Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
IMPORTANT!!!!

Claiming a throne is not the same as capturing one. To claim it, you need to put a level 3 priest or pretender/disciple onto the same province. There will be a special monthly action called CLAIM THRONE. Once you claim it you may get neat bonuses. Some thrones you do not need to claim to get all their bonuses, but you still need to claim them for throne points.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Arcane Probing Evo 3
Bowl a Blood Blo 2
Haruspex Thau 3
Augury Thau 3
Gnome Lore Thau 4
Auspex Thau 4
Dark Knowledge Con 3
Voice of Apsu Con 4
Voice of Tiamat Con 5
Acashic Knowledge Con 6

All of them require two in their respective paths, except for Dark Knowledge, Bowl of Blood, Arcane Probing (only 1) and Acashic Knowledge (3 astral)

amuayse fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
SANTA MARIIIIIIAAAAAAA

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I love the repeat recruitment option so much. Watching all these troops pour out like fresh baked cookies makes me happy, which evens out due to the absurdly long construction times.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What's weirder is the research. It's not that hard to get to level 3 in any path, but after that it's really really difficult.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Line formation calvary charges do look pretty cool.

Also another important note. Low level Conjurgation has been BUFFED to the extreme.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There's a very powerful tier item that can increase the range of rituals.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
This is a rather interesting replacement for dwarven hammer. It's a very powerful item, so that requires a buttload of research.
It gives a forge bonus of 1 but it's also an irremovable miscellaneous item.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Another interesting item. The Disease Grinder gives a unit that equips it the "disease grinder" tag. It heals one unit in a province of disease and gives you a free death gem. Not a temporary death gem, a real death gem.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The First Anvil is a miscellaneous unique that gives a dude the Master Smith tag, which allows the guy's paths to be boosted for forging. Similar to Forge of the Ancients. It doesn't stack if you already have Master Smith like on the Forge Lord pretender. Sadly though, it does not answer the question of whether the hammer or anvil came first.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think it would be useful if you got a castle full of old men researchers.
A neat thing about the copper arm. It gives you another arm slot.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just realized. If you have a Destroyer of World pretender and you put a bunch of copper arms and give it gloves of the gladiator...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's probably the transparency that's loving with your head. Being able to see through the menus is kinda neat, but sorta disconcerting too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Fuligin posted:

What're the new nations like?
Bertyos is good at everything...as long as they can get their coastal fort only slow-to-recruit mages up.
Vanarus is Vanheim with Bogarus's spells but with WEREBEARS!
EA Machaka has a bunch of diversity. Pygmies, brave elephants, and giga niggas.
Lemuria is extra-spooky ghost version of Ashen Empire.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Earth boosters seem to be nerfed as well. On the other hand, pikes+line formation can mow through indies extremely well.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

Hm, I have some money and I liked the last one, think I might preorder this. Real-life stuff screwed me over a bit when I tried to play with goons a year or so ago, but fortunately that stuff's taken care of.

Since we're discussing whether or not nations are still good/bad, is Caelum still self-defeating with their unique stuff? They were neat as hell but them more or less killing themselves sucked.

Well no more insane raiding strategies involving Eagle Kings. Just Mammoths and Seraph Researchers.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Pumping out all those troops with repeat recruitment makes me happy. Like a bunch of freshly made cookies. Smell that new troop smell.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The only thing that seems like a weakness is magic duel. But early on, most people won't have that, so just set your monolith to blink or just stick him out way in front. The best thing about this though is that he can now wield Scepter of Dark Regency.

How are u posted:

It seems like a lot of the changes they've made to the game are mean to de-emphasize supercombatants and promote conventional armies and battlemagic in the end game. I think that's cool!
Somewhat. Since research is MUCH harder at high levels, you're going to have to choose between getting big dudes with Conjurgation or awesome gear with Construction. I guess it depends more on what nation you have now.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 4, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well at least there's no unrest from them dying. Guess that Kool-Aid must be tasty.
:)

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 4, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ogres seem to get pooped on easily by anyone with decent evo. But they can kill 90% of any nation's infantry and most cavalry too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you install the mods? The old method doesn't seem to work.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thematically, I like it. Old Roman Gods vs Christianity and all.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
If you're going the Evo route, Flamen are pretty decent.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
When a guru/yogi dies of old age it has a chance of +1 for your dominion. But most of the time, their death is violent so they become other units.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
They mainly come back as lesser white ones.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I thought this event was kind of funny.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 5, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ehh, the Illwinter guys are amazing at making content but they couldn't balance their way out of a Pong clone. So ultimately whatever the game does to gemgens and boosters and spell paths doesn't matter that much as long as it's moddable, because that's where all the changes I'll actually be playing with come from anyways.

Well it's no secret that they like some nations over others.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
CBM resolves lots of issues thankfully. On the plus side, early summon spam will now become a thing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I didn't mind the tweaks that got rid of awful gem-gen and hammer rushing. The boosts to the underpowered nations like Agartha and MA Ulm were nice too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like DE. It's sorta what Brutal Doom is to Vanilla Doom. Everything does more damage, especially you.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm still getting used to the fact that TONS of indies now use items and gems.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Did Awesome Sites ever get fixed up?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I approve of 200 hp Paladins and explosive Priests in CBM 1.95.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 5, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
drat, the #bonusspells # is a good way to get killed through fatigue.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Do you guys think that Luck +1 is worth getting? Compared to Dominions 3, there are 1500 events compared to 500. Even if I set events to rare and not put any points into turmoil and luck, I get events about 2/3rds of the time.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 6, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
"The repell system is reworked.
Long weapons are now actually useful. With several long weapons in a square and a low mrl unit attacking you can be pretty sure no one attacks you. So go for barbarians and animals with your pikes. Pikes might well defeat sword and shield units of similar skill lvls.
Difference in weapon length is important (up to 3 i think)."

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1562&st=15

Ulm's pike and axemen are REALLY good now.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Nah, the AI is still pretty dumb-dumb. Fun to experiment in though.
Anyways, what do you guys think about having teammates specialize in spell schools? Conjurgation, Construction, and Evocation seems like a good combo.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 6, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Anyone doing a nation mod? I'm working on one based on Hawaiian mythos. Almost done with the initial stuff, just need to add unique pretenders and fix up a few sprites.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/an8a2m7i9xni1n4/Sawaiiki+0.6.rar
Forgot to add, it's for Dom3. Dom4 is still a bit glitchy right now.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I learned much of what I know from this Let's Play.
http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/Update%2001/

• Locked thread