Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm trying to read The World is Mine too, and yeah, some of this stuff is nigh-incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just read all of Hideout in one poop. Good rear end comic.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm trying to read The World is Mine too, and yeah, some of this stuff is nigh-incomprehensible.
Yeah, one of the reviews I linked says that the first volume is the most frustrating to get through (and I agree). Push on through, though, and the extended sequence at the police station might ground it enough for you.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a joke post right, you do know that Hiro is an actual name in Japan like John or Ben would be in the US?

No durr, but if a dozen movies came out in a row with the protagonist named "John Doe", that would get old fast, right?

Haruto is the most common male first name in Japan, wikipedia pegs eleven fictional characters named that. Four are main characters.
Ryu is such a common name, TV Tropes has a page about protagonists named Ryu. Wiki pegs nine fictional characters with that name. Three, arguably four, could be called main characters.
Jun is the second most common name on Wiki for fictional asian names. There's 13. A handful are protagonists.
Hiro has eighteen loving wiki mentions, almost half of which are protagonists. Hiro, or the original names it's based off of, aren't anywhere near the most common names in Japan, yet it blows the rest of this list away.

(P.S. I know wikipedia doesn't even come close to documenting all the uses in manga, but it's a decent enough sampling. I guarantee that if you're spergy enough to troll mangalist or some poo poo and tally up all the protag names, the numbers will still come out similar.)

I'll concede that a number of the "Hiro"s are in western works, like Heroes, Snowcrash, Big Hero 6, but still. That poo poo is everywhere. And don't give me that tired chestnut "But in nihongo it doesn't mean 'Hero'~!" A fuckton of Japanese people speak a little english, and the english word "Hero" is well-known enough over there for that pun to work. It's everywhere, and it's annoying. Snowcrash was fantastic, and first. Everything after that has gradually chipped away at the joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cool! Didn't know this thread existed.

I think a lot of western comic book fans here would like Hellsing. You could always just watch the OVA, but the mangaka is such a good artist and it's really amazing to look at. Art aside, there's some creepy stuff in the first bits, but that doesn't stick around at all. Hellsing is really a masterpiece and I'd call it one of the best things I've ever read. The main character, Alucard, is a lot like an anti heroic vampire superhero. It's a great read, I can't reccomend it enough. It's pretty dark and bloody, but there's a lot of comedy and fun action too so it's not a depressing slog.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

It was recommended a long time ago in this thread, but I finally got around to reading Assassination Classroom. I'm about 46 chapters in and really loving it so far. Sometimes it can feel a little dumb in an "After School Special" way but the majority of the time I really love the good balance between comedy and underdog story.

e) About Hellsing. I always felt like I was reading an incomplete story when it came to the manga. The art was great, but at the same time I had a really hard time following the action. Of course I started reading it when I just started getting into manga so I'm not sure if that was the case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Assassination Classroom isn't perfect but it's certainly fun. It suffers I feel from being such a massively popular series but it rarely drags for very long.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
You probably should recommend stuff that can be read legally, much like how you did that in ADTRW. There are a ton of great manga that can be read without resorting to scanlations.

Your OP even links to licensed series that can be read legally for as cheap as 5 dollars on crunchyroll's manga service.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 19, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Hurt posted:

e) About Hellsing. I always felt like I was reading an incomplete story when it came to the manga. The art was great, but at the same time I had a really hard time following the action. Of course I started reading it when I just started getting into manga so I'm not sure if that was the case.

Did you read the full thing or before it was finished? It seems like a silly question, but it did take forever for Hirano to finish it.

I admit that even complete, the story can be kind of confusing in parts, and the ova is easier to follow. Looking past that though, it's really terrific.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Uznare posted:

You probably should recommend stuff that can be read legally, much like how you did that in ADTRW. There are a ton of great manga that can be read without resorting to scanlations.

Your OP even links to licensed series that can be read legally for as cheap as 5 dollars on crunchyroll's manga service.

That would exclude series such as Qualia of Purple and I Am a Hero from recommendations, so you can kindly stuff it.

There are some great series that get to be licensed from time to time, but licensing is a business and playing it safe is a good business practice, meaning there is a metric fuckton of Shonen Powerlevel Friends X type series for one or two genuinely interesting seinen ones. Recommendations, and indeed scanlations give a bigger chance for more experimental series to gain fans from outside of Japan.

Then there's poo poo like Dark Horse putting Eden on indefinite hiatus and all the older volumes being out of print and hell of rare.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I shall add something in here that is slightly different than the mangas previously mentioned.

The Gamer is not actually manga. It's a manhwa.

What is the difference? Manga is japanese, while Manhwa is korean. At first glance people would easily confuse the two, but I have often found that korean humor is somewhat of a mix of american and japanese. Both america and japan have very strong cultural influences in Korea, and Manhwa often reflects this. If you've tried reading manga before and just haven't really managed to get into it, I suggest checking out this Manhwa.

The Gamer is all about a young man named Han Jee Han who loves MMOs and games so much that the world itself bestowed upon him a fantastic ability - to become a game character in real life.

Above everyone's heads he sees their names and levels. His physical and mental characteristics are represented by statistics which he can adjust to instantly become stronger or smarter. He can learn skills from books just by touching them, and eating an apple or drinking milk will restore his HP. If his mother asks him to go to the store a quest popup shows up which grants him EXP when completed.

Upon finding himself with this ability, he begins to learn about a hidden world around him - the abyss, full of people who have been granted exceptional powers. Some via training, others born with them, and some acquiring them seemingly at random. Even his best friend is secretly a part of this dangerous world. But the Abyss is not a friendly place; slavery, human trafficking, and worse lurk under the surface. In order to survive in this world Han Jee Han must learn to control and use his unique ability to grow strong enough to stand on his own.

Some parts move extremely rapidly, others move at a more sedate pace but it never really gets too bogged down. Also being a game-like setting there's no cases where the hero powers up just through 'BURNING PASSION', but rather it's all logic and intelligence and planning that lets him succeed.

Being a webcomic, it is translated and available on several sites entirely legally. You can read the entire thing free of charge on http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Laputanmachine posted:

Then there's poo poo like Dark Horse putting Eden on indefinite hiatus and all the older volumes being out of print and hell of rare.

Still sucks there's no Blame! in circulation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You can buy it in french.

Actually, there's a ton of manga available in french that isn't available in english.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

That would exclude series such as Qualia of Purple and I Am a Hero from recommendations, so you can kindly stuff it.

There are some great series that get to be licensed from time to time, but licensing is a business and playing it safe is a good business practice, meaning there is a metric fuckton of Shonen Powerlevel Friends X type series for one or two genuinely interesting seinen ones. Recommendations, and indeed scanlations give a bigger chance for more experimental series to gain fans from outside of Japan.

I take issue with this when the same poster peddles expensive comic books in the anime subforum and doesn't offer any alternatives except buying books one might not like. And a ton of these manga in the thread are totally available legally since the time the OP posted this thread. At worst they could link to the amazon.co.jp pages for the titles without licenses if anyone felt compelled to support their favorite manga even if reading the scanlations because they ship to the US very cheaply and without issues.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 20, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Laputanmachine posted:

I don't think he was saying "Only link to manga you can buy and don't link to the online reading sites", I think he was saying it would be a good idea to add links to where you can buy it.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I don't think he was saying "Only link to manga you can buy and don't link to the online reading sites", I think he was saying it would be a good idea to add links to where you can buy it.

It was a mix of both things I suppose. The OP is very inconsistent because for out of print stuff like Paradise Kiss it links the amazon page for it. But stuff that is readily available like Attack on Titan is listed with a scanlation site. Having both types of links would be ideal.

That said my original post did imply that the OP should mostly link manga you can buy.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 20, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doesn't linking to scanlations of legally avalible series' count as :filez: anyway?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WickedHate posted:

Doesn't linking to scanlations of legally avalible series' count as :filez: anyway?

Because of the sheer amount that you can't purchase in languages other than Japanese (or at all), it's become a pretty big gray area. This thread exists, so I'm going to err on the side of no, it doesn't. At least, not on SA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People routinely bring this up and the answer is always silence from the mods.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I mean it is explicitly against the rules in BSS and kind of against the rules in ADTRW.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It seems kind of obvious. If most aren't avalible in English shouldn't matter or not, linking ones that are(like Attack on Titan) isn't any different then linking to torrents of the latest Detective Comics.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Because of the sheer amount that you can't purchase in languages other than Japanese (or at all), it's become a pretty big gray area. This thread exists, so I'm going to err on the side of no, it doesn't. At least, not on SA.

It's against the rules in ADTRW to link legally licensed material. I have no idea what the stance is in BSS.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 20, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From a legal standpoint (I am not a lawyer), I don't think the presence or absence of a license does anything in terms of the forum's theoretical liability. It still is, legally, :filez:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 20, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We've linked to plenty of scanlations of Junji Ito short stories in the horror thread and it was never an issue. I guess it's a grey area, but poo poo you know is never going to get licensed is probably not going to ruffle any feathers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Uznare posted:

I take issue with this when the same poster peddles expensive comic books in the anime subforum and doesn't offer any alternatives except buying books one might not like. And a ton of these manga in the thread are totally available legally since the time the OP posted this thread. At worst they could link to the amazon.co.jp pages for the titles without licenses if anyone felt compelled to support their favorite manga even if reading the scanlations because they ship to the US very cheaply and without issues.

While you do have a point, you could say it not in such an accusatory way. In fact, some of the series in this thread were licensed because they were recommended here(fort of the apocalypse, soredemo, spirit circle, a silent voice, I'm in mari, and biscuit hammer were picked up by Crunchyroll after mentioning them to someone with ties to the site through this thread). I will admit I never edited the OP's recommendations and samplers to add links to buy appropriate series legally, and for that I apologize, I will do so now.

Buying series in a language you cannot read however I think is pointless. I would never buy a book in a language I can't read, even if I wanted to support the author. I will put Amazon.co.jp links where appropriate though if people really feel that strongly about buying the tankobons.

Uznare posted:

It was a mix of both things I suppose. The OP is very inconsistent because for out of print stuff like Paradise Kiss it links the amazon page for it. But stuff that is readily available like Attack on Titan is listed with a scanlation site. Having both types of links would be ideal.
Paradise Kiss is out of print? The stuff I linked are the reprints.

quote:

That said my original post did imply that the OP should mostly link manga you can buy.
I appreciate the suggestion but frankly there's a ton of good stuff that's never been licensed and has only been, and likely will only ever be, available via scanlation. I have recommended as much localized stuff as I've read and considered worth recommending, though some series have become licensed between my posting them and now, and I just never heard about it getting picked up.

I Am A Hero and Yokohama Shopping Trip not being licensed to this day baffles me.

edit: if you have links to where to legally purchase series that have been localized and recommended in this thread that lack a link to an appropriate source, by all means let me know via PM. I know there's Crunchyroll and Amazon, but outside of that, not 100% sure of other means.

edit: oh yeah, A Silent Voice and Fort of the Apocalypse were picked up by Crunchyroll by this thread's recommendation as well. So there's that too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, I've replaced links and/or added Amazon/Crunchyroll/WSJ links, let me know if I missed anything. I'm not very good at finding official amazon.co.jp pages(I.E. not resellers) so any help with that would be much appreciated. For example I was not able to find links to purchase Hinamatsuri volumes because that is also the name of a traditional japanese holiday apparently and so the only results I found were things for that.

I also attempted to get Ai-Ren licensed at one point and spoke briefly with the author(though our conversation was via google translate of course), who appreciated the effort but thought that an older series would never get picked up for an English version at this point, though they did say they'd let me know if ever it got licensed.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

khy posted:

Being a webcomic, it is translated and available on several sites entirely legally. You can read the entire thing free of charge on http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/.

The site is back up if anyone was trying to read it yesterday and couldn't.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

khy posted:

The site is back up if anyone was trying to read it yesterday and couldn't.

Many of these Naver webcomics pay the writers/artists based on hits so you can go to the official english site and help them out.

Downside is that some of the series are significantly behind their current release (this include the Gamer).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Many of these Naver webcomics pay the writers/artists based on hits so you can go to the official english site and help them out.

Downside is that some of the series are significantly behind their current release (this include the Gamer).

Ooh, excellent point. I hadn't known that, but thank you for linking! (Time to binge on The Gamer to help the artist)

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

khy posted:

Ooh, excellent point. I hadn't known that, but thank you for linking! (Time to binge on The Gamer to help the artist)
The translation seems a little shaky, but I like the concept enough that it doesn't bother me too much.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

We actually had a big discussion in the Gamer thread about similar kinds of stuff, which I promptly sperged out in. A few of the series which I've found are similar in tone or theme that I enjoy are:

DICE: The Cube That Changes Everything. Magical dice allow duder to hack his own stats in real life. Mistakes are made, the dice are spread around his school, and well... Let's just say that teenagers probably aren't the most responsible stewards for crazy superpowers. :regd08:
Pros - Updates fairly often. Good art. Main character is believable and likable.
Cons - 10-15% of the comic is flashbacks. Stupid decisions and high-school drama are rampant. A few characters are pretty much :moreevil:

Hero BBS. A group of multidimensional heroes create a psychic messaging board, where various types of heroes throughout different universes can chat, ask for help, and make fun of each other.
Pros - Funny as poo poo. Despite most chapters being self-contained, has a lot of callbacks, yet doesn't pad out pages with flashbacks. Probably the best depiction of a multidimensional superhero goon. :goon:
Cons - Glacial update rate. A lot of the humor depends on knowing what they're talking about. Anime. As. gently caress. :japan:

World Customize Creator. A guy wishes for more customization in his life. Is dropped into a fantasy world, with the unique ability to customize anything, with almost zero restrictions. (Examples: Can customize clothes by resizing them to fit. Can customize a city by creating a tower in the middle of a plaza. Can customize a sword by boosting it's stats so the sword actually cuts better and is easier to swing.)
Pros - Likable main character. Updates regularly, once a month. Interesting concept.
Cons - Not really standout in any one way, kind of bland fantasy. Too much talking, not enough action.

New Saga. The hero saves the world, and defeats the evil demon. Too bad the world is hosed anyway, everyone he knows is dead, and billions of people have been murdered. While investigating the demon's treasure room, the hero discovers a magical stone that sends him back in time to before the war began. The hero then sets out to basically cheat-code his way into a painless victory, by knowing everything that's going to happen ahead of time, and save everyone.
Pros - Best concept ever, and the dude totally sells it. Updates once a month. Could very easy turn boring, but the author finds way to keep it interesting.
Cons - Weirdest romantic "tension" ever. Has pulled the "Now I show you my real power" trick too many times already.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
This thread sucks because

a) it (and your posts in the giant bomb thread) made me read mangas and in turn watch JoJo and a few other animes.

b) I started reading four things, none of which are complete, 2 of which, one punch man and I am a hero seem to be really popular so I'm guessing they will keep getting updated, but the other two I started, the female MMA one which i picked up because I haven't seen that story in basically any piece of media and Qualia the purple which I picked up for the quantum mechanics. Both of them don't seem to have updated for like 6 months and don't have many comments so I'm guessing they aren't very popular?

Also like 75% of the comments on the MMA one are some dude posting about how much he wants to get his balls crushed by the main character and 75% for Qualia are one dude basically saying "wow this is hella yuri" over and over again :negative:

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
You can start reading Shamo, the manga comic where sometimes people literally DO have their balls crushed.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kuno posted:

This thread sucks because

a) it (and your posts in the giant bomb thread) made me read mangas and in turn watch JoJo and a few other animes.

b) I started reading four things, none of which are complete, 2 of which, one punch man and I am a hero seem to be really popular so I'm guessing they will keep getting updated, but the other two I started, the female MMA one which i picked up because I haven't seen that story in basically any piece of media and Qualia the purple which I picked up for the quantum mechanics. Both of them don't seem to have updated for like 6 months and don't have many comments so I'm guessing they aren't very popular?

Also like 75% of the comments on the MMA one are some dude posting about how much he wants to get his balls crushed by the main character and 75% for Qualia are one dude basically saying "wow this is hella yuri" over and over again :negative:

FutureCop is posting page by page updates of Qualia over in the ADTRW thread: they're on the second to last chapter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3557415

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, qualia was getting updates very quickly but then the translator who also had an understanding of quantum mechanics(a rarity among translators! ) suddenly needed to do other things and stopped working on it.

I don't know what happened to teppu. I think it's on hiatus in Japan as well which really sucks.

Please install a comment blocker for disqus because I have never read a comment worth reading on it. They are worse than youtube comments most of the time.

You should try some of the completed series. I recommend Yokohama Shopping Trip.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 22, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

GorfZaplen posted:

FutureCop is posting page by page updates of Qualia over in the ADTRW thread: they're on the second to last chapter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3557415

I checked the thread, and it looks interesting, but I can't find where the series begins. It looks like they start the translations in chapter 14? Where's chapters 1-13?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

I checked the thread, and it looks interesting, but I can't find where the series begins. It looks like they start the translations in chapter 14? Where's chapters 1-13?

Here ya go!
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/qualia-the-purple-r9114

Also, everyone read Yokohama Shopping Trip :colbert:
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-r1110

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Teppu came off of hiatus a while ago, but it was on hiatus for a very long time because the mangaka was severely sick (as in, people were saying it would never be finished, the mangaka was dying, etc) and I guess interest from the scanlators died off during that time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I'm more of a fan of Kissmanga simply because you can load an entire chapter in one go instead of page by page.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Yokohama-Kaidashi-Kikou/0?id=59330

It's baffling to me that Yokohama Shopping Trip never got licensed. Like, of any series, even I Am A Hero, Yokohama Shopping Trip has some of the best overall user ratings on Baka Updates, with ten times as many 8+ ratings as 7's, and a hundred times more than anything lower than that. It's a staggeringly good, relaxing, melancholy series.

AnonSpore posted:

Teppu came off of hiatus a while ago, but it was on hiatus for a very long time because the mangaka was severely sick (as in, people were saying it would never be finished, the mangaka was dying, etc) and I guess interest from the scanlators died off during that time.
That's good to know that he/she is okay. A similar thing happened to the author of Battle Angel Alita.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm more of a fan of Kissmanga simply because you can load an entire chapter in one go instead of page by page.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Yokohama-Kaidashi-Kikou/0?id=59330

I realize this is a bit of an edge case, but Kissmanga's image hosting is blocked in China, so I appreciate Batoto links.