Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE

MrMoose posted:

I bought 3, but had a hard time getting into it. It just seemed way too deep and hard to learn :(

I'd like a quick start guide too. Or, even better, a noob's guide to Dominion, or Babby's First Dominion Game or something like that. Maybe even played along with an experienced player who could help me to learn the game as I made plays.
This game's difficulty comes mostly from research goals and mid/endgame counters & strategies. These can be hard to learn (esp. in single-player) because games are long and human players are dastardly.

Here is a complete newbie guide multiplayer walkthrough of Babby Cthulu's First Clutchings. There are also a lot more Let's Play Dominions games around and a slew of slightly outdated guides here. You can also join irc.gamesurge.net -> #Dominions and noob it up there with questions and blitz games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

I'm down for some TestPantheon

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Army Setup Hotkeys:
You can double-click troops in the army screen ('t' key), and it will select all troops with the same name that were recruited from the same province. You can also shift-click to select multiple units or mouse-over and press 'w' to select wounded units.

For setting battle orders quickly, you can mouse-over non-commanders' orders and type h to set them to 'Hold an attack'. To specify even more detail, subsequently type shift+R to set them to 'Hold and attack rear.' You can press delete to delete a unit or commander's selected battle orders, and you can press CTRL+1 to copy a commander's orders and then 1 to paste them where your mouse is.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Get out of my swamp!

:ducksiren::getin: to my Dominions Four :ducksiren:

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Perhaps your citizens reasoned: if you can't capture these singing, naked girls then how will you handle silent, armored warriors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Smerdyakov posted:

I thought of something that's supported by the game's coding that could sort of solve this. You can have an event that triggers a new site in a province after a few turns, where that province now has a population of less than <X (say, 500, or 10% of starting value, whatever), and previously had ermor dominion of at least Y (say, 3 candles) but now has no ermor dominion.

The site could be called "New Settlements" or something and add 500 population a turn for a set/semi-random number of turns between 4 and 10, then disappear. That way, even if you're losing the dominion battle against Ermor while you're fighting them, you would know that those provinces wouldn't be worthless forever.
Good idea, I was going to suggest balancing Ermor using events along these lines. This would be even easier if events were more robust. A pool of events to incentivize attacking popkill nations could be quite balancing, for example:
  • For each tenth of Ermor's troops you kill, you get +5% chance for 1 year of an event that gives you mercs from a special anti-undead pool
  • Every time a newly captured Ermorian fort is held for 4-8 months, generate population migration events and tributes of gratitude
  • For each point of death magic on a killed, summoned Ermorian commander, gain a +1% 'bounty' gold bonus for 3 months
  • Upon the defeat of Ermor, the owner of Ermor's capitol gets a bunch of population resettling events for the next year or so
  • For each destroyed Ermorian temple, you recover the gold they spent building it

These ideas are somewhat unrealistic given the modding limitations, but perhaps they can provide food for thought.

ZLogic fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 27, 2013

• Locked thread