Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I’m having a hearty LMAO at the notion of someone posting “hey, I know you guys have been watching this show for literally over a decade but as someone who just started watching it last year it’s not as good as it used to be!”

I posit that for many IASIP fans, it’s the time and growth between seasons that adds to the surrealism. As you grow up in life, YOU will also become a stretched and vaunted caricature of yourself. You will begin to catch yourself doing things, crazy things, not because you WANT to, but because you HAVE to, because those are the kinds of things YOU are known for or supposed to do or expected to do. Watching Charlie or Mac grow from Season 1 to Season 12 is an INSANE study in character development and ethos, and the idea that someone could binge 12 seasons in a summer and expect to understand the show on the same level as those of us who basically aged right alongside the characters is funnier to me than any number of people kramering into the thread to tell me how bad it sucks.

Find your favorite “the show is bad now” post, then go look up their posts from like a year ago and see what they thought of last season (hint: they always think it’s bad)

:emptyquote:

Fake edit: also, is it just me, or did complaints about the show peak quality wise about 3 seasons ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Upmarket Mango posted:

I figured I'd break out of my usual habitat here on the forums and see whats popping over here. Just want to say It's Always Sunny is one of the greatest tv shows ever, every episode is a treasure in its own way, and I savor each new season like a fine wine. My least favorite episode is probably the liqour store robbery one with the extended cartoon sequence because its just kinda boring in a not funny kind of way. I can't even choose a most favorite because like I said they're all treasures in one way or another. I watch at least one episode every day of my life and have done so for at least the last four years.

Lol, who swings by, drops a bad opinion like a dog takin a dump, then rear end scoots back off to GBS or whatever?

Other than me?

Cuz that episode was worth it for the rat graveyard and the heroic hotdog munch alone

And speaking of dog turds

PittTheElder posted:

So Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are going through quite the divorce proceeding, but apparently the straw that broke the camel's back was that age old question: who pooped the bed?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/depp-libel-trial-friday-1.5644717

What if it was 2 dog turds that rolled together and merged?

We're gonna need to analyze this turd

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 19, 2020

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, I think they use the setting to talk about a bunch of issues. Setting the show in a games company is useful, because the Mythic Quest office is space where childishness is both valued for its own sake and actively exploited as a way of producing money. So this allows them to tell stories about the conflict between creative and capital in the first season, and the personal relationships and work relationships can come into conflict in the second.

Very little about the show seems particularly lazy, tbh. Pretty sure the cast wrote and performed that silly Everlight song from the special, for instance.

The laziness is in the way that, except for the art department, none of these folks are shown working in a manner anything like the realities of game development.

But once I got over that, I enjoyed it quite a bit

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Just stared AP Bio, this poo poo is great! Tonally much more like IASIP

And The Mick is way better?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

The only sport I watch is Slap Fighting.

I love muay Thai, kick boxing, MMA, all of that, and Dana's White Power Slap league made me want to barf.

And is that Gail the Snail? gently caress yeah

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ShoogaSlim posted:

i accept your hate. i thought it was forced and out of place.

mac spent the entire series trying to win the acceptance of his dad and suppressing his sexuality, so his dance works.

charlie, on the other hand, did try to understand whether frank was his dad or not but eventually just settles into the fact that they're best buds with a built in paternal relationship. so the reveal that he finds his dad and then has that dad taken away doesn't have enough series time to have a real emotional impact. and from a meta aspect it's too hard for me to suspend disbelief and not realize that they're just doing a "serious mac thing but charlie now instead"

e: a better serious/emotional moment for charlie was when the waitress told him to leave her alone in the charlie and dee find love episode. he's usually tone deaf to her telling him to leave her alone but in the beginning of that episode he's defeated and sad to the point he doesn't fight back. that's a bummer. but of course we know how that episode ends with him being a real bastard man after all.

the series had the chance to pull that card again in later seasons but instead had him and the waitress get together so that ship had sailed. they shoehorned in a father figure and it doesn't work, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

No Dignity posted:

Genuinely, please could you stop making the thread about yourself? The reason everyone keeps making fun of you is because you can't stop yourself inserting yourself into every slightly spicy topic to scold people