Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So what are the most straightforward ways to deal with skellie spam in general? As a fairly new player it seems like shaping my army to deal with this tends to lose to other things. Also I'm bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Lots of banish. If they don't have enough blockers some fliers set to attack turn 1 can get them if you are the defender. Banish scales extremely well with H level so if you have the ability to communion them up, do so.

So having one uber priest banishing is better than having a bunch of lil guys banishing?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh, I didn't realize communion masters could double up on slaves.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I've been going through the mod forums and am having trouble finding poo poo - is there a mod that just makes all spells available as if researched and/or free? I would love to be able to test all the spells out for shits and giggles.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm trying to find a list of the assassins in the game - specifically looking for nations with national assassins, and if there are any sacred assassins/summonable assassins with sacred. Anyone know some off the top of your head?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Smerdyakov posted:

Monkeypaw is pretty much done--it's turn 15 and Ermor already cast BoT. Turn 15, seriously. Can we please start considering games with ermor to be "gimmick games" rather than "standard games?" There appear to be an infinite number of internet tough-guys that hate the idea of pussifying the game by banning a nation that's totally game ruining but I solemnly swear to never play another game with MA Ermor again*.

*Unless I'm Ermor, because gently caress you all.

What is BoT? And how does Ermor manage to get that far ahead, their mages are free I take it or something?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Wask posted:

As a super new player how can I actually get better to be able to play MP?

In the week I've owned Dom 4 I can now consistently crush the AI with either a strong bless nation, MA Ermor, or the LA ghost guys. That's mostly because the AI is completely dumb and will try to invade provinces my PD can defend, they get totally smashed by blessed giants/jaguar guys/warriors of five elements, or they don't do anything about my dominion bleeding them dry. I still don't really have any high level strategies beyond make sacred units or push dominion.

I know little about what I should actually research or how to use battle mages, useful summons, path boosting, item crafting, or building SCs other than the basics of the concepts from reading some forum posts. I've been playing more T'ien Chi as suggested but by the time magic seems to start to get useful those crazy archers and sacred units have already smashed everything.

Play with a rainbow commander without a bless strat so you have to use more powerful spells and path boosters etc.

Sadly the AI doesn't really require or reward magic use all that much but it's a start. Throwing yourself into a MP blitz game can help a lot, 2-3 people, maybe an AI or two, and see how different the game is when someone is massing D1 skelly spammers and another is going amphibious and gobbling up underwater border nations and you've got to actually react to stuff. I'm still terrible but even just doing 1-2 MP games has completely changed my understanding of the game. Honestly about 90% of the gameplay is either useless or pointless in SP.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ZeroCount posted:

I'm coming in here a bit late but I'm genuinely not trying to troll. I'm a very new player and I figured that a BoT rush might be something workable and beneficial. I didn't even know about the siege bug when I picked this nation, which makes me feel a bit lovely

It's really sad because Ermor is a really cool nation with neat mechanics and is fun to play. However it definitely seems to break pretty much all the rules of the game and can shut players out of the game completely even if they aren't really doing anything wrong. They were the first nation I messed with when I got the game but they have some really serious balance/fun problems.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I saw someone in another forum post that there was a wiki for the Spell Gift of Reason to show what hidden magic paths units had. But I can't find it after searching a whole bunch. Does anyone know where this might lie?

Edit: Is is also possible to cast a spell that you are short a spell level to cast by expending a gem?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 31, 2013

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
If someone is coming at me with an army and I'm trying to combat it with Seeking Arrow, do I have to aim where the army is currently or where I think it will be next turn?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
How do you deal with a Blood 9 bless on flagellants? Is there a MR check to dodge the damage, or something, or do you just have to lose armies against them no matter what?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^ but why? That thing looks like it could annihilate entire armies without any support with virtually no work and no gem cost. Unless you're just loving around in debug mode, I guess.

Some communion questions because gently caress Everything:

1. Does it matter the order I arrange my communion guys? I read about how slaves cannot act after a master has taken a turn (if the master cast a spell) but I think things maybe changed for dom5? Should I make sure my masters go last, or first, or does it matter?

2. Can only my master cast spells? Can my slaves still use the reverse communion bullshit or was that taken out?

3. Does it matter the order dudes join the communion? IF my cast order is like Comm Slave => Slave => Master => Slave => Master is that totes fine?

4. Is there a range on joining the communion or can dudes be all across the battlefield?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 2, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

I want to be 100% certain that I can't bring the faction down to at least the top end of the 'balance scale' so to speak before I give up on that goal, we'll see.

In that case you might need to look at the things you "intended to be ridiculous". Because when you design a faction in any game to have something that is dramatically stronger than competing things, they need to be severely deficient in other areas to make up for it and you don't seem like that's your goal, since you've got the mindset that since these are half-stone dwarf men they have to be stronger with higher stats than human counterparts. And things like the Ursa Lords are so far outside the realm of what the game intends that it seems like there is no way to balance them without cutting them entirely - even at exorbitant cost it seems like you just stacked all the cool abilities onto a single unit at once just to see how awesome it could be, which is fun but also doesn't fit into a game with checks and balances.

To put it in perspective, there is literally no situation where I would not be hiring as many Ursa Lords as I could no matter how much you charged for them. I would build my entire strategy around converting gems into money to maximize my Ursa Lord production.

I haven't messed with your mod yet but you seem to have approached the faction as a whole without looking at the individual pieces and comparing them to other existing nations and designing them with pros/cons in mind, which is fine if you're building a SP mod but doesn't really work for MP.

Sort of like Ermor

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 2, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Do slaves still always get exactly a +2 boost to paths?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I signed up for goon game thing, though I used my Steam ID instead of Desura link, hopefully that's ok?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tedsternator

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
What is best way to deal with Enslave spam on a SC?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm in for a MP game if we have a host for sure. I also obsessively take my turns and prefer a blitz style of play if there are other people who like this sort of thing, but am happy to join a long game as well.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So a question on fatigue.

I'm looking at spells that costs say 200 or 300 fatigue.

I'm assuming to cast that I need to get the fatigue cost down to 100 or less, meaning either a caster that is two levels higher than the base requirement or a communion, right?

Or is it possible to cast a spell that will bump Fatigue up to above 200? or is there a limit in how far over cap you can go?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^ units with mapmove 2 that could go around a river if they owned the province in question, except in this case they didn't, but it still triggered a flag that said A-OK GO AHEAD AND MOVE THERE

Flavahbeast posted:

I fucken knew it :mad:

I thought i was crazy

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Urban Sorcerer posted:

What would the best thing to wish for be? Other than more wishes?

definitely "whatever"

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ilanin posted:

Gamersgate sale dropped the price below £10, which was low enough to get me to see if I'll get on with Dominions. I expect I'll love trying to figure out tactics and working out battlemagic, and then it'll come down to if I can get my brain around the grand strategy and put up with the micro....

I will be avoiding the freespawn nations, I think. Any reason I shouldn't use Man for my initial forays against the AI? I am under the impression they're kind of bad, but also that this shouldn't really matter for SP and I like the flavour.

Oh and hi brainwrinkle, I'm an actual person, and stuff.

edit: OK, having attempted to make an actual build for Man I probably figured out why I might not want to use them, namely that they don't appear to have any sacreds worth blessing so I can't exactly use standard Dom4 strategies. I have a bunch of non-StR mages (though I can see I may want some of the StR Crones eventually once I've got another fort up) which is probably a good thing but my basic troops seem fairly weak (I'm experimenting to find out whether the Logrian Warriors are better than my extremely generic Spearmen, not sure there's a huge amount in it). That would suggest I want an Awake SC pretender, but I can't do that and fix my total lack of magic diversity without pretty poor scales. My first attempt came up with something like Red Dragon, F4 D3 Dom 7 Turmoil 1 Production 3 Drain 1, which doesn't seem quite right but eh, it's a first attempt. What did I miss?

First off, go Drain 2. There's no downside for your researchers and you get more points.

Second off, bless strats aren't really "standard" so much as "important to be able to deal with", and Man has a good answer to them in the form of Tower Guards that let you play your own game. No one really wants to throw themselves against a wall of heavily armed/armored crossbowmen and they'll all-purpose enough that if you just make them and set them to hold position and fire you're probably going to do fine in the early bless rush phases with only a reasonable amount of support.

Third off Wait are you MA or LA

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Is there a way to search the DB for all units that Generate Gems? A basic search doesn't seem to work.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, the gold standard for LA indies is the 8 res crossbowman in ring mail. Depending on your nation they can be worth forting up to get lots of.

I mean assuming no hoburg gatling squads

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So I've been running tests on the vampire queen, and despite her tooltip she does not appear to gain any increase in her dismal freespawn rate regardless of domscore. After a few dozen tests I ended with between 0 and 8 vampires by turn 37 regardless of my domscore being 1 or 10. If there is an effect from domscore, it's very small and would take a very, very long time to test.

Seriously, what the gently caress

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 13, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
My god just post a chart no one wants to do that math (i like math and i still don't want to do it)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, I honestly feel like SCs need a bit of a buff right now, since it seems highly uneconomical to really ever bother stacking things on a guy. It's just too easy for any path, even low level mages, to off an SC with fairly minimal effort when you could achieve the same effect with a few cheap thugs/mages and none of the cost.

I'm not sure what's needed to make SCs a bit more viable (resists? more hp? ability to shrug off 1hitKOs?) but definitely they've been lackluster in the games I've played so far, to the point where I don't even really think much about them since a counter is probably already in my back pocket somewhere assuming I even really encounter the situation.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man so i had no idea that Call the Worm that Walks is UNBELIEVABLY powerful

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Is it?

I always found the mage you get kinda underwhelming, do they have some kind of incredible second form?

They freespawn large quantities of bugs in battle constantly starting with autosummon at the beginning of combat, respawn in a random part of the map constantly when they die (and then start spawning bugs which totally ruins enemy scripting), invuln + tons of resists and reinvig/regen, totally ruin enemy ranged and spellcasting and create constant crappy tanks, etc etc etc

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

Unlike normal Immortal things when they're killed in battle there's a 75% chance they will reform at full hp in a random location and keep on trucking. On average you need to kill a Worm that Walks 4 times before it stops coming back and if it was in friendly dom then it just respawned in the cap anyway.

And they respawn in battle with bugs. Sometimes in the middle of enemy mages or archers. Enemy scripting goes NUTS

edit: also they can get the "Lost Head" affliction which has pretty much 0 impact on them whatsoever since they already have blindsight

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 24, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

Yeah the effect ten or so Worms that Walk positioned at the fore of your forces has on an orderly enemy formation is pretty impressive.

Which seems like a pretty heavy expenditure until you realize they can't die and are casting storm of thorns and poo poo and paying their weight in murders

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Flython posted:

Do you know if this gets you a steam code or is it a standalone download?

Pretty sure you can activate it on steam

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jabarto posted:

drat, I wasn't too intrigued by them before but I sure as hell am now.

They're definitely a summon that's better in multiples. I mean what isn't, but 3 or 4 of them can really clog up a battlefield with garbage incredibly fast and consistently. I recommend playing around with them in debug mode for a good time.

I wish they were thaum 7 but they might honestly be too good if you could get them that early.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
You should be able to get them approved anyway as long as they coo

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Flython posted:

Are there any mods people would recommend for Dominions 4? Stuff like balance changes or AI improvements.

Get the debug mod to test things. In terms of gameplay and balance and stuff, since the game is really intended to be played multiplayer it's more along the lines of "install whatever mods the current multiplayer game is using".

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I would actually argue that the stupid blood global that has demons seducing commanders isn't totally useless, since it's sort of a throwaway to cancel out other globals and actually tends to jack a province or so every turn for the rest of the game since it basically bypasses PD. It's also funny as hell and that has to stand for something.

And the death global that causes disease to anything that's taken damage is absolutely crippling if you like being a huge fucker and sending in 1 mage to cast foul vapors or some other 1 damage battlefield spell and then retreat a few turns later.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Torrannor posted:

What about Forge of the Ancients?

It's good buy it

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
All these arguments are good and all

but picking MA Ermor in a noob game, really

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheDemon posted:

They're all terrible arguments because despite losing a lot you're still a mile better than a brand new player.

I lose constantly, lose wars constantly, and run terrible gimmicks sometimes. That does not make me qualified for a new player game. It has not made me qualified for a new player game since finishing my second game or thereabouts.

But the best way to bring new players into the game and enrich the community is to experience the fun of an experienced player grinding them into the dust with MA Ermor in what is sure to be an enjoyable gaming experience for all

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Big Sean posted:

How have ranged weapons changes affected the usability of SCs? I'm only fooling around with SP (having played significant amount of Dom3 MP), but after watching my kitted Ice Devil get embarrassed by an AI commander w/ black bow of botulf, I am seeing a lot of challenges to effectively using any type of SC against a human player, outside of maybe raiding roles.

Have people been able to use them effectively? I know the resistance changes have been pretty heavily discussed, but ranged weapons / shields seems much more important.

I haven't found SCs to be worth a drat in dom4. They die to a lot of poo poo and it's virtually impossible to make their resist magic a sure thing. I'd recommend using them as traditional thugs. They can be fine if part of an army and you also have high-hp units to draw spell fire, but on their own they're just going to get worked against a lot of different compositions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

Holy poo poo, Kitfox. Why must you put like 50 pd everywhere.

He's playing the long con. After 5 or 6 games of that no one will attack him, ever

edit: seriously kitfox i hate you so much

• Locked thread