Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I dont think the zombie was multiple kurusu's fused, I think Hideo was accessing the collective unconsciousness that all the zombies share and saw the kurusus. Who were promptly confused as to why a non-zombie was there.

what this actually means I have no loving clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I don't think the three kurusus merged or anything; when we last saw the gasmask dude, he was unharmed and alone with the other humans, implying that he killed the other two kurusus. I guess it's the collective consciousness, yeah. Perhaps Hideo was in danger of being absorbed without actually being undead... Hell, given how he's currently head-first in an undead mutant's stomach, he's probably being absorbed in a literal sense. No idea how that could give him control over the mutant.

It seems important to me that these mutants seem to be involved with the kurusu somehow. One of them explicitly went for a kurusu while normal zombies ignore them. Maybe fusing is what normal zombies are supposed to do, and they recognise kurusu as anomalies?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's definitely not all three Kurusus put together; between the two sets of limbs and that, you know, Ezaki-Kurusu is still "alive", at most it's the two that were defeated. But since Ezaki shows up in the weird hallucination, there's also the possibility that it's none of them and just some sort of weird double-zombie. That the two defeated Kurusus showed up, though, does suggest that they're still around in some form. Unless they stick around in the hivemind after they die, I suppose.

Anyway, let's see. Hivemind thing explicitly confirmed, Hiromi's totally a Kurusu with that safe thing there, the zombies are fusing (though we don't know if they're going to the extent of the weird things in France or that was hallucinatory), and despite probably not being a Kurusu since he's so wimpy physically Hideo is somehow tapping into the hivemind while inside the maybe-Kurusu double-zombie.

Also, just marathoned through the whole series. Wow, that was quite a thing. Based on the description I was expecting, like, Hideo to go crazy vigilante or accidentally shoot his girlfriend or something. "Zombies" entered my mind before the obvious hints started showing up, like the woman who was hit by the car being confirmed as not a hallucination, but, yeah. I knew it wasn't going to be "paranoid otaku slice of life" forever, but at the start at least I wasn't quite expecting what I ended up getting.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Really no clue what in the gently caress is going on, but holy poo poo is this guy (and team, presumably, I don't really know how manga production works but I'm guessing the earlier author self-insert metacommentary is reasonably representative?*) capable of some outrageously good artwork. Any foliage, architecture, even just plain walls have detail that rivals just about anything I've ever seen.

For this volume (awesome release, by the way, thanks!), I felt the focus on the women bathing was gratuitous; though I think I get what he was trying to do with the contrast between all their situations in that moment it still seemed rather forced. But the story developments, while baffling as poo poo, sure are something. What the hell are these things?

*If I'm totally wrong about manga in general, or if this particular guy works differently, by all means feel free to correct me!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 14, 2014

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Just re-reading this series, picked up a catch. Check out this page from volume 11
Look closer at those bubbles.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sydnesider posted:

Just re-reading this series, picked up a catch. Check out this page from volume 11
Look closer at those bubbles.

drat, that is a good catch!

So if he already saw the heroes in monstrous form back then, this seems like further support for the collective consciousness; the girl is probably kurusu as well, so they're linked and he can see what she sees...? Looks like it, anyway.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Raws are out for new volume! I'm going through them now so idunno what's all in them!

GGpX
Apr 23, 2014
We just released volume 15 (along with some other stuff).

http://reader.manga-download.org/

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Well, that was certainly an eventful volume. I'm currently in the middle of a Yotsubato re-read and this certain provided... contrasting tone.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
That poor zombie guy. He helped them out to the end. :smith: Or at least what I assume was his end. It's pretty ambiguous taking everything that's happened so far into account.

And as usual this chapter had lots of pages that I just stared at. Some of them seem way too detailed. At first I thought the artist was using actual photographs filtered through Photoshop, but they seem just too clean-looking for that.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think some of the scenery with stores and stuff might be traced from photos... When they were still in Tokyo one of the set pieces was in my neighbourhood and it really freaked me out when everything started going pear shaped since I recognized the shops and buildings down to their signs.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
This series is really incredible! But I get a little frustrated at how he keeps introducing new and weird things before getting to any explanations about the old weird things!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Daler Mehndi posted:

That poor zombie guy. He helped them out to the end. :smith: Or at least what I assume was his end. It's pretty ambiguous taking everything that's happened so far into account.

And as usual this chapter had lots of pages that I just stared at. Some of them seem way too detailed. At first I thought the artist was using actual photographs filtered through Photoshop, but they seem just too clean-looking for that.

There are a fair amount of straight up traced photograph scenes. That said, there's also plenty of hand-drawn ones, and I know Kengo Hanazawa is capable of it.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

GGpX posted:

Thanks for doing this!

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

GGpX posted:

Oda picked the perfect time to tell Hideo :)

Thanks GGpX, and happy 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Spinoff? Spinoff!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-26/i-am-a-hero-manga-gets-osaka-based-spinoff/.83719

• Locked thread