Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Is there a way to patch the beta or do you have to download the whole client to play the newest release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I remember having ridiculous expansion and rolling over everyone with CBM W9 Black Hunters and then they just kept making Machaka stronger and stronger :allears:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Speleothing posted:

It's easy to id the evil factions in the game, but the good guys are harder to highlight.

Yeah all of the gods and nations are some shade of "evil" by modern standards, just compare the Fountain of Blood's description text to the description of the outwardly more benign Oracle. All of the nations are trying to enslave free peoples and exterminate other faiths, there's no diplomatic or science victory and the world's mortal population will almost always drop dramatically over the course of a game, its cool

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

catobleps are my favorite dom3 summon after Ozelotl, you gotta be careful where you position them but theyre so cool

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tulip posted:

I'm pretty sure TheDemon has a picture from when Catorjekla;jf had AOE attacks but i can't find it in the old threads.

did they take out the aoe death gaze? :smith:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

These are probably the images you're thinking of, iirc they're from a mod game where a lot of the summon spells were made more efficient (catoblepi being a rare case of the unit actually being sort of worth the gems to begin with)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

idk, pretty sure I posted them on these forums. I think it was Demon's Dominions Enhanced mod so maybe there was a seperate thread for that?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

theres actually a lot more than you can see in the picture, probably at least 9

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What's up with EA/MA Pangaea losing access to carrion reanimation spells? Saving up death gems or hoping for N1D1 wolf tribe shamans to build a carrion factory added a cool facet to Pangaea and it's not like they removed the blood summons from MA Mictlan

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

how does the new resistance interact with stamina damage from spells? if you have 15 resistance and get hit by a 10 damage lightning attack, is the fatigue damage negated as well?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Just a head's up, 3.99h has a bugged event that spams 70ish huscarls on any province with 2 or 3 misfortune, might want to hold off on starting mp games til its fixed

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

afaik it's an exploding die roll, so you could conceivably take stamina damage from a fire aura +1 unit even if you have 75 fire resistance, it's just not very likely

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah, there are enough quality of life fixes built in that I can't see many goons wanting to stick with Dom3. Stuff like being able to shift-click troops and view both incoming and stationary positioning in the Y-menu is really nice

No idea on the price but I don't think it will go up after release - there was a "preorder discount" that went away that ended sometime around the original launch date

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Edit: Tried forever to get Pan's songs to work, they look so good on paper! Just wouldn't happen on the battlefield though.

yeah, don't even bother trying to script them - sometimes a dryad or pan will save themselves from indies with a clutch Tune of Fear but it's not something you can plan a strategy around, dryads and pans need gear and higher level buffs to be sent into melee or they'll just die

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

it can take a lot more than an hour depending on the size of the map and how many fronts you're fighting on :I

seriously dont play games on the Faerun map, dont do it, at least not often. A lot of the time huge map games will come down to someone getting sick of 3 hour turns and halfassing things/conceding

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Just a head's up in case anyone missed it, Dawn of a New Age LP started this morning and has 9 hours remaining on the timer

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kylaer posted:

Unless it's changed from Dom3, the Crystal Shield will boost holy.

I read on the desura forums that power of the spheres doesn't boost holy anymore, and in dom3 the crystal shield just cast power of the spheres at the start of combat, but I haven't actually tested it in dom4 myself

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

goodness posted:

Ok, so I never played this game but looked at it a couple times during D3.

Are there any great guides for getting into the game, and also are there any mods that are widely used that I should get?

Any other advice?

so far there aren't any major mods that I know of, there was a very popular dom3 mod called Conceptual Balance Mod (CBM) that I assume will get rereleased for dom4 but I don't really know anything about the dev's plans. I know Ninjadebugger is planning to resurrect some of his dom3 mods for dom4, too

for now your best bet is to learn vanilla dominions 4 by playing against the AI, there are enough mechanics to make it interesting. I don't recommend learning the game as MA Ermor/LA Ermor/LA R'lyeh, they're weird and different to play and a lot of MP matches will ban them, but until you understand the game thoroughly playing against the AI is pretty fun go nuts

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 17, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

blood hunting is complicated, here is a basic guide http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Land_of_Demons/K%27s_guide_and_Blood_mini-guide#Mini-Blood_Guide

blood hunting has changed a bit in dominions 4 because PD decreases unrest and you can't set taxation to 0 anymore, but the basics are the same probably, I haven't really tested it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

horrors kill everything eventually, even an absurdly geared berserk regenerating tartarian or pretender in +10 gift of health dominion will eventually get cursed by kurgi and then drop their magebane because scabiel or umor knocked their arms off, or they'll fail a MR-vs-death and die even with 35+ MR, horrors bad (and yeah it's actually pretty easy to get your pretender so horror marked that they just get owned every time they're recalled)

the only sure way to escape horror death is to cast returning whenever you're attacked, but you need astral 2 and 2 pearls to do that and you can't cast returning in your capital

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

against doom horrors you really want to kill or incapacitate the horror in the first round: the Devourer of Souls' Devour Soul always kills any (non-mindless?) unit it hits, but first it has to hit, and a lot of doom horrors have more than enough defense skill to reliably dodge a ATT 14 attack. Also, Devour Soul only hits one target. The eater of gods has 3 forms so it has to be killed 3 times, and you have to fight a bunch of lesser horrors too if you get attacked by this guy:

(this is all dom3 info but I'm assuming these dudes haven't changed too much)

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 26, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I played MA Ermor/Ashen Empire a bit in SP, here's how they're different from dom3:

+Knights of the Unholy Sepulcher can heal after battles now if you give them a death bless, previously all of your KotUS would eventually fall apart regardless of bless. Depending on your bless a group of 5 KotUS with some chaff can clear a whole lot of indie provinces, they have great defense and never get tired so indies have a really hard time hitting them
-No more overtaxing, this is actually a HUGE hit to Ermor's gold income, in your dominion there was really no penalty for setting taxes to 200 everywhere because the unrest/poploss from 200% tax was nothing compared to the lost income from even a single turn's worth of ermor domkill, especially in higher dominion
-Ermor's capital now starts at ~500 population instead of the usual 30k. Again, huge loss of income in the early game, which makes it much harder to build the keeps and temples you need to reach critical mass
+800 gold keeps can now be built everywhere (previously it was 800 gold keeps in forests, 1000 gold keeps elsewhere, with no apparent different in troop quality)
-800 gold keeps now take 5 turns to build instead of 3, this is a huge deal since that's 2 more turns of getting ghouls and zombies from a province instead of the cool skeletal legionaries and knights you need to win
-Luck 3/Turmoil 3 seems to give less income than it did in dom3 (I haven't tried luck 3/turm 3 since the patch that improved events to maybe this isn't true anymore?)

Ermor is still really strong but they're definitely weaker than they were in dom3. The biggest problem I have with Ermor, and the reason I didn't play them in the LP, is that killing Ermor still doesn't get you very much: the 15 death gems from the capital is very nice but for the most part you're just getting a bunch of empty provinces that will maybe, eventually become worthwhile later on in the game if you site search them, and site searching magic is way more of a hassle than it was in dom3 (almost all site searching is more expensive and the range of the rituals is limited.) Basically starting next to MA/LA Ermor or LA R'lyeh is a death sentence 99% of the time, even if you beat them, which I think is dumb.

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 27, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Purgatory is very good, if Ermor tries to invade you when you have 5+ candles their decent troops will just evaporate. If you're in a position where MA/LA Ermor has a ton of temples and is pushing dominion everywhere then you're probably boned anyway

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

(It helps that Inuit/Aleut mythology is so loving creepy. A monster made from child and animal bones? Yes please.)

wikipedia posted:

The making of a tupilaq started most often at night, in secrecy. The shaman (angakok) would don the anorak backwards, with the hood over his face, and engage in sexual contact with the bones used to make a tupilaq, singing and chanting during the entire process, which could take several days

:stonkhat:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if all your commanders rout your army will rout, commanders make a morale check if they are damaged so if you only have one commander leading a bunch of dudes it's a bad idea to put him in harm's way unless he's real tough

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Asehujiko posted:

Can Hydras be Enlarged or does it only work on size 5 and lower?

That's actually a really good question, can enlarge bump you up to size 7?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pomp posted:

Well, I thought I had that battle in hand, then lost half my army in exchange for 19 units. Turns out I have no idea what to do about elephants! I'm Ermor, so I don't have archers to fall back on. Should I just set everyone to fire at large monsters and let their army come to me?

what age of Ermor? If you're MA/LA I wouldn't bother trying to use fire orders, just park your army in the rear of your side of the field and let the elephants charge into your blob to get slayed without priest or infantry support. If you're EA I recommend buying a bunch of gladiators: vs 15+ elephants you have to expect a lot of friendly casualties and gladiators are perfect for the job

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

imo new bv isn't really a buff to mictlan because s9f9w9 is still better

The problem with mictlan is that jags and eagle warriors are too cheap, there is zero reason not to tank your scales for a tribless. MA mictlan was the strongest dom3 nation imo

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 1, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tulip posted:

What's the logic? I'd think archers+battlefield evo is a bigger overall threat to jagspam than...master enslave?

S9 is for Twist Fate, it means way less attrition in the early game which in turn means you're much more likely to have the forts you need to crank out 50+ eagle warriors every turn. B9 is a cool counter to battlefield evo and it lets your hard hitting units hit even harder, I think if I play mictlan again I'll go with B9S9W9 but if I had to choose between b9f9w9 and s9f9w9 I'd choose s9f9w9

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah, some super old units, like vastnesses, become nearly useless due to huge old age penalties (turning a vastness into a humanoid mummy is a silly idea to begin with)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

LordSloth posted:

P.S. On an unrelated note, the official forums have the most hilarious joking suggestion for an Agartha bless that I've ever heard.
"My suggestion is to try Argatha with a N9 B9 bless. Nothing says hate like that.... (I'm a large pinata, hit me please...)".

I... must try this.
I've tried it, I wasn't impressed

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

Guys, LA got a new hero, he is INSANE

how many insanity points does he have

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Diabl0658 posted:

All hail the new overlords of the world, MA Pagartha.

whatm akes this happen

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Penguingo posted:

I just had a random event in Spring of year 2, where an animist tried to take back a province from me.

He showed up with this :gonk:

now see, THIS is a job for Beast Mastery. Cast it quick, before the animist dies to poison aura and they all rout

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah crab hybrids are great, just try not to buy a lot more than you need to control the oceans:they're useless if you don't need to defend sea provinces

A good way to discard income eating aquatic troops is to give a starspawn some leadership gear and have it gateway everyone into a land province with a lab, but you need to own a land province with a lab first

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

are there a lot of people opposed to banning ermor? I think that usually the only reason ermor is enabled is because people don't know how to disable it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BoT still kills pop and generates unrest iirc, I would personally consider it grounds for breaking a NAP

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mictlan is the strongest nation of every age imo. Really good early expansion, ultra gold efficient units from every fort with a temple and the best suite of national summons in the game. MA gives up easy blood access for amazing cheap recruit anywhere flyers

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 29, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I Love You! posted:

How do you deal with a Blood 9 bless on flagellants? Is there a MR check to dodge the damage, or something, or do you just have to lose armies against them no matter what?

there's a MR check. Ranged units with above average MR should kill them in droves and even normal MR archers will dish out a lot more damage than they receive unless these are B9S9 flagellants, in which case it's probably a wash, but you should still use archers. Probably don't want to throw mages at them, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ZeroCount posted:

There's a new patch apparently

It fixes the mindless siege bug

:psyduck:

quote:

It was possible to attack across unfrozen rivers sometimes

I fucken knew it :mad:

• Locked thread