Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've watched episodes of this show here and there over the years and really enjoyed them, but never settled down to actually watch a full season. A friend kept raving about it so finally I just decided to settle in and slowly work my way through the seasons.

Less than 2 weeks later I'm caught up on 10 seasons of the show and I desperately want more. This is an insanely good show and I can't believe it took me so long to get to it... though I'm concerned that much concentrated Sunny can't have been good for my mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

Charlie Day is currently in Rohstock filming Hellboy III.

Holy poo poo that's great news, is Del Toro directing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Where are your breasts?"
"In my face."

Maureen Ponderosa would have made a good McPoyle, even if her blood isn't pure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was actually worried I wouldn't enjoy season 1 since I knew Frank wasn't in it and I loved his dynamic with the group in the odd episodes I'd seen before watching everything. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the season was, especially the underage drinking episode. Speaking of which, I loved the callback to that a couple of episodes back with Frank getting a chance to get involved in that scheme as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

This was the first episode I was shown too. Charlie deflecting shots from 8 year olds and grabbing the ball to go up for a layup instantly sold me on the show.

Yeah, that was incredible, everything just completely fell apart in the best way.

A moment that always stands out to me from season 2 is "Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's rear end". There's a scene where he gets really upset and just starts reciting what I can only assume are lyrics from some song, but he's just spitting the words out so angrily, like it's some kind of mantra to hold down his rage, and it just keeps going and going while the others stare at him uncomfortably. It's great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha thank you, that's still amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm a big fan of his silent tears as his scheme to take control of Dennis' plot with the Waitress blows up in his face in Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 2, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This was the first episode I've ever gotten to see the day it aired, and sadly it was a disappointment. Still funny, but it felt forced to me in a way that the show usually doesn't, particularly the ending. In fact Dennis' entire performance felt forced, which was a bit of a surprise since he's normally so good/natural at coming across as deeply disturbed just beneath the surface veneer of normalcy.

I did love that if they'd gone with a Frank/Charlie pairing they'd have gotten the 200 points by picking the top and bottom answers though. Like maybe-father, like maybe-son.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

that was about the most perfect representation of a pissed off game show host I could imagine

I did love when the other family failed to win the round, meaning he'd have to go back to the Reynolds, and he just slams his hand on the desk in fury.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

The sad part is that he got all the number one answers, but still failed because Frank had already guessed them. The format of the game literally held him to a standard beneath perfection, and he couldn't handle it.

This is a really good point that I hadn't actually considered. Frank took his role from him, which left him completely unable to cope because he NEEDS things to be strictly structured and can't deal with it when things don't fall in line with his expectations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wolf blood, amazing :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, that reminds me of the episode where Dee tries to live like Charlie for a day. He explains that he huffs glue, eats catfood and drinks beer to get him to a stage where he can pass out without being bothered by all the cats outside. Dee thinks this is ridiculous, but then as the cats start yowling Frank just bursts through the door and without a word starts scoffing down catfood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shadow posted:

Holy poo poo, when you guys were mentioning Charlie Work I just assumed it was the Charlie's birthday episode with the rat king. Apparently I missed this one a few weeks ago. One of the best episodes I've seen in a while. Charlie was on FIRE.

That was just fantastic.

Yeah that episode was incredible, and I loved reading up on it and realizing that the Birdman parallels were a complete coincidence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ariza posted:

I know it was mentioned before, but everyone should listen to Mac on WTF. It's very interesting and he's got a lot of interesting stories about his past. he did a lot of coke and his Mom is a lesbian

Is she, or did Dennis just convince him that was the case because why else wouldn't she find Dennis sexually attractive? :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

wizardstick posted:

Gotta admit. I have never seen Key & Peele but seeing Keegan-Michael Key in Parks & Rec, The Middle and now Always Sunny all in the space of a fortnight makes me really appreciate his acting ability.

Check out Fargo (the tv series) too if you haven't seen it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

If we're talking Dennis trauma, it's going to be hard to top Frank tricking Dennis into digging up his dead mom.

:qq: My mommy's a skeleton! :qq:

I feel too much! I FEEL TOO MUCH! :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FELD1 posted:

I just realized that Frank basically inserted himself into his estranged kids' lives, then proceeded to become closer with their friends and break them down psychologically.

In any other show I would hate his guts, but drat I can't help but love him and his crazy antics.

I love how quickly he got a read on the group, too. "I'd really like to hang out with Mac, because I have a feeling I could easily manipulate him into doing anything I want!"

Frank is basically a human Bender :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dee just appearing behind Charlie inside his apartment was great, but even better when it's later revealed Mac was hiding in there the whole time too. I also love that he made a point of grabbing some more blood from Frank since he figured they'd probably end up wanting more later.

I also love when normal people find their way into the Gang's schemes, the doctor's exasperated,"I don't even know who that is," when they ask if Frank is Charlie's father was hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He didn't wear the sunglasses so Charlie could tell how scared he was, that's where his plan went wrong.

I was wondering if maybe this was part of his plan to play both sides, but I guess it can't have been that or he would have told everybody beforehand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love this show :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

timp posted:

old people love CSPAN

I love CSPAN..... :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's also got British Cricket's head exploding, which is amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The second ever episode of the show had Mac's hypocritical religious beliefs brought up, and he was more than happy to pretend to be ultra-religious in order to bang the pro-lifer.

Dennis calmly deciding to climb over the fence so he could try to score with women on the different side of the argument was hilarious too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

illiteracy? what does that word even mean?

Stupid science bitches couldn't even make I (Doc) smarter! :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Her dry heave during her stand-up performance gets the most attention, but I love her timid little voice when she gets up there in the first place - it really sells how completely terrified by the experience she is, and how unnatural her character is as a stand-up.

For all of Artemis' faults, you can't deny she has utter confidence in herself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ that was great, with far too many amazing moments to count, though Rex's,"....oh poo poo!" when he learns about the Supreme Overlord Master was pretty spectacular. Dennis jumping straight to the endgame and telling them to commit group suicide was incredible too.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I need a gif of Dennis almost running into the wall, that was hilarious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Did anyone else feel that this season just felt different from the others? I can really pin point it but there was something about the progression of the episodes that felt very different to the usual pace.

Having watched the first 9.5 seasons in the space of a couple of weeks before taking the last 3 of this season at a regular pace, I honestly have to say that all the seasons kind of blur together for me with no real apparent dip in quality or feel (which is remarkable) - none of the episodes this season felt out of place with anything else I've seen, even my least favorite (Family Fight) was still fun, and didn't feel particularly different to other episodes in other seasons that didn't quite wow me like episodes around them did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I love that it's Fat Mac.

It's crazy that Fat Mac was only around for a season but ever since then it's felt weird to me seeing him without all that cultivated mass.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

That's because it was interesting and, dare I say, Rob was playing with the medium with Fat Mac.

I recall hearing something about how he was always frustrated when a show starts with quirky, poor or otherwise "odd" people and as their shows become more popular, they start dressing better, getting nicer haircuts, becoming "cool" etc and he wanted to go the opposite and have Mac completely fall apart physically. Didn't he want the ENTIRE cast to get fat, too? That would have been pretty hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Dennis getting angry at Mac and manipulating him as if he were his boyfriend was great

As if?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it makes sense, Charlie is the toughest guy any of us know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just assumed that it was a bar thing designed to open multiple (or at least two) bottles of beer at once v:shobon:v

Edit: Or wine, in this case.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

timp posted:

What kind of jabroni goes around blasting a stranger in the rear end like that??

Maybe he was just establishing dominance? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That tattoo parlor knows it only has a few weeks to live and it wants to get weird with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I almost died from laughter the first time I watched "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth"

"EVEN SHARKS......NEED WART-AH!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I guess if you care about chronology, "Frank sets Dee on fire" is a relatively early episode that gives plenty of air time to all characters.

I love it when they call back to the fact that they just keep recording over that one tape, so they'll be watching something and then cut to Dee screaming on fire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Which episode is it when they visit Maureen Ponderosa and she's a freaky cat lady? That really got me going.

I think that is Mac Kills His Dad, and they visit her because her brother has decided to kill himself. Frank, Dennis and Dee are trying to give him a reason to live.... until they figure they can take out a life insurance policy on him.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 13, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Christ I'd forgotten all about Frank bringing a gun to fight the fire with :allears:

I can't even explain the noise that came out of my mouth the first time I saw this scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

She also hosed Frank on purpose.

Charlie's silent tears as she screams at Dennis that she hosed Frank are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't he want to be Fat Mac FOREVER? But his doctor told him,"Holy poo poo dude, lose the loving weight :stare:"

Also, didn't he want the entire cast to get fat? :allears: