Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There was a similar thread a few months back, so I'm just going to pirate my post from that, for this.

Takako Shimura's Wandering Son tells the stories of two young people just on the cusp of adolescence.
I'll let the official Fantagraphics page tell you why it's good though:

Fantagraphics posted:

A sensitive masterpiece from Japan's most prominent creator of LGBT manga. Shuichi is a boy who wants to be a girl, and Yoshino is a girl who wants to be a boy. Shimura portrays their journey with affection, sensitivity and humor.

Not only is it a touching story about a couple of LGBT kids, it's one of the best stories about adolescence I've ever read. The US version is crazy high quality too: hardcover, great paper, nice binding and a great translation.
Shimura's art starts out a little plain, but soon develops into a really nice, delicate style with some absolutely fantastic line-work.

Check out all the details and long list of glowing reviews on the official page.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son.html?vmcchk=1
------

There's a good chance you've heard of Hayao Miyazaki, the master animator and director from Studio Ghibli. Well, way back when the studio was starting out he had to do a manga version alongside the film version of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

The film and the manga's stories diverge pretty drastically early on and the comic is one of the best science fiction epics I've encountered in any format. Strongly written characters and fantastic art make it exciting, thoughtful, and moving.

It also just got a wonderful new hardcover English edition, with a bunch of new color pages and a fancy box to keep the two volumes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's a picture of the Nausicaa box set.

And here it is on my Nerd Shelf:

(Not pictured: Yotsuba&, Paradise Kiss, Sailor Moon)

The only thing I don't like about it is how sound effects are handled. Putting the translations for all of the them in the back of each (huge) volume is actually more annoying than if they didn't even bother translating them at all. Redraw them or stick it in the gutters; no one wants to flip to the back of the book to see if those characters mean "vrmmmmm" or "whooooosh"

It's the only thing I miss about the old Perfect Collection, which (other than the translation, which is the same) is a bit worse with its way smaller format and flipped artwork.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's the End of the World As We Know It
----------------------------------------------

Hotel
Humanity is doomed.
Global warming and other environmental catastrophes have ensured that the the biosphere is wrecked and there's no going back. So what to do about it? Can't fix it, can't run from it, can't do a drat thing about it. Some scientists decide to build a Tower, a tower containing a record of humanity and some DNA samples, not as an Ark, not as anything hopeful...just as a monument, a tombstone for some other beings from somewhere else to find.

Something as if to say:
This was us. This is what we did. We're sorry.

Hotel is the story of the AI created to maintain the Tower as guard and overseer and the story follows it as time passes

A lot of time passes.

Read it Here. It's complete and only around 40 pages long, there are some other versions at that link, including the original Korean version and some other stories that apparently expand on the setting a bit. I didn't know those other things existed until making this post so I have no idea if they are good or bad.

All I know is Hotel, by itself, is a great read and doesn't really need anything else to go along side it.
----------------------------------------------

...And I Feel Fine.

Yokohama Shopping Trip / Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

After unspecified disasters: the oceans are way higher, somethings taken a good chunk out of Mt. Fuji, and the population is drastically reduced--humanity is in its twilight years. YKK tells the story of Alpha, an android who runs a small coffeshop in an out of the way coastal town in Japan.

a better summary than I could write posted:

Most chapters of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou are self-contained slice-of-life episodes depicting Alpha in daily activities, either alone, with customers, or on occasional trips through the countryside or into Yokohama for supplies (whence the "shopping log" of the title came). Whole chapters are devoted to brewing coffee, taking photographs, or repairing a tiny model aircraft engine, sometimes with only a few lines of dialogue. Through Alpha's experiences, the author brings out the small wonders of everyday life and makes the reader aware of their passing: the aircraft engine runs out of fuel; her scooter breaks down; the rising ocean encroaches on her coffee shop; the neighborhood children she loves grow up and move away. In evoking a nostalgia for this loss, Ashinano follows the Japanese tradition of mono no aware (sadness for the transience of things).

Though often self-contained, the stories have continuity—relationships grow and change, and seemingly insignificant details reappear later. Ashinano explains few details of Alpha's world, leaving mysteries that engage the reader as the series unfolds in a meandering progression, by turns funny, touching, and nostalgic

It's good.

It's really good. It might be one of my favorite things I've read in print, in fact. Its slow and languorous pace might not be for everyone, but if you think you might enjoy a fairly unique spin on the end of the world with some wonderful drawings you should give this one a look.

It's unlicensed and can be read at this link It's completed and fully translated, and maybe, just maybe someday someone will license it so I can legitimately own it. :gbsmith:

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a cute robot playing a gekkin, by herself--forever.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 1, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

So since there's no licensing on IAAH yet, I can ask: Where the heck are the chapters past 143? They are apparently out there, existing.. is it just that nobody wants to scanlate them?

I pulled this off of the site for the guys doing the scans:

quote:

I Am A Hero: No ETA for it atm. The translator (laika) is taking a break from translating and I don't know when he'll be back. If there's a competent translator around that wants to give us a hand, contact me.
It's from Dec 25th
http://www.illuminati-manga.com/

It kinda sucks, but that's how it goes with scans. Real print versions frequently take a lot longer to come out since they mostly work with full volumes, but at least you can look forward every couple of months to getting a new Yotsuba& or whatever.

It's such a bummer when a good, but unlicensed series you're enjoying gets sidelined for some random reason though.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 31, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Axiem posted:

I've also checked out Boku wa Mari no Naka, and am enjoying it (though I tend to like gender-bender/do-over stories). Though I'm trying to understand what all this about CrunchyRoll is from a bit ago. Does that mean that the only way I can actually read it and keep up with it is if I pay CrunchyRoll some money, or will stuff still show up on like, KissManga?

Crunchyroll is an official, licensed publisher/translator, kissmanga et al are sites that host fan scans and translations.

They just started doing manga a little bit ago, so I'm not really sure of all the details. But, I think that you can always read the latest chapter of their simul-pubs without being a member, but you need to have a membership to see the back catalogs.

E: whoops, what he said. ^^^^

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 16, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I did not know this. Thank you for telling me as this is the push I needed to go read the manga.

Nausicaa is kind of on a whole different level than most of the other suggestions in this thread (or in general). It reminds me of the quote about The Sandman books "if this isn't literature, nothing is".

I'm not even sure if the manga and anime align for even as much as a third, they start in the exact same place but diverge widely pretty quickly. Nausicaa the movie is a decent Stuido Ghibli film, and certainly an historic one, but probably not widely considered their best work. Nausicaa the manga is an outstanding piece of graphic art, and one of the greatest works of science fiction around.

i really like it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man I've been looking forward to that release for a while now, thanks for the heads up!

In other news, after offering it as a suggestion I decided it was time to re-read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and I really can't overstate just how much I love it. It's funny, poignant, silly, sad, thoughtful and beautiful all at once.

Here's a random assortment of pages that I hope might catch someone's interest.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crunchyroll has been pretty fantastic for anime, they're just starting to do manga too. So far it's been mediocre, but I hope it continues to improve.

Right now they're looking to release simultaneously with Japan, so they're starting with the most recent jp chapters, then working on the back catalogue.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh the premise is obviously ludicrous, it's also funny as all hell.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

I checked the thread, and it looks interesting, but I can't find where the series begins. It looks like they start the translations in chapter 14? Where's chapters 1-13?

Here ya go!
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/qualia-the-purple-r9114

Also, everyone read Yokohama Shopping Trip :colbert:
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-r1110

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not sure if I find it quite as bleak as you two exactly, but melancholy definitely.

There's definitely a reason I paired it up with Hotel though, you both should read that as well. If you click the "?" under my avatar you can find a link in one of my posts in this thread.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 11, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

Sounds great! I'll check it out. From what I read about Ghost in the Shell, there are some lesbian senses, but in a computer... or something...?

It was redrawn by the author (it's one page) for Dark Horse's release, then put back in for a later edition, now taken back out for Kodansha's version, which is actually the exact same as the old Dark Horse version and is currently the only one in print.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 23, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Shirow should try get more of his ip out there, like greasy tits and greasy tits 2.

He was good once.

Even if that was ages and ages ago.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TheComicFiend posted:

I actually read lucifer yeeeeeears ago, so it helped me get fired up to start this series.
I'm sure it's worth a reread at this point.

The guy that recommended lucifer in the first place hadn't heard of Spirit Circle, so I tossed it at him last night and I'm certain he's going to love it.

Buy it, it's good!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

Just chiming in to agree that Princess Jellyfish is really drat good. :allears:

I've been holding off on it so I could buy the print volumes, and yes. Yes it is.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hi Manga thread. Yen Press is now on Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/Yen-Pres...2_YenPressDebut
Bye Manga thread.

At the bare minimum that means Yotsuba&, so it's pretty great news.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah Land of The Lustrous has turned out to be a really strange and beautiful show.
https://streamable.com/q93ug

But since this is a comic thread i'll pitch this instead.

The 35th anniversary edition of Akira just came out and looks cool as hell and if i my volumes weren't still in good shape i'd be sorely tempted to buy this sucker.

It's $80 off right now (from 200) but to be fair, that is a lot of comic.
https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-A...L40_&dpSrc=srch

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Buy this.

https://twitter.com/brokeotaku/status/933743976074698752

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

The first one sounds like Shintaro Kago to me.

You are correct, the title is "Abstraction"
https://didjelirium.wordpress.com/2011/02/19/abstraction-by-shintaro-kago/

:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Recently i've been listening to a podcast that reminded me of this thread.

Mangasplaining is a podcast where 3 of the hosts introduce japanese comics to a fourth who has basically no knowledge of manga. The hosts are: Deb Aoki, David Brothers and Christopher Butcher all of whom work or worked at western manga distributors (also David used to post and mod here in BSS) and the 4th person is Chip Zdarsky, who's an artist and writer with work published by DC and Marvel, including Spider-man and Daredevil.

It's pretty good! They've picked some good stuff for him and it's fun to hear a comic professional's thoughts on this stuff. There's about 10 episodes so far, a sampling of things they've covered: Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yotsuba&, and Delicious in Dungeon. I've read some of what they've discussed, but not all, but thanks to them i've now read some Rumiko Takahashi, and i finally grabbed the 1st volumes of Delicious in Dungeon and Way of the Househusband, both of which i've liked every panel and page i've ever seen, but somehow hadn't started reading yet. The biggest complaint i have is that, for the most part, they only read the 1st volume and sometimes the things that make a manga series great don't really get rolling until the 2nd. Even Yotsuba, which i love to bits, hugely improves after vol. 1. It seems like they've all realised this as well and it sounds like they might read more of each series as they go on, or if it's short enough, just read the whole thing.

Coming up they've got Paradise Kiss, Naruto, and Beastars

e: a link i guess
e:e: also their show notes are really good and expansive