slaves (that's the entirety of the plan!). Later you can use your fountain to do ritual of five gates or something. Death 4 means you can summon spectres for a little diversity (not that much though).

With growth 2, even with hunting and patrols your capital population goes up (I've yet to try growth 1, might be possible to get some extra points). You can usually knock out your first count by month 5/6, and it grows exponentially from there.

The fact that you don't need a fort to hire researchers is handy too.

Edit: because I keep thinking of more stuff.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 30, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Can someone confirm the paths/level for soul contracts for me?

I swear they were 1F6B and construction 2. Made a test game with Abysia and it worked fine, made another game with the same paths on my pretender and don't appear to be able to forge them.

My game crashed, wondering if something is corrupt or if I'm just being an idiot.

Edit: I'm an idiot, it's 1F7B! Note to self: the Dominions 3 wiki might not be entirely accurate in regards to Dominions 4, you loving doofus.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 1, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Which Ermor, and what's your research?

This thread is quite old, but lots of it probably still applies. You should have access to frighten/terror, mind burn, paralyse and stellar cascades right?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

*cough*

"Blood Vengeance - reworked since D3, now instead of reflecting damage, if the attacker fails a MR check, he will take damage as well as the defender. (In D3 the defender wouldn't receive the damage) Like D3, the returned damage will be post protections and resistance, but pre things like mistform, etherealness, air shield, luck and mirror image."

*cough*

Ethereal, lucky BV vestals: literally adding injury to insult.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The extra strength doesn't do their 3 attacks per turn any harm either.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not terribly well really.

They have no recruitable blood hunters, so you'd be stuck with your pretender at first. You could maybe empower an arch-theurg with blood and have them summon vampire lords to hunt for you... but that's a lot of research, the game would probably be over before you could leverage it to any extent.

I was only being half serious. The specific effects of BV are something worth considering strategically though... it's just a shame the information is so vague. What the hell does "things like" mean exactly?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 1, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Try decapitating their armies with seductions?

Script an Oreiad with aim+lightning bolts, the research for that is pretty low, should screw over anything dumb enough to say no.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Yeah they'll burn the gems automatically if they have them and you scripted the spell. Make sure they have the box checked to conserve gems or they will burn them doing stupid crap if they have the chance.
With the box checked, they'll only do stupid poo poo 50% of the time!

Best to just have a scout or something shadow the army with the spares. Mages with extra gems are like trailer trash lottery winners, it's only a matter of time until they blow the lot on a trip to Vegas.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gorilla warfare huh... So he was like, attached to Bandar forces for a time or what?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Quick question, why transformation?

Was Burden affecting your pans, I thought they had pretty long lifespans?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ah come on, everybody has to do that one at least once.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's a shame population issues like that make otherwise thematically interesting nations undesirable in multiplayer.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not sure if this would be the best way, but you could change the way the game handles population and growth/death scales.

Have provinces have a base population, with scales (and popkill dominion) being a percentage modifier. Have the population slowly grow/shrink to the modified value when under the effects of dominion.

So a base 5000 population province under the effects of death 3 would slowly shrink down to say 3000, then later if it comes under growth 3 it could expand up to 7000. This would mean the effects of blood hunting and raiding (and Armageddon) would be similarly temporary, but it'd make it possible to keep Ermor thematic without permanently crippling its close neighbours.

Not possible with mods, its a core design issue really.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Do that and you're just neutering their dominion effects on other people, while retaining the disadvantages for them as an additional gently caress you. The stated problem isn't that they're overpowered!

They'd probably just end up pillaging the population away anyway, so it doesn't really even solve the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Proposed solutions should care about how powerful Ermor is. If you destroy or augment their competitiveness too much you end up right back at square one, an Ermor free multiplayer. That seems like a wasted effort.

• Locked thread