Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I consider Sunny to be very similar to Seinfeld in many ways, a spiritual successor of sorts, and I guess it's no surprise that Seinfeld is my favorite show and Sunny is close behind.

But yeah, in terms of pure 20-minute episodes, Seinfeld had 180 and Sunny will hit 100 midway through this season. Seinfeld hit that milestone midway through Season 6, before Larry David even left and it was still dishing out some of the best episodes like The Race.

Sunny has a comparatively smaller but just as memorable set of regulars that make up fictional Philly, but their devotion to the lore of their own show is right up there with Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seinfeld only won Best Comedy once in its run, that made me swear off Emmys forever. Frasier is funny but no way is it 5-years-in-a-row above Seinfeld funny.

30 Rock won its first 3 seasons which I think are the best ones anyway (at least 1 and 2) after that it trails off. Never seen Modern Family.

Amazingly Arrested Development DID win an Emmy. But generally Glenn is right, it seems you have to be a part of the Hollywood/TV industry in the way that the gang isn't to win these awards. At least it wins all the Emmys in our hearts.

(Disclaimer: I've never watched the Emmys anyway)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Loved seeing Dennis and Mac in their jihad outfits again, busted out laughing when Dee and Charlie break in and find them pulling out that old callback with the same voices.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'd watch a Lawyer episode where he deals directly and indirectly with the gang causing him trouble and causing his clients trouble.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The line that always makes me laugh the hardest is when Charlie slides down the giant pile of garbage with a scimitar he found. "You could chop a camel right in the hump and drink all of its milk off the tip of this!"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I got all 9 seasons on DVD from amazon the other day for about $40 total, just for the special features/commentaries since I've been fiending for Sunny.

If you don't know, S6 and S9 have extended cuts of Lethal Weapon 5 and 6 (11-13 mins or so), and those cuts have commentary tracks by Dennis, Mac and Charlie in character. They're pretty funny.

More people should do that, the only other DVD I've seen that on is Spinal Tap and it's amazing, it's almost like an entire second Spinal Tap movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Weird, I got seasons 1-9 a few days ago and the tracks I heard on season 3 were clearly from back then. None of them have been too great though, the 3 actors usually seem a bit bored and spend a lot of time chuckling at their own jokes. Rob especially, you forget he's present for how little he talks. Glenn and Kaitlin talk quite a bit more... there are funny anecdotes sometimes though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We know too much about where Charlie and Dee have been to want to see them together. It's like seeing Artemis and Cricket get it on.

They plumbed that well in the pregnancy storyline also, with them trying to figure out who the father is and briefly thinking Dennis is the dad.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think the hardest I've laughed at a line/conversation during a first viewing was Dennis's speech about getting off in that mistaken identity one and Dee just quietly is like "I don't know...". They already got off to a good start with "boom I got your wallet" and follow up with that, Dennis when he gets into full creep mode is hilarious.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, people who put their TV above mantelpieces specifically are the worst. I've seen multi million dollar homes setup like this.

Whatever floats their boat, man.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I actually wondered during the roller rink scene if Frank was just gonna step out and shoot those dudes beating up Pondy. It seemed like too much even for the show, but they push the envelope every season and the gang has basically directly contributed to deaths already.

I thought it was 50/50 shooting guys, or driving off without Pondy. But he did right by his friend.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Watched it again last night, and the drug binge sequence still almost made me choke on dinner. The powder on the nose, "OUTTA MY WAY JEWS", popping the balloons, the scalding hot dog water, kicking in the toilet, texting LOL!!!! to Pondy... that whole sequence is just perfect.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There's no guarantee anything the main cast writes will automatically be amazing. They've been doing it for 11 years too. Larry David wrote the Seinfeld finale, after all

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I just thought it was funnier when Mac didnt actually go to gay bars and need towels. ... ow hes just doing gay stuff and pretending he isnt and it lost what made it so funny.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I think its just fear of changing what they know to work and just leaning on it more and more. I would love for them to take more risks with the characters because they're absolutely brilliant.

I'm sure there are plenty of Sunny fans out there who like the show just as much as I do who just want to see Dee called a bitch and Charlie bashing rats until the end. Thats fine but the quality is dropping now and and I'd like them to end with a bang not a whimper.

I feel like these posts simultaneously complain that they changed things, and also complain they haven't taken enough risks. You think they Mac is gay jokes aren't funny anymore because they used to be subtle, but then you insinuate that retelling the same joke ad nauseum is one of the problems.

All the old episodes are still there to re-experience that stuff. I'd rather they get real weird with it. (but don't turn it into a drama because then I'm done)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

it was far and away the best one so far this season because it's the only one that wasn't some gimmick

Smut Film, Suburbs and the Trial were are more normal than the St Patrick's Day one. Also if the ski one aired in S5 everyone would call it a classic.

I felt the show was dipping a lot more in S6-8 than now. It's as consistent as ever.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

555 = kkk

That made me burst out laughing.

Also:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_(telephone_number)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I could definitely see the gang pushing him to get back in the closet too, because they realize they prefer it to the new Mac.

The Gang Gets Homophobic.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Last night we watched the World Series episode followed by the suburbs/Being Frank episodes and I remarked on how it felt like no time passed between. I am always so surprised to read long laments about the death of this show there past couple seasons, like what was there to make you like it to begin with. It's always been gross-out. They had a touring musical spin-off in like season 4. It's amazing how consistent it is. Every season has highs and lows.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FELD1 posted:

I always recognized Mac's mom as the grandma in 'Napoleon Dynamite'

It was a small part in the movie, but she was awesome in it.

Make yourself a dang quesa-dilla!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, okay, listen before we get into that, can you help us pop a quick intervention on Charlie for his illiteracy?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Agronox posted:

I haven't gone through the list or anything but I suspect Alanna Ubach is a top 3 guest star in IASIP. A real shame they killed her off.

The Gang agrees (e: spoilers for the premiere premise in here):
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/04/its-always-sunny-philadelphia-season-12-glenn-howerton

Glenn Howerton posted:

I kind of regret killing Alanna Ubach’s character Roxie in season seven. She was just so funny, and it was such a funny character. I know the fans responded to her too, but just from our perspective there’s a part of me that wishes we hadn’t killed her. I’m sure we could discover that she’s alive, and it wouldn’t be that far outside the realm of possibility. There’s also a lot of times I actually regret killing Dennis and Dee’s mom in season two, because that was a really funny character. And I find the longer we go on, the more we have a desire to do at least a few episodes here and there that feel grounded in the emotional reality of the characters, and when you want to do that it’s nice to have family members to draw on.

e: Also I'd like to see this:

quote:

Another episode that’s been on the writer’s board every single year, and this is another thing we get a lot of requests for, is a lot of people are like, “You should do an episode where we see how you guys got the bar.” And I would really like to do an episode – and we’ve pitched or broken an episode that showed them at 21 years old and how they bought the bar. But the thing that’s prevented us from doing that is that we tend to bristle a little bit at things where we have to ... I’m 40 years old now, so for me to play 21 would just kind of be weird. You can do it, but we’re just like, “Are we really going to do a whole episode where we try to make ourselves look 21 years old?” I would actually personally be OK with it, but I think Rob and Charlie don’t like the idea of us trying to play 21.

Ignoring the age gap worked pretty well for Wet Hot American Summer, but I suppose that's more absurdist.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Loved this episode and the ending shock. At least this week people were calling it the worst thing the show's ever done after 5 minutes because it was too out there, instead of being too derivative to a previous episode like several callback episodes the last couple seasons. I guess nothing would please everyone after 12 years...

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Grieco's repeated requests for a 'seaweed break' and then later "the seaweed is making me a little sick, can I get a chalk break?" always crack me up.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't FT pretty widely regarded as the best comedy show of all time?

Depends on how old the person you're talking to is, and probably what country they're from.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Interesting but that would bring in real world lasting consequences for the gang's actions, which would probably be a first.

If anything, this show would go all the way beyond that point and have a class action lawsuit of like 11 kids who show up to sue Dennis and Mac (who back in his straight days made a big deal out of refusing to use condoms) and they come up with a horrible scheme to escape their responsibility.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seinfeld is my favorite show and IASIP is 2nd. There are a handful of parallel episodes too.

Man-hands crunching the lobster :: Dee watching Rapper Kevin laugh and eat popcorn

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bob's Burgers is good. Pretty different though, and infuriating to try and decipher the scheduling for new episodes.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe it'll yield funny edits with that episode where Charlie is a school janitor.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm torn because generally I would say I hate live studio audiences almost as much as laugh tracks, and I gravitate to the modern more intentionally placed single camera, but at the same time Seinfeld is my most favorite show ever (with Sunny probably a close 2nd at this point). I can't put my finger on it. I guess if the jokes make me laugh the cameras and format become secondary - same reason Lucy feels less dated to me than other shows from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mulva posted:

On it's own, sure, but the context of the fight was always the fact he brought it up to Lovitz. It's one thing to say "Well objectively it's not like he held her down and forced her to do cocaine", it's another to say that when he's joking that he got the guy killed to a close friend of the person. That's when you catch a beating and everyone cheers.

Doesn't really sound like Dick was intending to be 'joking' but yeah, according to Lovitz himself he doesn't blame Dick for the murder anymore and instead it was just because AD was living up to his name:

quote:

Lovitz had joined the show, of which Dick was a co-star, after his friend Hartman was shot and killed by Hartman's wife, Brynn.

"[Andy] was just complaining and really giving me a hard time for no reason. Phil told me that they had a Christmas party and Andy was doing cocaine and he gave it to Phil's wife Brynn, who had been sober for 10 years. So Andy said to me, 'Well, you shouldn't be here,' and I said, 'Well, I wouldn't be here if you hadn't given Brynn coke in the first place.'"

Eventually, the two worked out their differences, or so Lovitz thought.

"Later on we made up, and I said 'I'm sorry I said that,'" Lovitz said. "I realized it really wasn't his fault. Everything was fine for years."

But everything changed when Dick visited a restaurant of which Lovitz is part-owner. Lovitz said he was sitting at a table with a friend, and a group at the table next to them treated them to some peach liqueurs. Apparently, Dick and a friend came over to their table, and downed both liqueurs.

"He's standing there with liqueur dripping down his chin and he says, 'I put the Phil Hartman hex on you, you're the next one to die,'" said Lovitz. "And he's smiling, and my blood just went to my head. I wanted to smash him, but if I hit him he would have gone flying into the table behind him. He was really drunk."

Lovitz told Dick's friend to take his buddy out of the restaurant and vowed never to let him back in again. He didn't see Dick again until Wednesday night, when Lovitz was performing his weekly show at the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles.

"So I do my show and there's all these people there and then I'm done and the MC's up on stage and I see Andy's up on stage and I'm like 'Oh my God, what's he going to do?'" he said.

Lovitz met up with Dick in the packed lobby after the show. Lovitz wanted an apology from Dick for his "Hartman's hex" comment. But, apparently, Dick hadn't really buried the hatchet over their initial argument during their stint on "Newsradio."

"I just wanted him to say, 'Oh, I'm sorry,'" said Lovitz. "Then he leans into me, 'Well you know why I said that? Because you said I killed Phil Hartman that's the first thing you said to me when you got on the show.' I just lost it so I grabbed him by the shirt and I pushed him against the wall. And he's just smiling at me, and then I realized 'oooh, here's my chance.' So I grabbed him by his shirt and pushed him really hard and I smashed his back and his head into the bar. And I did it again. I would have kept going, but the doorman broke it up."