Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Truly a great episode. Dennis going down the line with his "time's up" speeches had me loling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

OldSenileGuy posted:

Was this the first time they dropped an F bomb on the show, not counting the Christmas episode that was direct-to-DVD?

Also, I watched the episode streaming - was the F-Bomb unbleeped on FXX?

I didn't even notice. I don't think they would have bleeped it on FXX. Several cable networks (FXX, AMC, USA, Comedy Central, etc) have been really loosening up what they'll allow as far as content goes (language and violence). The first time I noticed shows openly dropping f bomb's on cable television shows were probably Atlanta (FXX) and Mr. Robot (USA). Other shows have followed suit.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Got around to watching the episode. DID NOT SEE ANY OF THAT COMING. Not many (if any?) episodes have a somber tone like that. Only a few jokes sprinkled in. And the ending was something else. I liked it. I'm glad they didn't cheapen it with a joke at the very end.

My guess is that Frank is going to try to relate more to Mac by incorrectly talking to him about "gay" stuff.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

I'm rewatching AD at the moment and am on season 2... I can't remember where to stop. I saw the first Netflix season where they filmed them all separately or whatever, and that wasn't great but it was Arrested Developmenty enough I guess. Where should I call it quits if I don't want to get into deep suckage?

I guess I'm in the minority then. I thought season 4 was mostly bad (in terms of AD). Compared to most sitcoms, it was fine. I thought season 5 was a huge step up in quality, and very much recommend it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

Rob also talked about Hulu removing episodes and the first ep of season 15 on another podcast:

Sucks they're just now starting production on this season.

One one hand....it sucks that production is just starting. On the other hand....if flexibility on production is what it takes to keep the show going....then I'm all for it. Just like with Curb. Put it season orders and production deadlines....and those two shows would probably cease to exist altogether.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

robot roll call posted:

I thought those were both good!

The roller rink episode was a perfect Sunny Begins prequel, I love that Dee being an insane bitch is entirely brain damage based and I love that Charlie actually had the most money to throw down to buy the bar and also that they didn't change a single thing about it

The other episode was a lot of fun too, I love Charlie's belief that there can't be more than one city in a state and I am excited to see what the gang gets up to in Ireland

I don't understand the hate towards the roller rink episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dee bonking her head and becoming a crazy bitch was definitely the weakest part of the episode....but both Charlie and Mac were great.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I'm liking this development with Dee getting an acting gig. Was wondering why they were going to Ireland. But it seems like a really good setup for upcoming episodes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

oh jay posted:

The roller rink episode was okay, but we've all heard half the jokes hundreds of times already. "There's no way *now ubiquetous technology* will ever take off".

If I wanted to hear those, I'd watch the other Glenn Howerton masterpiece, That '80s Show.

I mean....it wasn't a masterpiece by any means....but I thought it was amusing enough. Mac and Charlie both made me laugh.

And....I did not know that Glenn Howerton was in 'That 80's Show'. Wow. I did not watch that show once.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

All their characters are very much exaggerated versions of themselves, it's why it works so well, I think. Like, the gang are pretty cartoonish (they discuss that too in the podcast) but the roots are clearly there. Glenn's fastidious and can be prickly, Charlie's excitable, Rob's clearly the least secure of the three of them, etc.

A lot of the time the podcast feels like a Sunny audio play, especially when they get to yelling over each other. It's really entertaining

I think this is correct. And I listened to the first episode of the podcast today.....Rob seemed worried that Charlie didn't eat anything until lunch. I almost thought he was playing Mac for a second or two.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Dee flirting hard with the Irish doctor, cut to the title card "Dee Sinks In a Bog". So lol.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

God drat is 'The Always Sunny Podcast' good. When I originally saw it....I thought....well how interesting could an episode by episode recap be? Glad I gave it a shot....but it's not really a recap in a general sense. It's great. And I'm surprised at how funny those guys are off script. Charlie Day especially. Just hilarious all around.

Decided to start a rewatch from episode 1 as well because it's been a long time since I've seen a number of these episodes and I figured that I could enjoy the podcast even more if I could follow exactly what the guys were talking about. I got up to the invincible episode of the podcast before starting the rewatch....and I've been noticing quite a few things. What's mostly been standing out to me is the little sound effects that they add in. I don't think I really noticed them much originally. But now that I know that the guys added some of those sounds in post....makes the show even funnier. But....brilliant show right off the bat. Even the first season where they are still getting their footing and are without Devito puts most sitcoms to shame. Forget how many laugh out loud moments there are.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The Always Sunny Podcast is a podcast that I did not know I needed until I started listening to it. Just great. Way better than I had imagined when I first heard about it a few months back.

Just got through watching 'The Nightman Cometh' on a current rewatch. Am I the only one who finds this episode to be terribly overrated?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ShoogaSlim posted:

what dont you like about it? it might not be my favorite overall, but it works well in highlighting each gang members quirks and nuances in how much they each want to be the star of the play and gently caress with charlie's vision while he's plotting this whole thing to hide an elaborate new way of trying to achieve his ultimate goal of getting with the waitress. blablabla you get the idea but bc everyone gets a chance to shine and bc it deviates, successfully, from the gang's usual activities/setting, it's def a standout for most people.

also the way mac asks charlie who they're doing the play "versus" is so loving funny

I didn't say that I dislike the episode....persay. I just don't get why it's as highly regarded as it is. Basically....child molestation is every other joke. A little too 'blue' for my tastes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ShoogaSlim posted:

what does this mean?

Basically to be "off-color". Overtly vulgar or dirty. There are some bits in the episode that work for me. Mac getting laughed at throughout the show as he acts like a ninja cat....even though he was going for "gasps" specifically. But the running joke throughout the episode is that the entire play is an innuendo on child molestation. I just didn't find it to be all that good of a bit. Nothing really clever about it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Yeah when it comes to the ads themselves, not to re-litigate that :can:, these four are really funny together and I don't care if they yuk it up about some high end socks I'm not gonna buy as long as they did do their research like they said they would, which now it seems they do I hope. They've just got a chance there for new improv is all, even though I know the company has demands when it comes to that stuff.

Agreed. Don't think I've skipped past an ad in this particular podcast. The better podcasters can do these spots and keep them interesting enough that they don't even feel like an advertisement. Back in the day when 'Hollywood Handbook' had an ads-free version for 'Stitcher Premium' subscribers, people would seek out the ads version to hear the ad-scenes they'd do.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Just finished a rewatch of The Mick and I am heartbroken all over again that it didn't get another season. This was the best drat new comedy of the last decade, and was absolutely firing on all cylinders by the end of season 2. Just absolutely maddening that it got canceled when they're willing to make 4 seasons of AP Bio and Mystic Quest, which don't have a fraction of the energy and direction. Finished the final episode and I keep thinking "there's gotta be more, right? how would they not make more after that season?"

Don't drag 'Mythic Quest' into the rant. That show is really good. But I agree with the A.P. Bio thing. The Mick runs circles around that show. The unfortunate truth is that FOX has a long history of canceling high quality shows

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

It started good and got worse. Mr Quest started good and stayed good. Mick started great and ended great.

I agree with this good post.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

The episode of The Mick where she loses everything gambling and then wins it all back on a lucky streak and they take away zero lessons from it was amazing

Thought that was great too.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

When I started rewatching from the first episode a couple months back....I realize I had forgotten how flippant they were with weapons in the early seasons. I mean.....I knew they were with Frank commonly carrying them around and shooting them off.....as well as the 'Gun Fever' episodes. But I guess I never was paying close enough attention (or just forgot) at how casually they would just point loaded weapons around the room....and at each other. Or even toss loaded weapons to one another....with nobody ever flinching or feeling threatened.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

Well, you guys have bad opinions and should feel extreme shame. The podcasts where they just talk about random stuff are and always have been the best ones. I wouldn't give a poo poo if they never spoke about episodes again because it's always just them going "hah, yes, that was funny, I remember that" which is boring. Their tangents and bullshit IS the podcast

I agree with this.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Professor Wayne posted:

Canned wine is a good Sunny prediction. Apparently the quality varies a lot, but a can of Underwood is solid for some day drinking.

Can of wine was a big thing during my college days.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I'm not necessarily poor. But I am lazy. I just fill up gatorade/powerade bottles along with a couple of 64oz jugs that I bought with tap water. I just I don't really notice much difference here in MN.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

yea whats up with macs suit. loose & wide like that is mid 90s, but the braided snakeskin belt is late 80s

He's clearly in wardrobe for the episode where he dresses like Steve Harvey.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The cold open to the first episode (The Gang Inflates) of the season.....is brilliant. Very happy that Sunny is back.

My god.....the reveal that Charlie's apartment has a bathroom and a separate bedroom is incredible. Could make for a really good season long story arc. Or they might blow it up by the end of the first episode. Also.....I can't remember ever wondering what that door was. I can't believe that it's just never been addressed. Really shows how many different avenues this show could go down. lol.....Mac's face.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 10, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

fyi you can also find the blackberry movie in all sorta places, Glenn is really terrific in it, like everyone already said he was. it's a well made movie.

Super good. Glenn Howerton was great. Both his performance and the movie in general are getting critical acclaim.

On the other side of the tracks.....Charlie Day's movie 'Fools Paradise' is getting absolutely ripped. Have to say.....the trailer didn't make it look that great....but Charlie is such a talented comedic actor/writer that I still had high hopes. Who knows.....RTs fresh/rotten meter isn't always right. But 16% fresh on 38 reviews....some of which are super critical....doesn't bode well. One reviewer mentioned that part of what makes Charlie Day funny is his voice and the way he talks. So he made himself a mute character?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Aphex- posted:

Glenn is absolutely right that Mike Patton is the greatest rock vocalist of all time.

Still think it's Chris Cornell......but Patton is right up near the top of the list.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Why is everyone suddenly complaining about the look of the show when its looked this way, and in HD, for over a decade?

I didn't really notice it either. I did notice the lighting change when Community jumped from NBC to Yahoo Screen for the sixth season. Yahoo looked like they spent a lot of time trying to make the lighting and the shadows look as realistic as possible. lol.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Just saw Fool's Paradise.....and while it wasn't terrible.....it certainly wasn't good. Let's start with the fact that nobody is asking for a Chaplin type, slapstick comedy in 2023. Just an odd choice. An equally problematic issue is that the movie cruises through scenes and plot points so quickly.....that it's hard to make sense of any of it unless the point is that it's not supposed to make sense.

Anywho.....I didn't hate it. I was in the mood for a lighthearted movie and this certainly qualifies. I just cannot imagine that this is how Charlie Day expected this to turn out when he started. Because this was a mess.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

cum calamity posted:

I finally got around to watching The Mick, god what a good show, shame it got canceled. Easily some of Kaitlin Olson's funniest bits, and Scott MacArthur's physical comedy in it is amazing, I'd love to see him show up in Sunny some day.

Really good show. Unfortunately it was on Fox.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

I just watched Fool's Paradise and Blackberry last night. Paradise was a mess and wasted everyone in it. I was amazed at how bad and pointless every character was. Jason Sudekis and Adrien Brody especially. And holy poo poo every time they said Latte Pronto I was reminded of how stupid it was. Blackberry on the other hand was pretty good and Howerton was amazing.

There's a reason why Fool's Paradise was shelved years ago. Now we know why.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Super Deuce posted:

I'm reminded of one of the 30 Rock live shows where Julia Louis-Dreyfus also plays Liz in a "flashback", Jack asks why her memory is better looking, and Tina Fey Liz says her memory has Seinfeld money.

It's not just about them (potentially/probably) having work done, but they also have significantly more money for self care. Rich people typically look better/healthier than poor people.

Even rich people get bad work done. Sometimes it's not even necessarily "bad".....but jarring because of the difference.....which can also qualify as bad.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Thought it was great at the start of the episode when Dee said that Frank wouldn't help Mac because Frank was homophobic. And then Frank said that he wasn't homophobic anymore because he now understood.....because of the dance.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

moot the hopple posted:

Glenn was pretty good in BlackBerry. The kind of character he played was definitely already in his wheelhouse, but hopefully it leads to other good roles for him because he's a solid actor.

Did anyone watch Charlie's movie? I guess it flopped pretty badly :ohdear:

Blackberry was great.

Fools Paradise was terrible. Not only was it mostly unfunny.....but it was so disjointed that I have trouble understanding how it got released like that.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

CPColin posted:

I think it was released like that because the studio was tired of waiting and decided it wasn't going to get any better. I wonder what the movie was like before the reshoots. Maybe it was more coherent but said even less?

Possible that it was doomed from the moment it had been written.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

dorium posted:

It's worst problem honestly was him just hiring his buddies for every part in the movie and they're all phoning it in. Charlie is fully committed to the bit, but everyone else is at a 25% energy level and I dont think really had any idea why they were there. Glenn and Ken Jeong were the only guys who seemed like they got what the movie was going for and did something, but it never fully gels into something coherent. It's a shame too because Charlie is striving for a very broad and funny idea and it shines through when its just him on the screen or with people who get it, but otherwise really flat and rough. I hope he doesnt quit trying to direct, but I think he needs a better team around him to support it much more clearly and playing to his strengths.

If he wants to continue to direct, he will. I don't think Fools Paradise reflects too much on his ability. It was just a weird route to go right from beginning. I mean.....there's a reason why these types of comedies aren't made anymore.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

still needs a budget tho

so depends on how much hes put aside and how well liked he is. probably hes a nice guy irl, he got a lot of people to show up anyway? so who knows

Guess I was being too vague. If he wants to continue to direct....I think he'll be awarded more opportunities due to his heavy involvement in Always Sunny. But he'll probably have to pull back and do something more conventional/mainstream.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Seems like forever since an episode of the podcast was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Third season of Welcome to Wrexham started today.

Watching has me thinking whether the scottish accent is the least attractive of all English speaking regions. :11tea: