Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I just finished the episode and don't recall any music during that scene whatsoever. I was super engaged in Charlie's monologue and thought it was one of the more memorable and well written scenes in recent seasons.

This episode fully alleviated any doubts I felt after the first 3/4 of last week's episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

"i didn't like two episodes of this show i've been watching for 10+ years these dumb hacks should give up already"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I was a little confused by the fact that they were in their own apartment too but it only lasted for like a second and then I kept enjoying the episode

how would they have finagled Dee "winning" anyway without it being in their own apartment with the Dennis trap setup? if they had gone to an actual escape room, they could have used some other device to have Dee save the day but I liked seeing Dee snap to the realization that her brother is a monster and she would need to resort to drastic measures to escape.

this episode is basically peak Gang and people are upset over the smallest little inconvenient plot device. get a grip

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

so if some poor, addictive schmuck who can't help himself ends up spending 2 grand on upgrades in this game, how much actually goes to anyone who does anything for the show? my guess is nothing and it's all a fox cash grab thing but wtf do i know

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i thought mac's confession to his dad was going to finally prompt the "i love you" he never got and it was going to be a happy ending which is why people had been buzzing about the finale so much. i laughed my god drat dick off at Frank's gradual devolvement into a disgusting blood-swollen creature as the episode progressed, top-notch Sunny in that regard, and then BOOM that ending. way better and more satisfying than anything i could have anticipated.

early in the dance when Mac's shirt comes off, i was still unsure if we were in joke territory or not and kinda snickered thinking they were still rolling with the "hey i got jacked, you guys" thing, but then my brain immediately switched to realizing that this dance was the reason he got so jacked in the first place and they were masking it since the first episode of the season.

what a cool show

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i remember the IRL build-up to the movie involving some buzz about how the character's name was a secret and people expecting there to be a payoff. there wasn't.

to continue talking about actual IASIP: my favorite "we don't know what the waitress's name is" joke is when dennis answers a call from her before we knows its her and is like "who is this? who?? ....just say waitress!"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

This season was excellent! The recap episode was so well done, the weirder the better I say.

Random question for anyone who watched this with commercials. On FXX there were a couple brief teaser commercials with a funny looking guy in a leather jacket that said "he'll steal your heart" or something like that, without saying the name of a show. Can't find anything about it online. Funny looking in a Steve Buscemi kind of way. Looked like an entry in the awkward comedy genre, I was intrigued. Anyone see that, or know what it is?

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/mr-inbetween

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Eat This Glob posted:

I hope he doesn't take too much inspiration from Frank.

why the hell not

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

posted this on a discord always sunny server, but i started realizing how many food related jokes/things pop up throughout the series. this is the result of my initial notes plus input from others. thought you guys might enjoy. some are a stretch but still fun

code:
wolf cola
fight milk
invigaron berries
pop-pop’s hospital soup
wine in a can
rum ham
mother’s milk
piping hot spaghetti (extra sloppy)
delaware runoff crabs
shrimp boat/boiled barnacles
snapper fish
beer soaked worms
mac’s famous mac n cheese (hunks of dog meat)
regular chicken sandwich (no beak)
frank’s convenience store robbery hot dog
squash and beef
meat cube
hair bacon bits
wendy's hamburger bun
chimichanga
peaches (real ones)
grilled charlie
bucket of chestnuts
EGG
riot juice
orgy buffet
lemons
milksteak boiled over hard and raw jelly beans
energy balls
pocket candy
chewing gum
sedative brownies
caribbean paradise (like bustin a nut)
dave and buster's steaks
north korean microbrews
flip cup poison
quarantine ceiling pizza
sushi off a jap broad's tits
mac's burnt breakfast at donna's

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

soup, and then later dish water, was almost eaten out of a shoe

whatever you people eat... maybe it is a shoe?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i want whats in your pants too!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

anyone suggesting that Hulu should take any time to really understand the usage/implication of blackface in media on their platform is acting in bad faith.

it almost certainly went like this:

some mid-tier manager: "shows are getting called out for depictions of black face"
his boss: "do we have blackface in our tv shows?"
some mid-tier manager: "yeah its always sunny, i think they use it in a nuanced wa..."
his boss: "pull the episodes before we get any poo poo about it and move on to the next set of objectives we have laid out for this quarter"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

Has anyone suggested that?

Lord Krangdar posted:

They should have just quietly kept the episodes of the show, which they had already presumably paid for, on their platform. Without acknowledging, amplifying, or arguing against these hypothetical accusations of racism (which, as far as I know, never really existed).

this, to me, reads like "they shouldn't have taken down these episodes bc the blackface references are actually nuanced and are not the target of criticism"

meanwhile, what (i think) luxury handset is suggesting is that it doesn't make sense to leave episodes like this up and "play chicken" with a possible outcry of criticism instead of hand-waving the "problem" away until later to cover their asses.

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and such.

what does hulu care about? subscriber counts and advertising revenue. it is likely that not many people (if any) dropped their hulu subscription over a few IASIP episodes. it is more likely that users might churn or advertisers might pull support IF a social media backlashed occurred

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

A corporation having a knee jerk reaction and preemptively, uncritically removing anything that could be dredged up as problematic isn't a sign of progress, it's a sign of not giving a poo poo and going through the motions expected from them without caring about the spirit or doing anythingbut the barest minimum to stay out of trouble.

are we really trying to herald a corporation as beacons of moral virtue? hulu gives a poo poo about money, that's all.

people tweet about how much they hate jeff bezos from the WFH setup they got delivered via amazon prime. nobody really cares about moral virtue from their toy and pleasure manufacturers.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

multijoe posted:

It should be a clue that you've not presented even a single example of a person actually calling for those episodes to be cut in the wild.

nobody specifically asked for the Always Sunny episodes to be cut, but there are a healthy amount of examples of other shows having episodes pulled at the request of their creators in solidarity with.... whatever flavor of media wokeness strategy you think is being invoked or not.

while i don't think it's accomplishing much, i can still fully understand why the powers that be would double-down their efforts and pull as many examples of blackface from their service as possible

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Super Deuce posted:

Not all blackface is racist, either. In that article, some of the examples are just costumes. Jenna wearing a Lynn Swann costume in a 30 Rock episode isn't doing blackface. It was Halloween costume. Dressing up as a non specific "black football player" could be racist. Well, probably is. A specific person, however, isn't. That's just a costume.

a black dude dressing up as walter white or the terminator or whatever probably isn't going to smother his face in pinkish beige. so i can see why black people think the example you think is harmless might be offensive.

aren't black people supposed to be able to decide what is offensive or not when it comes to racially charged imagery/depictions? i'm not black so i'm only going by what i see/read/hear. i know that removing black face isn't saving the world. but enough people have expressed disinterest and/or opposition to it. which is why we are where we are with these episodes pulled.

to pretend that there is literally no request from anyone for this type of imagery/these depictions to be pulled is avoiding a big part of what's going on here, i think.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

esperterra posted:

What are you smoking and where can I get some? poo poo sounds strong.

i'm a white dude with a bald head. i could very easily do halloween as walter white or stone cold steve austin, etc. but until Super Deuce's post i hadn't considered i can just wear a bulls jersey and blackface to be michael jordan! that would be totally ok!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gun Fever and Gun Fever Too: Still Hot

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

great reference, but the length of effort people go to to get their point across on twitter is truly dogshit. blue-check guy seems dangerously obsessed with some maga idiot holding an onion. i especially love his "we did it!" conclusion to his thread pointing to a snopes article about it like it was his doing. and the snopes page even says "unproven" lol

twitter is a loving cesspool

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the wifi in my old apartment was called 'p diddy shrimping vessel' then i moved into a new apartment and worried i couldn't one-up myself until i realized 'Guigino's Italian Restaurant' was right there all along

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

"being frank" is basically frank day

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

mythic quest is pretty whatever. it's fun to see rob try a "real" show and cricket get more spotlight. it's fun to see them tackle a software development scenario even if it gets most things "wrong."

it's not great but worth watching and not thinking too much about it. if you're mad that it's not good then you got bigger fish to fry.

hth

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i watched an episode or two of the mick and ap bio and thought they were both also kinda whatever. tbh i feel that way about most shows in general so i'm prob not the best to talk about it but i'm def confused by why the general consensus is that the mick was the failed second coming of comedy tv or whatever

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ryan reynolds is pretty fuckin tall huh?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

hm yeah that's not freakishly tall actually but man the juxtaposition bt him and rob is weird to see

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

look at us. we're evolvin' without it. we came from the apes, and look at us now! ::slaps arm, rubs head:: one day, we'll be completely hairless, and totally pure.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Ajaxify posted:

Lastly, before I open the bar in the morning, I always make sure to turn on the Coors sign.

Charlie, that sign does not say "Coors" it says "closed"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

And then he smells crime again, he's out busting heads

Then he's back to the lab for some more full penetration

Smells crime

Back to the lab

Full penetration

Crime

Penetration

Crime

Full penetration

Crime

Penetration

And this goes on and on and back and forth for 90 or so minutes until the movie just sort of.... ends

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Custard Undies posted:

Nice nips, cupcake

start breaking bricks, wet nips *blublblubllbbll*

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

so Mythic Quest just gradually started transforming into Always Sunny huh

i noticed this too and i'm not mad about it. i think MQ has been pretty consistently good but it's getting better the more they add Sunny influence.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

wolf cola: a public relations nightmare has, hands down, THE best cold open of the entire series

frank struttin' into the bar singing "go for it" whippin out his revolver and diving into a bag of coke without noticing the gang 10 ft away is peak sunny

"really, i mean between the three of you, we could be opening up a bakery with all the muffin tops i'm seeing"

"my friend has really weird women issues, i didn't realize he brought a laser pointer"

"we're not into your weird diarrhea drink"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i could be a man with a fistful of hammers, and a trunkful of duck tape and zip ties, ya know? this guy doesn't know me, is he crazy?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i think it is new for sunny. i remember having to wait until the current season completely finished airing before it would be on hulu

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it's interesting they went in a direction of "you can't make fun of anything" which is similar to the newest south park special with jimmy's jokes. i know that doesn't always land for people who disagree, but i think it's hilarious. the gang outright stating that nobody today wants to actually have a dialogue and they just want their opinions regurgitated back to them is pretty in-line with my personal experience as a 30-something dude with whacky friends on both sides.

pepper jack returning is triumphant. long live sunny.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Several of the MCU cast members have straight up said “yeah I would have done it but my agent passed without telling me”.

idk poo poo about hollywood but couldn't they wind up becoming contractually obligated to not discuss salary/opportunity negotiatons?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sunny has the best bloopers of anything

Takes No Damage posted:

They're always the best when it comes off as a group of friends just goofing around :allears:

like charlie and dee after eating human raccoon meat, i was hungry for more good bloopers content. i don't really watch too many other comedy shows bc none of them are actually funny. the office was cool for a while, those bloopers give a small taste of what i need but it's not enough to satiate.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

looked up the pizza sketch from stella and cringed so god drat hard, but it does feel like something i might have found funny a decade ago so i cant necessarily hate on it too hard.

i would say i think you should leave, tim and eric, and eric andre are some solid modern comedies i like, but they're not sitcoms so there usually isn't blooper stuff associated with shows like that?

also btw the always sunny podcast is a real gem for anyone who hasn't given it a shot yet. first time i've ever turned on notifications for new episodes of a podcast

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

roller rink episode is def in the bottom 10 episodes of the entire series, that was hard to watch. the whole joke of "remember slang words, technology skepticism, and other stuff from when we were kids??" is not funny to me whatsoever in any show or movie.

it's also bordering on pretty sad when you get the gang to play themselves as younger people but kaitlyn's cosmetic surgery is so prominent. also, you can see very clearly that there's a stand-in for her doing the skating stuff but it wasn't even that impressive. someone above mentioned it being a lackluster buildup and i completely agree. she spun around a few times and bumped her head so now she's an rear end in a top hat forever? weaksauce. make it so she got spun around way faster making her super dizzy and then went flying through a pinball machine or something. kaitlyn is a fantastic physical comedian and the potential was wasted.

lastly, you could very clearly see the inside of the "bar" when they open it in the final scene and you can tell it's not the bar in there. fans of the show already know this but they hide it way better in every other episode. if you're gonna do an origin story then spend a little extra time on smoke and mirrors. did they blow all their budget on the cgi monkey in the next episode?

in contrast, the monkey episode was good, but i think the episode should've just been called "the gang replaces dee" and when frank suggests that a monkey could do dee's job they can laugh about it and then dennis could have been like "ok but no we need an actual human person" and play the monkey part as a twist or something bc of frank being cheap and playing his suggestion as serious against dennis' objection. as it stands it's a bit too on the nose, idk. the episode titles are usually supposed to negate or contrast what was being hinted at in the cold open. both of these two were just like "here's what happens" without adding to the jokes.

and i actually really loved dee getting drunk with power over the actress student. she's best when she's able to go full unhinged.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Khanstant posted:

this is shown for 2 seconds for less than a percent of the frame, is this what you fussin bout?

yes :colbert:

e: i KNOW my nitpicks are outrageous for a sitcom where the actors are clearly just still doing it bc it makes them laugh so who cares. but goddamnit i dont know how to express myself unless through anger and personal attack!

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 10, 2021

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Sean posted:

This is kind of gross tbh.

the concept of the show frequently calling out how the gang is aging and falling apart in one way or another and clinging to youth - there's no possible way they'd ever actually call out kaitlin's IRL attempt to preserve her youth, and it's a huge bummer bc the audience has to pretend it's not glaringly loving obvious.

i am sympathetic to body dysmorphia and im sure i can't imagine her internal struggle, but i live in LA and know enough people who are constantly getting botox shots and it's really just sad.

the way dee's face looks now is far worse than the chemical peel dennis used in the avatar episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Sean posted:

You mean the character Dee, that is a notoriously bad actor per cannon, doesn't believably cry during their melodramatic audition? Whoa. You got me there. Definitely not in any way related to the character and/or situation being conveyed rather than the irl actor.

go ahead and pretend like we as an audience are too stupid to tell that it's not because of the canon of the show, it's because the aging actor IRL decided to succumb to the pressure of beauty standards and paid money to modify their appearance that inadvertently makes everyone who gets it (both men and women) look much worse as a result. what a horse poo poo, disingenuous argument.

when dee raised her eyebrows in one of the scenes, her forehead was completely still. as an actor, being able to emote is one of your biggest strengths and you give that up when you get botox, etc. we are smart enough to know that it's not "lol dee's bad acting" maybe you're not, but the rest of us are.

The Sean posted:

(your grammar is pretty cool btw bc it argues with the point you're trying to make--some real Charlie-level writing there).

you misspelled canon as "cannon" above, indicating to me that your inferior grammar skills are a sufficient reason to negate your entire argument. i am very smart.

how does it feel to be a sanctimonious prick? the kind of people this entire show satirizes to demonstrate how terrible they are.