Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
So I don't know if this is the right thread or if you're all tired from being asked this a thousand times but we're all drunk and are trying to debate what the worst Always Sunny episode is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I can't even remember the parts of Spies Like US that aren't Dee doing pratfalls tbh.

I think Making a Murderer is funny but I know what you guys mean and I was in a minority last night. It's probably not the best parody, just good for them messing around I guess.

I remember Frank's brother having a good payoff but the rest of it being bad.

I like the Dee subplot and the punchline in the poop episode.

My brother really disliked the Boggs remake episode though I thought it was okay, I got the gimmick. I'm not hot on the episode that revolves entirely around Cricket, and apparently this is a rare opinion but I'm not a fan of the Ponderosa-McPoyle wedding episode. Maybe I should watch it again, I can enjoy mock horror comedies.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've watched the first three episodes of the newest series and I think they've been pretty good so far. I think the first one might be a bit self-referential for some, and I think a bit more could probably be done with the parody in the third, but the escape room episode is fun.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

hughesta posted:

I thought it was a pretty good season overall. the escape room episode is a highlight but I think Bathroom Problem and Time's Up are arguably both top 10 episodes

Just watched both of these and thought they were good also.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I quite like Artemis too... :shobon:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I haven't watched the older seasons recently enough to comment on those, but I think my favourite episode overall is The Gang Tries Desperately To Win An Award.

I just watched the last four episodes of season 13. I liked the clip show episode, probably for the same reasons I liked the awards episode and because I'm a sucker for mock-postmodern bollocks. The Home Alone episode was okay, but I really didn't like the Super Bowl one at all (probably because I know nothing about American football). The reputation of Mac Finds His Pride kind of preceded itself for me - I'm still not entirely sure about the dance sequence (and I can enjoy contemporary dance!) but I really liked the episode even if it doesn't really feel like an Always Sunny episode if that makes sense.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
To tell the truth, I'm not a huge fan of the Family Feud episode either. It's still pretty funny, but it's one of those where I could see the punchlines coming a mile off, and Key playing not-Steve Harvey seemed to suffer playing one of the show's stiffer straight man roles.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just recently finished watching S14. I thought it was good, better than S13. I enjoyed pretty much all of the episodes, with the exception of the Waiting For Godot laser tag one which didn't really work for me, though the ending was good. My favourite was probably the texting episode, because even though the humour was more obvious than normal, it was extremely relatable to me.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

moist turtleneck posted:

The extremely racist episode was my favorite

wait what

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Senor Tron posted:

Great news, but they're 20 years off claiming the longest running comedy title if you count shows from outside the US. Last Of The Summer Wine in the UK did 31 seasons over 37 years.

I hope they try to break that record.

I just imagined an elderly Charlie Day walking along a thin brick wall and chuckled to myself.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah, Last of the Summer Wine was a British TV institution for literally decades. It was one of those things that you couldn't imagine NOT seeing on TV, like Bruce Forsyth and Top of the Pops.

Then Brucie died, all of the Summer Wine gang died (presumably, because they were already super old, that was the gimmick), and everyone on Top of the Pops turned out to be a pedo.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Country Mac's twin comes to visit but he dies from covid.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Millennials are going to put a horse's head in Jackie Gleason's bed. hosed up.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

oh jay posted:

If I don't tape my eyes back, how will people know I'm Bruce Lee and not just some other guy in a yellow jumpsuit?!

I neglected to do this and all the silly millennials thought I was The Bride from Kill Bill. Really could've saved myself a whole lot of embarrassment had I thought ahead.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's a very minor bit but I always laugh at the bit at the end of the kitten mittens episode where Mac eats the contract and they all act like they've just completely owned the lawyer... before he reveals that he already made multiple copies of it like most normal people would. They're all just so pleased with themselves for a few seconds.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There are all sorts of wacky takeover stories in British football, up to and including clubs being bought for literally £1. I imagine they paid a bit more into Wrexham but my local (non-league) side still knocked them out of the cup last year, lol.

EDIT: Just looked it up and apparently Wrexham are one of the ones that has gone for £1 in the past, eleven years ago.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Suicide is badass!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Er, Captain Tom turned out to be a goddamn junkie!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
🍆

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Goddamnit Charlie
(earth blows up)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember enjoying Making a Murderer but I watched it when people were still talking about the doc so I'm not sure how well it holds up. I like pretty much all of the other episodes mentioned though.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Carthag Tuek posted:

best song is still go gently caress yourself imo

Agreed. My favourite episode.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I almost stopped watching when Kim Jong-il guest starred. That episode really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I haven't seen it in ages but I remember the zombie parody episode with the wedding not being so great. Maybe it was just too out of left field like Frank's Brother. I liked the Making a Murderer episode at the time but I can't imagine it's aged too well. I liked the noir parody episode but probably not because it was funny per se, rather I just really like noir poo poo.

Enjoyed the new series a lot, probably the most consistent in ages.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The Gang Gets Trapped is an awful episode with no redeeming qualities.

Is this the escape room episode because I think that one's good. I think the pandemic killed everything except the escape rooms in the West Midlands.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember that one being great!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I like the McPoyle trial but I don't like how they effectively beat the lawyer. He should've been their white whale forever.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I watched the trapped episode again last night because of this thread and I forgot about the punchline, lmao.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was talking with my mate the other day about what the darkest episodes (the lights go out lolo) of Always Sunny are. I listed the Christmas episode, the one where Dennis and Dee get addicted to crack to get on welfare and the Jersey Shore episode as three that stood out to me but I know I'm glossing over a bunch and I wanted some further input.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I forgot about the Dangerous Liaisons episode. It's worth noting that all of these episodes are very, very funny.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is the Saw one and the Home Alone one and the same? I remember enjoying the latter but then again I do enjoy comedic violence. The only other Saw episode that comes to mind is the second CharDee MacDennis one and while that's not as good as the first it's still good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Takes No Damage posted:

The Gang Broke Dee seems more actively malicious than they usually are to one another, though that is pretty much the joke in that episode.

My mental health is all hosed up and I love that episode, lol. Definitely a contender though.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I lose it every time it gets to MR GORBACHEV TEAR DOWN THIS WALL.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

cant cook creole bream posted:

How much attention could they possibly hope to gain from that? Unless they specifically want to carter to the population of Wrexam, I doubt that many people will care about it, who weren't kind of aware of those guys in the first place.

All I'm saying is that if I wanted to spent millions of dollars to get attention, making a documentary about a random football club wouldn't be my first instinct.

I think a lot of football fans are just naturally suspicious of club owners, as the most visible of them are all crooks, psychopaths and/or Tories. A good portion of Watford fans never warmed up to Elton John's association with the club even though he provided some much-needed cash at pivotal moments. Reynolds and McElhenney might be screwed either way because they'll either be too "foreign" when they don't attend every single game or looked down on for being attention-grabbing idiots when they actually do show up, as per the ridicule they received for celebrating a goal that was almost certainly going to be ruled offside a few months back.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Annabel Pee posted:

I'm rewatching the show and did anyone else find the Maureen cat stuff really cringy? I never remember hearing anything about it but it really just is that one I identify as something stupid right wing joke over and over. I'd like to give them a little credit that it was before that joke became so mainstream and everyone realised how stupid of an argument it was but maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure what the context was at the time.

I'm not a fan of the joke but I never thought of it in that way until you brought it up, funnily enough. I just read it as her being obsessed with cats and she's really insecure after Dennis dumped her, so it's just another example of "the gang destroys everything it touches". I hope it was as innocent as that, as your interpretation definitely leaves a worse taste in my mouth.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Vookatos posted:

Yeah. It can be read as transphobic, but probably isn't, and is just overly cartoony. It never really leads anywhere funny.

I'm also rewatching this show with my husband and man, I didn't expect Season 7 to house two of some of my least favorite episodes: ANTI-Social Network, which, aside from a few scenes, is just a boring. It has overly long jokes (blowing the sign) and stuff that's straight-up cringy (the "virus" video I can't stand for some reason, it's just such a boomer-rear end joke).
Second one is, of course, Frank's Brother. Probably not my least favorite episode because it at least looks good, but it really feels like they thought of a story and then filled it with a few repeated gags (Frank likes to eat! He looks old!)

I love how they get really upset at Frank for the video, when in my view it's just too silly for anyone to think it was a computer virus. It's actually the kind of cringey low-budget thing that could've gone viral around that time. I quite like Anti-Social Network, but I do think that they could've done more/better with the material.

I feel like Frank's Brother would've been a solid mid-tier episode in most series. In Always Sunny it's amongst the worst because the show has otherwise been so consistent for so long.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Looking around, it seems like the least popular episode overall is the ladies Boggs remake. I just watched it again last night and I still thought it was pretty good. Sure, it's more of a "concept episode" riffing on the ridiculous brouhaha over the new Ghostbusters than an actual straight-up funny episode, but I have a soft spot for Gross-Out Artemis and Alcoholic Waitress. It's also nice to see the waiter have a victory moment.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I still wonder what they (Dennis) did with the Rude Man.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I watched The Gang Goes to Hell for the first time in ages the other day and I forgot about Dennis' impression of Mac's dad, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

victorious posted:

Ha, you should give Sunderland Til I Die a try.

Did they ever do a new series of that or did covid kill it? It was funny but then my team (Derby) did the same thing lol.