Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was amazing. Charlie's segment being animated was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I really, really hope that the Waitress is in more than one episode this season, because there's no reason for her to not be in this one.

Can only see that going as Charlie gets super smart, woos the waitress, then realises he is going to get dumb again so pushes her away as to not ruin the little time they had.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the episode though, since I don't think they'll actually make him smart but instead it will be some sort of The Gang Breaks Dee twist.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ror posted:

It's OK, calm down...

I've drunk some awful poo poo in my time.

Despite living smack bang between the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale (two of Australia's good wine making regions) I'm still known to buy box wine rather than just driving to cellar doors because it's easier.

But can wine? Sweet Jesus.

I feel like if you opened that can it would be empty except for a small note containing the number of a suicide hotline.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 13, 2013

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The perfect video.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

neckbeard posted:

Maybe it was the longer, lighter, hair, but Waitress looked... a bit different in the face.

I noticed that, I wonder if part of it was intentional to make her look more ditzy.

Sefal posted:

I lost it at the reveal of Charlie's invention.
Cat talking with Spydar

This episode did the same thing as The Gang Breaks Dee, where it made me think that they had actually produced bad fan fic and made Charlie smart, so I loved that reveal.

The only bad thing about the episode was that it seemed to borrow quite a few Simpsons/Futurama jokes,

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Harry posted:

That ridiculous grin Dee gives after she lets go of the mouse trap was amazing. I'm a little surprised several people here actually thought Charlie was getting smarter though.

The gang being so stupid in this episode (especially Dee doing that Homer Simpson level joke of holding onto the trap) made the episode feel off, which is why I started to think maybe they were going strange and actually making Charlie smarter.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

They only got hyper-stupid after they started huffing gas for like an hour. She wasn't originally holding onto the trap, this is how it went:

- Dee sticks her hand into the hole, gets hand stuck on trap
- They go get the gasoline to pour on the trap to get her unstuck, but they all huff it for like an hour and lose their minds
- Eventually they pour it onto the trap but at that point Dee is too dumb to let go of it and they say gently caress it and put on cartoons.

Ah, that makes sense.

Ariza posted:

What was there besides the holding on to the trap gag? It's weird that this was the GoT writers episode. I definitely would not have picked up on that if someone didn't mention it.

The holding onto the trap thing, the electrified cheese at the start was the same as Bart trying to grab an electrified cupcake.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drifter posted:

What? No, it's literally a thing. A very tasty, very popular thing. It's salt and oil and it crisps the gently caress out of the skin, and adds delicious flavorings.

I assume you brush all the salt off after cooking?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Favorite thing in the episode right there.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Goonbags are the best because they float, so you can be swimming around in a pool, take a mouthfull, leave the bag floating around and then come back to it later.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Well I know what I'm watching tonight.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know that Day-Man is worn out in some people's view, but the other day at the Adelaide Big Day Out festival it was quite a kick to hear Portgual, The Man unexpectedly play it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Unled posted:

Charlie Day's (really good) Merrimack College Commencement Address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulvPqb1Eus

That was really good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rack posted:

All I know is Fat Mac was the Best Mac. This is all the proof you need.

Commander Riker loves to party.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That makes absolutely no sense, and is glorious.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Feriowind posted:

My friend made this animated kinetic typography of the scene where Dennis and Mac make a dating profile for Charlie and it's amazing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLMpjPuQek

That is AMAZING. How long did it take him to make that?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DNova posted:

According to this site: http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/

30 beers in 8 hours for a 160 pound male results in a BAC of 0.626%. The LD50 for ethanol is variously reported as 0.40% to 0.50%

Of course it is not impossible but it's not likely most people would remain conscious through that.

0.398 if you put in light beer, which is what they were drinking.

Still high but Dee was unconscious, Charlie couldn't even speak anymore, and we know the gang are all extreme alcoholics so it's not really extreme for them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't pull a dream ending on Charlie hitting the good ball. The whole time they were building up to him hitting a great shot I was thinking it was such a cliche of the show to do a shot where he hits it well then cuts to him doing something entirely different blind drunk, but they pulled a nice misdirect on the expectations there.

Just goes to show that once again Charlie is the most competent member of the group.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

goldblums eyes posted:

Have there been any interviews you guys have seen that you'd highly recommend? I've watched always sunny since the first episode but realized I've never seen them talk in an interview. Please don't tell me they're idiots?

It's not really an interview, but this commencement address by Charlie Day is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulvPqb1Eus

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have no idea, but I choose to believe he just kind of showed up on the set one day and refused to leave.

Edit: Hold on, I think I found the answer http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/60d14b6331/danny-devito-the-contract-from-danny-devito

Well that's gonna haunt my dreams tonight.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly was the scam though? They bought airline miles and used those to buy steaks. They planned on contaminating the steaks (how would anyone even detect the contamination with the original plan?) with the chickens and then sending the steaks back to get cash. Where do they make money? They'd have to just pay off Frank's credit card as well as pay for those chickens. Not to mention that vacuum sealer.

Frank already had the airline miles. They planned on unwrapping the steaks, putting feathers on them, then shrink wrapping them back up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is that the first time we've seen the pantry? Usually the only parts of the bar we see are the main area and the office.

I was wondering the same thing with the basement, have we actually seen it before?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When I first started watching the show I resented Frank a bit. I assumed he had been forced onto the show by the network as a known name draw for marketing.

Luckily he fit in straight away.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

Frank was at least once a very successful (if not normal) person, so I always imagine he's got like a 50/50 shot of being able to pass in regular society, depending on where his head's at that day. None of the other characters can really do that, outside of rare moments.

Yeah, Frank is smart and very self aware. He just doesn't give a poo poo what anyone thinks anymore and does the things he does with the gang because he enjoys it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

No idea how the hell they'd do it, but hoping that Being Frank is some sort of Being John Malkovich reference.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I can picture a reveal at some point that all the talk from Dennis about rope and the like is because he sees himself as some Batmanesque defender of Philadelphia.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SlipkPIe posted:

What started as a show about middle-aged people playing young-ish people hanging out with one old person, is now about old people hanging out with one even older person. It'll never have the insane energy it used to, but they've managed to harness that into making these characters feel more pathetic than ever, and it totally works

As far as I'm aware they've always played the characters at around their real ages. At the start of the series they were all late 20's.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've really enjoyed the last three episodes, it's just the direction that feels slightly off. It seems a little more standard sitcommey if that makes sense.

Not a complaint though, very happy up till now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Up to now, Always Sunny has almost always done a perfect job of making it so that you are laughing at the characters for their idiocy when they do some horrific thing, rather than making the audience laugh with them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm putting this episodes feel down to Glenn being inexperienced at directing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

potee posted:

I don't think it matters that much since none of the gang would ever bother to actually vote. :shrug:

If there was a Florida 2000 type situation centered around Philly it would be a great episode to see how the gang had accidentally caused the result to come about by affecting a few people on that day, without ever revealing which way they swung it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

The Last of Us but with Cricket as Ellie.

https://twitter.com/RMcElhenney/status/1239419648900128773?s=20

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Great news, but they're 20 years off claiming the longest running comedy title if you count shows from outside the US. Last Of The Summer Wine in the UK did 31 seasons over 37 years.

I hope they try to break that record.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Were they actually seasons? Or was it the typical UK thing where they put out 2 episodes per year.

295 episodes total.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Fewer than 8 episodes a season :allears:

9.5 episodes a season on average, for reference IASIP is 11.

In many ways Frank reminds me of Compo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Always Sunny has changed in lots of ways, but it's the nature of the show taking it's characters seriously despite their insanity.

They started off in their 20's, living a dream of owning a bar together. Now they're hurtling into middle age still in the same situation and the show acknowledges that.

The changes in Dennis are my favourite for being some of the most subtle. He still acts basically the same, but the poo poo which once worked for him now fails most of the time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

Not related but this scene is absolutely proto frank poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oeye3yGBXU

Never seen that movie and now I want to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sunny is going to peak in season 27 when Devito passes and they continue filming the season with
his body Weekend At Bernies style.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 5, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

It's not 1930. Who the gently caress is laughing at blackface just for the blackface? Nobody under the age of 80 is a good guess. People are laughing at the joke, which usually revolves around the absurdity of blackface, because nobody watching the show actually thinks the blackface in and of itself is funny.

That seems to be not very racist, but nuance and intent are dead so who knows.

My wife has a lot of family who live in Queensland, and a few months back they had an "Africa themed costume party".

Guess what the costume was that her aunt and uncle proudly put on the family group chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

lastly, you could very clearly see the inside of the "bar" when they open it in the final scene and you can tell it's not the bar in there. fans of the show already know this but they hide it way better in every other episode. if you're gonna do an origin story then spend a little extra time on smoke and mirrors. did they blow all their budget on the cgi monkey in the next episode?

In a show like Sunny I couldn't really care about that.

I did like the low-tech solution of having a big truck parked opposite the bar to hide that area looking different now.