Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jBrereton posted:

As it currently stands, the only things you can mod about forts is their cost on a nation-by-nation basis, what 'era' each faction has, and how much of a resource bonus they give you.

drat. If I could mod the admin value on upgrades, that could be nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Neif posted:

Not being able to get a dominion foothold in the eastern part of C'tis (your northern border with C'tis) was very much a godsend for him and has allowed him to bounce back to some degree as most of his holdings are untouced from my Dominion. He actually took my fort up there last turn which I was able to do very little about.

I pushed my dom very hard, for just that reason. I knew I was going to take it in the teeth attacking Ermor the moment I met them, but without doing that I would have been even worse off in the long run.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

FnF posted:

Tl,dr; Vanheim didn't break a NAP, he waited until the agreed 10-turn truce had lapsed. If that's bad play, please tell me what I should have done instead!

Honestly, as someone who has won a game as Ashen Empire Ermor, I neither asked for, or expected anyone to keep, diplomatic deals with me. All the normal rules go out the window when fighting the Apocalypse Made Manifest.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jBrereton posted:

Having just tested this, you can change the popkill to anything you like, but the nation starts off with a bit less than 2000 population. It'll rise from 1800ish with Growth scales, though :v:

What they really need is a way to change #poppergold on a per nation basis. That way you could cut Ermor's tax income to, say, 10% of everyone else, and tone down the popkill to match.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
CBM was a textbook example of feature creep. There were a ton of good ideas in it, but the lack of a Fluffy Project Dictator ruling over documentation/focus with a iron fist meant it was doomed.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Excellent. Time to make all my friends get the game. :v:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

AfroSquirrel posted:

Increased research costs made some pretty big changes the game's balance. Now that battlemagic takes longer to research, blesses are so much stronger than before that not taking one would be a risky gambit (in MP, at least).

This is not true. What it does mean, however, is that you have to plan for dealing with blesses from nations that wouldn't have done it before.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Neruz posted:

I don't follow?

#poppergold is the modding command that sets how much population you need, at neutral scales, to get one gold per turn. It is a game-wide command, so the fix of being able to take Ermor and radically lower their income is not available.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

dis astranagant posted:

I have to ask: why Gath?

Blessable recruit-anywhere troops, is my guess.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Excelsiortothemax posted:

With all of that set, does it seem viable or am I missing something obvious?

That's utterly terrible in almost all ways. Man doesn't have good sacred troops, so the W9 is a waste. You can't use your god as a supercombatant, because he has no awe with only Deom 6. You've cut your gold income for no good reason by not going for Order 3, limiting your ability to spam troops and forts.

Some better options:
  • Awake Volla of the Bountiful Forest, W4N4, Dom 8, Order 3, Production 3, Drain 3. You have an awake researcher who gives you access to two paths that Man lacks by default, along with better gold income and a solid dominion score for pushing out those scales.
  • Imprisoned Oracle, S7, Dom10, Order 3, Production 3, Growth 3, Luck 3, Drain 3. The "gently caress you, eat my scales" build. All the gold in the world, combined with access to Rings of Sorcery/Wizardry for the end game, as well as a good Dispel caster.
  • Awake Dragon, 4 in whatever path comes on the flavor of dragon you want, Dom 9, Order 3, Production 3, Misfortune 1, Drain 3. Dragons are great for early expanding, and O3P3 still gives you great income, even with the need to buy more PD to deal with bad events.
  • Dormant Master Lich, D9, Dominion 7, Order 3, Production 3, Drain 3. A bit of a comedy option - you get an immortal death superpower for the late game, letting you summon up all the other death casters you could need, while not having him locked up for too long. Dropping down a couple of D levels and raising your dom score to 9 would also be good.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

JerryLee posted:

I won't say that I played very well in that game, because I clearly didn't, even given your early-game and map-related superiority. I more or less joined the last available team by default because I wanted to play in the big game, so I ended up with a nation and strategy that I'm really quite mediocre with (even moreso than I am in general, I mean). Also, I don't think it's wrong to say that Team Scales probably had the worst "gimmick" by far of any team in the game, mostly because a bless (which basically all three of the other teams ended up taking in one form or another?) is such an insane amount of value in a disciples game.

True. Next time I do a mega-team game, I'll go for a slightly less extreme strat - a more balanced approach with a single bless plus good scales will work better. But that will be after I go through and finish tweaking Glory of the Gods - there's too many mountains, and there needs to be more connectivity within each team's territory. Adding province connections between "portal" provinces will go a good way to cleaning that up.

Probably also going to make the eastern sea suck more in general, so the advantage of being able to raid south is mitigated somewhat.

EDIT: I know that the start locations for a couple of the nations on TeamScales need to be changed a bit - did the other teams have any particular start locations that you found to be a problem?

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 31, 2014

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jsoh posted:

I'm pretty sure I do.

This man understands how things should be.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

builds character posted:

Vanheim's start way up north is terrible because he has no cash ever. As a general rule, while it looks cool to have a wasteland, having 10-15 2k pop provinces is awful to play with. Make 1/2 the provinces at least start with more pop.

If you can give me province numbers, that'd be handy - though I suppose I can just do a 28 player all-human SP game and see the starts from there. I'll probably take the same approach I'm doing with my UpdatedCradle map and put some guaranteed resource/income sites into areas with lots of low pop provinces, combined with adding some cities to the map and marking them as farmland.

Is there a good, detailed breakdown of just what the effects of various terrains are on pop numbers? I've been doing it by trial and error so far.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The big blob of waste/mountains that are in the middle of the map need to be similarly touched.

Some of that will stay - but I'll put roads through and make those provinces plains for faster movement.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Flavahbeast posted:

5 magic sites??? I didn't even think that was possible

Four has a higher cap on sites than three did.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've been trying my hand at some mapmaking. The idea I started with is that this is the "historical" map of the territory of Ermor:

The darker red-brown color is where there will be hills/highlands, dark blue-green is swamp.

I want to do hills/mountains/trees in the same style as the Jason Lutes maps (Cradle/Glory), but GIMP is being difficult - it looks like the only way to get what I want is to make them as brushes, and then be very careful not to drag the mouse when putting them onto the map. Which is pretty dumb.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

StoryTime posted:

2: Use the brushes, but create 2 different views of the map image. One should be zoomed in less, so you can see your changes in the general area you're working on. The second one that you use to actually click on with the brush, should be zoomed way in, so you don't need super accurate mouse work to hit just a single pixel. Brushes will be quicker, but you'll be constantly overwriting existing image data, making mistakes harder to fix.

Everything's in layers already - that image is actually five separate visible layers in GIMP (along with another four layers used during terrain generation and a pair of layer masks). Creating custom brushes actually works out pretty well, other than one thing: If I resize the brush at all from the size I created it at, it ends up with grey and black pixels around the edges from scaling.

This is frustrating.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

StoryTime posted:

Okay, I can see you have it figured out, it's just the GIMP brushes that are the actual problem. To tell you the truth, I never really got the hang of those either. My understanding of how brushes should work originates from Deluxe Paint III for the Amiga, and the GIMP brushes are something else. I shot you a PM, perhaps we can figure something out. I mean, it should be trivial to create an image of a map with an image manipulation program. Even when a GNU is involved.

More specifically, it's how they react to being scaled. This means I can't be as lazy as I would be otherwise, and need to create more hill/mountain/tree brushes to mix together. It's entirely workable, though, and once I have those I can use them on other maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Hmm. Has anyone put together an AI No Recruit mod for Dom5 during the testing period? Trying things out in SP without one is probably going to have the same problems as Dom3/4.

• Locked thread