Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Go gently caress Yourselves is easily the best song but I also love the opening bit to 'The Nightman Cometh':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcemhmlBg38

The way Charlie is just so satisfied and amused with himself just kills me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is it really the actual Q Shaman guy? I'm a bit bummed if it is, dude should not be getting fame or money for his behaviour.

Rest of the trailer looks awesome, I'm looking forward to Charlie riffing with Colm Meaney.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Good. :)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Romper Stomper was great, maybe I'll give that a rewatch soon. AHX I liked, but I can't help but feel that the way it ends doesn't exactly help its message.

As someone mentioned upthread the 'IASIP to alt-right pipeline' is a real thing - I recently left a Sunny meme group because it was full of Rittenhouse stans. Either that or the show just attracts those types of edgelords who are too dim to read between the lines and think the Gang are heroes, already too far gone to the alt-right.

Satirical media influencing some awful behaviour isn't anything new though. I'm not entirely unconvinced that the re-invigoration of outright antisemitic discourse is due to South Park laying it on heavy with the Jew jokes.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

they cant have kaitlin on for at least the first season or they run the risk of getting into some messy discussion regarding the original dee actress

What's this about? Do I want to know?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Everybody chill!

... It's cool now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Merry Christmas to yous, IASIP Thread.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FireWorksWell posted:

https://youtu.be/QCadbE00ucM

This might be my favorite unhinged Dennis moment outside of talking to The Castle

Dennis' neck-vein-pulsing 'Golden God' moments are pure terror, but I think one of my favourites is the whole "dickless Dennis" bit, a rare moment where the gang just mercilessly tear into him and he cracks trying to disarm the conversation in the most weird way.

"But it doesn't apply, though!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah, in a similar vein I love the scene where Charlie lies to the police profiler that Dennis was raped by the shusher and Dennis has to play along while doing his drat best to downplay it.

Oh yeah this too, lmao I knew there was another really good example of it but couldn't remember, thanks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You're right, I often find it hard to reconcile with gags like that on the show. I tell myself it's OK because they're well established from like, episode 1 to be awful, terrible people... but I don't know. All I know is the episode where the court reporter reads out "... eat your butt, and his butt, in the stink," still now makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Come to think of it, Charlie pulling that bit on Dennis in front of the police profiler is hugely damning against his arguably-least-offensive member of the gang. Didn't they write at least one or two episodes to intentionally debase Charlie's character, because audiences were just seeing him as a harmless naive guy amongst monsters? I think at least 'Charlie and Dee Find Love' was specifically written with this intention but I'm not sure.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FireWorksWell posted:

In the first season alone he was willing to gaslight his friends and family into thinking he had cancer so a woman would pity gently caress him.

Everybody forgets about the first season.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mister Speaker posted:

Everybody forgets about the first season.

I went back and watched 'Charlie Has Cancer' and it's pretty damning, but kind of overshadowed in severity by the introduction of Carmen and the gang's totally-not-transphobia subplot, which is just confusing in its self-awareness, but still extremely uncomfortable.

Charlie: "Oh well excuse me for being the most terrible man in the world! Ohhh, I'm a terrible man!" *draws square around his head in the mirror*

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 8, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

moist turtleneck posted:

I love how they decide the beer is enriched and that's also against the rules while their microbrew is some sort of hosed up poison jungle juice

Paper Lion posted:

the bit is a reference to how many decades ago lovely white restaurants made up the msg is bad for you lie to get people to stop patronizing chinese food establishments because racism

Isn't it also in reference to 'uranium enrichment', part of the whole NK scare?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ShoogaSlim posted:

conversely, it's the mcpoyle's or something.

the shushing guy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So is 'Mac Finds His Pride' still the only really heartfelt season sendoff the gang has had? Charlie's rant at his dead Dad was pretty heavy but they still finish off on a joke, like other times I can think of ('Dee Gives Birth', 'Dennis's Double Life', etc.).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is your cat making too much noise all the time???

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
*Mac snatches away and eats the lawyer's contract*

"Ha ha! Fortunately, I made hundreds of copies of that!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Brevity is not exactly my strong suit but bear with me because there's something I've been trying to put into words for a couple of days now regarding Sunny and edgy humour. Basically, I've been rewatching a lot of older episodes and finding it increasingly difficult to justify enjoying the jokes and storylines.

Maybe it's the evolution of the zeitgeist, or my own growth as a person (although I haven't exactly done much of that in the past year). But previously, I used to justify to others (and maybe also to myself) that The Gang largely 'gets a pass' for jokes based in reprehensible, regressive humour "because it's well-established from day one that they're all horrible, narcissistic people." And that's true, I mean you couldn't throw a Sunny plotline about homophobia into another sitcom mid-season and expect people not to protest it. And you kind of have to explain that to a first-time Sunny watcher, don't you?

But someone upthread pointed out to me that the idea that Charlie is 'the lovable harmless one' (the impetus for writing 'Charlie & Dee Find Love') is wrong from the get-go; the entire plot of the fourth episode of the entire series is him gaslighting his friends into thinking he has cancer so he can bang the Waitress (gently caress, half the episodes in season 1 are about Charlie being a sociopath). And I've been watching earlier seasons lately with that thought in mind. How did they get away with this stuff, was it because the show was so under-the-RADAR in the first little while that this understanding was firmed up without any calls from activists to cancel the show? Do you suppose this fed their egos as writers, leading us to such gems of dialog as "rape you until the room stinks" or "look out, human being"?

Even when the joke isn't on the characters being monstrous, there's some surprising stuff in the early seasons. In 'Mac & Dennis: Manhunters', when Charlie and Dee think they've been eating human, they wonder for a moment about where to go to get "weird meats." The camera cuts to a shot of Chinatown, at which presumably we're supposed to laugh.

I don't really know if I'm making a point here at all, I just find it very confusing. Maybe the most confusing recurring plot is that of Carmen, and Mac's relationship with her. Right off the bat, her presence is there as some sort of foil (is that the wrong word?) to Mac as a confused gay man. And her return in later episodes brings some genuinely thoughtful and surprisingly progressive commentary from the Gang. But they still throw around the word "tranny" like it's her name.

Again, I dunno. I'm not going to stop enjoying the show or anything crazy, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It's just a thought.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Oh drat, how could I forget about the quintessential example of Ace Ventura? There is some validity to "it was just the style at the time," I think, like a sci-fi author from the 1960s writing antiquated tropes about gays into their book that takes place 10,000 years in the future.

ChesterJT posted:

You should try going outside.

No, that doesn't sound right.

quote:

If you want a real answer, this generation doesn't understand nuance at all and spends every waking moment trying to flagellate themselves for any deemed impure thought. It's ok to laugh at a joke. That doesn't make you homophobic, or racist, or whatever other label you're desperately trying to attach to yourself. Life's too short to beat yourself up over a tv show.

OK, I get that. Maybe a bit "kids these days" but I get it. IDK if 'nuanced' is the right term for some of the stuff on the show though. Like I mentioned about the Chinatown bit, the joke is literally "haha yeah Chinese people eat gross meats like dog and monkey and maybe human?" Using terms that you know are slurs isn't really something I'd call 'nuance' either. Nobody's beating themselves up, I just find it a bit confusing - actually, fascinating really, how the Gang has so successfully toed the line over fifteen years. Maybe it's that they don't 'double down' in the same way that some entertainers do. They move on, and maybe make another episode about it a few seasons later that's deeply self-referential - or they have a conversation about it and remove some content. Now that I think about it, I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting that resulted in pulling their 'blackface' episodes. Glad I still have those on my Plex server, in any case.

The best friend I've basically marathoned every season of Sunny with is POC and this stuff has never really come up. We've shown the show to gay and trans friends and they loved it. Hell, I grew up watching Apatow comedies with friends who are now extremely-militant transpeople, and they still love to sit down every couple of years and watch 'The 40-Year Old Virgin'. Like I said, still love the content and the humour, it's just new ground is all.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dongicus posted:

You are dumb as a bug

Coming from someone who never got out of their Habbo Hotel phase, I'll wear that as a badge of honour.

In conclusion: Get lost, bozo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

You're just mashin' it now, snail.

Anyway I didn't exactly expect a thread about Sunny to be a bulwark of progressive discourse on the forums, but I appreciate the posters who overlooked my scatterbrained verbosity and had legitimately salient things to say on the subject. :gbsmith: As before, I'm probably never going to stop enjoying watching the Gang do and say outmoded and morally bankrupt things, but it's nice to know that I'm not wrong for considering things with some degree of questioning, yet continuing to enjoy them. What someone said above about the Gang not doing the doubling-down thing like Chappelle or CK was great, and also this is a really good point:

The Sean posted:

If irl racists/homophobes/etc are jumping ship then it's some evidence that the show is doing something right.

The Sean posted:

Roxy has risen from the dead and cleaned up a little bit to appear as a mom on Euphoria:

Alanna Ubach was always a smokeshow. It's a testament to incredibly impressive makeup and costume design that she looked so believably like an alcohol-soaked prostitute on Sunny. I have this sort of conversation a lot with people who work in film, either as actors ("Man that accent on Camina Drummer is incredible, I thought she actually talked like that!" "Uh yeah bro, it's called loving acting?") or crew roles, that it never ceases to amaze me how their work can completely change the tone of a character. Margaret McPoyle is a great example of this. I mean, even Liam is, though I'll never see him in a serious role and not immediately think "You think I'm bluffing?! Then bluff this: Ryan! Stab somebody!!!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I eat stickers all the time, dude!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Booooom! BOMBSHELL!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

RacistsSuck posted:

Rob really working hard to get that cap facing each camera.

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember what kind of sports franchise he and Ryan Reynolds purchased, but lmao the LLC that they bought it under is literally called 'RR McReynolds Company'. I can't unhear it in the 'CHARDEE MACDENNIS' delivery.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Every time a new rapper comes on the scene with 'Li'l' in their name, I make sure to check their photos to see if they've got a little hand or something.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
podcast needs more laser beam sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3vm9yYhSQ

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, I know they picked all the music because it was public domain, but some of those songs are so firmly rooted as 'the Always Sunny music' that hearing them in the wild almost always makes me pause.

Just like how 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' or 'Gay Activity' always strongly remind me of Ren & Stimpy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's funny that a page or two ago, this thread touched on the importance of sound in picture and how oft-neglected and misunderstood it is by directors, producers and people who otherwise are consummate pros at other aspects of media.
I'm watching episode 24 of the podcast and in the first 15 minutes the gang are talking about their frustrations dealing with the sound department (both in production and post), most of which can be chalked up to their own shocking lack of understanding.

Their discussion of wanting slowed-down/pitched-down audio in the slow-motion sequences of the McPoyles yelling "BROTHERRR" is legit, and kind of puzzling that an audio mixer wouldn't be like "oh, yeah you want it to sound like tape slowed down, not like a digital time-stretching algorithm." But some of their other gripes are just odd. Like, I'm honestly surprised the guys don't know why it's better to simulate someone talking through a mic& PA in post, than to have an actual mic & PA running on set. Do departments not take the time to explain this to people?

Anyway, I think The Gang Gets Held Hostage is my favourite episode of the show, we'll see about the rest of the podcast.

EDIT: Mac describing his experience being jumped on a bicycle is giving me flashbacks, that's almost exactly what happened to me when I was 15. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if they are maybe just leaving something out, but that audio guy sounded like a complete rear end in a top hat. They wanted the slowed down audio that everyone knows about and all the person says is "that's impossible"? That's the most obtuse answer you could possibly give, because it is technically correct, you can not slow down audio that way, but he also had to know what it was that they wanted and just say "you'll have to record new audio of Jimmy pretending to do a slow-mo voice."

Yeah something must be getting left out of that story. I mean, you absolutely can pitch down audio that way (even in 2007 most software you'd use to stretch out a waveform could do that), and in fact the finished product does sound the way they wanted it - it may have been an ADR take but it's decidedly pitched down. So it's just the weirdest case of disagreement on what's "possible" I've ever heard.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ajaxify posted:

You probably already know this, but Erik worked in the prop department for sunny and had a cameo in the episode "The Anti-Social Network".

I didn't know he worked in props, thought he was on the writing staff. Isn't he also in a much earlier episode, as an extra? I have a vague memory of seeing his face in 'Bums Making A Mess of the City' or another episode where the gang finds themselves in a conference room with a bunch of other Philly residents.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

drunken officeparty posted:

Have they gotten to an episode that was pulled from streaming yet?

I don't think so, which episodes have been pulled? I only know about the blackface Lethal Weapon one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ajaxify posted:

Joman songs

Lmao, these are fantastic. The little stops and dialog samples in the Electro House bit are great (Dee gurgling into the mic really got me).

Also every time I go back to 'The Gang Tries Desperately To Win An Award' I forget that Charlie's piano man bit is basically a Randy Newman impression.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think I might be in the minority here, but I think I agree with removing the episodes for two reasons. Never underestimate how stupid people are in their inability to understand satire and... racists will use anything they can find in the mainstream to justify their behavior.

I agree with this too, and moreover, the main reason the networks removed them in the first place was optics, hosting an episode with blackface on it makes the network a really easy target. Don't worry about it, don't go "well what about all the OTHER racism" because then they'll go "hey you're right this makes us look bad too, we literally hadn't even looked into it or read the scripts we just signed the show because it got ratings" and they'll nix all that too, because as you said people are dumb and the sheer inability to grasp irony and satire is why we have actual racists running around doing the "it's just a prank" thing.

Just torrent the episodes like a normal person.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ajaxify posted:

The one I can't watch because it's too dark is when Charlie uses the nice rich girl to make the waitress jealous.

Yeah, this one guts me every time. IIRC Charlie wrote the story as a reaction to online fan discourse that painted him as "the only pure one in the group." He wanted to show the fans that Charlie is just as bad (if not worse) as the rest of the Gang, and can absolutely be a total manipulative sociopath when his obsession is on the line.

His "Well, I never actually signed anything, so uh, I'll see you tomorrow?" in The Nightman Cometh is just a hint at it, but that episode spells it right out for you that Charlie sucks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't think I wrote that one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's funny that part of Luther's gimmick in his later appearances is that he "doesn't blink," but it ruins it a bit going back to the first time he shows up, because he totally blinks. He blinks in the first shot you see him.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lmao

https://twitter.com/Lt_Hightower/status/1559654119169826816

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Brawnfire posted:

Butt! Butt-butt butt (time capsule, time capsule!)

The Butt Dance is one of the funniest most juvenile things for Charlie to get upset and jealous of, and Schmitty objectively does do it better than him.

Rob is such a himbo it's painful to listen to him talk about the Mac Finds His Pride choreography and training.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mac Kills His Dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FireWorksWell posted:

Those kids that stole Mac and Charlie's bikes

Yeah this is what came to mind immediately for me. They beat the poo poo out of those kids.